MrKirov

Oct 2, 2019
Here is a place to a) talk about the Dreamcast in general, B) help me with all my questions and requests, and C) Follow my journey through replaying the console for the first time since around launch!

I'm all nostalgic and made this thread as for Christmas, my missus bought me a mint boxed Dreamcast, with all the original bags and pretty much unused.

Apparently some guy traded it in after it being unused in his attic forever- it even had all the foam covers for the controller ports! For some reason CEX sold it as "Boxed" instead of "mint" so it was cheaper than it should have been, and its been hidden away since May/June 2022.

In the run up to Christmas I bought an Arcade Stick, another boxed controller, a VMU or two and a rumble pack, and she said she would be buying me some games to get me started, and not to buy any - I knew about a couple that she let slip... however I had no clue what "getting me started" meant until I opened all these…!

MVC2
Project Justice: Rival Schools 2
Headhunter
Power stone
Power Stone 2
Fighting Vipers 2
Shenmue 1
Shenmue 2
Heavy Metal Geomatrix
Soul Calibur
Virtua Fighter 3TB (sealed!)
Tomb Raider Last Revelation (sealed again!!)
Tomb Raider Chronicles
Jet Set Radio
Resident Evil Code Veronica
House of the Dead 2
Blue Stinger
Grandia 2 (French on the back though?)
Skies of Arcadia
Zombie Revenge
Dynamite Cop
Virtua Tennis
Virtua Striker
Soul Reaver
Alone in the Dark
Silent Scope
Confidential Mission
Flea (Sealed)

I had a Dreamcast on launch in UK ready for Christmas, with Sonic Adventure, Sega Rally and Ready 2 Rumble. My mum bought me Blue Stinger, Soul Calibur and House of the Dead between launch and Christmas- so having most of them back is amazing nostalgia fuel!

I'm going to pick up those I haven't already got- but what else am I missing? I don't want a complete set, but one that fills most of the holes.

I sold my Dreamcast after about a year or two- pretty much after they announced they would be ending its life. Around 5 years later my pal handed me a bag with a pretty banged up console, and a bunch of games- but I never really played it and they also got sold off many moons later during a great purge. I always said I wanted to recollect after, and start from scratch myself, and seeing how much they've shot up in price, I might have rethought that at the time!

Notes:

- I don't have a CRT, though it's tempting to look for one- however I've ordered a HDMI adaptor for it (not the Pound one, the Kaico one) but that seems to only work with VGA compatible games? Are they supposed to be any good?

- I've ordered a cheap RGB scart to go alongside it, mileage my vary I assume? Im only using an older 1080p 32" TV for it.

- Been a long time since I had a Dreamcast- any tips or advice? Anything I should or shouldnt be doing for wear and tear etc?

- I need to buy an extender. These pads wires are SHORT

As part of this thread, I intend to chronicle my playing, my purchasing and my thoughts as I go. Come join the fun, and feel free to talk and join the nostalgia!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
Here is a place to a) talk about the Dreamcast in general, B) help me with all my questions and requests, and C) Follow my journey through replaying the console for the first time since around launch!

I'm all nostalgic and made this thread as for Christmas, my missus bought me a mint boxed Dreamcast, with all the original bags and pretty much unused.

Apparently some guy traded it in after it being unused in his attic forever- it even had all the foam covers for the controller ports! For some reason CEX sold it as "Boxed" instead of "mint" so it was cheaper than it should have been, and its been hidden away since May/June 2022.

In the run up to Christmas I bought an Arcade Stick, another boxed controller, a VMU or two and a rumble pack, and she said she would be buying me some games to get me started, and not to buy any - I knew about a couple that she let slip... however I had no clue what "getting me started" meant until I opened all these…!

