• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Due to glowing comments here and other parts of the internet, I decided to start reading Malazan Book of the Fallen saga by Steven Erikson and Ian C. Esslemont. TBH I have a thing for the fantasy genre and, wanting to write a novel (or, should I say, starting to... then again, that's a tale for another day. Well, literally!), I also wanted to read some well-reviewed stuff to inspire me in terms of prose, scope, character development, etc. And, obviously, because I wanted to read more well-written fantasy.

Currently making my way through Gardens of the Moon and, what can I say... it's been a bit tough. I appreciate that sometimes creators don't give a shit about holding the reader's (or viewer's) hand and they don't bother explaining a lot of stuff which would bog down even more the pacing because of constant infodumps. I get it and, as I said, I appreciate it - at least in this "don't compromise your vision, fellow creative!" ridiculous way. Happened to me with Mad Men, happened to me with The Wire, and it's happening now with this.

Erikson doesn't give a fuck about holding your hand.

That, on the other hand, makes the difficulty of advancing higher. You either catch up or you fall by the wayside. I think (might be wrong, though) I'm doing an OK job so far. I'm somewhat sure I can distinguish between every 'major' character introduced so far so at least in that regard I'm OK. I can't discern some of their motivations, however, but I guess that will become clearer as I read (especially now I literally don't get what's with Hairlock... or the apparent baddies that possessed a girl), so I won't ask about it.
What somewhat gets me is that... I don't really care? Save for maybe Tattersail and maaaaaaaybe Ganoes, I have no major attachment to or interest in any of these people, at least on the Empire side. Somehow Eriksen made me more invested in the Darujhistan people than the ones from the Empire - I liked the dynamic between Crokus, Rallick, Kruppe and Murillio. I liked the intrigue with Circle Breaker, the alchemist and Turban Orr. I somehow got invested. But the Empire people seemed like an unlikeable bunch, all of them, who are completely untrusting of each other despite being, apparently, on the same side. Or even the same fucking military unit. Then again, I'm pretty sure that's by design and it'll all pay off eventually, I'm just saying it doesn't make for very compelling reading *as of now*.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention I'm currently at BOOK THREE, THE MISSION (Chapter 9) so please, please, please no spoilers from beyond that point or from the next books. I don't mind if you wanna tell me very vague (non-specific, non-spoilerific) things about from the rest of the book, if it gets better, if it somehow changes or it doesn't, etc. But please, ***no details.***

Anyway, it may sound a bit negative so far, but I assure it's not. It's tough but I think it's been good so far, knowing that apparently the book has a great payoff. I'm sure it's worth it. And I'm not gonna leave it there, unfinished. I'm gonna reach the end of the book at least, no matter what.
As I said earlier, I liked the Darujhistan chapters, it gave the imminent collision course for these two fronts much more interesting than if we never knew about the people from the city that's about to be conquered (I assume). I can only hope the military side of the narrative gets better for me.

Feel free to comment, even to make sure I don't give up on this series or something like that. Let's make this a worthwhile journey by traveling together!

Random questions:
  • I don't get Warrens. From what I gather, they can be used as "roads" between points (so, instead of teleporting, you travel through a Warren until reach the door that corresponds to the place you want to go) but they're also... the source of different type of magic? Are there different "types" of Warrens? As in "some are used to travel, some are used as magic sources, some are used as [whatever]"? Or I have this completely wrong?
  • Also, I don't get the card deck thingie that Tattersail used. It's like Tarot, I get that, but... I don't get the cards. Or why the exact same Cards are from different Houses? Like, what determines that?
  • Is the Hairlock puppet an actual miniature replica (but wooden) of said guy's body, or is it just a random puppet that moves on its own and the characters just "know" it's inhabited by Hairlock's essence? Because if it's some random wooden figure that moves on its own then I find it hilarious.
  • What are the Hounds? Are they intelligent? Are they actually some monstruous quadrupedal beasts or the "Hound" moniker is more like a symbolic epithet?
  • AFAIK, the coin spinning sound means Oponn is meddling, right? Directly interfering with some mysterious purpose that I'll eventually learn, I assume.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I made it 2/3 of the way through this before quitting a couple years ago. Maybe I'll make it my next book after I finish the Master and Commander audiobook.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I remember starting the book almost 3 times before I got through it.

