TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Cool. I like seeing the legends work on new things. Not a FPS fan, but I'm looking forward to seeing what John and his team come up with.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I remember he said he wanted to start on a new FPS back when Doom 2016 was first shown at Quakecon. Over 6 years ago. Wonder what he's been thinking about since.

Yes I'm aware he made Sigil between then and now.

Now that I think about it, he announced an fps back then

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm not an FPS fan, but I absolutely love the first Doom. Played it back in the day and still play it a lot, the game is just wonderful. You bet I'll keep an eye on this. Also, Romero is amazing, I'm a big fan of this guy.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Would love for this to be a meaty single player fps with big sprawling levels like Doom and Duke3D.
But we all know it's most likely mp focused and or gaas...

Oct 30, 2017
Is this just like the two times he went to kickstarter for an FPS and was chased off for lack of detail, and never came back?
What about the time he tried to sell Oldschool RPG on kickstarter, was chased off for lack of detail, and never came back?

I'd love him to actually deliver, though.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Sigil shows he still has some solid chops in level design so I'm def curious to see more stuff from him

Oct 25, 2017
TQ5csOFS0fFjKZQc2qvCEv-vJIDQhAT1KpoDSIfNNw4.jpg

Day One if they repeat this Nah not really

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely looking forward to this.

Sorry for OT question, but i'm really curious: Aside from BPM (which I adored the demo for), are their any current essential FPS games?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Romero redemption arc continues (hopefully).

I kinda hope they stick to his strengths and go for a more "classic" design.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope he's learned from previous marketing claims. Something something make me his bitch

Oct 30, 2017

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious who this "major publisher" is. Romero hasn't really worked with one in a while, and whether it's an Asian or Western publisher will probably pretty heavily impact my expectations of the game (with a Western publisher more willing to have the game be single player and not just free to play multiplayer). I wonder if this is Private Division - it seems like exactly the type of project they'd greenlight and developer they'd work with.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
As long as it's a straight-up, no bullshit fps, I wish it and him the best.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
John Romero presents…

MOOD

Travel to heaven where you, a bad hombre dukes it out against the angels through 32 levels.

12 different enemy types including:

Softy
CyberAngel
Spidergoddessmind

Weapons:

Holy water
Bible
Poseidon's Trident
Big Falling Gong 9k

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
He wasn't the driving force behind the "make you his bitch" slogan, that was his biz guy. I'm sure he could have put a stop to it, he should have. I've always liked Romero though. Sigil is good, this new FPS will hopefully be classic Romero.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
He did a talk here in the uk last week, someone asked him a question about it and he said it's coming out soon. I'm pretty sure he said it would have 30+ levels . Had a quick talk with him, he was a nice guy

tPUTCa.jpg

Awesome sauce. I've talked to him a little via email a while back and got the same vibe. Just a very chill dude nowadays.

He wasn't the driving force behind the "make you his bitch" slogan, that was his biz guy. I'm sure he could have put a stop to it, he should have. I've always liked Romero though. Sigil is good, this new FPS will hopefully be classic Romero.

Indeed that honor belongs to Mike Wilson

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Galway developed boomer shooter is a-go! Shame that idTech isn't licensable anymore, or we would have come full circle.

I'm really curious who this "major publisher" is. Romero hasn't really worked with one in a while, and whether it's an Asian or Western publisher will probably pretty heavily impact my expectations of the game (with a Western publisher more willing to have the game be single player and not just free to play multiplayer). I wonder if this is Private Division - it seems like exactly the type of project they'd greenlight and developer they'd work with.
My best guess would be one of the publishers under the Embracer group. They've been putting out content from every A and AA developer in Europe, it seems.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
wasn't this a marketing foible that Romero couldn't manage to veto or something like that? maybe i'm thinking of something else

gamesauce via kotaku

https://kotaku.com/john-romero-is-so-sorry-about-trying-to-make-you-his-bi-5541406

"You know, I never wanted to make you my bitch, not you, not them, not any of the other players and, mosy importantly, not any of my fans," said Romero. "Up until that ad, I felt I had a great relationship with the gamer and the game development community and that ad changed everything … I regret it and I apologize for it."

"I knew it was risky, and I didn't want to do it. It didn't make sense. I mean, there's the whole culture of smack talk that goes with games and especially the FPS's, and that was something I was known for."

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
He really is branding on the Romero name, isn't he?

Why not? He's one of the most legendary game designers in gaming. Even with everything that's happened, he still made DOOM.
Yeah, I'd say he's "still got it" when it comes to level design, too.
I never got around to playing SIGIL (Ooh! Right, I need to do that, lol...) but his two replacement levels for Doom episode 1 that he released the couple years before SIGIL (I think?) were excellent in my opinion.

re: Empire of Sin. This sounds like his project, and Empire of Sin was very much his wife's project, from what I understand.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Yeah, I'd say he's "still got it" when it comes to level design, too.
I never got around to playing SIGIL (Ooh! Right, I need to do that, lol...) but his two replacement levels for Doom episode 1 that he released the couple years before SIGIL (I think?) were excellent in my opinion.

re: Empire of Sin. This sounds like his project, and Empire of Sin was very much his wife's project, from what I understand.

Romero is like one of those silent film stars who could never quite make the transition to talkies. Thankfully the videogame industry has reached a point where old school FPS design is viable again.

Still though, I find it weird how one of the main brains behind Wolf/Doom/Quake basically went on to do nothing for decades. I guess Diakatana must have ruined everything.

Either that or developing random mobile games is low-key the secret to being a happy game developer.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I'm kinda bummed that it's a UE5 game. As great as Sigil was, I'd love to see him take the GZDOOM engine and do something really cool and new with it. I've really been enjoying Hedon Bloodrite, Project Warlock, and Blade of Agony, and those are three games (well, two games and one standalone mod) that make great use of GZDOOM.