criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
It wouldn't be surprising if they just left to pursue other things. People do it all the time. There isn't any weird reason to suggest a shakeup happening. Days Gone was really successful and I can't wait to see what Bend studio does next.

Dyergram

Nov 26, 2017
Days gone was fun as were shyphon filters back in the day hope they move onto further greatness and I hope bend make another banger!

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for making a great game, loved Days Gone. Hoping for a sequel and something new from them. With old talent leaving, hopefully people can stop begging for Syphon filter.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Both could just be thinking they're leaving the studio in a good place, now they're not just a portable device but a AAA Sony studio with a hit.

I think if days gone didn't do good than this would be bad.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I loved Days Gone so hope that continues. Playing through it now and at some points looks like one of the best looking games this generation, Just needed more time especially amazing given the size of the studio.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
One of them has been gone for over a year already.

That this was said multiple times already apparently isn't enough it seems.

People will join and leave studios all the time. Even studio leads, artists, programmers, musicians, and whoever else.

One or two folks leaving a large group comprised of over 130 employees does not mean the studio is at risk of closure, some corporate shake up, or any other worst case scenario narrative people want to create.

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. I loved Days Gone and these two were really passionate in the interviews. I am especially wondering what this means for the sequel as Garvin was the writer for the game. Hopefully whoever takes up the role is able to give us a worthy sequel.

I wish both the best of luck.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
i hope bend studio keeps ok.
Sony needs all The talented studios they have to be able to deliver a more steady amount of releases on PS5.
3 big releases per year is the bare minimum I expect from Sony this gen...

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
My tinfoil hat says that Days Gone 2 wasn't aproved and they didn't want to start from scratch on a new big project.

Zero evidence of this.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Sad to hear, those two are pretty much the soul of the company and were very passionate about gaming and Days Gone.

Will be interesting to see the next generation of Sony Bend, and hopefully they are working on Days Gone 2

Jan 4, 2018
wonder if ross is gonna start up sommit in chicago
I wouldn't be surprised if he went to Iron Galaxy. They've been hiring a lot recently (including DeeJ), and I feel like I saw something about them looking to scale up and work on more original games/IP rather than be primarily a support studio. And of course Adam Boyes is CEO there, don't know if they were close at all while at PS.

Jul 26, 2018
If I'm Jim Ryan I ask Newman (TLoU Pt. II game director) if he would like to helm the studio or remain at ND. I think he'd want the chance to be a top dog. And to those saying DG2 is a certainty, nobody knows. Sony might have some mandate of new IPs reaching a certain number on aggregate reviews score to be greenlit for series production. They moved on from The Order despite it selling very well.

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Why wouldn't Sony approve? The first game did really well.

Maybe Sony wants record breaking games or critically acclaimed or something, or maybe it wasn' that. I don't know, I'm guessing because they always expressed how much they loved the game and it was very personal to them.

I don't think Bend will continue with it without them but I'm just thinking out loud.

Oct 27, 2017
It's understandable that people move on. But also understandable for people to question DaysGone 2 (not the studio itself) being in trouble seeing as Garvin pretty much wrote DG solo.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Sony wants record breaking games or critically acclaimed or something, or maybe it wasn' that. I don't know, I'm guessing because they always expressed how much they loved the game and it was very personal to them.

I don't think Bend will continue with it without them but I'm just thinking out loud.
I don't buy that Sony asked them not to make the sequel but them not working on DG2 is something that I don't know how to feel about.

I want a sequel at least because the first game ended on a teaser that sound way too awesome not to happen. I really hope whoever writes the sequel does it justice.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, these two guys were literally the face of Sony Bend. They were literally the only 2 I've seen from Bend.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Reading John's tweet thread, that sounds like a man who is just burnt out and looking for a break. Specially with him referencing his two games prior to DG being his favorite. It takes a lot to scale up from doing psp games to a full blown console title spanning many years.

Last edited:

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing that strikes me as odd is why they decided to post these in concert with one another.

May 19, 2020
so the real question is will they eventually come out of retirement to do a new bubsy game. they can't leave that money on the table for long

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
A Company comprised of over 130 people is not going away because one of the faces of the company left.

Why do we do this again and again and again. Folks leave and join companies all the time, during all stages of development active or not.

Everytime without fail, whether it's the company hiring for concept artist, or programming lead, environment designer, or some notable named individual leaving said company, folks always, everytime, without fail continuously and erroneously jump to the conclusion there some sort of company shake up, the studio's at risk, the actual game development is troubled, or some other worst case scenario.

You would think being an enthusiast forum, people would learn from this after a period of time.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like Bend are making a new IP:

Screenshot_2020-12-01_at_23.52.02.png

Screenshot_2020-11-30_at_21.37.11.png
Makes sense, Days Gone Seemed unecessary and not that good.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sony wants to take Bend to another level. Day's Gone was great but story and pace-wise could have been better, so I hope that improves on a sequel or a new IP

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I do think it points to a new I.P, especially after the Linkednl profiles pointing to that. Seems the most likely time to call it for a director role, without disrupting much, though even if Days Gone 2 same would apply, so more just due to the latter still.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing nothing about anything John Garvin's departure sounds personal and not business/creative related.

On Bend, I'd be so much more excited for a new I.P. than for a Days Gone sequel.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knowing nothing about anything John Garvin's departure sounds personal and not business/creative related.

On Bend, I'd be so much more excited for a new I.P. than for a Days Gone sequel.
I really dug Days Gone even though there was clearly room for improvement. I'm still hoping for a sequel because I think a more polished version of those gameplay ideas could be something special. Guess we will see.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, wish them all the best though with whatever they do next.

Also, calm down people, Bend isn't going anywhere.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
If I'm Jim Ryan I ask Newman (TLoU Pt. II game director) if he would like to helm the studio or remain at ND. I think he'd want the chance to be a top dog. And to those saying DG2 is a certainty, nobody knows. Sony might have some mandate of new IPs reaching a certain number on aggregate reviews score to be greenlit for series production. They moved on from The Order despite it selling very well.

The order didnt sell very well, it just broke even or something along the lines.