I couldn't give you even a passing summary of the book nowadays, it was so stupidly dense.

However, I will always remember my reward for sticking through it. And that was some of the most epic shit I have ever read in books 2 and 3. The epilogue, you know the one, and the city siege.

I finally gave up at like book 5, despite pre buying the next 2. Is there a damn sparknotes wiki page for this series that I have been unable to find? I think I would enjoy a reread if I could read a summary of every chapter I just finish, it's so near impenetrable because I have tried twice since to restart GotM and failed.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I've got this on a list of series to get into down the line once I get some others finished, though the mentions of how hard it can be to get into are a bit intimidating.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  • I don't get Warrens. From what I gather, they can be used as "roads" between points (so, instead of teleporting, you travel through a Warren until reach the door that corresponds to the place you want to go) but they're also... the source of different type of magic? Are there different "types" of Warrens?

The Warrens are other realms entirely. Mages can channel particular warrens themselves and use magic aligning with the theme of the Warren. Sometimes they intersect with the world in such a way that they can be used to travel. There are different types of Warrens absolutely, but it will kind of spoil things to explain further.

• Also, I don't get the card deck thingie that Tattersail used. It's like Tarot, I get that, but... I don't get the cards. Or why the exact same Cards are from different Houses? Like, what determines that?

The 'Deck of Dragons' is a tarot-styled deck that adepts use to learn things. Instead of 'suits' you have 'Houses'. You will learn more about exactly what the cards represent over time.

• What are the Hounds? Are they intelligent? Are they actually some monstruous quadrupedal beasts or the "Hound" moniker is more like a symbolic epithet?

They look like very large black dogs. They are at least intelligent enough to take the orders from their master.

Last edited:

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
To answee your questions:

• I don't get Warrens. From what I gather, they can be used as "roads" between points (so, instead of teleporting, you travel through a Warren until reach the door that corresponds to the place you want to go) but they're also... the source of different type of magic? Are there different "types" of Warrens? As in "some are used to travel, some are used as magic sources, some are used as [whatever]"? Or I have this completely wrong.
Warrens can be thought of sort of like pocket dimensions. They're all different, some are inhabited. Some people can access them to use magic but what they can do is dependant on the warrens properties. They're explained more as you go on but are purposely vauge. Some can be travelled through, others can't.
Explained as you go, think of them as fancy magic tarot cards for now. You don't need to know exactly how they work yet.
  • Is the Hairlock puppet an actual miniature replica (but wooden) of said guy's body, or is it just a random puppet that moves on its own and the characters just "know" it's inhabited by Hairlock's essence? Because if it's some random wooden figure that moves on its own then I find it hilarious.
Complicated but basically yes hairlock himself is in the puppet.
They are literally giant scary dogs and they're certainly intelligent. You'll find out where they come from later.
  • AFAIK, the coin spinning sound means Oponn is meddling, right? Directly interfering with some mysterious purpose that I'll eventually learn, I assume.
Yeah

The books are really hard to read in places but it gets better as it goes on. It demands a lot from tje reader, it's very easy to miss incredibly important details the first time round. Highly recommend the audiobooks if you tend to skim read.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
I've read all 10 and really enjoyed my time with the series! Just don't expect every disparate plot thread to come together in the last book as the world and story of Malazan are too utterly massive for that. Also, you better get used to the author's frequent use of in medias res.

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
The Warrens are other realms entirely. Mages can channel particular warrens themselves and use magic aligning with the theme of the Warren. Sometimes they intersect with the world in such a way that they can be used to travel. There are different types of Warrens absolutely, but it will kind of spoil things to explain further.

The 'Deck of Dragons' is a tarot-styled deck that adepts use to learn things. Instead of 'suits' you have 'Houses'.

They look like very large black dogs. They are at least intelligent enough to take the orders from their master.

