Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.avclub.com/jon-bernthal-to-his-alt-right-punisher-fans-fuck-th-1821752348

According to Bernthal, he's proud to play a character whose symbol appears on the jackets and helmets of American soldiers fighting in foreign countries. But his response to marchers at the "alt-right" protests in Charlottesville last year, who were also seen with the Punisher's symbol on their jackets, was a lot less diplomatic:

"Fuck them," Bernthal said.

Thank you Jon. When I see Blue Lives Matter flags pasted onto the Punisher logo as a bumper sticker, I always think about how idiotic it is. You.... Do know he's willing to kill cops right?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Never understand how those people always fail to understand how heroes are LITERALLY SJWs

On a kinda related note, I found really interesting how the series portraied the NRA fans ...

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
tenor.gif

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
He seems like a great guy.

He gets fired up in this interview where he talks about working with Kevin Spacey

Even a righteous Punisher IRL. Cant wait for Season 2, he played it so well.
Also the Punisher logo is badass, so why alt-righters in Charlottesville would use it.. They are anything but ''badass'', so they literally do nothing right here.

But sadly for Jon, i can only be fan of one of em. (Dark1x) ;)

Last edited:

spider

CLANG
On Break
Oct 23, 2017
Australia
Nice :>

...Reminds me that I need to finish watching the Punisher, too. Really enjoying it, so far :>

Edit: Except that bit of story with Karen as per post above me :(

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
How did it portray NRA fans?

The one I'm thinking of was a character who was a coward who hid behind bluster about a "true war" coming that people would need to get ready for. A propagandist who feared police and basically rarely shut up and tried to manipulate another character into joining his cause despite knowing how emotionally unstable said character was. Inched very close to "race war" territory.

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
The show had a blustering Senator who wanted to take away the guns get put into his place by major Netflix MCU character Karen Page, who was basically arguing with NRA talking points about guns making people feel safe on the streets or some shit.
To be fair, the old guy in the soldier group therapy turned out to be just an NRA nut who's pretending to be a hero when he's just pathetic and winds up getting killed.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
The show had a blustering Senator who wanted to take away the guns get put into his place by major Netflix MCU character Karen Page, who was basically arguing with NRA talking points about guns making people feel safe on the streets or some shit.
On the other hand, they portrayed the actual NRA cap-wearing and pamphlet-handing vet to be a bigoted slob coasting on stolen valor.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

And at the same time a NRA fat liar who attends veteran meetings and basically brings an impressionable kid to terrorism

edit : triple beaten =O

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I think you three quoted me at the exact same time and broke the alert system lol.

I saw that character more as a commentary against racist shit-heels than the NRA itself. I'm not even sure I would call The Punisher pro-gun based on that Karen thing because Karen is portrayed as on shakey moral ground for a lot of Punisher and Daredevil.

I was definitely turned off by that segment, though. Stuff like The Punisher and Death Wish has a real window to validate nutjobs who misunderstand that what's been portrayed is an ugly extreme and not something the writers necessarily feel is moral.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017

Just about the only part of the show I felt was awful. I think the original intent was to portray the stereotype, all politicians are lying scumbag, but making the only anti-gun person in the show, in a show that heavily enforced the view that guns are a necessary way to fight injustice, to be a coward and liar...Yeah that was a bit much.

Otherwise the show was good and Jon response to the Alt-Right is perfect.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
To be fair, the old guy in the soldier group therapy turned out to be just an NRA nut who's pretending to be a hero when he's just pathetic and winds up getting killed.
He was more than just a NRA but, he had massive issues he brought home with him from over seas

Edit: Oops wrong character never mind, was thinking of the young kid

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Eminem did something similar and his album flopped. But his album also sucked, I haven't seen all of Punisher

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Just about the only part of the show I felt was awful. I think the original intent was to portray the stereotype, all politicians are lying scumbag, but making the only anti-gun person in the show, in a show that heavily enforced the view that guns are a necessary way to fight injustice, to be a coward and liar...Yeah that was a bit much.

Otherwise the show was good and Jon response to the Alt-Right is perfect.
Same here. That was a really strange inclusion. They made him out to be a hypocrite as well. It was strange.

Alt right punisher fans don't scare me

seal-team-punisher-emblem.jpg

kentucky-police-vehicles-with-punisher-logos-on-the-hoods.jpeg

Those probably make up a significant number of the alt-right Punisher fans

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Good for him. Not sure how anyone who's actually read the comics would think that The Punisher would agree with their views. Hell, I'm not sure why they would think that Marvel would give such a character his own book for the past, what, 30 years. Oh wait, they're morons. That explains it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I never been able to fuck with the punisher because it resonates with such a fucked up mentality

Oct 27, 2017
People that believe Punisher holds the same alt right views as them remind me of the movie Falling Down with the Nazi believing that Douglas's character hold the same views as him.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Soo...
Reading through the comments of the YouTube video..
I find out this dude is literally family with Kurt Angle. He married Erin Angle. I had no idea!
Cjo35V7XEAAgQXk.jpg

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I can't endorse him, american soldiers in foreign countries are not something to be proud of if you live outside of America

Oct 25, 2017
It's been co-opted by Kyle's fans since his use of it as his personal logo became widely known. Around the time the first movie hit people started messing around with the logo and his involvement popularized it.

I know I, personally, never saw it used by military or police before that despite growing up with multiple members of my family either in the service or in law enforcement, but that was mainly in the '80s and '90s.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Punisher in Season 2 needs to kill some cops and joke, "Guess Blue Lives Don't Matter after all"

The reactions would be delicious.