• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
They don't have any for this afaik (it's all state funded), I'm talking about their standard sponsors like Snickers. When wwe named a match after a pimp, people complained to sponsors, and Snickers forced wwe to change the name (vince SUPER SUPER resented that). But although complaining to their standard sponsors would normally be effective here - as wwe's bread and butter is their tv contract, so they need to retain their tv sponsors - wwe's sponsors themselves may be leery about complaining here - I'm sure for instance Mars (snicker's company) sells plenty of stuff in SA. Hard to say. Kicking up a fuss can't hurt though.

Unfortunately I don't know who their regular week-to-week sponsors are as I don't watch the product.

Yeah, most if not all the big sponsors actively do business with Saudi Arabia so they're not going to do anything.

Nevermind, Kayfabe.com is trash.

Kayfabe is a satirical wrasslin' NEWZ site.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I'll eat the hat on this one. The first half of that dumb article sounds legit. They don't know that if you wanna be satirical, you should probably LEAD with the joke instead of starting 3 paragraphs in.
Well, the headline is "Due to the country's long history of human-rights violations, WWE cancels upcoming events in United States". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Well, the headline is "Due to the country's long history of human-rights violations, WWE cancels upcoming events in United States". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Under it there's Saudi Arabia in bold text, my eyes played tricks on me.

Whatever, I was wrong. I marked out for work, that's my bad.

WWE still needs to do the right thing, and I'm fairly sure they will not. Vince is too carnie for that.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Or the fact they keep getting multi billion dollar deals.

Fair enough a good portion of the fan base may be clued into what's going on in the world but equally there is alot that either don't give a shit or don't know what's going on
Do you know why they got those new TV deals?

Because even though their ratings have been dropping, they still have a core of around 3 million fans who will always watch and having a consistent audience for live shows is the most important thing for channels at the moment.

So basically, because wwe fans on the whole won't stop watching, it allowed wwe to get lucrative TV deals.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because even though their ratings have been dropping, they still have a core of around 3 million fans who will always watch and having a consistent audience for live shows is the most important thing for channels at the moment.

So basically, because wwe fans on the whole won't stop watching, it allowed wwe to get lucrative TV deals.

Hasn't been above 3mil in about 6 months I think.

Smackdown (which got the big money) has been above 3m maybe once in the last few years.

Also my point stands. A good chunk of the fan base probably doesn't know or give a shit what's going on. They're not gonna lose them over this

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

That core is being whittled every week though. They are very close to sub 2M during football season.

Smackdown would be cancelled from Fox if it gets those kind of numbers next year.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hasn't been above 3mil in about 6 months I think.

Smackdown (which got the big money) has been above 3m maybe once in the last few years.

Also my point stands. A good chunk of the fan base probably doesn't know or give a shit what's going on. They're not gonna lose them over this

That core is being whittled every week though. They are very close to sub 2M during football season.

Smackdown would be cancelled from Fox if it gets those kind of numbers next year.
I knew it was around 2 or 3 million but my point still stands.

The reason wwe got their TV deal was because they have a core base that will always watch. It is slowly going down but its still at a level that companies were happy to pay billions to own them.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it was around 2 or 3 million but my point still stands.

The reason wwe got their TV deal was because they have a core base that will always watch. It is slowly going down but its still at a level that companies were happy to pay billions to own them.

It got the deal because for a few months, WWE was up YoY while everyone else was down.

Ironically right after the deals were signed their viewing figures collapsed.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
They got it because it's new live content being produced 52 weeks a year and 200M a year is still relatively cheap.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty sad that, as progressive as this forum thankfully is, wrassle-era just dont give a fuck about this.
Oh they do care and will complain about stuff like this...

Then go straight back to watching every week.

Wwe fans are like battered House wives, always thinking that 'he will change' even though nothing ever changes.
What if I'm part of wrassle era, don't watch WWE anymore, and think WWE taking saudi money is really terrible?

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
If the WWE wanted to get out of the event, the kayfabe reason could be HHH taking all of the wrestler's passports.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
While that may be true, the fans who you do read online complaining are probably just gonna go straight back to watching raw on Monday as usual.

