Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yajirobe of course
Yajirobe-from-Dragon-Ball-Z.jpeg

Kamen Rider Beast, dude came in underpowered and ended up just being mayo jokes until the end when his curse saved the day when the main character was shit out of luck
E9HZyVVXEAAfM9G.jpg:large

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kuriboh...though maybe subverted as it's first appearance proved it wss useful

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Now I'm trying to think of times when Neelix saved the day. I think it has happened, but he's usually just Poochie.

pez2k

Apr 21, 2018
Johnny Sasaki from Metal Gear Solid. Three and a half games of toilet jokes, then Kojima decided he was actually a cool hero guy who happened to be allergic to nanomachines or whatever, and he marries the main character's ex-girlfriend. Absolutely the apex of MGS, and it was all downhill after that.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Teaser_Bild_format21.jpeg

who couldve imagined the comic relief being so important

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Rom in DS9. He came up with the self replicating minefield that saved the alpha quadrant and later reformed Ferengi society and started the process of joining the Federation. It's insane if you think back to his early appearances.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I didnt read much of it but that Gold Balls guy seems like he became pretty important in X Men comics considering he is…Gold Balls.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Rom in DS9. He came up with the self replicating minefield that saved the alpha quadrant and later reformed Ferengi society and started the process of joining the Federation. It's insane if you think back to his early appearances.
Yeah, Quark and Garak could be in the running going by their early appearence.
I didnt read much of it but that Gold Balls guy seems like he became pretty important in X Men comics considering he is…Gold Balls.
That is a good one, i applaud your deep cut

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okuyasu from JoJo Part 4 is presented as a comic relief character but his stand is actually really powerful, and comes in handy at a few crucial moments in the plot.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
alan_wake_haastattelu_5-e1323216715971.jpg

Barry Wheeler from Alan Wake. We should all be so lucky to have an agent/friend as good as Barry.

Excellent pick. Plus, he's a union man.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Merry and Pippin, at least in the films, are definitely established as comic relief, complete with hair-standing-up sooty-face after an explosive backfiring gag. Closest LOTR comes to Home Alone. They're slowly phased into being characters with actual pathos, and ultimately come in the clutch a few times, probably most critically when Pippin rallies the ents to take down Isengard.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Literally the Aliens in Toy Story 3, an amazing (IMHO) payoff to the two previous movies (their fascination with The Claw + their unending gratitude to Mr. Potato Head)

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
latest

If it wasn't for him, Goku wouldn't have enough Spirit Bomb energy to beat Buu.

Also was the one who threw #16's head to Gohan to spur on the transformation. Cause nothing Cell and his Jrs were doing were cutting it and I have no doubt #16 knew he was going to get crushed.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This is like, all of One Piece. You'll have characters who seems like a punchline come back to save everyone.

Dec 30, 2020
latest

Chuta Ohsugi from Kamen Rider Fourze. Starts off as this huge cowardly joke, ends up becoming the team's official rep, and when the Orion Zodiart rampaged through the moon base, Chuta LEAPT ONTO ITS BACK screaming, "get the hell away from my students."

Also from Kamen Rider Gaim, Oren Pierre Alfonse, aka Kamen Rider Bravo.

View: https://youtu.be/hyX27azxuMU?si=BY_VGl8v7Wwen9hX

I think the first canonically gay rider and initially played for laughs, turned out to be insanely tough in the clutch, able to resist Helheim fruit on sheer willpower, beat the crap out of the main cast, saved a bunch of civilians by THROWING the suika mech at the enemies...

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
latest

If it wasn't for him, Goku wouldn't have enough Spirit Bomb energy to beat Buu.

Also was the one who threw #16's head to Gohan to spur on the transformation. Cause nothing Cell and his Jrs were doing were cutting it and I have no doubt #16 knew he was going to get crushed.

Also stopped the initial form of Buu and may well have avoided all the subsequent issues if a few jerks hadn't decided to shoot a puppy.

Hercule/Satan genuinely outdid most of the lesser Z Warriors.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Ziggy from Power Rangers RPM

OIP.vq6g6IsMIlMm0xS2MoE7VAAAAA

While there have been many rangers that focused more on comedy relief, Ziggy is the biggest joke ranger in the entire series. He's not particularly strong or skilled, and wasn't even good enough to be a grunt in the mob.

Where he outshines everyone is that he has a big heart, he saved an orphanage by donating the mobs medical supplies they were hoarding, got exiled from the last city in the world and came back.

Then in a matter of life and death he permanently bonds with the Green RPM morpher to prevent it from falling into enemy hands, and proceeds to be the funniest ranger ever while melting the heart of the stone cold Dr. K.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
014276_1410x793_638056124168920275.jpg

Perrito from Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.

This oblivious little chihuahua(?) was the low-key hero of the whole thing.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I was going to say Chiu from Dragon Quest Dai because he fits that sort of "mostly a joke but had a shining moment here and there"

latest

But then I'm seeing characters like Usopp, Satan, and Reigen count, so imagine my disappointment that no one posts the character those losers are based on

The GOAT Popp
latest

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Can't believe no one mentioned the actual One Piece GOAT

latest

Bro has consistently come in clutch whenever he shows up.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Yajirobe wasn't a joke character at that point. He was literally introduced as a match for Goku with a similar background, just less fight obsessed and he only became a "joke" after the Saiyan saga when he stopped being used in the main cast.