emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMG_7331-e1522715557842.jpg

We know some shits are complicated in DCEU. But The Batman and Joker roles is much more complicated.

Joaquin Phoenix is on the rebound. The actor, who's laid relatively low since 2013's Her and the following year's Inherent Vice has four films out this year and a few in the works. One of them may be a new DC Comics movie about the origin of the Joker being helmed by Todd Phillips. While Phoenix hasn't himself confirmed the role, it was reported in February that he was in talks to join, via Variety. Phoenix has, however, revealed that he wouldn't be afraid to fill Heath Ledger's shoes in a new iteration of the role.

aiko-aiham-jokerjoaquin.jpg

When asked point blank if Ledger's performance in 2008's The Dark Knight intimidated him, by Collider, Phoenix delicately answered that question. "There are different interpretations," he said. "It's so interesting; I was just thinking about it today, it seems so unique in some ways to comic books. I think there's probably room for that. Maybe it's like doing a play, like you always hear about people doing something, 'You should have seen this actor in this performance,' but then other actors do it and it's a different kind of film. I think that genre, comic books, kind of lends itself to having different people play the same character and interpret it in a different way. It's kind of built into the source material in some ways. I think it's cool when people do that."

What's more is Joaquin Phoenix also shared that, like many other prestige actors as of late, he's attracted to the idea of doing a superhero film. (Though he didn't specify that he wants to do Phillips' Joker film.) "I think about superhero movies the way that I imagine Westerns were," he said. "There were just these comics that were like Westerns, and then they started making movies. At some point, someone came along and was like, 'Wait a minute, we can actually really explore something here, about humanity and the character.' I think that there's that potential with any movie."

More...

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/joaquin-phoenix-the-joker

http://collider.com/joaquin-phoenix-joker-movie-marvel-comic-book-movies

Last edited:

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The comparison to Westerns, like, totally blew my brain out the back of my head, yunno?

I mean, it's actually something that everybody and their sister has pointed to for years, except when he says it, like, it takes on a whole new meaning that your average wikipedia quote just can't capture, or something.

/s

I can't point my thumb down hard enough, here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The comparison to Westerns, like, totally blew my brain out the back of my head, yunno?

I mean, it's actually something that everybody and their sister has pointed to for years, except when he says it, like, it takes on a whole new meaning that your average wikipedia quote just can't capture, or something.

/s

What is wrong with you? How could such a benign comment inspire such disdain?

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, they picked a good picture there. I could definitely see him pulling it off, granted this movie ever happens.

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
You misspelled banal.

I'm simply unimpressed with these kinds of critical revelations being framed as anything other than an actor trying a bit too hard.

You mean when someone points out that something typically viewed as low-grade schlock can be heightened to say something interesting or important? Yeah I hate when people do that.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
After seeing Joaquin Phoenix's performance in 'You Were Never Really Here' a month ago I became more convinced he is one of the best works alive/working today and I already was a fan. He is just mind-bogglingly incredible in the movie. With that in mind, I could easily see him doing Joe Chill/Joker justice.

Joaquin-Phoenix-You-Were-Never-Really-Here-1000x520.jpg

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing Joaquin Phoenix's performance in 'You Were Never Really Here' a month ago I became more convinced he is one of the best works alive/working today and I already was a fan. He is just mind-bogglingly incredible in the movie. With that in mind, I could easily see him doing Joe Chill/Joker justice.

Joaquin-Phoenix-You-Were-Never-Really-Here-1000x520.jpg

Dude was a beast in that one. Mumbles a lot through it but his deranged appearance and facial expressions sold it all as such a great performance. Dude was like the angel of death personified

Him and Casey Affleck are the two best Male actors working today imo.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

/s

First time I'm reading about it. Dont know what crawled up your butthole.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is the message of this film basically going to be there is no Joker origin and you just follow a day in the life of the interpretation he does? It surely can't go any other way. Might be an interesting ride.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
This made me laugh harder than it should have.

I don't think Leto's performance was actually all that bad. The movie had serious issues but Leto was the least of them IMO and I actually wanted more. Jack Nicholson's performance was actually my least favorite version. I'll admit I didn't see Burton's Batman until college (I'm 33) but I just didn't like what Jack did with him and I like Nicholson. I'm also a HUGE comic book reader so what I want is obviously different from the average filmgoer.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Well he is a good actor, so if he does take on the role, I would expect him to do something unique with it.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Leto's performance was actually all that bad. The movie had serious issues but Leto was the least of them IMO and I actually wanted more. Jack Nicholson's performance was actually my least favorite version. I'll admit I didn't see Burton's Batman until college (I'm 33) but I just didn't like what Jack did with him and I like Nicholson. I'm also a HUGE comic book reader so what I want is obviously different from the average filmgoer.

Take away the idiotic tattoos, the stupid as hell teeth, the absurd jewlery and that laugh.

Then I would be okay giving Leto another chance. But if they wanna stick to their stupid "Gangster Joker" that they have going then no thank you. I am a massive Comic fan as well though. (Marvel)

MBeanie

Oct 27, 2017
Joaquin Phoenix is a perfect match for the role. I mean he only has to beat the last Joker performance for me to give him a thumbs up, so not a difficult bar to clear.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

/s

My father-in-law brought up that comparison to me many times. He told me in the 40's and 50's western comics were really popular as a kid for him growing up and then they became films and were big hits at theaters. He said the current popularity of super hero comic book films reminds him very much of that.

I think Phoenix would be a great Joker, I mean he cannot be any worse than Leto, right?

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Take away the idiotic tattoos, the stupid as hell teeth, the absurd jewlery and that laugh.

Then I would be okay giving Leto another chance. But if they wanna stick to their stupid "Gangster Joker" that they have going then no thank you. I am a massive Comic fan as well though. (Marvel)

Yeah the wardrobe and tattoos were stupid. I guess they were trying to take a huge left turn from Ledger visually and went WAY too effing far. The laugh worked for me though. Creeped me out.

I'm definitely hoping the new Joker, if they are going that way, is a mixture of Nolan's and Grant Morrison's Batman RIP joker run in the books.

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I dont understand why people put heath on such a pedestal, he just copied a real life person. It would make sense if he created himself. It seems like any decent actor could pull off the samething.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw you were never really here and the dude gives one hell of a performance, never thought he 'lost' it but if he did he's surely back.

Definitely check that movie out if you're into that kind of thing, reminded me of Blue Ruin/Green Room in terms of it's grit.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Joaquin is a fucking incredible actor, and I'm not even a fan. I'd honestly like to see him dip his toes into a few characters: One of the Green Lanterns (like Hal Jordan Parallax or Guy Gardener), Moon Knight, Spectre, Mr. Sinister, J. Jonah Jameson (I can totally see him playing a fun Ultimate Spider-Man version of Jonah), a proper Lex Luthor, Swamp Thing, Doctor Doom, Doctor Octopus. Point is, the dude has range, and there's no shortage of characters he'd probably fit like a glove.

JackFrost

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Ledger was fantastic. Rarely are performances that captivating.

I believe Joaquin could also do an incredible job in the right hands.