Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PORT WITNESS TO THE SWITCH YOU JAR FILLING NERD.

Great and insightful video. As the creator of some of my favorite games ever, I hope he remains in the industry for a good long time.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A Nazi apologist, sexist, and conspiracy theorist, whose eccentric obsessions about game development have mistaken him to be a "genius". Jonathan does indeed Blow.

Soulja Boy won.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those people that think they've gotten to where they are by their own volition. Basically drinking their own koolaid. Always a recipe for disaster of morals and personality.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
reminds me of projared playing undertale. the level at which you can hate simple charming stuff when you go in wanting to hate it is pretty wild. there was a parody summarizing that whole mess pretty well

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like how Egoraptor plays games, and as a viewer it's one of the most frustrating things to watch.
When Egoraptor/Arin doesn't like a game it's one of the most annoying things ever because he just can't fathom to let someone else form their own opinion and acts like a god damn child.

It happened in their Majora's Mask playthrough, and it happened in their Skyward Sword playthrough. I don't think either is particularly the best Zelda title, but it's annoying when every little thing causes him to whine. Even when Dan seems to be enjoying himself he needs to prod into his mind over how bad the game is. Like the concept that his friend can enjoy a game he doesn't just doesn't compute so he has to make sure that they stop playing so it can't occur.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
based on his games, I'm not at all surprised that he has a narrow view of what he thinks is good in games
good thing he doesn't make all of them, but the ones he has made are fantastic

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
There aren't any timestamps because it's hours of whining.
Skipped through it and that's all I got out of it, too. He said one thing that I kind of agreed with -- mini maps should orient to the in-game camera, not north -- and everything else sounded like someone who didn't want to bother to learn how to play the game they were playing.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Skipped through it and that's all I got out of it, too. He said one thing that I kind of agreed with -- mini maps should orient to the in-game camera, not north -- and everything else sounded like someone who didn't want to bother to learn how to play the game they were playing.
Ew. Why? Every game that has given me the option has had a fixed map, I get too disoriented otherwise.

Might try watching this later for laughs, but damn I just found out a lot I didn't know about Blow in this thread lol.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like I'm averse to hearing criticism of games I like. I'm always happy to hear whatever you have to say about a game as long as it's grounded in something real and you make a reasonable argument for it. It's why I clicked on the video in the first place!

But so for it hasn't had any of that. It's nothing but opinionated statements one after the other with no reasoning to back any of them up. "insightful video"? What insight did you glean from it?

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
its a bit charming seeing the guy who made such fantastic puzzles and secrets in braid and witness get tripped up by some nintendo tutorials. but also painful.

i waited 2 hours for a cloud to move across the screen in braid for this guy, lord.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
It's not like I'm averse to hearing criticism of games I like. I'm always happy to hear whatever you have to say about a game as long as it's grounded in something real and you make a reasonable argument for it. It's why I clicked on the video in the first place!

But so for it hasn't had any of that. It's nothing but opinionated statements one after the other with no reasoning to back any of them up. "insightful video"? What insight did you glean from it?

I would like to know what is lacking about his criticism. Some details.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
In the first 2 minutes of the stream the guy has already complained with a condescending and sarcastic tone about the Switch not having a way to directly stream, and an update he had to make before playing.
Won't bother watching the rest, he's bothered feom the very begging, it was always meant to be frustrated.

Edit: also, why's the video resurfacing now?

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I haven't read a single reply in this thread yet.

Holy fuck this an almost 4 hour long video.

7 minutes in this is exactly what I expected only better.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay, so this is why I hated The Witness. Came across as self-important navel-gazing.

Let's face it, it was a lot of line puzzles wrapped in the worst-written audio logs of all time.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
all bets are off if this guy's bizarre self-aggrandizing elitism is going to age worse than his games' bargain-bin Alain-de-Botton-caliber pseudophilosophy

his gamertag being "Naysayer" is unbelievably on-the-nose

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Ew. Why? Every game that has given me the option has had a fixed map, I get too disoriented otherwise.
Because when I look at the mini-map, I care mostly about things in relation to the current orientation of my character, with the direction of my character being my main focus.

I can function either way no issue, though. I just like seeing a blip on the map on the right and me being able to go right to find it without worrying about cardinal directions.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
???

This is like asking me to prove a negative. I already explained that the problem is a lack of reasoning to back up his opinionated statements. There are no arguments for me to find fault with because there are no arguments. Well, I guess there was one: literally the only opinion he actually explained in the half hour before I closed the video was his supposition that the game was made by pedophiles, which is just embarrassing.

Other than that it was all just "I don't like x", "y sucks!", (in accusatory tone) "Why did they do z!?". You know that "I don't like thing" comic that everyone was passing around for a while? The point it made was that "I don't like thing" is not useful or interesting commentary. Why don't you like x? Why does y suck? Why is it questionable that they did z?

I ask again, what insight does this video have to offer? Can you give an example of something insightful that Jonathan Blow had to say about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild?

