1. guru-guru

guru-guru
    Member OP

Not sure if this is thread-worthy, since there isn't too much to glean from the job postings themselves (feel free to lock if necessary), but Nintendo just posted some new Zelda-related job postings, which I guess confirms that they have started to work on the new Zelda game. The postings are in Japanese at the link:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/jobs/project/kyoto_sec1.html#geo_zelda

-The first job posting is for a 3DCG designer. They specify that it is for terrain/topography production for stuff such as the field and dungeons.
    -Requirements: experience making backgrounds in Maya and Adobe Photoshop; experience working on HD hardware; Japanese fluency
    -Other skills that will help your application: experience making backgrounds specifically for an action game; experience making concept art; experience making assets in Substance Painter and Substance Designer; interest in Zelda; leadership experience

-The second posting is for a level designer. They are looking for someone to plan game events, the field, dungeons, as well as enemies.
    -Requirements: experience working as a game planner for consumer games; Japanese fluency.

That's all the info. Not much to go on, but I'm sure some of you are as thirsty as me for any hints on the next Zelda game. By the way, Substance Painter and Substance Designer is used for the development for a lot of AAA games (I'm assuming they used it for BotW?)

Edit: The job postings don't actually specify "next" (error on my part).

2. *snarky comment about dungeons*

I wonder what the turnaround for the next 3D Zelda will be. IIRC, they said it would take less time because they laid the groundwork now but I assume there is going to be some big "hook" to set it apart from BotW.

3. LiftGammaGain

LiftGammaGain

Thats good news in my book but i wouldnt mind a big chunk of dlc for BoTW while we wait.

4. MadMod

MadMod

Good luck on following up on the masterpiece that is BOTW. #Nopressure haha.

5. Ex-Actarus

Ex-Actarus

So we will get another Zelda game for the Switch.

I have a big smile on my face. Yes please, bring a sequel to the Best Gane Ever Made !!!

6. Onilink

Onilink

Dear Aonuma-San, please Dark World + dungeon.

7. Ximonz

Ximonz

good, only 5 years away from the next adventure!

8. unicornKnight

unicornKnight

They can do a lot of things better in this one. The teaser will be Link cutting unlimited trees with his sword without it breaking :P

9. bonkasaurus

bonkasaurus

But Link to the Past already got a sequel.

10. RedAhmed

RedAhmed

I'd rather them taking the cheaper road and give me a Zelda game with mostly BotW assets a la Majora's Mask. I think we need more Zelda releases and more often. Or at least branch out to spin-off titles. Mario has tons of spin-offs, but the only Zelda spin-offs recently were Hyrule Warriors and Triforce Heroes.

11. Yukinari

Yukinari

Make a smaller more focused experience like Majora, with enemy variety and dungeons. Bring back classic items and get rid of weapon durability.

12. Herb Alpert

Herb Alpert

I'm confident they can make an even better game than breath of the Wild.
    I want them to take their time though.

13. guru-guru

guru-guru
    Member OP

Oops, if I could change my title, I would take out the "next" part. It instead should say "Job postings for the Zelda series (newly posted on Nintendo website)" The Japanese doesn't mention "next" or anything. Based on the postings themselves, as well as the timeline, you can infer that they are extremely likely to be talking about the next Zelda project, but they explicitly avoid outright stating that.

14. Ikouros

Ikouros

I'm kind of okay with this, given how BotW turned out. I trust Nintendo to take the time it takes.

15. unicornKnight

unicornKnight

Hope it will be 3 years from now, 4 at worst. It's doable imo.

16. Apeach

Apeach

I hope they make a more traditional Zelda this time.

17. Segafreak

Segafreak

Isn't the next Zelda gonna be by the 3DS team who made A Link Between Worlds.

Like N64, Gamecube, and the Wii? Though I feel like Switch will get 3 with the handheld team included.

18. Hiromasa Shikata is probably directing the next game by the handheld team so yeah.

19. Shugga

Shugga

If a team can improve on BOTW it's them. They got the basics down, now fill it up with more goodness.

20. Ravelle

Ravelle

Every zelda is pretty much different from the last, I think they're doing something different this time as well. Unless they saw the success of BOTW and build on that.