To answee your questions:

The books are really hard to read in places but it gets better as it goes on. It demands a lot from tje reader, it's very easy to miss incredibly important details the first time round. Highly recommend the audiobooks if you tend to skim read.

thank you both for your replies, at least I get Warrens now a bit better :)

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
Oh you are in for a fantastic ride! Gardens of the Moon is good but alittle rough in how it throws you in. You aren't supposed to know everything that happens but it'll start to fill in as you go.

For your questions, those can be tough to answer directly so early. Warrens get expanded on in future books as do the hounds and deck of dragons. A big thing when discussing this series is RAFO (read and find out). Just keep at it OP it all is worth it

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When you get to the next few books, don't worry if it feels like they contradict minor things from Gardens of the Moon. He wrote that one so much in advance of the others that he ended up retconning a few things later.

One has to do with the T'lan Imass. I really don't think it's a spoiler but I will spoiler tag it

In Gardens of the Moon he says the T'lan Imass used to be the T'lan people. He corrects that starting in the second book that they were the Imass.

The other one I can think of off the top of my head is the ages of some of the characters as they are presented in the prologue of Gardens of the Moon make no sense and don't fit in with the timeline of the rest of the series

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I gave up after a hundred pages in the first book. Good luck OP, already doing infinitely better than me.

hahaha, thanks! Can't blame you, it kinda takes it sweet time to "move"... so if you aren't into said pace, I totally get quitting.

Oh you are in for a fantastic ride! Gardens of the Moon is good but alittle rough in how it throws you in. You aren't supposed to know everything that happens but it'll start to fill in as you go.

For your questions, those can be tough to answer directly so early. Warrens get expanded on in future books as do the hounds and deck of dragons. A big thing when discussing this series is RAFO (read and find out). Just keep at it OP it all is worth it

thank you too. I had a hunch a lot of it is a matter of RAFO, so... yeah, I better get used to it 😅

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember starting the book almost 3 times before I got through it.

I couldn't give you even a passing summary of the book nowadays, it was so stupidly dense.

However, I will always remember my reward for sticking through it. And that was some of the most epic shit I have ever read in books 2 and 3. The epilogue, you know the one, and the city siege.

I finally gave up at like book 5, despite pre buying the next 2. Is there a damn sparknotes wiki page for this series that I have been unable to find? I think I would enjoy a reread if I could read a summary of every chapter I just finish, it's so near impenetrable because I have tried twice since to restart GotM and failed.
I was reading this blog along with the first book so I could get their thoughts on what things actually meant and some context. It was super helpful.
www.tor.com

The Malazan Re-read of the Fallen: Gardens of the Moon, Prologue and Chapter 1 - Reactor

Welcome to the first post in what’s sure to be a long and interesting project: the Malazan Re-read of the Fallen! Every post will start off with a summary of events, followed by reaction and commentary by your hosts Bill and Amanda (with Amanda, new to the series, going first), and finally...

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
When you get to the next few books, don't worry if it feels like they contradict minor things from Gardens of the Moon. He wrote that one so much in advance of the others that he ended up retconning a few things later.

thanks for the heads up! I totally get a "this is the pilot episode and early season 1" vibe from GOTM, so it doesn't surprise me there's some light retconning later. IIRC from the foreword he even presented GOTM (or, at least, the thing that would become GOTM) as a pilot to different networks and got rejected every time, so... not surprising. It's both very ambitious and also structured in a way that really reminds me of TV episodes, with the jumping viewpoints and short scenes.

I was reading this blog along with the first book so I could get their thoughts on what things actually meant and some context. It was super helpful.
www.tor.com

The Malazan Re-read of the Fallen: Gardens of the Moon, Prologue and Chapter 1 - Reactor

Welcome to the first post in what’s sure to be a long and interesting project: the Malazan Re-read of the Fallen! Every post will start off with a summary of events, followed by reaction and commentary by your hosts Bill and Amanda (with Amanda, new to the series, going first), and finally...

this is super super helpful, thanks for sharing it!

Mills

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if I agree that it pays off in the end, very unique and interesting style of storytelling though.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I enjoyed Gardens of the Moon but it was kind of a mixed ride as a series. Has some good highs and some awful and shitty bits a plenty too.