For many wrestling fans, nothing will stop them watching. Not backstage political issues, not terrible business practices, not treating their 'contractors' like shit, and hell, not even a terribly booked product that makes no sense and focuses on the wrong people.

As I said before, many wwe fans are like battered housewives who always think 'he will get better, he loves me deep down' when every outsider realises its just an abusive relationship.
Last sentence is the most accurate description I've read so far of the situation
I think equating watching a television program to domestic abuse is a pretty bad take, myself

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I always bring a bone saw to a good old torturing.

bonesaw-is-ready-gif-6.gif

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I don't watch WWE anymore, but this "guilty by association" thing makes me feel a bit...queasy and uncertain? How many people accusing WWE fans of supporting a shitty organization are also sports fans who have almost certainly supported teams or leagues where heinous stuff has happened? Sorry for the look who's talking fallacy, but nothing out there is pure and good when it comes to almost any type of entertainment.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Under it there's Saudi Arabia in bold text, my eyes played tricks on me.

Whatever, I was wrong. I marked out for work, that's my bad.

WWE still needs to do the right thing, and I'm fairly sure they will not. Vince is too carnie for that.
Vince will probably attempt to stand up for journalists and then tear his quads.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if this show goes ahead.

Hasnt WWE agreed to do 2 big shows a year for SA for the next while? This is only going to keep being a thing.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
They're still promoting it on their Twitter account as of 8 hours ago. There's no bottom to the E
They hyped up Crown Jewel at least a hundred times on Raw apparently, they just got around it by never outright saying the words "Saudi Arabia" and hoping that could cover the damage. They're 100% still doing it in Saudi and just trying to ride out the storm by not acknowledging it on-air until the actual show starts

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It got the deal because for a few months, WWE was up YoY while everyone else was down.

Ironically right after the deals were signed their viewing figures collapsed.

I feel that after those astronomical deals the WWE went full "I don't give a fuck, I got mine" mode and just book whatever Vince wants to see. I know that this probably has for the most part always the case, but now it feels that he went 100% with it

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I feel that after those astronomical deals the WWE went full "I don't give a fuck, I got mine" mode and just book whatever Vince wants to see. I know that this probably has for the most part always the case, but now it feels that he went 100% with it
TBH, they've been in "I don't give a fuck" mode for far longer than that.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Fans are absolutely the reason why they're still in business. Who you think watches shows every Monday and Tuesday? The General Public?
And who are the ones buying shirts, toys, dvds, wwe network and buying tickets for both house shows, ppvs etc.

TV deals and ad money alone could never keep WWE afloat and it's asburd to think so.

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Those same fans cheered Vince coming out, so not really.

And folks are missing the real lede with those TV deals. It is not so much the built in audience, it is how cheap those shows will be for the networks.

WWE handles all the production; production designers, camera guys, writers, talent is all WWE paid for. Networks just have to sell ad time and plug a feed in.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
The WWE pay-per-view event "Crown Jewel" is just 11 days away, but wrestlers won't utter the name of its location on tonight's episode of "Raw." In fact, the words "Saudi Arabia" have been strikingly absent from WWE programming since the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

That's by order of WWE management, an insider told TheWrap. The insider said WWE talent have been instructed to promote the event — but not its location — for two weeks now, ever since the search for Khashoggi turned into a murder investigation, with the Saudi Arabian government as the prime suspect.

WWE has also delayed ticket sales for the big-money event. Seats in King Saud University Stadium were supposed to go on sale this past Friday, but the online portal is not yet active. Tickets are still listed as "coming soon" on the Saudi events website.
As of Monday, WWE was waiting for Turkey to announce details from its investigation into the killing of the Washington Post columnist before it makes a final call about whether to hold the event in Saudi Arabia, the insider said.

The report is expected on Tuesday.

Due to time zone differences, WWE will likely not have a decision before Tuesday night's "SmackDown" episode. But the brass are expected to make a call on Wednesday.
https://www.thewrap.com/why-wwe-talent-wont-say-saudi-arabia-tonight-on-raw-crown-jewel/