• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I hope there's more to it than Joker imagining him and Harley starring in a musical while he's locked in Arkham because that premise sounds pretty lame

It seems more like the Joker is put on trial for his actions which causes pandemonium in the city as he has a legion of supporters. And so we're going tog et his trial along with questions about why he did what he did interspersed with his own internal musical rendition to explain his thoughts and actions.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Looks better than I expected, just wish Margot Robbie was in this as Harley instead.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Looks better than I expected, just wish Margot Robbie was in this as Harley instead.

This takes place well before there is a Batman, Bruce Wayne was a child in the first Joker. It would be too confusing to use Suicide Squad Harley here and have people like the ones on Era going crazy with multiverse theories lol

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of Margot's Robbie in this just saddens me, no thanks

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to be mean, but this is a terrible idea. Completely different tone, world, and character.

This Joker isn't the one that fights battle. In my mind, this is just one that inspired him years later. Cause you see all the people dressing like him. Same could be true for Harley.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any good new Batman stuff for little kids? Or is it all for adults now?

I guess there's lots of older stuff I could show my son.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I liked the shot with the lipstick on the window, but otherwise this trailer didn't do much for me.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
That shot of Gaga putting her fingers to her head.
God, could Phillips be more corny...
She's just doing her Travis Bickle impersonation.
taxi-driver-travis-bickle-900x0-c-default.jpg

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
No amount of Oscar nominations in the world can outweigh the fact that I saw the movie with my own two eyes and thought it was terrible.

Also it's 69 on Rotten Tomatoes, 59 on Metacritic, B+ cinema score. Cultural concensus on Joker seemed to have it as a middling, shallow movie riding on controversy to cash in at the box office.
There isn't a cultural consensus on it, people have different opinions on it.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
Joker is one of the greatest films ever created and I'll die on that hill.
It's the third time the same movie has been made.

Taxi Driver, King of Comedy, Joker

Its a well made movie with great acting but wouldn't put it up there with the other two because it's so derivative.

I don't really get it. In the first movie he's like an awkward social recluse that would totally bomb on stage when he tried doing comedy. Now he's like a musical stage performer?
He's delusional. And a folie à deux is a shared delusion.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Loved the trailer. We were a little confused about Harley and how she'll fit into the official back story for the character but maybe she won't at all.

ImBatman

May 23, 2022
It's the third time the same movie has been made.

Taxi Driver, King of Comedy, Joker

Its a well made movie with great acting but wouldn't put it up there with the other two because it's so derivative.

People say this so I went back and watched Taxi and KOC, and while Joker does take inspiration from both, these films are far from the same. One is about a deranged lunatic who hates to see black pimps on the street so goes on a murder spree, one is about a lunatic who fails at comedy and kidnaps his idol, and one is about a lunatic that is tired of depression/being bullied so he finds joy in killing the people who did him dirty and becomes a sociopath. Taking inspiration from ≠ The same movie.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
People say this so I went back and watched Taxi and KOC, and while Joker does take inspiration from both, these films are far from the same. One is about a deranged lunatic who hates to see black pimps on the street so goes on a murder spree, one is about a lunatic who fails at comedy and kidnaps his idol, and one is about a lunatic that is tired of depression/being bullied so he finds joy in killing the people who did him dirty and becomes a sociopath. Taking inspiration from ≠ The same movie.
They all have the same beats. They all share a common theme of alienation leading to violence in an aesthetically 70s new york. I enjoyed it but I don't know how it radically changes the formula that I'd put it above the others to be "one of the best of all time".

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Gaga looks beautiful.
No idea how this movie is going to work, though.

ImBatman

May 23, 2022
They all have the same beats. They all share a common theme of alienation leading to violence in an aesthetically 70s new york. I enjoyed it but I don't know how it radically changes the formula that I'd put it above the others to be "one of the best of all time".
I wouldn't say alienation lead to Travis' murder spree it was more his hatred/despise for a certain group of people. It doesn't radically change the formula but it doesn't have to either, Phoenix's performance is one of the best on film, the score is brilliant, the cinematography is excellent and the ending scene with De Niro is amazing imo, the plot falls off at times but I thought it was just damn good saw it multiple times. It's a really divisive film, critics didn't like it as much but the public praised it, I mean winning golden lion at Venice and getting 11 Oscar nominations is no small feat not to mention it's box office record.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
I wouldn't say alienation lead to Travis' murder spree it was more his hatred/despise for a certain group of people. It doesn't radically change the formula but it doesn't have to either, Phoenix's performance is one of the best on film, the score is brilliant, the cinematography is excellent and the ending scene with De Niro is amazing imo, the plot falls off at times but I thought it was just damn good saw it multiple times. It's a really divisive film, critics didn't like it as much but the public praised it, I mean winning golden lion at Venice and getting 11 Oscar nominations is no small feat not to mention it's box office record.
I think it was a great movie, just not one of best of all time.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Looks nice but not sure whatever it has to say will justify the good imagery.

And I swear if that last scene is the last scene in the film it will have gone from riffing on Paul Schrader to riffing on Paul Schraders favourite thing to riff on.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Such a waste of Phoenix's talent. I hate when movies think they're way smarter than they actually are.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah they won Best actor and Best original score. Doesn't really goes against anything I said though.

It won multple academy awards, was nominated for even more including best picture and it made over 1 billion dollars at the box office. How is that even remotely close to a waste of anyones talent? You not personally liking it has 0 relevance in this equation.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The first movie was interesting with a great performance by Phoenix but probably not a movie I'll ever want to watch again. The trailer is phenomenal visually so if its just that again sign me up.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Such a waste of Phoenix's talent. I hate when movies think they're way smarter than they actually are.

He was paid to do a challenging performance and got an Oscar for it, even carried it to earning a billion dollars. It wasn't a waste of his time, if it was he wouldn't have signed up for doing that physically grueling role for himself again.

browinie

Oct 26, 2017
You can also expect the director to properly explore and critique the themes he put in his movie though, it's not mutually exclusive.
The entire narrative of Joker is contingent on its themes moving the plot. It's a well-made character study, that cannot be achieved without Arthur's own introspection. Not sure what you're on about to be honest.

Rod

Oct 25, 2017
First movie also won the Venice Golden Lion. Regardless of our personal opinions and takes (needless to say, but everyone is allowed and entitled to dislike, strongly dislike and even hate if so wish. You do you), that is a hella mad feat on it's own.

No matter what or how far from source, it's still a comic book character production in one of the highest prestige festivals. Managing to win it is impressive by itself.

Dec 16, 2017

What made the first movie think it was smart? Was it the strong cinematography, score and acting? Or was it the fact that the whole film closely focused on the theme that societal neglect of the mentally unwell coupled with making them a source of mockery will lead to violence.