The glossary and appendices at the back are your friend. I'm awful with names and I keep checking back to see who is who. Many characters are also using aliases, are referred to by various titles and what not. A warning, the series doesn't exactly follow any single one character so if you have favourites from Gardens of the Moon you may not see them again in the next two books but generally each book has some interesting characters.

I don't get Warrens. From what I gather, they can be used as "roads" between points (so, instead of teleporting, you travel through a Warren until reach the door that corresponds to the place you want to go) but they're also... the source of different type of magic? Are there different "types" of Warrens? As in "some are used to travel, some are used as magic sources, some are used as [whatever]"? Or I have this completely wrong?

Warrens are so of like other planes or realms. Some are more unique in circumstances/situation/creation than others. Mages can open a path into a warren and exit somewhere else. The way it works is sort of "loosely" defined but some
warrens can be dangerous to traverse. It might be unstable. So while a mage might find a warren through the shadow realm can take him across the continent from A to B takes 6 days, a less stable warren through a more dangerous realm might cut it down to three days.
Not all magic comes from warrens, generally speaking references to "old" magic and some of the characters will have powers that are not entirely warren based. Some of the more powerful figures will have access to magic from the warrens as well as other stuff.
A warren can sometimes be referred to as a realm or house. House of Shadow might refer to all the power players and rulers of the warren of shadow. Some warrens have known and recognised kings/rulers and a bit of court system. The rulers are generally powerful and sometimes revered as gods. As an example Hood is the current ruler of the warren that governs the spirits/afterlife. Essentially the grim reaper and typically referred to as a God of Death.

Also, I don't get the card deck thingie that Tattersail used. It's like Tarot, I get that, but... I don't get the cards. Or why the exact same Cards are from different Houses? Like, what determines that?
These are imo not well defined but the deck of dragons is a stack of cards that are typically used for fortune telling. Its accuracy and interpretation varies based on who draws and reads the cards. It is a tool used by the author to vaguely foretell things to come. Eg a small band of soldiers seek fortune about their next battle only to discover multiple gods have a stake in the battle and end up more concerned than before they went in. Gods or rulers of a warren often have some kind of court. So one position you see often is "mortal sword" which is typically the chosen champion who fights for the warren or god. The position is not always officially given and how it works or any specific benefits tend to vary but at least usually the chosen gets some boons such as healer in dire situations or outright endurance increase etc.
What are the Hounds? Are they intelligent? Are they actually some monstruous quadrupedal beasts or the "Hound" moniker is more like a symbolic epithet?
They are intelligent. They are part of the warren of Shadows and obey the rulers of the realm as well. You learn more about them later. They are huge, intelligent and can pretty much reduce a city to ruins.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I got up to the sixth book and got distracted by other things

I want to finish it, but man this series is fairly all consuming. I also don't think Erikson is the best writer of characters/dialogue, although his world building is amazing.

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I enjoyed Gardens of the Moon but it was kind of a mixed ride as a series. Has some good highs and some awful and shitty bits a plenty too.

The glossary and appendices at the back are your friend. I'm awful with names and I keep checking back to see who is who. Many characters are also using aliases, are referred to by various titles and what not. A warning, the series doesn't exactly follow any single one character so if you have favourites from Gardens of the Moon you may not see them again in the next two books but generally each book has some interesting characters.

Warrens are so of like other planes or realms. Some are more unique in circumstances/situation/creation than others. Mages can open a path into a warren and exit somewhere else. The way it works is sort of "loosely" defined but some
warrens can be dangerous to traverse. It might be unstable. So while a mage might find a warren through the shadow realm can take him across the continent from A to B takes 6 days, a less stable warren through a more dangerous realm might cut it down to three days.
Not all magic comes from warrens, generally speaking references to "old" magic and some of the characters will have powers that are not entirely warren based. Some of the more powerful figures will have access to magic from the warrens as well as other stuff.
A warren can sometimes be referred to as a realm or house. House of Shadow might refer to all the power players and rulers of the warren of shadow. Some warrens have known and recognised kings/rulers and a bit of court system. The rulers are generally powerful and sometimes revered as gods. As an example Hood is the current ruler of the warren that governs the spirits/afterlife. Essentially the grim reaper and typically referred to as a God of Death.

