jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Also the biggest opener for an R-rated drama.

I don't know how to feel about that.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Excited to see this film. After the trash comic book movies like Infinity war and Aquaman I am hoping this will at least have some redeeming qualities.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure why people are quoting this as if it's anything remotely controversial (okay, maybe the derailing is annoying). I like the MCU but it's obviously focused action popcorn flicks as opposed something like this, and it would be great to see one or two films from them deviate from the usual tone more than usual. At least it isn't the usual "mArVeL iS tRaSH" shitpost you see dredging up these superhero threads.

Anyways, congrats to the Joker! I hope this auteur one-off approach is something DC sticks with instead of being a knockoff MCU directed by edgy music video man.
Nah, it's revisionist snobbery to dismiss Marvel movies as popcorn flicks just because they have a witty gloss. Marvel movies connect with people because they always have a relatable and sympathetic core in addition to providing feel-good entertainment.

The MCU proves that enjoyable mainstream films can tackle heavy themes without the forced bleakness of most of DC's efforts.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
That sounds like a popcorn flick tbf
Popcorn flick implies a light, throwaway experience that panders to a general audience and doesn't dig into the serious side of life. In spite of what Marvel critics like to claim, that is not the MCU. Marvel movies get the human element right, even when the characters are talking raccoons or murderous purple giants.

Last edited:

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Amazing, I can't wait to see it today.
tumblr_pwyjqfmMeP1u7un4fo6_500.gif

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
So more villain origin films that plays out more as a character study are coming?

If so, I'd love an R-rated Carnage origin story

So more villain origin films that plays out more as a character study are coming?

I'm not sure if there's really that many villains out there that could get the kind of prestige backing as the Joker could. Two-Face is the one that immediately comes to mind, since he's a grounded villain that has the kind of backstory to justify a feature length film, but I feel like that when you start moving past that, the villains from both DC and Marvel get a little too fantastical to keep the budget down enough to make an investment into something more R-rated workable. Not that I think that every villain should get an R-rated treatment, as I don't think it would suit the likes of, say, Mr. Freeze, but PG-13 character studies are a rare bird outside of indies.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Popcorn flick implies a light, throwaway experience that panders to a general audience and doesn't dig into the serious side of life. In spite of what Marvel critics like to claim, that is not the MCU.

That's exactly the MCU lmao. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing, but they are popcorn flicks. Same as Fast and Furious, Jurassic World, etc.

Anyway, congrats to Phillips, Phoenix, and the rest of the Joker cast and crew. Amazing results. Film is phenomenal, easily my favourite of the year.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
All that free marketing worked , going to see the movie again with some friends later and I'm just as excited Phoenix is so good.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The Media Narrative about how dangerous this movie would be might have helped this in the end. Meanwhile WB's like:

giphy.gif

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Plan on seeing it again soon. Not to jump on the Marvel hate bandwagon, but it was really a breath of fresh air after endless MCU films that really all felt the same. They were great films, but they're a bit stale at this point.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully WB green lights more projects like this. I'm surprised we haven't already heard about other projects.

Red Son with Ben Affleck would be awesome

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I think it's themes about treating people well and not overlooking the downtrodden really shown through despite it being dressed up in a dark and depressing way

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

Let's be real folks. Batman related material sells the most for DC (Carnage doesn't have similar clout for Marvel) and we're going to get Mr. Freeze next out of anyone, though I'm holding out hope for the definitive take on Clayface. (now that has potential to take all the Oscars)

Weren't old movies in theatres for a lot longer than they are now? How's that a fair comparison if going solely by the number of tickets sold?
Because that stat doesn't matter for box office openings.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Fully deserved. Amazing movie. Saw it twice back to back yesterday.
tenor.gif

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Weren't old movies in theatres for a lot longer than they are now? How's that a fair comparison if going solely by the number of tickets sold?
They were and even when movies started coming out on VHS, people sometimes had to wait almost a year at times for it to come out in home media.
Now the waiting time for home releases is between 12 to 16 weeks.
Things are a lot different now so those type of comparisons don't make much sense.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic cinema 🎥

Audiences also seems to mostly have liked it.

