Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like something MS would do. Remember the energy they had after the 360? Then they managed to destroy, no, obliterate all that good will and momentum, it's like the universe actively works against them (and their awful decisions).

Sometimes I wonder if being a part of MS leads to some of these problems. Sure, they get the big war chest to help fund the acquisitions but then they have to answer to a superior. Yes this is true for PS as well, but they're really an entertainment company at heart.

Either way I hope all the MS Studios are successful from here on out. Don't like to see people losing their jobs.

Ultimate monkeys paw..maybe 100 billion invested does that to your plans.

Yeah. But also after spending that much it would be crazy not to have a good lineup.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
BD I can get behind. What did you not like about Lost Odyssey?
Mediocre battle system, its biggest sin. Story that has forced pathos and is way too overly serious without enough impact or payoff. Bad characters. One with the weird veiny breasts. Best part is the optional written short stories. Felt like a middle schooler's idea of what a mature RPG is. I actively disliked it! I also bought a 360 for the game so I was extremely angry at how much I disliked it.

Oct 28, 2017
I expect disappointment and MS devaluing my Series X purchase further. I also expect them to give me things they want me to have while ignoring my needs as a consumer. I've watched them for the last 20 years, and I think expecting anything different would be foolish.
If they're wanting to "compete as a publisher" and "put Xbox everywhere," as the Microsoft CEO said last summer, then the first major show since they acquired ABK would be a good place to make that abundantly clear.

That's the problem with wanting to have their cake and eat it too. It's a fine line to walk to appease new customers while keeping the old ones happy. MS have shown time and time again with ham-handed attempt after attempt that they are incapable of doing both gracefully. At the end of the day, they are going to alienate customers they already have for customers they are chasing like they did with Kinect. It's their standard M.O.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Sometimes I wonder if being a part of MS leads to some of these problems. Sure, they get the big war chest to help fund the acquisitions but then they have to answer to a superior. Yes this is true for PS as well, but they're really an entertainment company at heart.
On the contrary being part of MS has basically shielded the Xbox leadership from any accountability whatsoever. They should have been long fired and the Xbox division forced to correct some mistakes.. if xbox actually had to compete it probably would have done better.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I'd laugh if after all these years MS finally has the lineup to make people want to buy an Xbox, but then most of the games end up being multiplat.

No matter what exclusive content Microsoft releases, I don't foresee a sudden reversal in hardware sales. However, this is not a major concern, as the future of consoles remains uncertain. If you've tried GeForce Now, you might already be convinced of the potential of game streaming. If Xbox were to introduce their next console with multiple storefronts, there's a possibility that Microsoft could persuade regulators to require Sony to do the same. Many changes could be on the horizon, and I don't believe Microsoft's goal is simply to be a superior PlayStation.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
On the contrary being part of MS has basically shielded the Xbox leadership from any accountability whatsoever. They should have been long fired and the Xbox division forced to correct some mistakes.. if xbox actually had to compete it probably would have done better.

Good point. Imagine where they would be if they hadn't been able to purchase all the studios they have the last few years.

No matter what exclusive content Microsoft releases, I don't foresee a sudden reversal in hardware sales. However, this is not a major concern, as the future of consoles remains uncertain. If you've tried GeForce Now, you might already be convinced of the potential of game streaming. If Xbox were to introduce their next console with multiple storefronts, there's a possibility that Microsoft could persuade regulators to require Sony to do the same. Many changes could be on the horizon, and I don't believe Microsoft's goal is simply to be a superior PlayStation.

I've done remote play on to my steam deck with my ps5 and that's surprisingly good, but that's about it.

But yeah I think their fate has been sealed for a while. If they had bought all these studios last gen it might have made a difference. It will be interesting to see what the future holds.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Good point. Imagine where they would be if they hadn't been able to purchase all the studios they have the last few years.
Yeah they would have been forced to compete by competently investing in games and the console outside US instead of trying to price out their competition by using external money without any strategy. The horrors...This would have been actual market competition that people so desperately want here, lol.

vernacherMV

Feb 5, 2021
I'd laugh if after all these years MS finally has the lineup to make people want to buy an Xbox, but then most of the games end up being multiplat.
Did starfield make people want to buy xboxes? Despite its release, Xbox never came 1st in the npd. Did forza motorsport make people want to buy it? Hellblade 2, definitely isn't that game.