Last edited:

KmA

Oct 27, 2017
He's the only person in the world that finds the Zelda secret chime to be patronizing.... I've literally never heard that criticism EVER lmao.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love Blow for his game design, but just the first 10 minutes he shit on link being young and half naked, when link is a fucking elfe and can be old even if look young

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

Let's flip this around - you're the one that created the thread and told the audience that he had something informative to say.

What does Blow tell us that's so informative and presented with even the slightest substance? Any single example will do.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
based on his games, I'm not at all surprised that he has a narrow view of what he thinks is good in games
good thing he doesn't make all of them, but the ones he has made are fantastic

Yeah, he has some good ideas but from what I've seen his design ethos is locked firmly in the Tigsource mindset circa 2007. Basically just simple, usually puzzle-based games with story told only through ludonarrative. Video games distilled to thier most simple form. Everyone wanted to find the most pure way to make a game that told a narrative back then, it's how they stood apart from the big guys. He hates to see games have to rely on other forms of media or information conveyance to get a point across. Are you telling me the story? You're wrong. Are you telling me how to play? You're wrong. Anything that interrupts gameplay is a problem. He thinks these things are tainting the purity of games. A lot of people believed this as gospel at the time but many grew past it or tried to attempt different ways to solve it. He hates that people stopped thinking so simply and exclusionarily and that larger studios have noticed and tried to experiment with those ideas as well. It's really not all surprising that he'd browbeat someone for punching a nazi.

But yeah, that design ethos isn't horrible as a base, its actually extremely useful, but at some point it can become a massive limitation depending on what you are trying to do. But anything that exists beyond that limitation is not a game to him.

Oct 25, 2017
I love that he whines that Switch doesn't have a way to stream in 2017 and yet is a streamer without a capture card in 2017.

Necromanti

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I completely blocked out that video from memory, and I'm still not sure if it's supposed to be satire or not. What a strange little man.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I love that he whines that Switch doesn't have a way to stream in 2017 and yet is a streamer without a capture card in 2017.

This didn't even hit me till you typed that out.

Also this video is ending up super weird for me. First off I haven't played a single Zelda game I really liked, played BotW got about halfway through the story and put it down cause I disliked it so much. Now I'm sitting here watching Blow seemingly trying to dislike the game, and I just texted my buddy asking if I can borrow his Switch copy. I want to play this so bad right now.

Sep 22, 2019
he has good game design iq and all his talks surrounding design are very good

I especially liked this one on truth in game design

www.youtube.com

Jonathan Blow - Truth In Game Design

A talk by Jonathan Blow at GDC Europe 2011 about truth in game design.Description from the GDC Vault website: We illustrate that games, being algorithmic s...

when he streams games though he definitely has a low threshold for frustration. he will alt-f4 the moment he gets angry lol

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because he's a computer science whiz. I've watched a video of him talking about compilers and shit for like 4 hours.

There's that, then all the stuff about covid and "free speech". Bizarre how one can be so intelligent, yet so moronic at the same time.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
It's weird because he's a computer science whiz. I've watched a video of him talking about compilers and shit for like 4 hours.

There's that, then all the stuff about covid and "free speech". Bizarre how one can be so intelligent, yet so moronic at the same time.
It's very common unfortunately. Some of the most book smart people are very dumb when it comes to other aspects of life.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Let's flip this around - you're the one that created the thread and told the audience that he had something informative to say.

What does Blow tell us that's so informative and presented with even the slightest substance? Any single example will do.
The only thing this taught me is that J-Blo gets very confused, and easily frustrated by simple concepts, actions, puzzles, audio cues, descriptions, and apparently names which makes the game bad and Nintendo should feel bad and stop making video games.

He's definitely not being deliberately obtuse in order to seem superior to AAA (and Japanese 😲😉) game designers.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019

I have some doubts about this. As someone who finally decided to watch one of his talks, it seems like his problem with the abstractions built by libraries and languages is that they don't provide him the level of granular control or implementation that he wants while not respecting that these things were built this way for the generic case, not his. That's like wanting to build a car from scratch because the ones offered don't an ejector seat. You can do it, sure. But to me, it's seems like overkill.

Also, and this is super picky, the syntax of his language makes my eyes bleed. It gives me PTSD flashbacks to when I did PHP.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always found Braid kinda pretentious so I've never been too invested in this guys work. Finding out he's a fuckwit just gives me more reason to ignore him.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. He's live right now actually.

I don't really tune in when he is gaming, rather when he is working in game dev/languages/compilers.

Really says a lot about the guy.
Why can't he be smart (Well apparently he posted not so smart things in the past) and socially friendly and welcoming at the same time? Reminds me of someone like Jobs or something.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018

Lock it down, no arguments/discussion about "informative" to be had, Elvis has left the building. ;)
Thread is more about the dude and his character than the actual point (if there was any besides the usual "BOTW is not as good as people make it out to be") in the OP.

About the video: it really reminds me of the "old man yelling at clouds" phrase.