• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is this press tour? Are they TRYING to make everyone hate them in advance?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
So whose next to stick their foot in their mouth? Adam Driver drops a racial slur next?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought a company as large and powerful as Disney could afford to coach their actors before press tours so they DONT say dumb shit like this...

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From a Variety interview:

The crazy day of Star Wars conversation continues. But seriously...what the fuck Boyega?

EDIT: Sorry, the phrasing was actually "not mentally strong". Could a mod please update the title?

that's still not what he said though

"Kelly Tran is not mentally strong"

you can infer that but he didn't say that and he's in the middle of navigating the absurd grounds between normal fans and misogynistic weirdo brigades.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
6c658abf5a342ab5d77866.28728795_edit_img_facebook_post_image_file_44367934_1513310645.jpg

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yeah, he's been coming off as a whiny dick in a number of interviews but I was hesitant to say anything.

But this puts it over the edge for me. What the fuck?

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
This press shit is fucking terrible. Everybody shut the fuck up and just let the movie come out, my god.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The issue is that he's basically saying that actors that are bothered by online harrassment are mentally weak.

He's not specifically calling out Kelly specifically but it's a strong implication.

I know what he's trying to get at and he's had a decent record up until now but it's an enormously insensitive thing to say especially in that way.

Basically, this is disappointing.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think he thought that statement through, there's no way he meant to call her a weak person.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Weird take on his part. You can be mentally strong and still find thousands (millions?) of people giving you shit on social media extremely upsetting.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
What I said in the SW OT.
I'll give John the benefit of the a doubt and say that he just didn't think through what he said 'cus it's honestly a really dumb ass comment. Like, super fucking dumb.

I feel like if someone read him back the quote, he'd realize what he said was stupid as shit and honestly really offensive towards Kelly. For all intents and purposes, they seemed to be good friends so I can't imagine John would willingly say something this fucked up about his friend.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'd give him a chance to clarify here first. The implication ain't great, but press tours are a nightmare and it's easy for something stupid to come about as a result.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
"you need to be weak to believe every single comment" is such terrible phrasing, of course it will spawn headlines like this.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly having so much trouble parsing what he is actually talking about there. But it definitely seems like he's talking about KMT, and if so, that's weak JB.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, he's not specifically calling Kellie Marie Tran weak here, but speaking generally in saying that someone would be weak to believe everything they read online. Essentially that you have to be headstrong in being able to ignore a lot of the online trash and tripe.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
John Boyega is a garbage?
Yea I have a feeling he just poorly worded what he meant to say.

At least I hope so.

The thing is he has been a vocal critic of people that have harassed her, and of social media harassment in general. What this looks like it a completely flubbed answer where he's not thinking at all about the example given (what happened with KMT) and is just responding in general terms to 'vocal angry minority'.

It's still a DUMB way to frame it. But his record on this has been quite clear.

John Boyega Defends 'Star Wars' Actor Kelly Marie Tran Against Online Trolls & Called Out An Important Issue

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, let's not mince words here.

John Boyega calls Kelly Marie Tran "weak" for how she reacted to hate mob

Kinda agree with the tweeter that he probably didn't mean it as maliciously as it sounds--but it it still a callous thing for him to say.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's still not what he said though

"Kelly Tran is not mentally strong"

you can infer that but he didn't say that and he's in the middle of navigating the absurd grounds between normal fans and misogynistic weirdo brigades.
You can argue he's referring to like reddit fans as weak, but in the follow up where he says "I realize those things aren't true" it's pretty clear he's talking to his fellow actors

I guess "refer" should be "implies" in the thread title?

Oct 25, 2017
I thought a company as large and powerful as Disney could afford to coach their actors before press tours so they DONT say dumb shit like this...

Not excusing Boyega at all here, but these people have to do a lot of press and interviews pretty much asking the same shit. I know they just want to be done with it. He most likely got a question about this and ranted. Again not excusing him. He needs to clarify cuz this is shitty. It seems he pretty much threw her under the bus.

Yall remember the Age of Ultron Press Tour.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Reading that....it's a bit of a word salad. I kinda want give him the benefit of the doubt here. Obviously, he needs to clarify.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
I think he was saying what happened to her was terrible, and then pivoted to saying one has to be mentally strong to survive this kind of fame. It can be interpreted as a second point, but let's all assume.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
He obviously did not call her weak directly but he implied it by saying that people who reacted like her are weak.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I think he is trying to say the people brigading or reading conspiracy theory/whatever stuff into why they don't like Star Wars aren't "mentally strong?" But, like, he doesn't want to antagonize that portion of the fandom so he dances around it and instead it makes it sound like he's insinuating stuff about KMT? I dunno, it's mealy-mouthed af regardless

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The level of vitriol thrown at Kelly was enough to warrant her reaction to it, she has received far more disgusting hate then anyone else in this new trilogy. You're just adding onto it John, without having the sense of mind to realize how much of it is coming from fans of Finn, for supposedly "ruining" your character arc.

Fuck off Boyega.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
John Boyega is a garbage?
idk Ive liked Boyega since that (bad) Half of a Yellow Sun adaptation but I remember hearing Jesse Cox tell a story back in like 2015/2016 about him being a dick on a plane he was on but didnt really pay it any mind since it was just one story and also who isnt grumpy on a plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.