MVC2
Project Justice: Rival Schools 2
Headhunter
Power stone
Shenmue 1 & 2
Heavy Metal Geomatrix
Soul Calibur
Virtua Fighter 3TB (sealed!)
Tomb Raider Last Revelation (sealed again!!)
Tomb Raider Chronicles
Jet Set Radio
Resident Evil Code Veronica
House of the Dead 2
Blue Stinger
Grandia 2 (French on the back though?)
Skies of Arcadia
Zombie Revenge
Dynamite Cop
Virtua Tennis
Virtua Striker
Soul Reaver
Alone in the Dark
Silent Scope
Confidential Mission
Power Stone 2
Fighting Vipers 2
Flea (Sealed)

I had a Dreamcast on launch in UK ready for Christmas, with Sonic Adventure, Sega Rally and Ready 2 Rumble. My mum bought me Blue Stinger, Soul Calibur and House of the Dead between launch and Christmas- so having most of them back is amazing nostalgia fuel!

I'm going to pick up those I haven't already got- but what else am I missing? I don't want a complete set, but one that fills most of the holes.

I sold my Dreamcast after about a year or two- pretty much after they announced they would be ending its life. Around 5 years later my pal handed me a bag with a pretty banged up console, and a bunch of games- but I never really played it and they also got sold off many moons later during a great purge. I always said I wanted to recollect after, and start from scratch myself, and seeing how much they've shot up in price, I might have rethought that at the time!

Notes:

- I don't have a CRT, though it's tempting to look for one- however I've ordered a HDMI adaptor for it (not the Pound one, the Kaico one) but that seems to only work with VGA compatible games? Are they supposed to be any good?

- I've ordered a cheap RGB scart to go alongside it, mileage my vary I assume? Im only using an older 1080p 32" TV for it.

- Been a long time since I had a Dreamcast- any tips or advice? Anything I should or shouldnt be doing for wear and tear etc?

- I need to buy an extender. These pads wires are SHORT

As part of this thread, I intend to chronicle my playing, my purchasing and my thoughts as I go. Come join the fun, and feel free to talk and join the nostalgia!
I believe a general rule is that a HDMI adapter for older consoles will never be as good as playing on a CRT.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd add Tech Romancer and Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, as possible additions to your collection - you've got a great collection so far.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Missing something??

n6Lj8dr.jpg

OP
OP

MrKirov

Oct 2, 2019
To start my chronicle;

Set it up with the missus for the first time last night, was great..!!

- The VGA/HDMI adaptor works great, picture quality is ace, and bonuses like getting 60hz modes in PAL games that didn't originally support it is worth it as an extra bonus.

- My second DC controller I bought, sadly the right trigger doesn't work :/

- Missus liked the controller, especially with the rumble pack and VMU in

- Missus loved the VMU screen for games

- Grandia 2 is fully English text and voice, regardless of being a French version!! Yay! Just need to replace the back art and manual one day.

We started with some Fighting Vipers 2, as she used to own the original on the Saturn. This was fun enough, but looked a little rougher that I imaged. Though the characters looked fun! The two player mode doesnt let you see character art when youre selecting, so it made it a little difficult who to pick.

We had a few games, and I couldnt understand how she was doing certain things (thats how I realised the right trigger was broken!) But then she told me of breaking each others clothes and armour? I think one of us managed to do it once... i'll have to figure that out.

We then moved to Dynamite Cop 2, it went down a treat, what a silly fun game!! Its pretty wacky. really stupid cutscenes and weapons and power ups. Looks a short game, apparently like an hour- but loads of different routes depending on where you choose to start, and whether you fail QTE's. Looks to be similar to something like HOTD2 in that way. Short, but highly replayable. We were having a blast in two player. And hit the spot as she is a SOR fan.

Of course then I chucked on MVC2 for a few rounds, if only to show her Jill's Level 3 super.

Next on the list for two player is HOTD2 and Zombie Revenge!

OP
OP

MrKirov

Oct 2, 2019
Following the session I wrote up, I also then got some time to myself, so reorganised the gaming shelves and made myself a new spot for the Dreamcast stuff!

After that, sat down with a couple more games- firstly, Silent Scope!

Now, I played this in the arcade, and on PS2- but the DC version seems to be much better than the PS2 one, but I cant really say why? Is the same game!