21. skeezx

skeezx

out of my ass speculation of course but sounds like this is pretty early. if they do something BotW based it's probably in full swing now

22. Timppis

Timppis

Huzzah. Waiting for 2025 with anticipation already :)

Gotta be real though. Nintendo took their sweet time with Zelda and it was 10. Same with RDR2, a lot of time and fantastic game.

Maybe more devs should go for this. Although not all devs have the resources for that.

23. bye

bye

theres so much to learn from BOTW. making a better game would be easy.

24. I am only basing this on what Aonuma said but it still sounds like the "handheld team" is separate and they haven't done anything since 2015 (Tri-Force Heroes). I'd expect that game to be further along than the follow-up to BotW. Unless I misunderstood you?

25. SMD

SMD

Anyone else hoping for a sequel to A Link Between Worlds?

26. UsoEwin

UsoEwin

Full, overworld discoverable dungeons please. Better discovery rewards would be nice too.

27. ByteCulture

ByteCulture

I hope that this means one thing:

- Getting traditional dungeon designs for an modern open world Zelda game.

I want something like the Water Dungeon or the Kokiri Forest Tree :) give me that and the "Breath of the Wild" open world style and iam happy like no one else

28. Apeach

Apeach

A sequel to BOTW would greatly disappoint me. I'd much prefer it if they did something like ALBW. Open world is overrated.

29. billysea

billysea

The next one will probably be more of the same. Expect something like Super Mario Galaxy 2 to SMG1. Great game but not ground breaking.

30. tyfon

tyfon

Completely agree, I have tried to start botw about five times now but it just doesn't click.
    Also hope they remove the weapon durability and the ubisoft towers.

31. Atheerios

Atheerios

32. Tregard

Tregard

Gimme dat Shrine Builder!

33. Ninjadom

Ninjadom

Interesting that Nintendo are advertising externally. They don’t have those roles already available within the company.

34. HMS_Pinafore

HMS_Pinafore

Go back to the old formula that people were sick of, selling around 2-3 million copies per game. Or design it after the game that swept the Gotys selling over 12 million copies.

I wonder what Nintendo will go with...

35. Strings

Strings

Then again, they followed Ocarina up with Majora's Mask...

That said, I'm way more excited about the ALBW team releasing a new game.

36. Aonuma confirmed that they liked Botw’s concept so much they’ll take advantage of that foundation for at least one more game.

Can’t find the interview where he said that though

37. Heartskips

Heartskips

I'll only be excited for the next Zelda if it has actual dungeons.

38. Asbsand

Asbsand

Less time building an expensive prototype. More time producing content and overall shorter dev cycle is my bet.

39. Mexen

Mexen

The Legend of Zelda: Dungeon Master

40. Scrawnton

Scrawnton

I’m predicting they go the route of adding a shrinking mechanic like in Minish Cap. Didn’t they say they were working on it for BotW but yanked it?

It would allow them to make the world smaller but still have grand level design within it.

All I reallly want them to do is take the concept of BotW and cram dungeon back in and have a stronger story. I’m okay with losing some openness if it has to be done.

41. Tora

Tora

Late 2021 is my bet, as far away as that sounds.

42. Denman

Denman

I do wonder if a top down Zelda is coming before the next big 3D Zelda.

43. Strings

Strings

I dunno about that. The Xenoblade X team had crazy amounts of trouble balancing their open world for both on-foot and Skell exploration. It sucked up so much time that they had to completely throw out a ton of their initial plan.

44. Scrawnton

Scrawnton

I don’t think you’ll be allowed to shrink down anytime. I think it’ll be situational just like in Minish Cap.

45. jts

jts

They should get people experienced with online multiplayer games to elevate the GOAT to the next level.

46. Pablo Mesa

Pablo Mesa

all they really need to do is Botw 2.0 but with actual dungeons instead of the Sacred Beast Motif.

47. Anti

Anti

They have a ton of aspects they can improve, in fact on of the jobs listed mentions an important aspect that was pretty disappointing in BotW...

48. No dog petting.

49. Kinsei

Kinsei

So it will actually have real dungeons? Snark aside, this is neat. I do hop we get a 2D Zelda for switch between now and this one though, as I imagine this will be in development for a few years.

50. Sphinx

Sphinx

I am perfectly ok with a new 3D AAA Zelda appearing in 5 or 6 years if we get a great, amazing 2D game for switch in 2019 or 2020.