• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
It wasn't just a "comment over Japanese video games" and it didn't just "amount to him saying that Japanese games suck".

You can say the backlash was disproportionate (which it was, especially compared to the backlash or lack thereof Blow has gotten) without downplaying the stuff that caused it.

I have zero reason to 'defend' Fish and hasn´t played any games by either devs being discussed, but am I missing something?
That article is just him saying japanese games suck.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ugh

it feels like a pandora's box was opened and so many minds are irreparably damaged to feed on confusion and misinformation

So many people cannot tell up from down any more and the complete distrust in even common and repeatable solid information is discounted and minority/contrarian viewpoints are given far more weight than they have earned

I HATE this current reality and feel just as fucking hopeless to stop it as we did when Trump was in office

Why can't people dig themselves out of these self destructive holes.
You don't have to rescue them, it's not your burden. Recognise what's in your control and what's not. Accept they're adults with their own responsibilities and choices.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
This is the dude who made an arthouse film about Soulja Boy saying his game sucked, right

Tracks

I'm always surprised at the amount of people who are smart at a particular thing go on to assume this means they're smart about everything

The problem with knowledge is it doesn't automatically confer wisdom or understanding. This tends to result in people who just want to be right about things rather than get things right.

It's part of the engine that powers stupid takes from "smart" people.

The worst is when their argument holds merit over others because they're able to sound articulate lol.
It's a high school debate club gimmick - "I'm right because I am professionally full of shit."

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to rescue them, it's not your burden. Recognise what's in your control and what's not. Accept they're adults with their own responsibilities and choices.

Oh I don't give two shits about saving them

I am worried about the collateral damage the lies in our collective future should the brain virus continue to spread unchecked

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Let's not forget the man literally made a game about going to extreme measures to connect the dots between arbitrary objects.

The aha moment in The Witness is seeing hidden connections in the world and feel like a genius for finding them. It's basically QAnon as a game mechanic.

The person who got banned for saying his game promoted segregation simply lacked any actual evidence for this but your point is undeniably true if anyone has reached that video where this actually happens. I always found the audio and video content as over the top but now it is going to sour me on any future replays that he has taken this type of thinking too far.

Jul 14, 2020
The Witness seemed pretty self-aware, at least as I understood it, about the line between trying to find patterns to understand the world and get closer to Truth, and getting so consumed by a search for some underlying Big Answer that you lose perspective completely. I felt like the FMV that serves as one of the game's endings was one way of acknowledging that (the "player character" emerging from the virtual world of The Witness and staggering around looking for the game's patterns, which outside of that world are totally pointless). Similarly, The Secret of Psalm 46 GDC lecture that's in the game (the environmental puzzle that requires you to listen to the whole thing is an all-time great stupid gaming moment, and it ties into this very idea) is largely about how people get carried away by the hunt for Easter eggs and hidden puzzles, whether that's the truth of Shakespeare's identity or codes hidden in the Bible or conspiracy theories.

Drawing lines or creating patterns can be very fun, but it's not necessarily good for you all the time.

I like this take, too bad Blow didn't get that takeaway from his own game

There are some really shitty hot takes about The Witness in this thread.

None anywhere near as shitty as Blow's opinions on things unrelated to game design. Woof.

And this right here, I think he's a talented designer, I liked Braid well enough when it came out and thought the Witness was a flat out great game, but he can fuck right off with this bullshit

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Everyone just retweet that video of Soulja Boy ripping on Braid. He still doesn't know how to counter that.

Funny thing about that video, Soulja Boy wasn't even ripping on it...he was playing it, he thought it was fun and funny. People play games and have fun with them, which is something Blow couldn't understand. You make something and then it's out of your hands. There's no "right" way to play.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Weeks): Hostility; Tone Policing; Dismissive Commentary
Alright, I agree what I initially wrote about this was a little too much.

I don't think it's right people continually, still, connect Phil Fish and Jonathan Blow but you're not a bad person for being upset at Fish's comments back then. Though I do believe it's well past time we all move on from it and acknowledge they are nowhere near on the same degree of humanity.

Last edited:

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This ain't a hype thread.
you're right, I disregarded the thread premise, on topic: Terrible tweets, shame on him, can't believe such a smart guy holds such conspiratorial opinions about covid being man made etc

Still want to see what he creates next in the game design space.

Basically, less tweeting and talking and more designing, Jonathan. Chop chop!

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe there are clowns, in 2021, still upset about Phil Fish's comment.