However, got the hang of the controls, and was having a blast, love the branching paths, the cut down or lengthened levels depending on routes- and absolutely love that you can kill the bosses in one hit with a headshot! Absolutely love the dodgy jazz music with the extra life when you find a sexy lady in your scope! This game is very hard, and the time limit is tough- but god its so much fun, spent about an hour on it before moving on. As soon as I figured out not to go for headshots on everyone, and that shooting them in the foot kills them, it got easier. Will be playing more!

Secondly I moved onto Power Stone.

I had this when I was a kid, but didnt put a lot of time into it. Back in the later days of Dreamcast when you could pick up pre owned games from Gamestation for £4.99, id go into town with my pocket money and pick up a new game -this was one of the ones I got. Incidentally I remember picking up NFL Blitz, Shadow Man and NBA showtime for the same price!

Anyway, this game is a blast! So much fun, and a lot more mechanics I didnt realise when I played when I was younger. Multiple supers, trying to get moves out in enough time to still launch a super, choosing to pick up and throw, or push environmental stuff which I didnt realise you could do either. When the third stone drops and its a mad dash, its just crazy fun. I havent got the mechanics down yet, I seem to roll around alot when im knocked down, and not sure if theres a block button or anyway to dodge other then run about like a loon- but i'll certainly go back to this!

Bright, beautiful colours. Bug chunky characters, great art design. I understand why this is so well loved. HOWEVER the final boss "Vargas" can feck off. Back to the good old days of hard bosses... takes double damage, does double damage, and if he gets the three stones you may as well restart with the damage he does..! 45 mins it took me to finish, and about 30 mins of that was just him haha!

Not sure what i'll be picking up next..!

Jul 1, 2020
Absolutely but grab some friends if you do want to play it since it's a lot more fun that way. You can play via splitscreen locally if you have the GameCube version. If you have a DreamPi setup it's pretty easy to play it online with private servers that may be able to crossplay with PC.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
I believe a general rule is that a HDMI adapter for older consoles will never be as good as playing on a CRT.
While generally true, the Dreamcast outputs a gorgeous digital signal that still looks just fine on a modern TV so long as the scaler isn't trash.
With a HDMI mod, it looks even better. I believe John with Digital Foundry did an excellent video on the subject.

Jul 27, 2020
I JUST changed out my Dreamcast battery, had to desolder the old and add the battery holder and install the CR2032 adapter, a resistor soldered to another resistor (yo dawg..). Nice to 'skip the time and Play, then reset, then the game' now!

TIM E FOR SOME CRAAAAAAAAYYYYYZYYYYYY TAXI!!

Oh yeah the Rumble pak on this thing is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Way ahead for it's time, almost reminds me of Switch's HD rumble.

aladashdin

Jan 15, 2020
Congrats on returning to the best console of its generation, murdered too soon by the evil Sony corporation and its devil spawn the PS2. (I kid, I kid, PS2 gets major love from me.)

Be aware that you could go hunting for 2 different types of CRTs (leaving aside very expensive exceptions like PVMs):

1. CRTs capable of 480p (generally computer monitors): these will be for VGA and you'll get progressive output. Absolute chef's kiss for Dreamcast.

2. CRTs that do 480i: pretty much all normal TVs from that time. Not as gorgeous but universal and usable with all the other retro consoles.

I mention computer monitors and 480p bc it's probably what I would try to get for a Dreamcast but there's no right answer. Just throwing the info out here.

Edit: sorry, perhaps convert my numbers into PAL equivalents in your head

Last edited:

kdoll08

Oct 25, 2017
MrKirov you mentioned that you bought a scart cable. I know it can be expensive but look into the Retrotink 5x. It has a scart hook up and can upscale the 480p signal up to 1440p. If you have a 1440p monitor or one of the LG C lines of tv's the games actually look better than they did on old TV's and monitors. I love mine and it works with other older systems as well with modern TV's. Not sure how much it would be where you are but it was $300 in the U.S.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
find a cheap 4:3 VGA monitor, you might even have one laying around the house. Seriously with the VGA box this thing absolutely smokes on those screens. I've had mine hooked up to my crappy dell monitor from college that was collecting dust and it looks amazing on it

OP
OP

MrKirov

Oct 2, 2019
Congrats on returning to the best console of its generation, murdered too soon by the evil Sony corporation and its devil spawn the PS2. (I kid, I kid, PS2 gets major love from me.)

