NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/john-cho-star-netflixs-cowboy-bebop-1199457?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR Breaking News_2019-04-04 09:00:00_lperez&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

Luke Cage' actor Mustafa Shakir is also part of the crew in the series adaptation of the anime that will have its first two episodes directed by Alex Garcia Lopez.

The Bebop has found its crew.

John Cho will topline Cowboy Bebop, Netflix's live-action take on the influential space Western anime, headlining a cast that also sees Luke Cage actor Mustafa Shakir, Daniella Pineda (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom) and Alex Hassell on the call sheet.

Alex Garcia Lopez, who has helmed episodes of Daredevil, Luke Cage and Cloak and Dagger, will direct the first two installments of the 10-episode series. Christopher Yost wrote the first episode.

Showrunning and exec producing are Josh Appelbaum, André Nemec, Jeff Pinkner and Scott Rosenberg of Midnight Radio, the banner behind shows Limetown, High Fidelity, and Knightfall.

Bebop is described as "the jazz-inspired, genre-bending story of a rag-tag crew of bounty hunters on the run from their pasts, as they hunt down the solar system's most dangerous criminals," working from their spaceship, Bebob.

Cho will play Spike Spiegel, which the streamer is describing as "an impossibly cool 'cowboy' (bounty hunter) with a deadly smile, a wry wit, and style to spare. He travels the solar system with his ex-cop partner, Jet, pursuing the future's most dangerous bounties with a combination of charm, charisma — and deadly Jeet Kune Do."

Shakir is playing his partner, Jet Black, "one of the few honest cops in the solar system before an ultimate betrayal robbed him of all that he loved, forcing him into a vagabond life of hunting bounties to put food on the table. Jet is an inveterate jazz enthusiast and Captain of the Bebop."

Pineda is playing Faye Valentine, an amnesiac thief and con artist while Hassell is Vicious, Spiegel's ex-partner who is now out to kill him.

Shinichiro Watanabe, who directed of the original anime, is a consultant on the series, which first aired in Japan in 1998, spawning a manga and film before coming to America in 2001, where it developed a major cult following and unleashed a wave of anime.

Other exec producers include Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements of Tomorrow Studios (Hanna), Yasuo Miyakawa, Masayuki Ozaki, and Shin Sasaki of Sunrise Inc. as well as Tetsu Fujimura and Matthew Weinberg.

Cho, who stars in an episode of Jordan Peele's The Twilight Zone, is coming off an acclaimed performance in Searching, which yielded him an Indie Spirit Award nomination, and The Oath.He has two movies in the can: Tigertail, the love story from Alan Yang that will stream on Netflix, and a remake of The Grudge.

Cho is repped by UTA, 3 Arts, and Morris Yorn. Shakir is repped by Gersh and Robyn Bluestone Management, Pineda is repped by UTA, Kirsten Ames Management, and Schreck Rose. Hassell is repped by Gersh, Magnolia Entertainment, and United Agents.

John Cho is finally going to become a megastar. Also, I hope Ed is introduced in season 2.

OP
OP
NewDonkStrong

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I know Spike is young in the anime, but him and Vicious act, sound and feel much older than 26 or 27. 27 in Japan is like 45 in American media.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Have absolutely no faith in this show but damn I like that casting quite a bit

Edit: man that director/writer team is ass for this show tho smh.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mustafa Shakir is a 👌 pic for Jet Black too. I loved him in Luke Cage. Gonna be wild not hearing him doing a thick Jamaican accent tho.

Unless....?!

greenbird

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
John Cho is underrated, it's great that he's getting more leading opportunities now. This casting seems solid to me, will give it a chance.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Bushmaster is gonna be Jet? Huh, interesting. Was that announced before this and I just missed it?

Also, Daniella Pineda is not who I was expecting them to pick for Faye, but I can kinda see it. She'll definitely be able to do the hair.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shakir was great as Bushmaster. Good to see him in more roles. Seems like it has an interesting cast at least.

OP
OP
NewDonkStrong

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
MV5BMjM2ODgzNDc5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjYwNTYxNDM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,799,1000_AL_.jpg

Already getting those Faye vibes from the actress. ❤️

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I've only known John Cho for his comedy but I heard he was good in that movie "Searching". Honestly, the casting choice is better than I thought it would have been.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I like John Cho so I'd definitely be interested in seeing what he does, but Mustafa Shakir is the bigger news for me personally. He was great in Luke Cage.

I should probably watch this show. I've watched the first two episodes twice, but each time I end up forgetting it exists.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Dude looks like Jet Black aka GOAT Bebop character.

Also funny that Hollywood cast an Asian actor for the lead in a Anime adaptation for a white(?) character. Definitely not complaining tho.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I haven't seen all the anime but just from the talent that's a solid cast!

Pineda is hilarious in The Detour if you wanna see more of her work.