Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Not sure if threadworthy, but with all the depressing things going on I just wanted to share something positive.

John Cena meets Ukrainian teenager with Down's syndrome who used WWE star as motivation while fleeing Russian invasion

John Cena had an emotional meeting with a Ukrainian teenager with Down's syndrome who used him as motivation while fleeing the country amid the Russian invasion.

The WWE legend and Hollywood actor travelled to the Netherlands to meet 19-year-old fan Misha Rohozhyn, who fled from Mariupol in March with his family and was inspired by the dream of seeing his hero.

During their journey, Misha's mother Liana kept her son going with a "motivational fantasy" that the star would greet them at the end of their travels, and he was upset Cena wasn't there when they arrived in May.

However, the Peacemaker actor saw Misha's story in The Wall Street Journal and explained in a video shared by WWE: 'When I read about Misha's story it reached out to me – not just Misha's story but his mom's as well.

metro.co.uk

John Cena meets Ukrainian teenager with Down's syndrome inspired by WWE star

The Hollywood star says 19-year-old Misha gives him strength.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/disabl...ng-star-who-motivated-his-journey-11654605227 (paywall)
Dutch source: https://nos.nl/artikel/2432015-oekr...ntmoet-held-john-cena-na-vlucht-uit-marioepol

Close thread and hug Eagly if old :)

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
A369AvK.gif

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say that honestly Cena just seems like a very nice dude. I was completely blown away by his work in Peacemaker, dude seemed to give 200% to his character and had great chemistry with everyone and it just seemed like he must have been a really cool dude to work with.

I'm even only tentatively saying this because i'm just waiting for something to prove me wrong.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say that honestly Cena just seems like a very nice dude. I was completely blown away by his work in Peacemaker, dude seemed to give 200% to his character and had great chemistry with everyone and it just seemed like he must have been a really cool dude to work with.

I'm even only tentatively saying this because i'm just waiting for something to prove me wrong.
I feel like he's just a genuinely great guy, and I really really hope that no one proves us wrong.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
cena doing good for kids is always thread worthy

he has used his fame more positively than maybe any other wrestler

OP
OP
Carn

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

Yeah I believe he made recent 'oopsie' regarding China/Taiwan or something; but still, I have the impression that his intentions are good.

(also, stuff like visiting refugees won't hurt the Cena-brand, but as far as I know he had no other business in The Netherlands so he clearly made time for it)

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017

There's the whole thing about him calling Taiwan a country and then apologizing to China for it. Obviously he doesn't believe Taiwan isn't a country, but he cared more about money than standing up to China and respecting Taiwan in that case.

Last edited:

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
There's the whole thing about him calling Taiwan a country and then apologizing to China for it. Obviously he doesn't believe Taiwan is a country, but he cared more about money than standing up to China and respecting Taiwan in that case.

He called Taiwan a country beause Taiwan is a country.

He apologized for it because the man spent literally years learning Mandarin to cultivate business relationships in China for himself and his employer.

I think it's fair to wish he would make that sacrifice, but I don't like demanding it of someone. Taiwan isn't better off or worse off because John Cena calls them a country or apologizes for calling it a country. It's real easy for us to say this shit when we will never experience minor consequences for it. And certainly Make a Wishes all-time greatest celebrity doesn't have a lot to prove about his morality to us.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Cena's been doing things like this his whole career. He genuinely seems like a really good dude

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
John Cena is a real gift. It's heartwarming to see him still taking time for stuff like that.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
He was in Amsterdam? I didn't see him around.

All jokes aside, what an extremely cool thing to do for someone who had to flee from a war zone. Lot of respect for Cena

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
despite how shitty the WWE can be as an organization, some of the wrestlers including Cena seem to be absolutely kind humans and a delight to be around.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
There's the whole thing about him calling Taiwan a country and then apologizing to China for it. Obviously he doesn't believe Taiwan is a country, but he cared more about money than standing up to China and respecting Taiwan in that case.

I always thought that's more of studio meddling than his own personal belief. Fast movies do huge in China.

Oct 27, 2017
I have all the time in the world for John Cena. Whether cameras are there or not, I get the impression he puts a lot into these visits.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
Cena's commitment to do these kinds of things on the regular is really incredible. This is yet another example of how serious he is about making a positive impact on other people's lives.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This will be his legacy as a wrestler/celebrity/actor, just like the time he's always put out for people and fans.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like he's just a genuinely great guy, and I really really hope that no one proves us wrong.

Same. His drive is insane, too. Pro-wrestling, (which is mostly over now, but there was a period where he was still wrestling while doing most of the below), learning to say a speech in Mandarin that many Chinese were shocked how good his accent was for someone learning Mandarin at age ~40, acting, all the make a wish stuff with hundreds of kids, spending hours at the gym to maintain his shape, Peacemaker, visiting a Ukrainian refugee in Netherlands... how many hours a day does he sleep?

fuck, I wish I had 10% of his drive and energy. I get home from work too tired to even play videogames sometimes lol

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Cena seems like a great guy. Liked him ever since i heard him talking about Army.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
There's the whole thing about him calling Taiwan a country and then apologizing to China for it. Obviously he doesn't believe Taiwan isn't a country, but he cared more about money than standing up to China and respecting Taiwan in that case.
if that's all you have against my boy, it just shows what a class act he is

it's not "caring more about money," it's Universal pictures (his employer) forcing him to apologize so they can sell fast and furious over there. it wasn't his call on the matter, Cena let his believes out when called Taiwan a country in the first place

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Cena is an absolutely stand-up human - the fact that he has continued this work well after his time with WWE has ended says a lot (I mean I know technically he is still with the company).

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Best person to ever come out of the WWE, he's incredible.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
No fan of wrestling but have heard and seen so many good things about Cena. Seems like a genuinely great dude.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Cena has always gone out of his way to visit fans in need of support. He has the Make-a-Wish record by literally hundreds.