Be aware that you could go hunting for 2 different types of CRTs (leaving aside very expensive exceptions like PVMs):

1. CRTs capable of 480p (generally computer monitors): these will be for VGA and you'll get progressive output. Absolute chef's kiss for Dreamcast.

2. CRTs that do 480i: pretty much all normal TVs from that time. Not as gorgeous but universal and usable with all the other retro consoles.

I mention computer monitors and 480p bc it's probably what I would try to get for a Dreamcast but there's no right answer. Just throwing the info out here.

Edit: sorry, perhaps convert my numbers into PAL equivalents in your head

Yup, I'm on the lookout. Problem is I don't want a piddly 14', so I'm trying to look for 25-28', at least then they're more manageable to get in the car and up the stairs without being 42' behemoths!

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Japanese imports are crazy easy to play on a Dreamcast. If you have any interest in the Gundam Versus series of fighting games, the original arcade game had a Dreamcast port and is a fun step back in time to see how things started.

OP
OP

MrKirov

Oct 2, 2019
MrKirov you mentioned that you bought a scart cable. I know it can be expensive but look into the Retrotink 5x. It has a scart hook up and can upscale the 480p signal up to 1440p. If you have a 1440p monitor or one of the LG C lines of tv's the games actually look better than they did on old TV's and monitors. I love mine and it works with other older systems as well with modern TV's. Not sure how much it would be where you are but it was $300 in the U.S.

Oooo, I have an LG CX, but never thought of connecting it to the 55', naturally assumed it would look pants, and didn't think about trying the HDMI adaptor on it, instead choosing the older 32 upstairs.

I'll Definately think about it after spending a bit of time with it. Would this be different to the HDMI mod you can get? Im assuming that doesn't upscale?

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
I was actually looking into Dreamcast modding last week because I noticed that they released (releasing? not sure on its actual date) a new DCDigital revision. But I also assume this might not be that viable because of how involved the mod is, and it costs a pretty penny. :<

that's my only contribution!

OP
OP

MrKirov

Oct 2, 2019
So what big hitters/hidden gems/cheap easy wins am I missing folks?

Im eyeing up Sonic Adventure 1, and Crazy Taxi currently. Also Ready 2 Rumble and Sega Rally. I also want to pick up Resident Evil 2, 3 and Dino Crisis if I see them reasonably priced.

I've had a few chances but with so many games I'm getting through now, I haven't pulled the w trigger just yet

kdoll08

Oct 25, 2017
Oooo, I have an LG CX, but never thought of connecting it to the 55', naturally assumed it would look pants, and didn't think about trying the HDMI adaptor on it, instead choosing the older 32 upstairs.

I'll Definately think about it after spending a bit of time with it. Would this be different to the HDMI mod you can get? Im assuming that doesn't upscale?
In some ways it is better than the HDMI because that is only 1080p. Since the dreamcast did a 480p signal the retrotink perfectly 3x the upscale to 1440p which the CX supports as a resolution. I have mine on a 55" C1 and I was shocked at how good it looked. I used to have mine on a VGA monitor back in the day as well so I was used to the nicer picture already.

Edit: actually looking at the new DC Digital mentioned above that goes to 1440p as well. Not sure how well it works compared to Retrotink 5x though and you get the ability to do more than just Dreamcast with the retrotink.

aladashdin

Jan 15, 2020
Yup, I'm on the lookout. Problem is I don't want a piddly 14', so I'm trying to look for 25-28', at least then they're more manageable to get in the car and up the stairs without being 42' behemoths!

I think 25-28" is very much the sweet spot for CRT size so you can see well from a reasonable distance but don't need to check that your house/flat was built properly according to code before slamming it down.

Subbing and looking forward to your impressions of the games!! That list is something 😍

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
So what big hitters/hidden gems/cheap easy wins am I missing folks?

Im eyeing up Sonic Adventure 1, and Crazy Taxi currently. Also Ready 2 Rumble and Sega Rally. I also want to pick up Resident Evil 2, 3 and Dino Crisis if I see them reasonably priced.