I guess xbox leadership could sit around and keep repeating "wait for the next game" but it seems like their choosing a different approach.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Been kinda yearning for some Halo lately for whatever reason and I enjoyed Infinite enough… kinda wonder why we didn't ever get campaign DLC?

Dec 11, 2017
Been kinda yearning for some Halo lately for whatever reason and I enjoyed Infinite enough… kinda wonder why we didn't ever get campaign DLC?
I believe it was scrapped after the management shake up and they laid off basically everyone involved in the campaign. It's my understanding MS essentially cut 343i down to the live team handling the ongoing multiplayer component. Presumably they are now rebuilding to make the next Halo game.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love for some more Battletoads. The 2019 game was super underrated and boy it was beautiful. Love for some more Banjo and Conker as well.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
People have chosen their platform of choice that already have too many games to play. You gotta go where the players are. They won't come to you.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just want release dates and gameplay: South of Midnight, Fable, and Clockwork Revolution in particular.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
time post an unpopular opinion... Neither Blue Dragon nor Lost Odyssey were very good.

Yeah, I never played BD. But LO has such a dry presentation. And Im really not down for reading that much text in a game. It was a great first go and should have been followed up in one way or another.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
It would be funny if MS showed more upcoming games for playstation than Sony this year.
Sony isn't talking about it (much) , but the China Hero Project is really ramping up and is gonna keep feeding them a steady stream of (console) exclusives in the near future. Stuff like Awaken: Astral Blade, Evotinction, and AI Limit are all slated as 2024 releases. And SIE itself is publishing Convalaria, a 3rd person shooter MMO, that was also featured in that "2024 for PlayStation" sizzle reel at the beginning of the year.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
My "someone is talking shit about Lost Odyssey" alarm just went off. Who is it??? Show yourselves!!!

Oh wait, its a mod. Err...never mind.

Go Arcanum!

PetyrBaeless

Apr 3, 2019
I have hopium for Fable to show up.

I also would love something from the world of Banjo-Kazooie, but I have much less hopium for that one.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
time post an unpopular opinion... Neither Blue Dragon nor Lost Odyssey were very good.

Is it really a unpopular opinion?

Haven't played BD so won't comment on that, but I finished LO on X360 and my memories from it are basically nonexistent while I still can remember a good amount of stuff from JRPGs I played during the PS2 era which was a few years before that. Looking at MC score and the game "only" has a 78 so reception among the press clearly wasn't as good as the big games in the genre.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the focus on graphics and narrative don't take away from State of Decay core features/gameplay. If I want a narrative driven game I'll play something from Sony. I love SoD because it's gameplay and mechanics.

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Dragon getting a rerelease is exciting news.
I imagine it'd be the beginning of other Mistwalker games making their way off the platforms they've been stuck on.

If they made a BD2, I wonder if it'd just be a Blue Dragon Plus remake. That always felt like they wanted to make a full sequel, but couldn't, so put the story into a DS RTS game. Lots of sequel hooks in BD culminated there.

jungius

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Sep 5, 2021
Blue Dragon getting a rerelease is exciting news.
I imagine it'd be the beginning of other Mistwalker games making their way off the platforms they've been stuck on.

If they made a BD2, I wonder if it'd just be a Blue Dragon Plus remake. That always felt like they wanted to make a full sequel, but couldn't, so put the story into a DS RTS game. Lots of sequel hooks in BD culminated there.

I am normally against acquisition of any kind but if somehow xbox acquire mistwalker or tri ace I will be so happy they will come from brink of death

I dont think its a sequel tho, first game isnt really well known / accessible

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a stretch to expect them to have a lot of stuff this year, just based on the leaks / how many games have been in the works for a while now.

Even even if just the known knowns show up that would already be a solid show.

The reactions to the multiplatform stuff are kinda overblown, IMO and largely from people who still view the industry too much through the lens of console wars.

I agree you on BD, but LO I still think was and is under appreciated.

Agreed, and they should get re-releases/PC versions regardless.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
MS right now has a whole basement full of dormat and dead IPs of their own that will never see the light of day.... "can MS aquire another giant publisher and fuck up everything good they had going on also?"

I just feel like Sony and Microsoft don't do much with their back catalog. I'd kill to have a Amped Trilogy or a Resistance Trilogy re-release. Project Gotham is still buried 6 feet under and would kill to play that over Forza. Nintendo uses their back catalog to fill in release gaps. Other companies should take note.

