Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the article where he said he regretted his quote about Gran Turismo/PS1 games and "Who would play this" and wishes people would stop bringing it up? I think I saw that on Twitter recently, but not sure if it was this or one of Jason's things.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Not really much of answer to what lessons they learned apart from Mark Cerny made the hardware better.

It wasn't through rigid corporate control and thrown money that we got Trash Panic, Tokyo Jungle, Fat Princess…

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Hmmm. I feel like that's going to be disagreed with... They're nice to their devs after closing their japanese studios and aren't overly strict with them after rejecting Days Gone 2...

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Why would someone edit down an interview. Just give it all to me. Every last word.

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
If Horizon Forbidden West come out this year, is safe to say that PS5 has have the best Playstation launch in terms of games?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
They had an amazing final year of the PS4 that transitioned really nicely into the first year of the PS5. Can't say anything bad about it, a nice mix of anticipated sequels and welcome surprises.

finaljedi

Jul 15, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
So is that why they killed PS1 backwards compatibility and stopped selling those old games in the store past the PS3? They just decided to not do whatever they did with the PS3 in the future?

Oct 25, 2017
This seems pretty clear in just the sheer amount of first party output Playstation has output over the past two years.

The difference between PS4 and PS5 launch is night and day.

Oct 30, 2017
Playstation getting games off the ground early for PS5 was indeed impressive.
And they did it while coming off an amazing 2020 for PS4 with two highly awarded titles.

often a decent console launch is preceded by a lull in output for the tail end of a previous console.

Hopefully going forward they are committed to game preservation and carrying/improving existing purchases.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Hmmm. I feel like that's going to be disagreed with... They're nice to their devs after closing their japanese studios and aren't overly strict with them after rejecting Days Gone 2...

There is a lot of hyperbole here. Japan Studio is still operational and Team Asobi just got a huge boost in company size.

A company rejecting one idea also isn't indicative to how the company handles their studios as a whole.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"... a relentless focus on putting gamers first"

tenor.gif

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

They closed a studio after flopping for like 2 generations and said "no" to a pitch for a sequel. How is any of that weird?

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
Hoped Jim would have taken the lesson of BC like the PS3 did in the past, since it seems retro gaming is getting more popular this days (at least more expensive).

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Japan Studio closed as an entity, but they live on through Asobi. This is very much a net gain, I think. The closing might as well have just been in name only.

Days Gone 2 not being greenlit the instant Days Gone went out? I still don't get why people insist on this being such a problem when the game wasn't poorly received on release and, honestly, still isn't. The people who didn't play it took the advice of the people who did and liked it and... were found wanting a better game that they clearly avoided for the right reasons. It's not bad but damning Sony to not approve a sequel to an already unproven game as soon as it's released and releasing to middling reviews? That makes no business sense. :|

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
As someone getting all the games, I do feel I've been put "first".

From first party studios alone, the PS5 is getting a lot of content.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully by "put gamers first" he means emulating the latter half of the PS3's life.

Hieronymus Bosch

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2021
They closed a studio after flopping for like 2 generations and said "no" to a pitch for a sequel. How is any of that weird?

Yeah took them 7 years to make a new game for PS4 with a free engine and it wasn't received all too well, a sequel isn't needed. A new IP would likely be better.

This quote and increasing price on first party games to 70$/80€ is a direct contradiction.

Paid $70 for R&C RA and it's the best game I've played in years. They've surely put my needs first.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Japan Studio closed as an entity, but they live on through Asobi. This is very much a net gain, I think. The closing might as well have just been in name only.

Days Gone 2 not being greenlit the instant Days Gone went out? I still don't get why people insist on this being such a problem when the game wasn't poorly received on release and, honestly, still isn't. The people who didn't play it took the advice of the people who did and liked it and... were found wanting a better game that they clearly avoided for the right reasons. It's not bad but damning Sony to not approve a sequel to an already unproven game as soon as it's released and releasing to middling reviews? That makes no business sense. :|
I feel people only want a Days Gone 2 because of the potential, but, man, Days Gone just isn't good. I honest to god think it's the worst PS4 SIE published title.

I don't blame Sony for not going in on a sequel if the pitch wasn't enough to change course on it. Bend have been greenlit for another game, so it's obvious the IP wasn't right (especially given how long it was in development) but Bend, as a studio, pitched something else and got their game.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
This has overall been a fantastic generation transition. I remember how barren the first 2 years of the PS4 were with very few great games sprinkled in. 2016 is when last generation really hit its stride and it hasn't let up. Games are flowing week after week.