I've had a few chances but with so many games I'm getting through now, I haven't pulled the w trigger just yet

Crazy Taxi has all the original music, so definitely worth picking up.

If you missed my Gundam comment earlier in the thread, the original arcade port of Gundam: Federation vs Zeon is on the Dreamcast and it's crazy to go back and see where the Extreme Versus series came from.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
I have a Dreamcast since 1 year but no games. Retro gaming got a bit expensive. But some suggestions for pal?

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Toy Commander.

I remember playing this as a kid. Fun game that brings back loads of Dreamcast memories.

toy-commander-dreamcast-los-10-mejores-juegos-dreamcast-sega-retro-blog-videojuegos-borntoplay.jpg

wamoss

Aug 11, 2022
It's pretty expensive at this point, but Illbleed is one I'd recommend. Good campy horror game with a different twist on the gameplay.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Fun read! I still have my DC and occasionally play it... that long beep and logo animation/sound fill me with almost as much nostalgia as the PS1 boot-up sequence.

LwC8gK5.jpg

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I too was a Dreamcast UK launch owner.

Favourites include the Sonic Adventure games, Virtua Fighter 3 and House of the Dead 2. Get Virtua Tennis, that's a great one.

One day we'll all play Sakura Wars 3 and 4.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Great thread.

I need to dig out one of my Dreamcasts and play some Samba de Amigo again! I'm still salty that they only re-released it on Wii with awful controls instead of PS3 that could have had controls just like the arcade/DC.

PAL DC, US keyboard and controller, Japanese games (except for a US copy of HotD2). Nothing wrong with it, just wanted to point it out.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
I love this. My Dreamcast has been hooked up consistently since 9/9/99.

One suggestion: Chu Chu Rocket is my favorite puzzle game ever. You and the missus will have tons of fun with it, guaranteed.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Are there community servers for PSO? BlueBurst or is that only pc? All about getting newer shit running on OG hardware these days.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 1 for the PS1 plus a DC Bleemcast disc.

Yep, played through the whole game like that on my Dreamcast. It looked glorious and ran in 480p on my 28" tv with a VGA input. Happy days.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
Are there community servers for PSO? BlueBurst or is that only pc? All about getting newer shit running on OG hardware these days.

Haven't looked in a while but I know there were servers that still worked with the DC and GC versions a few years back! Didn't try my dreamcast b/c I don't havea BBA but playing online with the GC was no problem

OP
OP

MrKirov

Oct 2, 2019
So I've written a list of my most wanted, from cheapest to most expensive.

I think this would essentially make it a "complete" collection for me- give or take any other hidden gems that I want/find out about. Thoughts?

Anything obvious missing?

Sonic Adventure
Ready to rumble
Ready 2 Rumble 2
Royal rumble
Crazy Taxi
Sega Rally 2
Space Channel 5
Dino Crisis
Resi 2
Resi 3
MVC 1
Evolution
3rd Strike
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Capcom vs SNK
Timestalkers
Sonic Adventure 2
Maken X
Cannon Spike (never!)

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I think this would essentially make it a "complete" collection for me- give or take any other hidden gems that I want/find out about. Thoughts?

Sonic Adventure
Ready to rumble
Ready 2 Rumble 2
Royal rumble
Crazy Taxi
Sega Rally 2
Space Channel 5
Dino Crisis
Resi 2
Resi 3
MVC 1
Evolution
3rd Strike
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Capcom vs SNK
Timestalkers
Sonic Adventure 2
Maken X
Cannon Spike (never!)
Jet Set Radio
Virtua Fighter 3
Virtua Tennis

But they're in your original post.

Maybe Rayman 2 and Psychic Force 2012?

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK

Sonic Adventure
Ready to rumble
Ready 2 Rumble 2
Royal rumble
Crazy Taxi
Sega Rally 2
Space Channel 5
Dino Crisis
Resi 2
Resi 3
MVC 1
Evolution
3rd Strike
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Capcom vs SNK
Timestalkers
Sonic Adventure 2
Maken X
Cannon Spike (never!)

You need Space Channel 5 Part 2, quite an improvement over the first.

And Rez, that's a classic.