Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
CornyRealisticChick-size_restricted.gif

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Congrats, I wish there were a lot more rated-R movies these days.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The R rating part of it is kind of meaningless since this is a somewhat tame movie as far as violence goes and didn't really get an equivalent 18+ rating in most/any other major market.

Still an achievement that this movie, of all things, managed to hit one billion. I still don't get it honestly.

Translation: I gotta figure out what other Scorsese movies I can ape.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm happy for the movie, because I think it's great, but also for the genre of superhero movies. When movies like this do well it gives executives evidence that they don't have to do the safe, generic blockbuster that MCU mostly does (and I still thoroughly enjoy those!). We can have R-rated violent, vulgar comedies like Deadpool and violent, neowestern movies like Logan. It opens up the ability for writers and directors to have interesting and diverse interpretations of characters and more faithful adaptations of stories or heroes/villains. Plus having a thoughtful and thought provoking superhero movie is pretty neat.

svacina

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for the movie, because I think it's great, but also for the genre of superhero movies. When movies like this do well it gives executives evidence that they don't have to do the safe, generic blockbuster that MCU mostly does (and I still thoroughly enjoy those!). We can have R-rated violent, vulgar comedies like Deadpool and violent, neowestern movies like Logan. It opens up the ability for writers and directors to have interesting and diverse interpretations of characters and more faithful adaptations of stories or heroes/villains. Plus having a thoughtful and thought provoking superhero movie is pretty neat.
The ability of Hollywood execs to take the worst lesson from any situation is well documented.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because 1 billion is an accomplishment that has been cheapened. To see a movie that doesn't cater to that same crowd and hit that mark with a totally different formula is nothing short of amazing.

But it does cater to the same crowd.....it's about the Joker. The same people who saw infinity war are the same people who brought joker to a billion.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Which other comic book character movie that hit 1 billion, is also rated R and doesn't have super... something.

I don't know, but I'm not talking about the money. You said this doesn't cater to the same crowd that is showing up to see stuff like the MCU, but I think that's a pretty ridiculous thing to say. Obviously people who are showing up to see popular comic book characters on screen are going to be interested in seeing a movie about one of the most popular characters in comics.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Unreal run. Absolutely no one thought it would touch Dark Knight's box office.

Bigger Joker movie ever!

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MOTY for sure.

Deserves all the Oscars.

And seeing all the naysayers flailing about screaming "I am not owned, I am not owned!" just increases the entertainment value we have gotten from this historic cape kino.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, I guess. Joaquin Phoenix deserves an Oscar for this movie (and I suspect he'll get one) but the film itself is pretty tame outside of his performance. I don't get the controversy? There's a message about class and society but it's not explored at all. Reminds me almost of Nolan's 3rd Batman movie which brings up class and... doesn't explore it in any meaningful way.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is rated R and has no super powers, or even about a superhero. Joker is nothing like like other movies based on comic book characters that have hit 1 billion. Did it even have CGI?
Well... pretty much every movie these days have CG in them for set extensions, cleanup of extraneous objects, etc that are invisible, Even the ones that look like straight forward dramas.

But I get what you mean.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Well deserved, it's a great movie & i can't hate a studio for releasing an R rated movie that's stand alone, even if it uses the Joker to help it sell, still a bit sour on Philips dog whistling about "leftist" critics, he knew what he was doing, overall the marketing for this movie was fucking something else & i wonder how much it helped get that billion.

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know, but I'm not talking about the money. You said this doesn't cater to the same crowd that is showing up to see stuff like the MCU, but I think that's a pretty ridiculous thing to say. Obviously people who are showing up to see popular comic book characters on screen are going to be interested in seeing a movie about one of the most popular characters in comics.
Perhaps adults, but children are not watching this movie. Which makes this even more impressive. Unlike other comic book movies that reach a billion, this one is rated R.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
It is rated R and has no super powers, or even about a superhero. Joker is nothing like like other movies based on comic book characters that have hit 1 billion. Did it even have CGI?
It has cgi, it definitely has cgi, most high budget movies these days have it. CGI doesn't have to be flashy effects, it can also be very subtle and not obvious.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Why you gotta do this?

Can't wait we just be happy without all this comparison bullshit?

Because Disney has ruined cinema by dooming every movie that's not safe, bland, watered down, neutered PG-13 China-friendly pap.

For the first time, an R-rated filmed aimed at adults crossed a billion, without needing to kiss China's ring. That's a very welcome thing and should hopefully mean good things for cinema.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Because Disney has ruined cinema by dooming every movie that's not safe, bland, watered down, neutered PG-13 China-friendly pap.

For the first time, an R-rated filmed aimed at adults crossed a billion, without needing to kiss China's ring. That's a very welcome thing and should hopefully mean good things for cinema.

Judging by your post it looks like you were lucky your parents took you to see it.

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty wild. Don't care how many people say the Joker is DC's biggest villain and this BO return was expected. It wasn't. Movie is a genuine phenomenon.

And I didn't even like it tbh

Aine

May 27, 2019
Can't wait to go back to the good ol' days of comic book movies needing to be cheaply nihilistic, overly realistic affairs of folks in black leather costumes in order to be taken seriously.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait to go back to the good ol' days of comic book movies needing to be cheaply nihilistic, overly realistic affairs of folks in black leather costumes in order to be taken seriously.
Sarcasm or not, why not both?

Unlike the early 2000s, we now have examples of comic faithful superhero blockbusters AND risky edgy character studies succeeding in strides and showing that there exists a market for both.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everything surrounding this "good movie with flaws" is an embarrassment.

Congrats to hitting a billion.