On the subject of Days Gone, keep in mind I didn't finish it, but I invested a decent amount of hours into it, but I think it's good for what it is. So far it's nothing that I want a sequel for, as I would rather see a new IP that tackles a less derivative theme and genre.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021

Yeah, i mean all quality control doesn't just completely go out the window, they still have a duty as a platform holder to not let bad ideas pass through. They made a good decision here, one that I as a PlayStation owner am happy for.

I'm much more excited for a new Bend IP then a sequel to Days Gone. For the love of god, no more ZOMBIE games.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah took them 7 years to make a new game for PS4 with a free engine and it wasn't received all too well, a sequel isn't needed. A new IP would likely be better.

Paid $70 for R&C RA and it's the best game I've played in years. They've surely put my needs first.
So you paying 70$ increased your enjoyment of the game? Weird response. You would have enjoyed it as much at 60$.

Hieronymus Bosch

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2021
So you paying 70$ increased your enjoyment of the game? Weird response. You would have enjoyed it as much at 60$.

I'm not ignoring the fact that production costs have gone up. They're not cheating their devs of money so I know the increase price is going to them.

Also if these prices lead to more good games, seems like a clear winner to me.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely made good on the goal of having great games early on. PS5 has had tremendous first party support already.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Interesting. Not to derail the thread, but could you point out what makes it the best game you've played in years? I'm almost at the end and while I like it, I feel like it's just "fine". All of the platforming sequences were done better and were way more inventive just a few months ago in It Takes Two, and the combat is just fine (mostly thanks to the weapon variety). It has great visuals, no doubt, but I don't feel it truly excels in anything else.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This quote and increasing price on first party games to 70$/80€ is a direct contradiction.
I mean, you could say there were times during the PS4 generation where Sony made decisions to not exactly put gamers first, despite them still being in good graces overall. Every company will make some decisions that don't 100% align with the most idealistic of consumer interests.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I feel people only want a Days Gone 2 because of the potential, but, man, Days Gone just isn't good. I honest to god think it's the worst PS4 SIE published title.

I don't blame Sony for not going in on a sequel if the pitch wasn't enough to change course on it. Bend have been greenlit for another game, so it's obvious the IP wasn't right (especially given how long it was in development) but Bend, as a studio, pitched something else and got their game.

I'm playing it right now and I still struggle to see what the main story even is. At first I thought it was one thing, then it kind of shifted the main focus to something else . The game is like a mix of sidequests in an open world game and they aren't even that great or varied. I also see a lot of similarities with TLOU and not just the zombies / undead concept. These two franchises don't need to exist within the same publisher. I'd rather if they did something new tbh. They ARE talented.

Also, it's not like Sony changed or downsized Sony Bend. They just said no to a single pitch and wanted them to do something else. Hardly something tragic as an outcome.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not ignoring the fact that production costs have gone up. They're not cheating their devs of money so I know the increase price is going to them.

Also if these prices lead to more good games, seems like a clear winner to me.
A lot of "if's" here. If you honestly believe the wages of the devs have gone up because of a 10$ markup on the games then that's something i need to have actual proof of to believe.

Production costs have gone up, profitability has also gone up. Games are making more money than ever.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Did they really learn anything? I mean if you think about it they're still making games for the second half of the PS4's life. Those games can just be put on PS5 now too. So like they learned a lesson but also they didn't.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, you mean besides the massive longtime staff loss, right? Even expanded Asobi Team is nowhere near Japan Studio's size (~400), there was apparently a significant loss of talent.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Did they really learn anything? I mean if you think about it they're still making games for the second half of the PS4's life. Those games can just be put on PS5 now too. So like they learned a lesson but also they didn't.
What? this makes no sense you would not be getting alot of these game this early if they did that.

Hieronymus Bosch

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2021
So you have absolutely zero proof.

hate to burst your bubble but that cash is definitely only going towards Sony's bottom line. You're very naive if you think $70 isleading to all employees having pay rises

Guess we await the Twitter storm of devs saying they make pennies on this price increase or in a few years they're very happy

see ya then

Jan 20, 2019

Yes, but it is also not a 1 year project but a multiple year project that started way back in the ps3.

If you compare launch align from the ps4 to ps5 you see big difference.