• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I could just do the traditional thing and say "Spider-Man is a PlayStation exclusive" but I don't think that angle accurately describes what a platform exclusive really is. It's not one platform getting extra - it's other platforms getting less.

That's what's happening with Marvel's The Avengers, Square Enix's upcoming "live service" with a regular release of heroes. One such addition, the aforementioned Spider-Man, will only be on PlayStation. This is because Sony is being Sony.

So there you have it. The Xbox and PC versions of The Avengers will be notably inferior... but they'll cost the same!

I thought this deserved it's own thread.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sony's goal, make gaming worse for the masses.

edit:
please watch the video before quoting me.... Jesus...

Last edited:

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know for a fact that Sony didn't fund the Spider-man DLC?

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Of course Sony has to step in, Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics needed extra funding to be able to include Spider-Man, the most popular Avenger, when making an Avengers game.

EDIT: removed "founding member" since people were fixating on that

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
But isn't this a DLC? Reading this sounds like Spider-Man was supposed to be in the original game and they erased his part because Sony paid for that.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
For once I agree with him. This has to stop. I don't know why Disney hasn't taken away Spider-Man from Sony. I mean imagine if EA made a Star Wars character exclusive to Xbox or even PC through Origin. That would cause WW3. Also let's not forget that Spider-Man is on the Marvel game on Nintendo Switch.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

I imagine there has to be some kind of money changing hands. If not, why did Sony allow Spidey to be in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 or MvC Infinite? Or all of the many Marvel mobile games? If they could say "No, Spidey is our property!" and that's that, I'd assume they'd block Spidey from being in those games.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
For once I agree with him. This has to stop. I don't know why Disney hasn't taken away Spider-Man from Sony. I mean imagine if EA made a Star Wars character exclusive to Xbox or even PC through Origin. That would cause WW3.

Because they can't.

If you sell your car to someone, you can't force them to sell it back to you. Unless Sony opts to finally sell it back to them (they have no reason to) or fail to contiune make movies like their contract stipulate, it's their's to hold onto.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone paying full price on this on Xbox and PC are just fuelling into every anticonsumer practice Sony has been doing for the last decade. The most anticonsumer company doesn't care about gamers and you are complicit if you stand in silence.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
As I've said before, Spider-Man as a character has traditionally not been a part of the Avengers. When I think of Avengers, Spider-Man does not come to mind. For the majority of the comic history, he has not been a member of them.

For this reason, I firmly believe that Spider-Man would not be a character in this game if the deal did not exist. It was a case of PS4 or nothing, not a case of PS4 or all platforms. I would say that Spider Man is an extra character beyond all the planned DLC for all platforms.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
One of the most honest people in gaming journalism.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
didn't Sony pay money to get exclusive Spiderman rights? Why wouldn't they want a return on their investment?

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
But isn't this a DLC? Reading this sounds like Spider-Man was supposed to be in the original game and they erased his part because Sony paid for that.
I find it hard to believe that the game wouldn't have had Spiderman in it if Sony hadn't paid for the exclusive content. If it's DLC now, that's only to keep it simpler for the devs juggling multiple versions of the game.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
People are shook that Sony signed a marketing deal?
Wait till I tell people that publishers are just in it to make money

didn't Sony pay money to get exclusive Spiderman rights? Why wouldn't they want a return on their investment?
Not for game rights I believe

Deleted member 26746

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
TdBIbTP.jpg

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

that only applies to live action media and animated content of a length greater than or equal to an hour for any single episode/movie. It does not apply to other media besides film and tv.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Lol yeah that's a pretty good take.

"We need your funding because there's no way we could insert Spiderman into this holiday AAA Avengers game, based on the most lucrative IP of the planet, developed by one of the most profitable developer/publisher in the world. Please Sony, help us" said no one ever.