These are imo not well defined but the deck of dragons is a stack of cards that are typically used for fortune telling. Its accuracy and interpretation varies based on who draws and reads the cards. It is a tool used by the author to vaguely foretell things to come. Eg a small band of soldiers seek fortune about their next battle only to discover multiple gods have a stake in the battle and end up more concerned than before they went in. Gods or rulers of a warren often have some kind of court. So one position you see often is "mortal sword" which is typically the chosen champion who fights for the warren or god. The position is not always officially given and how it works or any specific benefits tend to vary but at least usually the chosen gets some boons such as healer in dire situations or outright endurance increase etc.

They are intelligent. They are part of the warren of Shadows and obey the rulers of the realm as well. You learn more about them later. They are huge, intelligent and can pretty much reduce a city to ruins.

Thank you very much for replying, I appreciate the explanations 😁

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah get ready for a hell of a step up in the quality of writing and excitement the series begins to build with the second and third book.

I've been thinking I need to dig these out and do a re read.

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
I think I dropped out in the 5th or 6th book when I realized I didn't really like the way the author told stories all that much. I just didn't particularly care where things ended up.

A lot of the imagery has stuck with me for years though! If Erikson had the goal of imprinting his pet concepts into random people's minds in memorable ways that resurface every couple years, which I assume is a goal for lots of fiction authors, then he did a better job than most.

Realizing what was up with the Otataral ******..... good stuff. No clue why the earth goddess was called Burn tho. That always made me do a double take.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Man....I finally picked this book up about two months back, and it's legit been the biggest slog to read through. I gave it up as a bad job recently, but I know I'll eventually double back and try again. I always do with books. Hopefully it'll hook me then.

I'll keep an eye on this thread though.

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
A series that begins with a massacre and thing only get worse from there. Good luck OP. The slog is long but worth it. Just don't expect Robert Jordan levels of foreshadowing.

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Man....I finally picked this book up about two months back, and it's legit been the biggest slog to read through. I gave it up as a bad job recently, but I know I'll eventually double back and try again. I always do with books. Hopefully it'll hook me then.

I'll keep an eye on this thread though.

can't blame you! It's totally understandable if you find the pacing slow and it's not grabbing you - I guess I was "lucky" I had recently finished a reread of another doorstopper with a slow pace, Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. I would say its pacing is glacial, even, but I appreciated a lot of what Eco did in that book and I don't mind the slow movement of plot if there are other things that make the lack of movement worthwhile (for example, as I mentioned in my OP - The Wire and Mad Men. Both would be considered "slow" TV shows and I love them to bits while acknowledging that, because they excel in character development and arcs, or their themes are developed in a masterful way).
So I guess that worked out well, I'd say. But if you're not into it, if your mind is not wired that way, then holy shit it's a neverending slog - I totally get if you lose interest when you're reaching page 100 and you don't care about anything that happens.

I hope, if you do come back, that we can discuss what happens in the book! Maybe we'll both gain a new perspective on it :D

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I'm following the thread op. Keep us posted!

To people who sort of bounced off this series or are curious but hesitant about the investment. I think The Black Company is also fantastic and checks a lot of the same boxes even if scope and scale might change a bit in different areas. I haven't finished the whole series there but they are also somewhat self contained in smaller series too.

www.tor.com

This is great and makes me want to re-read it myself.

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
can't blame you! It's totally understandable if you find the pacing slow and it's not grabbing you - I guess I was "lucky" I had recently finished a reread of another doorstopper with a slow pace, Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. I would say its pacing is glacial, even, but I appreciated a lot of what Eco did in that book and I don't mind the slow movement of plot if there are other things that make the lack of movement worthwhile (for example, as I mentioned in my OP - The Wire and Mad Men. Both would be considered "slow" TV shows and I love them to bits while acknowledging that, because they excel in character development and arcs, or their themes are developed in a masterful way).
So I guess that worked out well, I'd say. But if you're not into it, if your mind is not wired that way, then holy shit it's a neverending slog - I totally get if you lose interest when you're reaching page 100 and you don't care about anything that happens.

