• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Wish could honestly say what I feel about this guy without getting banned or put on a damn watch list. I hope for nothing but terrible things for him and this kind of thing should be proof enough that America is a failed nation.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Of course but focusing on Manchin and Sinema when you have literally half of the Senate controlled by the cartoon villain party who hold onto power by controlling the states with no people in them is ignoring the real problem.

It's easy enough to go after both.

I don't think anyone here thinks the GOP Senators are great. I live in a state with two of 'em. I know how awful they are.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Maybe, but they're not the ones negotiating on this bill. If he's really asking for something that low he may as well be asking to eliminate the ctc altogether

True but it really depends on if one thinks that a senator should do what's best for everyone or what their constituents want. Most people don't seem to want the ctc permanent which is mind-boggling.

The Politico/Morning Consult poll published Wednesday also found 18 percent say they wish to see the per-child tax credits extended beyond next year.

Twenty-four percent of respondents said they support the program, which provides payments of up to $300 a month per child to most families with children.

Twenty-one percent, however, said they "strongly oppose" expanding the program and 17 percent indicated they "somewhat oppose" expanding the program.

34% polled said that the program should "definitely not" be extended and 18% said "No, probably not". I don't even understand.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand how someone can be so morally bankrupt and blatantly corrupt, fucking over millions in the process for marginal wealth that is equivalent to a drop in the bucket of your net worth.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Prosperity doctrine runs deep in this country, and it doesn't even require you to be of faith. The general attitude is that you deserve to be rich just for being rich, and you can't prove that he didn't do something to deserve a massive yacht tax break, so how dare you.

It didn't use to be like that. In the '80s, the GOP and Democrat talking points were all about blue collar workers as being the best of the country. Even then it wasn't necessarily about those workers being able to become rich, but at least they were lauded as valuable to society. But in the last 20 years that script has flipped as the wealth gap has massively increased, to where it's almost a moral argument that rich people are just better humans than the rest of us. That our poverty must be a moral or talent failing and that people who need things from the State are just taking advantage of the godly, successful people. And Donald Trump was the prime example of their new order. His perceived richness made him almost godlike in the eyes of the faithful, and people that don't have money were seen as his subjects. It's much like the way the Catholic Church historically controlled their members by creating a church hierarchy that was seen as holier than the masses of sinners.

Manchin when you think about is just using a very lite version of Trump's playbook. Act moderate at times, make weak overtures to appear like he wants to unite everyone, but secretly work to undo everything Democrats care about.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Fuck Joe Machin. Hope he gets demolished in the next election. I don't even care if a Republican replaces him. At least they don't pretend like they're on the right side.

Dec 12, 2017
I don't mind a means test, but 60k is way too low. Unfortunately most of the public doesn't care about the CTC so the Dems probably won't fight it.

True but it really depends on if one thinks that a senator should do what's best for everyone or what their constituents want. Most people don't seem to want the ctc permanent which is mind-boggling.

34% polled said that the program should "definitely not" be extended and 18% said "No, probably not". I don't even understand.
I'm deeply suspicious of America's hatred of the poor and in particular the cultural image of "welfare families milking the government with lots of children".

There's already plenty of people who hate any of their taxes going to public education because "I shouldn't have to pay for someone else's kid to go to school".

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Shit. This one is going to hurt. Having that extra $300 a month was really helping and we would lose it with this

MotherFan

Oct 27, 2017

This really is surprising. I know that the CTC is helping us and I am sure alot of families with kids are noticing the difference it makes. I'm not sure why so many people would want it to end. If polls are saying this, then I guess I can see why he targeted it as one of the ways to decrease spending on the bill (which imo really does not need to be done, the bills pricetag wa s fine as is).

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I'm deeply suspicious of America's hatred of the poor and in particular the cultural image of "welfare families milking the government with lots of children".

There's already plenty of people who hate any of their taxes going to public education because "I shouldn't have to pay for someone else's kid to go to school".

Yup. I hate it so much.

What is the issue with work requirement?

Lifting people out of poverty should not require people to work.

This really is surprising. I know that the CTC is helping us and I am sure alot of families with kids are noticing the difference it makes. I'm not sure why so many people would want it to end. If polls are saying this, then I guess I can see why he targeted it as one of the ways to decrease spending on the bill (which imo really does not need to be done, the bills pricetag wa s fine as is).

I don't think it's all that surprising considering America doesn't care about those in poverty.

