• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
PlaystationLifestyle

A comment from Sony on PlayStation Home is rare, and Ryan's statement wasn't part of a public conversation either. Documents published by a U.S. court in the wake of the Microsoft-Activision vs. FTC legal battle contained a Q&A between Ryan and investors at Fidelity. During the session, investors asked Ryan about Sony's metaverse strategy and whether PSVR2 would play a role in it.

Ryan said in his response that PS3's PlayStation Home was an early form of metaverse — one that was "probably" 10-15 years ahead of its time. "We have a couple of projects underway that are very exciting for us, in terms of creating some sort of game-type metaverse which can possibly have collaboration with other parts of Sony," Ryan added. "Sony's entertainment assets have huge potential in the metaverse area."

As far as PSVR2 is concerned, Ryan says it may have a role "down the road, more in the mid-term."

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
PlayStation Home was a lot of fun to spend time in. Mainly just talking to people at the bowling alley.

I'd definitely get a psvr2 to have the same dumb experience again.

Dec 23, 2017
Good times and PlayStation Home was something I'd hop on when I didn't have anything to do. Would hang out for hours at Edo Japan talking to folks and playing the mini-games there. If I wasn't doing that then I was hanging out in my Uncharted 2 apartment with a friend watching anime movies on my virtual TV via Crackle.

iu

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely was. Imagine if Home had launched with the PS4 and eventually got PSVR support? It would be thriving to this day.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Jim's not wrong.

The damn thing was pretty popular.

Also, I'm kind of surprised we don't have a current version of "Folding@Home", unless it's pretty pointless today due to AI?

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
A big problem with PS Home was the load times. Same with other things Sony did like Modnation Racers. If those things were on PS5 the load times wouldn't have been an issue and they would've done much better.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
My friend and I had a few very funny experiences just interacting with random people. I actually had some fun with it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Oh man, PS Home was wild and incredible fun. One of my friends and I spent a lot of time in the pool table and bowling.

Shame some of the ideas were stripped down for the final release. And yes, those loading times were brutal

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Why did they close PlayStation Home again? I thought it was making money with all those cosmetics.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
PS Home with VR experience and watch party would be dope. Like imagine a watch party in virtual theater of a live event or something. Like Sony could do an exclusive Madame Web screening inside PS Home virtual theater and it would explode in popularity for sure.

Last edited:

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Everything that everybody ever says "was ahead of its time" is usually very much a product of its time. Except that it was good.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
my only memory of PS Home was getting banned after a group of friends mass reported for standing near them in the town square

this set me down a dark path in life

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I really liked the concept of Home but it never really panned out.
I'd love to see them try again, but I hope they don't give up on it after 2 days.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
If I'm reading this right, ps home never got the player trophy room?!?
Bring it back so I can show off my Spelunky vita plat dammit

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I was actually a little surprised they shut it down when they did, I only checked in maybe a few times a year but I thought it was somewhat popular. Maybe it had just a very active niche audience.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It really was. Its a shame they didn't keep it going. Way better than the stupid little doo dads on a shelf in the PS App thing they are doing.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Was a neat concept and I enjoyed the time in it. Would have been great on PS4/PS5 if they actually delivered on their ambitions.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
kinda yeah altho i remember similar things being done on a much smaller scale before pshome.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I feel like everyone looks at it with rose-tinted glasses. It was neat and that's pretty much it. It might do better now since it would be more seamless. My memory was how janky it was in like every aspect.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
All they had to do was take Dreams and turn it into Home 2.0 instead of shutting it down. It was sort of ready-made for a PS Home-like experience.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation Home was obsolete the day it came out because Second Life was a thing, I dunno what you all are talking about.

Even if it were still around it would just be steamrolled by VRChat and, again, Second Life.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
while they're at it, add needs bar and some furniture to the sequel so it resemble the sims

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation Home feels a decade beyond Meta's current efforts.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Never got to experience PlayStation Home, but it's something I'd love to see come back as an option for all parties (Sony, Xbox, Nintendo). Give people the option of course to keep the basic UI's they have now, but have something like Home that is a living, breathing world to show off your prizes, get into parties, play your games, etc. would be amazing.

I think Street Fighter 6's Battle Hub is the closest we have to it right now?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, Meta's Metaverse has 38 daily users generating a whopping $470 in revenue. Maybe people simply don't want this that much, at least in a closed ecosystem.

