• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Glad the trial is over. Youtube has been recommending endless "X reacts to Amber Heard lying!" videos to me for weeks despite my never clicking a single one of them. The media circus surrounding this has been revolting and probably pushed the overall narrative past what's constructive (i.e. male domestic abuse victims are real and deserve justice) to the salacious and regressive (i.e. women are liars and don't).

I can sympathize to some extent with people who are worried this verdict pushes the wrong message since the wrong message is definitely being pushed by a bunch of assholes right now. Still, based on the facts as presented it does seem Depp was victimized and deserved to win the case.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
For the people worried about how this might effect things like the MeToo movement, how about using this as an example to show the world that support for domestic abuse victims is inclusive and it's a problem that effects everyone, and everyone should be brave enough to speak out against it knowing that they'll be heard. Rather than arguing that it'd be good if some domestic abuse victims just stayed silent.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know how to emotionally parse some of the nonsense being born out of the tribalism surrounding this case anymore.

Any "chilling effect" towards victims of DV coming forward will be from media repeatedly pushing the narrative that "#MeToo is finished" and that this case shows that abusers will retaliate against victims using the law. (In a sick way, that's almost exactly what would have happened here.)

You only legitimize conservatives when you relinquish the truth to their side. You are straight up handing them the opportunity to be the only "correct" ones. You are legitimately co-conspiring with them, inadvertently or not, to enable misogyny and the silencing of victims.

Evidence continues to mean nothing (unless it can be bent to fit a narrative). Gaslighting reigns. People continue to disappoint in novel, increasingly sickening ways. And it's tiring.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Just woke up and saw the verdict. Good for Depp. I hope Era and everyone else takes a long hard look on this issue. There are many male abuse victims just because they are male doesn't mean they cannot be a victim

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously this is what I dont get.

Why the fuck are MeToo supporters doubling down and denying a clear cut victim JUST because he's a man?

I dont understand what people want from Depp

Should he just not speak up and allow people to believe in the lie?

Yes, that is exactly what they want. They're more concerned with political optics than actual abuse victims.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Seriously this is what I dont get.

Why the fuck are MeToo supporters doubling down and denying a clear cut victim JUST because he's a man?

I dont understand what people want from Depp

Should he just not speak up and allow people to believe in the lie?

Because it would be the same as admitting they were wrong following Heard when she used MeToo for personal gain.

And on the internet, most people won't admit their wrongs, even if it means siding with the clear abuser.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But if y'all don't realize how deranged this has looked from the outside in then I'm seriously worried, because it has been vicious. And before someone says "Heard brought this on herself by associating with MeToo first", I want to remind us all that what kicked this all off was a few statements, in one interview, that didn't even name Depp. This has been wildly disproportionate.

I'm out y'all. Enjoy the orgy.

What

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Great but unexpected decision. Amber needs to pay for using Me Too against Johnny. It's fucked.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I have no horse in this but I think Kate Moss's story did a real damage to Heard's case. She's called out by the alleged "victim" herself. In stead of owning up to the lie, she dug deeper instead.

Heard's lawyer is also godawful. They tried to manipulate Jury by positioning Amber as a representative of abused victim and they all should feel bad should they side with Depp. Just awful.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Just admit how excited you got when you realized that actually maybe a women was the bad one this time. Just show a bit of that glee. Its okay. Stupid cunt got what she deserved. Its okay to say it now
Do you realise the life of someone was pretty much ruined because of false allegations, perpetrated by his abuser who managed to pretend she was a victim ?

It's not a game. Real people suffer from DV. Your comment is just so so gross and disgusting.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I mean, any supposed long-term damage towards #MeToo will be determined by how much these online progressive allow AH to get away with co-opting the movement.

From what we've seen in recent days, hardly any of these "progressives" online on Twitter are breaking rank from AH. Instead, most seem to be casting doubt on the victim in this trial, JD.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
I think there is the potential for this to damage women who are the victims of abuse - I think it's naive to believe otherwise because we don't live in a perfect, rational world.

