Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

A federal judge has tossed a $300 million defamation lawsuit filed against three national news outlets by America's self-styled "toughest sheriff" Joe Arpaio.
https://nypost.com/2018/12/12/joe-arpaio-files-300m-defamation-suit-against-3-news-organizations/
A judge in Washington on Thursday dismissed the suit filed in December by the former six-term Maricopa County sheriff, alleging that CNN, the Huffington Post and Rolling Stone published inaccuracies that hurt his chances to win a US Senate seat and to procure necessary funding from the "Republican establishment and donors," the Arizona Republic reports.

But Arpaio's suit failed to prove actual malice, US District Judge Royce Lamberth wrote in his opinion, while acknowledging the burden of doing so is a "difficult one to meet."

"But without this safeguard, the threat of lawsuits would chill our precious First Amendment rights to freely engage in political discourse," Lamberth said.

HA HA HA HA HA FUCKING LOSER

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
"I want to sue them for all the nasty things they said about me!"
"Mr Arpaio they were just stating facts about you and repeating things you said"
"I-I don't see how that makes a difference"

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Get fucked, you ghoul. I really hope he gets in trouble again after Trump is out of office.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
Is it wrong of me to jump in and say get fucked? Considering how he treated minorities, NOPE.

Get fucked racist! Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

"I want to sue them for all the nasty things they said about me!"
"Mr Arpaio they were just stating facts about you and repeating things you said"
"I-I don't see how that makes a difference"
In this case, it was actually not that what the media said wasn't false (which it technically was), it was that the media's conduct didn't meet the "actual malice" standard.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, how much do Senators even make in a year? Like $170,000? Where is he even getting the $300,000,000 number from?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
he should have to pay 300 million dollars to CNN viewers and families of his victims.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: if this were the U.K. instead of the US he probably wins. Robust protections of free speech ftw.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
And he still wants to run for Sheriff again, with what? Coupons from McDonalds?

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Fuck that guy. He's scum, pure evil. Even compared to other Republicans he's disgusting, and that takes a lot.