I hope, if you do come back, that we can discuss what happens in the book! Maybe we'll both gain a new perspective on it :D

If you liked Eco, make sure you check out The Name of the Rose sometime! Tremendous stuff, and the audiobook is wonderfully textured too if that's your thing. If you want yet more after that, consider his contemporary, Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I read Love in the Time of Cholera by evening candlelight during a recent week-long blackout and it was one of my favorite reading experiences in a looooong time.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
I will say that it does start piecing itself together, you just need to be willing to go for the journey a bit. The world building is pretty amazing and feels very believable even with all the crazy magical stuff.

Took me till the 3rd book to really start following some of the broader world building stuff. Also I agree with other posters that the overall pay-off is kinda meh, but there are some character arcs that are 100% worth experiencing. Some of the coolest characters in fiction.

Anomander Rake is an amazing character and Erickson writes the scenes that he is in so well.

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
If you liked Eco, make sure you check out The Name of the Rose sometime!

yeah, I read that one after Foucault's Pendulum as a teenager and liked it *a lot*. You can clearly see some of the same things that interested Eco on FP, but the overall book -while still very "high brow" and filled with obscure references and terms- is much more approachable and digestible than FP. I hope I can reread that one soon :)

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Started the series a couple of years ago and finished the first two books. They got kind of heavy for me at that point, and I never continued. I'd love to revisit them some day, and I'd like to start from the beginning, but those books are quite long and I'm trying to do the 50 books challenge this year. Maybe next year for me.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Oh wow, I literally just got the first audio book a couple of days ago based on all the praise for the series. It's also my first time listening to an audiobook.

I started listening to it on the train but I was so tired I ended up sleeping through it. I need to go back and start again. I'd like to get engrossed in a fantasy series.

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Oh wow, I literally just got the first audio book a couple of days ago based on all the praise for the series. It's also my first time listening to an audiobook.

I started listening to it on the train but I was so tired I ended up sleeping through it. I need to go back and start again. I'd like to get engrossed in a fantasy series.

if you start again, feel free to post your impressions in this thread!

Jan 31, 2018
I hate this series. The seventh or eight book in the original ten was one of the worst, most obnoxious things I've ever had the misfortune of reading. Just page after page of rambling, nonsensical philosophical mumbo jumbo that went nowhere. First and only time I've skipped descriptive paragraphs and pages and went straight for the dialogue. Took me over a year to finish it and soured me on the whole series.

Shame because the second or third book (the one based on the trail of tears) and the fifth or sixth one (the economic manipulation one) were actually really enjoyable.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Probably my favorite series of books. They're so amazing. Garden of the Moon is definitely the least good though, with added confusion because the world is so unknown. It'll get much, much better.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate this series. The seventh or eight book in the original ten was one of the worst, most obnoxious things I've ever had the misfortune of reading. Just page after page of rambling, nonsensical philosophical mumbo jumbo that went nowhere. First and only time I've skipped descriptive paragraphs and pages and went straight for the dialogue. Took me over a year to finish it and soured me on the whole series.

Shame because the second or third book (the one based on the trail of tears) and the fifth or sixth one (the economic manipulation one) were actually really enjoyable.

I fell out of love with the series fairly hard, but the third book, Memorie of Ice I think you are referring to, is amazing. Lots of creativity in the series as well. A pity the book increasingly centres one of the most boring characters and shift perspectives too much for my liking.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Great series. Funny enough, I think GotM is probably the worst-written both in the series, so the quality shoots up pretty quickly if you like this one.

I remember that one. Yeah, it was rough.

But I am a veteran of Wheel of Time, the quality dip is nothing compared to the depths of Robert Jordan.

For what it is worth, the series does recover and ends pretty satisfactorily.

Liking the series is worth it if for no other reasons than re-reading Midnight Tides (Book 5). It is still one of the best works in modern fantasy.