Quinton

Staff Writer at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
Blue Dragon is aight. Lost Odyssey is good.

I'll pass out pamphlets tomorrow. Don't listen to Ondore's lies.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Lost Odyssey, but people who pretend the actual story is good are kidding themselves. The dreams are great, the actual story taking place in cutscenes is horrible.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
I think this could be a big show for Halo news.

I remember a 343 post from not too long ago that mentioned something about bringing Halo to "new platforms". That plus the new Xbox multi platform push makes me think MCC, Infinite, or both on Switch 2 and PS5 is inevitable.

The battle royale project has also been rumored for awhile now so we might see a reveal for that here too.
Tatanka, the battle royale, is dead.

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I always found Blue Dragon much more charming and and overall better game than Lost Odyssey, especially gameplay wise. Both would definitely benefit from a remaster/modern release, since I recall they were kinda slow games in terms of load times and battle transitions.

Last edited:

Weldersbench

Nov 21, 2023
They need to be crystal clear on exactly which games are coming to which formats, because I don't think we can all take another 6 months to a year of endless speculation.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
They need to be crystal clear on exactly which games are coming to which formats, because I don't think we can all take another 6 months to a year of endless speculation.

The recent lack of clarity was by design and not due to negligence; they simply were not sure how things were going to pan out. If they are indeed more certain now about the future of Xbox, they should be pretty clear about where the games are being released.

They should.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Did starfield make people want to buy xboxes? Despite its release, Xbox never came 1st in the npd. Did forza motorsport make people want to buy it? Hellblade 2, definitely isn't that game.
Forza didn't move the needle at all which is insane considering it's viewed as one of their tentpole franchises back in the day. Maybe the Horizon series has surpassed Motorsport.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Forza didn't move the needle at all which is insane considering it's viewed as one of their tentpole franchises back in the day. Maybe the Horizon series has surpassed Motorsport.

Maybe? lol. Horizon has lapped Motorsport about 10x over.

Back in the day sure. Motorsport hadn't really been a tentpole for a few games, because Horizon completely absorbed their casual player base and became the real head of the franchise. The last Motorsport game in 2017 sold something like 1.7 million copies (pre-Game Pass), which I assume is why Microsoft were content to give them so long to work on the most recent one.

Maybe a resurgent Motorsport could've been a huge deal, if they'd released something that felt truly rebuilt and polished - but it didn't. They're still using some old erroneous car models going back over a decade, before they even used 3D scanning.

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I expect disappointment and MS devaluing my Series X purchase further. I also expect them to give me things they want me to have while ignoring my needs as a consumer. I've watched them for the last 20 years, and I think expecting anything different would be foolish.

That's the problem with wanting to have their cake and eat it too. It's a fine line to walk to appease new customers while keeping the old ones happy. MS have shown time and time again with ham-handed attempt after attempt that they are incapable of doing both gracefully. At the end of the day, they are going to alienate customers they already have for customers they are chasing like they did with Kinect. It's their standard M.O.

I want Spencer to face some firm lines of questioning about why anyone should buy an Xbox at this point, or why Series S|X owners shouldn't feel like they've been burned for buying in to the idea that these big games were coming and their purchases would be justified, only for them now to apparently be going everywhere. Why shouldn't those people feel like "well, I could've bought a PS5 and played your games plus theirs"? Because they would've missed out on the unfinished feeling Halo Infinite? The unfinished feeling Forza Motorsport? The dismal Redfall? Starfield? Should I feel justified in my purchase because I got to play Starfield? And maybe add "early" to the end of that sentence, if they announce a PS5 port at this thing. Flight Simulator? lol.

And if he starts spouting some evasive shite about wanting Xbox to be the "best place" to play games, point that's transparently not true between the fact that Xbox flat-out doesn't get Sony's games, or even that a couple of Xbox's recent PS5 ports actually look or perform better on the PS5. Ask him how either of those things are consistent with being the "best place to play".

And I'd definitely ask him about the closing of Tango, and how that's consistent with either all of his big talk about making inroads into Japan, or Booty's recent alleged comments about needing more small, critically acclaimed games.

Basically if Spencer isn't making a stinkface at the interviewer by the end, they've failed.