Something moddable like VR Chat or Second Life thrives, but if you're locked into a system where you have to wait for developed resourced, I don't think it will do amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Home was amazing,
Especially when it started getting dedicated games in itself like the Uncharted 3 cover shooter, Siren haunted hospital or the RedBull flying thing.

Modern connections and connectivity would make it amazing. The theater was such a fun idea but that shit buffered so bad

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed PS Home and it was great way to meet other PS3 players to add to your friend list (I used to care about multiplayer gaming back then because it was free on PS3).

Oct 27, 2017
United States
A big problem with PS Home was the load times. Same with other things Sony did like Modnation Racers. If those things were on PS5 the load times wouldn't have been an issue and they would've done much better.

I think a majority of Sony's ambitious PS3 projects would have fared much better even on the PS4. Without even touching upon the internal upgrades, the mandated full install for games was already a major step to addressing the slow access speeds of the Blu-Ray drive.

I look back on the initial HD consoles similarly to the first successful 3D systems—Nintendo 64, PlayStation, Saturn—beloved at the time, but did not age gracefully as time progressed. The leap in visual fluidity and quality presented by the sixth-generation systems was apparent before even loading a disc. Likewise, the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One were an unmistakable improvement over their predecessors in all facets of the modern gaming experience. Beyond the workaround for load times, I believe going from just 512 MB of RAM to 8 GB allowed Microsoft and Sony to really demonstrate the all-in-one vision that was planned for their former platforms.

Oct 25, 2017
Uh it's not ahead of its time because even now metaverse is also still not even a thing.
It was ahead of its time because it was thriving with an audience however the technology let it down of its potential and use the average person would get out of it.

Way more people would have been interested if it didn't take like 10 minutes to load from 1 location to another.
or to take multiple years to figures out incorporating fleshed out game mechanics directly into it.

It was just cool you could earn trophies and shit in a random video game and now you have costumes and trophies to show off in home.

Or you could hang out in a themed location and once all you friends are on launch directly into a multiplayer match of Socom,Resistance, etc

Or the cool advertisement locations and rewards they did.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIpH5Pc-iWk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gFpFiTxeps

Last edited:

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think it'd be cool if game trophies were physical things you can put in a case in a customizable PS Home. Or better yet, every trophy represented a collectible item themed after that game. Or both!

Also, maybe have a bunch of arcade machines in your house representing your installed games and interacting with one lets you hop into the game, and if you have a friend and it's a multiplayer game, it automatically parties you up.

Oct 26, 2017
I remember going to a E3 event and actually watching Sony's conference live. This was before Youtube, so getting to see that first hand was pretty epic.

Aside from that, I just remember the shitty little dockside apartment you got, filled with random IP crap.

I think the main issue is populating something like this with enough cool stuff to actually make it exciting. There's two problems - spending all that time to build all the assets, and spending so much lawyer money making deals to show that stuff (and not have it randomly removed two years later).

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, come on, that's some bullshit.

It was also 10-15 years behind the times (Active Worlds).

In any case, with all the games we don't have time to play, I'm not sure how many have an actual interest in something like this.
It's not like Metaverse is taking off anywhere else at the moment, besides mainstays like Second Life and VR Chat which both predate the "new and exciting" Metaverse "craze".

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It was ahead of its time because it was thriving with an audience however the technology let it down of its potential and use the average person would get out of it.

Way more people would have been interested if it didn't take like 10 minutes to load from 1 location to another.
or to take multiple years to figures out incorporating fleshed out game mechanics directly into it.

It was just cool you could earn trophies and shit in a random video game and now you have costumes and trophies to show off in home.

Or you could hang out in a themed location and once all you friends are on launch directly into a multiplayer match of Socom,Resistance, etc

Or the cool advertisement locations and rewards they did.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIpH5Pc-iWk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gFpFiTxeps

PS3 era was Sony at their most experimental.

Kinda miss it ngl.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'd be cool if game trophies were physical things you can put in a case in a customizable PS Home. Or better yet, every trophy represented a collectible item themed after that game. Or both!

Also, maybe have a bunch of arcade machines in your house representing your installed games and interacting with one lets you hop into the game, and if you have a friend and it's a multiplayer game, it automatically parties you up.

Some games already did that and it was awesome

For example in Resident Evil 5, if you got the trophy for finding every treasure in the game in PS Home it unlocked a huge treasure chest you could display in any of your personal places
5-300x300.png

Also arcade machines that would launch you into a game directly and you'd exit back to that location.
latest

You got character statue/figures for beating specific difficulty as well,