I fell out of love with the series fairly hard, but the third book, Memorie of Ice I think you are referring to, is amazing. Lots of creativity in the series as well. A pity the book increasingly centres one of the most boring characters and shift perspectives too much for my liking.

You referring to Tavore? Because I can't really think of anyone centered on other than her.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great series. Funny enough, I think GotM is probably the worst-written both in the series, so the quality shoots up pretty quickly if you like this one.

I remember that one. Yeah, it was rough.

But I am a veteran of Wheel of Time, the quality dip is nothing compared to the depths of Robert Jordan.

For what it is worth, the series does recover and ends pretty satisfactorily.

Liking the series is worth it if for no other reasons than re-reading Midnight Tides (Book 5). It is still one of the best works in modern fantasy.

You referring to Tavore? Because I can't really think of anyone centered on other than her.

Karsa Orlong. Generic barbarian.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Good series and in my eyes a prime candidate to make a Dawn Of War type game out of it.
But holy shit, like you said, no hand holding and some obtuse shit which never gets resolved/described more in detail. So it's really not the easiest read.

But this series has some of the biggest convergence events where everything comes together and shit hits the fan.

But you really have to endure some lows through this series but like another poster said, nothing to bad as a Wheel of Time veteran :)

Last edited:

Fuzzery

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing series, but you need to really commit to it and pay attention or the last few books won't make sense. Need to reread it all some day.. when I have the time

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Read about 20 minutes of the audiobook today. Will keep pushing through and hopefully get an hour or so a day in. Should be finished in a few weeks.
Glad to hear it gets way better in 2nd book. I actually really like some of the concepts, and the magic battle near the beginning is fucking great. So I'll commit to finishing this one. Have 2 Audible credits waiting for me, too, so I can grab at least the next one.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
Went through every Malazan book last year, easily one of the best fantasy series I have read.

Anyone reading for the first time I suggest reading in chronological order starting with the first books of the Kharkanas trilogy (3rd hasn't been released) and the Path to Ascendancy books before starting on the main series. Both of the prequel series make the main series a lot easier to get into.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Your understanding of the world will take multiple books, as will your understanding of all the characters. I guarantee you by the end of the series you will feel completely differently about every single character than you do right now.

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
I am half way through 8th book (Toll the Hounds) and I can only tell you is too keep pushing. Things start to make a lot more sense around the 3rd book mark and the pay off is incredible and well worth the confusion. Once you walk the Chain of Dogs in book 2, you will be one of us.

Also Memories of Ice and Bonehunters are one of the best books in Fantasy. I am so much in love with this series.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you succeed where I have failed. I am thinking of giving the audiobook a try.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Don't worry about not understanding everything immediately, OP. You'll get there as you keep reading. I personally wouldn't look towards other rereads too much on your first readthrough, it's much more satisfying to make the connections and discoveries yourself. But it's all up to you if course, no wrong way to read. That said, having a list or glossary of names is never a bad idea.

It's always interesting to see how people feel about Gardens of the Moon. I agree that it's probably the roughest to get through, but I never had any issues with it. I loved it first time through, and aside from some stuff at the end I was never confused for too long. I hope you enjoy, OP.

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
Read about 20 minutes of the audiobook today. Will keep pushing through and hopefully get an hour or so a day in. Should be finished in a few weeks.
Glad to hear it gets way better in 2nd book. I actually really like some of the concepts, and the magic battle near the beginning is fucking great. So I'll commit to finishing this one. Have 2 Audible credits waiting for me, too, so I can grab at least the next one.
Just a heads up that the narrator changes after book 3. I'm currently half way through book 3 and dreading it because I love Ralph Lister, but the next narrator does a good job too apparently. Maybe someone who's listened further could chime in on this?

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up that the narrator changes after book 3. I'm currently half way through book 3 and dreading it because I love Ralph Lister, but the next narrator does a good job too apparently. Maybe someone who's listened further could chime in on this?
Always jarring. Not looking forward to TWOW for that reason, though I can't muster any anticipation for ASOIAF anyway.