More serious R rated comic book movies pls

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cinema tickets were selling fast yesterday when we went to see it. Movie got people clapping at the end........in my eyes outside of the dark knight, this is probably dc's best live action film......well deserved

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Well deserved. Hope we get more comic book movies like this instead of the usual people in costumes punching each other with lots of CGI.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm a fan of anything that elevates the genre

You fanboys can keep your loser ass joker ass mindsets. Real comicbook movie fans eating.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Nah, it's revisionist snobbery to dismiss Marvel movies as popcorn flicks just because they have a witty gloss. Marvel movies connect with people because they always have a relatable and sympathetic core in addition to providing feel-good entertainment.

The MCU proves that enjoyable mainstream films can tackle heavy themes without the forced bleakness of most of DC's efforts.
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to think I'm above cinema snobbery that labels popcorn flicks as worthless mainstream fast food (it's hilarious to say that in a nerd forum where like 90 percent of the things discussed ARE mainstream popcorn entertainment like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Sony's Spiderman, etc.). I just struggle to see what Marvel movies tackle aside from the obvious hero's journey/struggle. Aside from Black Panther, I don't remember them tacklimg any heavy handed societal issues and they always fit with the action movie mold in some way or another (yes there are background details that can make for interesting readings here and there, but they never blatantly make the movie about that). And yes, Marvel does absolutely get the human element right, but I like to think that's less their strength and more basic character-driven movie competency (which BvS and Suicide Squad aren't).

They don't have to make a Joker, btw, it's just that we're 20+ movies in, and I'd love to see them diversify their strengths in some way or another. Thor Ragnarok is as shallow and quirky as it gets, but that movie is soo wildly different from the usual MCU stuff and it's become one of my favorite superhero movies, period.

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is very subjective but for those that saw the movie would you say Phoenix performance as the Joker is on par or even surpass Ledger's joker?

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Good. It was a great movie.

I know this is very subjective but for those that saw the movie would you say Phoenix performance as the Joker is on par or even surpass Ledger's joker?

I'm actually on the fence about that. Ledger was the Joker for more time in his film and was amazing. However....
Phoenix was not the actual Joker character for very long in the film. But when he was there, hell yes he was better than Ledger's Joker. So it kind of depends on whether you want quantity over quality

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
God damn this site is insufferable about Marvel and DC. Needs a staff post saying "this is a [MEGACORP A] thread, not a [MEGACORP B] thread" which would curb some of the absolute fanboy nonsense that always pollutes discourse here
I thought it was pretty great, though maybe not standing O worthy

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to think I'm above cinema snobbery that labels popcorn flicks as worthless mainstream fast food (it's hilarious to say that in a nerd forum where like 90 percent of the things discussed ARE mainstream popcorn entertainment like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Sony's Spiderman, etc.). I just struggle to see what Marvel movies tackle aside from the obvious hero's journey/struggle. Aside from Black Panther, I don't remember them tacklimg any heavy handed societal issues and they always fit with the action movie mold in some way or another (yes there are background details that can make for interesting readings here and there, but they never blatantly make the movie about that). And yes, Marvel does absolutely get the human element right, but I like to think that's less their strength and more basic character-driven movie competency (which BvS and Suicide Squad aren't).

They don't have to make a Joker, btw, it's just that we're 20+ movies in, and I'd love to see them diversify their strengths in some way or another. Thor Ragnarok is as shallow and quirky as it gets, but that movie is soo wildly different from the usual MCU stuff and it's become one of my favorite superhero movies, period.

Thor Ragnarok is about colonialism and imperialism and letting go of a monstrous past regardless of its leading to a comfortable present.

The Winter Soldier is about government stepping over personal freedoms and the effects of things like Operation Paperclip and letting fascism grow stronger right under one's nose

That's just two of them. And I can't really say they're less "about something" than the superficial message of Joker, which aims for the bare minimum of "We should care more about the mentally ill!" and misses it by a mile with the grotesque caricature of a mentally ill man it calls a main character.