Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, they're really about to do it aren't they. No big twist. No shroud of mystery. No troll job by Joker. Just a straight forward character study.

This is going to be an awful Joker movie that certain audiences are going to love. I'm gonna see it but I already know how I'm going to feel :(

giphy.gif
Batman-The-Killing-Joke-Voiced-by-Patrick-Girts-Animated-Legos-by-Forrest-Whaley.jpg

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Feel like this movie is a 2 hour version of this:

"Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci."

lol

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Some of these takes in here feel scarily close to asking for art to be censored again to meet a political agenda. I hate the alt-right as much as anyone, but censoring art is not a solution ever, just because it could appeal to idiots

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like this movie is a 2 hour version of this:

"Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci."

lol

Dog carcass on in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty close to those leaks and I don't like it. Should they really be turning him into a symbol or rebellion and fighting the system? I feared they'd do this.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
What's with all these narratives on what the joker is suppose to be? It's like people watched the Dark Knight and assume it's strange for Joker to have an origin story

Deleted member 40797

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
I'm asking artists to remain consistent with their message throughout their work. That's an ask most people have.

You can't, but if you know the type of shit that appeals to them... You can choose, artistically, to not appeal to them. And that's done shot by shot. Art is about risk, but it's also about accepting said risk. Risk of critique, risk of misinterpretation, risk of challenge. No art happens in a vacuum; they say something to whoever consumes them.

I'd rather watch stuff that doesn't rally assholes. That knocks down the already knocked down just to say a warn out message. No bans, this type of stuff just teeters on a line that usually falls into the "white devil" narrative, which has grown boring to me, and brings out the bullshitters.

You aren't asking for consistency, you're asking for artists to simplify their content in order to deny our political opponents the opportunity to misinterpret it. For example, it is essential to Fight Club (a critique of toxic masculinity) to use cinematic and storytelling devices that other (less critically astute) films use to lionize toxically masculine heroes. It seems like you want moralizing rather than critical and interesting films (or literature, etc).

If we want to get really real about this? This is me being sick of downtrodden white guys with problems getting lionized or centered, with minorities under their boots in the media over and over again.

I haven't seen Joker, and am willing to be proved wrong. But everything about the trailer makes me interpret the Joker as a pathetic character - the use of lionizing tropes is either irony or satire. The comparison to Nabokov seems apt, since he attempts to make the reader side with Hubert and uses traditional erotic literary tropes and styles to do so - this doesn't mean that Lolita encourages pedophilia.

Last edited:

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
You aren't asking for consistency, you're asking for artists to simplify their content in order to deny our political opponents the opportunity to misinterpret it. For example, it is essential to Fight Club (a critique of toxic masculinity) to use cinematic and storytelling devices that other (less critically astute) films use to lionize toxically masculine heroes. It seems like you want moralizing rather than critical and interesting films (or literature, etc).

I haven't seen Joker, and am willing to be proved wrong. But everything about the trailer makes me interpret the Joker as a pathetic character - the use of lionizing tropes is either irony or satire. The comparison to Nabokov seems apt, since he attempts to make the reader side with Hubert and uses traditional erotic literary tropes and styles to do so - this doesn't mean that Lolita encourages pedophilia.

This.

It all comes down to the quality of the script at the end of the day, but the fact Joker is so heavily leaning into Scorsese makes me think they understand Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. And to be honest, no matter how the script portrays Joker and displays behaviour traits, people will always take it at face value. Travis Perkins is still a poster boy for a lot of people despite Taxi Driver being a pretty damning portrayal of Toxic Masculinity. But that is not the films fault. It not really the Dark Knights fault that people use Joker memes and quote him. Sometimes film just reflect a darker world or unpleasant truths. I honestly don't think Joker will be 'please feel sorry for me, lets make the world burn'. We will see that dubious side to this character alongside that. I don't think Pheonix would take the role if it didn't.

When I first watched Taxi driver at 15 or so I didn't even recognise ... or rather take the toxic masculinity ideas from the film. Watching it last year was liking watching a compleltley different film.