That's not to say, in any way whatsoever, that this verdict shouldn't have been reached and that Johnny Depp shouldn't have defended himself as a victim of abuse.

It's basically saying that positive outcomes can be used by people with nefarious intentions, and I'm sure this will be.

And that's on Amber Heard, but it doesn't change the fact that this may damage future female victims of abuse.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not litigating the facts of the trial. If you claim the audience reaction to it hasn't been profoundly misogynistic regardless of what she did, I can only assume you're lying. When has any male abuser gotten the gleeful cruelty, the sheer delight at getting to call someone a lying bitch, that this one has?

I can not speak for people on twitter or other social media. So I won't, except for acknowledging there are a lot of misogynistic assholes out there, who are delighted to see a woman being torn down.

But I can speak for the people here on Era. There were a lot of people in the trial thread who have seen a lot of the trial. Who habe seen Amber on the stand. Who saw her tell unmistakable lie after unmistakable lie. Who heard her admit to hitting Depp, and gaslighting him into thinking he shouldn't be hurt. We saw her present 'evidence' that was just the same fucking picture, but with increased saturation. And she claimed they were two separate foto's. We have seen with our own eyes how calculating, manipulative, cruel, vindictive and violent she can be.

At the same time we've seen how much Depp has been hurt by this. In person by her behavior, on a grander scale by her accusations.

The fact that the audience reaction is so different when compared to male abusers, is that we, on this site, have seen what a horrible, horrible person she is. And we did not see that as much with that asshole Spacey. So people are gonna be more invested. And feel more when we see that piece of shit finally having to fave some form of justice.

Nov 14, 2017
I mean, Amber heard is literally the perpetrator of DV claiming her partner is the liar.

Right wingers are saying it's the end of Metoo, because moronic "progressives" allowed and are still allowing Heard to co-op the movement without merit.
Yea, exactly. It'll take a while for that to shake out, because the chuds will be pointing at those 'progressives' who are reinforcing very patriarchal ideas about women by assuming they are powerless and can't perpetrate DV.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get why some people are latched onto Heard like this. I believed her. But the more evidence that was presented, the more her story fell apart, and the more clear it became that SHE was the abuser. Her being awful doesn't hurt the movement.

Some people would literally rather die than admit they were wrong. And I'm not exaggerating. There are stories of anti-vaxers' last words being that they don't believe they had COVID.

Feb 1, 2022
Not a fan of all the weird celebration. Fanboyism is a bit intense for me these days. I'm alright with it going the way it did, but I think my feelings stop there.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive post in a sensitive thread
Can the media please now cover things that matter

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I was abused and manipulated for almost three years by a woman who destroyed my self esteem, isolated me from friends and family, micromanaged my life, and turned me into an emotional husk and I wouldn't wish 1% of what's been going on these last few months on her, because that would be unfathomably cruel. And its not because I've forgiven her, because I haven't. I still hate her, frankly. I carry a lot of that shit with me every day, its made intimacy with other people extremely challenging.

But if y'all don't realize how deranged this has looked from the outside in then I'm seriously worried, because it has been vicious. And before someone says "Heard brought this on herself by associating with MeToo first", I want to remind us all that what kicked this all off was a few statements, in one interview, that didn't even name Depp. This has been wildly disproportionate.

Weird, there were very specific questions answered by the jury, who was convinced by the plentiful evidence that Amber Heard was fabricating her abuse and intentionally defaming Depp. The "one interview that didn't even name Depp" sure is one uneducated way to portray it.

Lemme guess, you didn't follow the trial, actually?

Because if one thing is clear, it's that virtually all the people standing up for Amber still didn't follow the damn trial. They even admit to it, too. Which, hey, if you have no sense for shame and want to out yourself as an idiot, good for us.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
How is this the end of #MeToo if Jessie Smollet was not the end of BLM?

maybe proper movements are bigger then one singular person?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's actual insanity. I knew a few people would come and show their ass on here, but the sheer number of them doing it now is disturbing.