I don't think he's doing it because of the polls, necessarily. I think he drinks that same kool-aid.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
You could see it on this very forum. People without kids complaining how they were getting nothing and how they shouldn't be punished just because they decided not to have kids.

People in this country really don't like when others, even those who clearly need it more, get something extra.

MotherFan

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. I hate it so much.

Lifting people out of poverty should not require people to work.

I don't think it's all that surprising considering America doesn't care about those in poverty.

I don't think he's doing it because of the polls, necessarily. I think he drinks that same kool-aid.
I agree, alot of people won't care just because it is decreasing poverty, which is unfortunate. The real reason I am suprised is because alot of these people will be getting checks. I guess not the older population, but alot of middle class families get out and vote too, and most of them will be getting these checks. Usually people don't want to cut the money they are getting.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Can we just launch this motherfucker into the sun already. I'm tired of seeing him and Sinema both.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
These privileged pieces of trash make me sick. Gotta genuflect first before the capitalism gods before you're entitled to eat. 🙄

That he wouldn't touch the filibuster to pass something as vitally important as fucking voting rights says it all about his true character

Joe Manchin is a white supremacist and this work requirement bullshit is clearly aimed as it is for obvious reasons. America would have a much wider safety net if it had Scandinavian demographics

Last edited:

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I agree, alot of people won't care just because it is decreasing poverty, which is unfortunate. The real reason I am suprised is because alot of these people will be getting checks. I guess not the older population, but alot of middle class families get out and vote too, and most of them will be getting these checks. Usually people don't want to cut the money they are getting.

They do when they think other people who don't "deserve" the money are getting it.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These work requirements are so immoral it makes my head spin. I understand the idea behind incentivizing individuals but has there ever been evidence that this works for these incredibly vulnerable people? If so then I've never seen it.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe somebody can explain this to me... what is even the point of listening to him any more? It seems to me he's not negotiating in good faith--if one of his conditions is accepted he just seems to come up with another one?

And also in my opinion it's not just him and Sinema. I'm pretty sure there are others who are simply using these two as a shield.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Work requirements are fucked up for this. The income cap is especially fucked up. I have friends who make a bit more money than this, but the money has been hugely helpful to them. It was the difference between sending their kid, who I consider my nephew, to a pre-school that had no mask requirements and active COVID and sending him to a decent school where they actually protect the kids against COVID. Fuck, man.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Wow... thought it was per person and that was bad enough. Per family is just freaking ghoulish. I guess that Yacht won't pay for itself.

Aug 30, 2020
Wish could honestly say what I feel about this guy without getting banned or put on a damn watch list. I hope for nothing but terrible things for him and this kind of thing should be proof enough that America is a failed nation.

Yep, and this is why this nation will go to utter ruin. The people cannot organize like they once did hundreds of years ago.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
But like, why? Wouldnt it be better to do something vs nothing long term?

Because I believe that every human life has value and should be taken care of whether they work or not.

If one wants to look at it fiscally, work requirements costs a ton of money to keep track of. It can be cheaper to just give the funds rather than spend it all or more on administrative costs.

Screenshot_2019-10-10_at_4.28.21_PM.png

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this real? Is there really a fucking tax break for buying a yacht? WTF? How can people not be screaming about this?

This makes me so incredibly angry.
Yes, it's real.
The US tax code was always filled with benefits for yacht owners, but this specific provision is some extra brazen garbage that was passed under Trump, and the fact that you don't hear anyone even talk about repealing it, even though it would be amazingly popular, tells you everything you need to know about American politics.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
A few more facts:
  1. Manchin supported the Bank bailouts back in '08.
  2. He owns a big coal mining business AND is on Biden's Climate committee.
  3. He has a gigantic mansion. You can easily Google it.

It's not gonna be enough to try pressing Manchin and Sinema. We need to push the rest of Congress to whip them in line or face punishment. More importantly, we must hit where it hurts the most, the corporate lobbyists they represent.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
you know I was just thinking to myself earlier today, "We as a society really don't punch down on poor children enough, fuck those kids"

Thank you Joe for being the voice we need

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
This is actually higher than I thought he would want to cap it. It's still terrible , but I expected someone like him to set the cap at 40K.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question - what happens if Biden says "No" and just moves forward with it? I guess my question is what are the chances that Manchin falls in line vs sinking it?

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Disney recently increased the minimum wage to $15. Pretty much telling the minorities that they're having it pretty well