• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
www.bbc.co.uk

PlayStation 5 matches the price of the Xbox Series X

Sony opts not to undercut its rival this time round but instead will rely on exclusives to woo gamers.
But is the PS5 fighting the last generation's console war?

Xbox has a compelling offer with its Game Pass Ultimate subscription service. So even if Xbox doesn't sell as many physical consoles as PlayStation, it may still prove to be at least as profitable.

When I questioned Mr Ryan about the possibility of a similar service, he said PlayStation was about big blockbuster games that cost a lot to make, so a similar subscription service model would not make financial sense.

We will find out whether he sticks to that strategy in 2021 or beyond once supply meets demand.
Interesting little nugget in this BBC article.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Said it before, but glad to see it confirmed.

Game Pass styled sub on PS5 would neuter Sony's profits for these big titles enormously.

EDIT: because it needs to be clarified for some

I don't give a damn how Sony does financially.

I do give a damn about getting the type of games I want and I feel a Game Pass type subscription would kill off the type of AAA productions i've come to love from Sony.

Last edited:

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Platform warring
Game Pass works for MS because they don't really have a lot of expensive AAA top tier exclusives. Its just Halo and Gears

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Jim Ryan is about that Hollywood PR with action set pieces which is nice and all but the minute a bean counter shows them a path to gamepass that profits consistent revenue and profit they'll be taking that

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure Sony is about to go broke. That must be why they fuck over everyone not in the US

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
He's said it in the past regarding day 1 PSNow, so not surprising, games like GoW or TLoU 2 with no additional money streams besides buy the game would be losing hundreds of millions overall.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I believe it. GamePass hasn't proved otherwise so far and it's years away from potentially doing so.
On the other hand, if GamePass manages to reach a certain threshold (30+ million?) without doing insane offers (many months have been available for a dollar basically) then the scenario will turn as it will be a serious cash flow.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'm sure Sony is about to go broke. That must be why they fuck over everyone not in the US

it's only 7 days difference. Get over it, man. I'm in singapore and going by inventory assignments, they are definitely not going to get alot of PS5 here and even i am not complaining.

It's not like it's a month or two. ONE WEEK! 7 DAYS! How hard is it?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I mean it's totally true. I buy every big first party exclusive on Playstation systems. If they were on a Sony version of game pass I would just sub to that and never buy em at all. Sonys getting more money out of me this way.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Is this going to be one of those things Sony dismisses now but starts doing too somewhere down the line?
tenor.gif

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Game Pass works for MS because they don't really have a lot of expensive AAA top tier exclusives. Its just Halo and Gears
It's not only that. The only way to include blockbuster first party games day 1 is by making them GaaS in some capacity or at least have an extensive multiplayer component with MTX. Sony is primarily focusing on single player experiences thus a GamePass model would be a disaster (unless priced at $59 per month). Having said that, they could definitely do a service with slightly older games that are still relevant (similar to PS plus collection but for current gen games).

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
it's only 7 days difference. Get over it, man. I'm in singapore and going by inventory assignments, they are definitely not going to get alot of PS5 here and even i am not complaining.

It's not like it's a month or two. ONE WEEK! 7 DAYS! How hard is it?
I'm talking about the extra 10 bucks they slapped on every game but hey go to bat for your friends at sony

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
MS also has the type of money they can throw on something like Gamepass and it doesn't really effect them that much.

They both have crazy large 'war chest' and a market value at 1.5 trillion dollars.

OP
OP
pswii60

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Game Pass styled sub on PS5 would neuter Sony's profits for these big titles enormously.
For sure. MS is currently strategically loss-leading, building the service as their core focus. They don't have as much to lose by going all in on Game Pass, they can be more nimble that way especially as the MS business is also not so reliant on the Xbox division financially.

But for Sony, it's a very different situation. It would be like HBO switching all their focus on the Netflix model back in the day. Like Sony, they dip their toe in the water instead so they can react if and when necessary to potential market shifts, but ultimately can continue with their traditional model thanks to the strength of their content.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Its pretty obvious that what is good for cheepskates is not in the interest of company selling these. Coz if You pay less they get paid less.
I'm talking about the extra 10 bucks they slapped on every game but hey go to bat for your friends at sony
Pretty sure all major publishers will slap on extra 10 bucks for next gen titles.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Thi
It's not only that. The only way to include blockbuster first party games day 1 is by making them GaaS in some capacity or at least have an extensive multiplayer component with MTX. Sony is primarily focusing on single player experiences thus a GamePass model would be a disaster (unless priced at $59 per month). Having said that, they could definitely do a service with slightly older games that are still relevant (similar to PS plus collection but for current gen games).
Thiss is also true. Sony has few mtx games from their studios which definitely helps subsidize Game Pass games

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
IMO, this is the wrong move. Blockbuster games are becoming un-sustainable in the amount of people it takes to make them, the toll making these games have on these people and the price the user has to pay to play them. And on top of all that, you have huge successes (both in sales and in quality) in games like Fall Guys and various indie games that are made by teams and budgets fraction of the size of blockbuster games.
I think we'll see Sony changing this tune somewhat as the gen progresses and the reality of recession becoming clearer.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from Forza , what else is there? Hellblade 2 is the first 1st party output of Ninja Theory so that is still unproven. Fable reboot is a long ways off. I'm talking about expensive AAA games. They have cool AA ones liek state of decay and ori

People don't think Flight simulator was expensive and isn't AAA? It's probably the most graphically impressive game currently on the market.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Expected, I guess it's the only PR speak that makes sense for Sony as of today.
Let's see how this stance evolves in a couple of years with the releases of big budget, next gen only XGS games.

Then again, I'm (genuinely) curious to know what exactly defines a "big blockbuster game".

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I honestly believe it.

Interested to see if once Xboxs first party studios start cranking out games if it ever changes. They really ballooned their studio count.

I don't give a damn how Sony does financially.

I do give a damn about getting the type of games I want and I feel a Game Pass type subscription would kill off the type of AAA productions i've come to love from Sony.

Not gonna lie, I agree with you. I don't think Sony would be able to continue to produce the games they do under a subscription.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Imagine your a publisher/developer

Do you spend tens of MILLIONS making a game that takes 5-6 years to produce and only turns an income for a short period before dropping in price that has no way to get further money from gamers?

or

Do you spend much, MUCH less on a game that takes a year or two to produce that turns a HUGE profit and can be riddled with MTX and DLC and battle Passes to keep money rolling in for longer?

on a game pass type subscription especially the choice would be VERY clear for coporations, you go the cheaper but bigger return route.

Scubdi

Jan 21, 2020
Because I want these big AAA experiences? Like TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, God of War etc.

Game Pass for Sony would slowly kill off games like that in favour of lower cost, multiplayer focused, MTX riddled games instead.
But would lower budget games be such a bad thing? Wasteland 3 is one of the best RPG's out there today and its on gamepass day 1. I do not believe that Gamepass will take away from the AAA experiences, I believe it will inspire more creative freedom.

When businesses go all in for profits, they tend to play it safe. Not saying Sony won't take risks but their focus is more on profits, where as microsofts is more on the "Value".