I feel like more people care about trying to appear on the "right" side rather than actual justice being served. Leftist spaces are full of posturing idiots. You have to be willingly ignorant to just ignore the testimony and evidence that was on Depp's side here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was abused and manipulated for almost three years by a woman who destroyed my self esteem, isolated me from friends and family, micromanaged my life, and turned me into an emotional husk and I wouldn't wish 1% of what's been going on these last few months on her, because that would be unfathomably cruel. And its not because I've forgiven her, because I haven't. I still hate her, frankly. I carry a lot of that shit with me every day, its made intimacy with other people extremely challenging.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously shocked by the amount of people here siding with Heard (aka the abuser in this case).

This trial and the verdict is not an attack on women or MeToo. It is about admitting Heard lied, maliciously, to everyone and did so to hurt him after abusing him. Get real people...

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Glad the trial is over. Youtube has been recommending endless "X reacts to Amber Heard lying!" videos to me for weeks despite my never clicking a single one of them. The media circus surrounding this has been revolting and probably pushed the overall narrative past what's constructive (i.e. male domestic abuse victims are real and deserve justice) to the salacious and regressive (i.e. women are liars and don't).

I can sympathize to some extent with people who are worried this verdict pushes the wrong message since the wrong message is definitely being pushed by a bunch of assholes right now. Still, based on the facts as presented it does seem Depp was victimized and deserved to win the case.
Yeah, I also haven't watched a single moment of the trial, I've read up on it elsewhere on different devices than ones I use Youtube on and this shit always FLOODS my suggestions. I'm very happy that Depp won the case because, of course I would be, but I do think the media circus around it has made it into a weird almost spectator sport-esque event where I saw people saying some VERY uncomfortable things toward Amber Heard and how she was lying, which, while true in this instance, had an air of people seeming like they thought this way about all women. I don't feel sorry for HER, but I can feel uncomfortable with how people were talking about an abuse case that really shouldn't have been the media circus it was.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Despite Johnny's win being a good thing, Amber Head's high jacking of the #metoo movement and the progressive media's almost religious dedication to her means the benefit of the doubt which was automatically afforded to women is now on shakier ground.

This is not on Johnny and Im glad he won.Amber winning would have sent the entirely wrong message that grifting will always be rewarded.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Camille Vasquez and Ben Chew and the rest of Depp's legal team get to have fun tonight. Mega pints all round

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
I hope after today he's able to put this shit behind him and move on with his life and career. I'd love to see him in another Pirates movie. :<

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Because if one thing is clear, it's that virtually all the people standing up for Amber still didn't follow the damn trial. They even admit to it, too. Which, hey, if you have no sense for shame and want to out yourself as an idiot, good for us.
And they make fun of the people that use the trial as an actual argument, which is hilarious

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fucking great.

I responded to a tweet from Carlos Maza, who I'm a massive fan of, and he decided to block me.

What absolute bullshit.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
there was a lot of mention about Jeff Grubb having a real bad take but I don't see it, anyone got a summary?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
go-hard.gif

I did not expect to see a Kreayshawn GIF in this thread.

Or any thread, really.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Not a fan of all the weird celebration. Fanboyism is a bit intense for me these days. I'm alright with it going the way it did, but I think my feelings stop there.
I don't think he had this many fans here. People are happy that a victim of abuse painted as an abuser got the tell the true story and got justice done. Most here are people that actively followed the trial and are informed on the evidence, testimonies and facts, not fanboys.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody worried about Me Too and all that stuff should blame Amber Heard, not Depp, not the lawyers, nor the jury
Yeah.

Unfortunately her allegations have done a lot of harm, to Depp himself and then theres the chuds that will use the trial as an attempt to silence women or cast doubt on them. Something that was already traditionally very hard for women to get through.

So great job, Amber. You've accomplished nothing but making it harder for women to be believed or make others feel comfortable coming forward. Hope it was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.