If you're upset about it still, you're trash, person reading this right now.

Move on, the sanctity of Japanese gaming has somehow recovered without you.

And I can't believe there are still people defending Phil Fish in 2021. Dude was a clown.

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
I have zero reason to 'defend' Fish and hasn´t played any games by either devs being discussed, but am I missing something?
That article is just him saying japanese games suck.
There's a difference between saying "Japanese games suck" and telling a Japanese man "your games suck" (as if he's meant to represent his entire country) on stage in front of a crowd, plus sarcastically saying "I'm sorry, Japanese guy!" on Twitter.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I can't believe there are clowns, in 2021, still upset about Phil Fish's comment.

If you're upset about it still, you're trash, person reading this right now.

Move on, the sanctity of Japanese gaming has somehow recovered without you.
You seem very angry about people calling out the time a developer was an asshole. You might want to untangle whatever personal feelings you have tied up with the public reception of Phil Fish because this post isn't conveying what you think it's conveying.

beatoangelico

Sep 9, 2019
I'm glad I didn't redeem the witness over the epic games store when it came up. not that it matters, but still.

"an oopsie in the lab". okay.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
You seem very angry about people calling out the time a developer was an asshole. You might want to untangle whatever personal feelings you have tied up with the public reception of Phil Fish because this post isn't conveying what you think it's conveying.

It is absurd to try to connect Phil Fish saying some rude, dumb shit to Jonathan Blow who has again and again shown he legitimately is a piece of shit who believes he's smarter than everybody.

With time and perspective I think everybody can agree Fish was an idiot but not deserving of the petty malice he still receives today from gamers* when he doesn't even have a presence and didn't continue that behavior, to my knowledge.

I am not being angry, I am being direct: It is stupid.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
He didn't make the film, but he sure as hell let them film him as a silhouette while wistful music plays over the sound of Soulja Boy and his friends not "getting it."

This is never not funny to me.

jblow absolutely stinks and this is a funny scene, but this is not on him. The filmmakers shot a bunch of b-roll and put some of it with the soulja boy stuff. They weren't like, "Hey, will you let us film you in silhouette, and it's going to be moody and here's the music that will be playing, and we're gonna use this in contrast with some stuff about soulja boy not liking your game?" They were probably like, "Sit there for a second, we're gonna grab some b-roll before this next interview."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't make the film, but he sure as hell let them film him as a silhouette while wistful music plays over the sound of Soulja Boy and his friends not "getting it."

I feel like there are levels to seeing Jonathan Blow sitting silently in darkness at the thought of Soulja Boy being happy for the wrong reasons, but I don't think I can unpack them.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
jblow absolutely stinks and this is a funny scene, but this is not on him. The filmmakers shot a bunch of b-roll and put some of it with the soulja boy stuff. They weren't like, "Hey, will you let us film you in silhouette, and it's going to be moody and here's the music that will be playing, and we're gonna use this in contrast with some stuff about soulja boy not liking your game?" They were probably like, "Sit there for a second, we're gonna grab some b-roll before this next interview."

You're right that the presentation is the filmmaker editorializing, but sadly reflecting "But...they're missing the most important thing..." because his game was played wrong is hilarious enough even without the sad music from 1970s Hulk show playing.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It is absurd to try to connect Phil Fish saying some rude, dumb shit to Jonathan Blow who has again and again shown he legitimately is a piece of shit who believes he's smarter than everybody.

With time and perspective I think everybody can agree Fish was an idiot but not deserving of the petty malice he still receives today from gamers* when he doesn't even have a presence and didn't continue that behavior, to my knowledge.

I am not being angry, I am being direct: It is stupid.
Phil Fish's behavior was worthy of condemnation on more than one occasion but barring any further details I'm not aware of, sure I can agree that he isn't on the same level of what we're seeing from Jonathan Blow right now. It's a bit of a shame the two are forever tied together in public consciousness but it is what it is. If you wanted to say it's irrelevant to this topic, sure.

That said, it's still worth talking about why what Fish did was wrong, especially his reaction to the backlash, and calling people who do that "clowns" and "trash" and trying to make an unspoken connection between them and GamerGate level shit with the "gamers*" comment does make you seem a little disproportionately angry, and you really might want to take a step back and look over this whole thing with some distance.

Last edited:

chiller

Apr 23, 2021

Irregardless of the audio (which is absolutely fair to say he didn't pick it), he's still choosing to play into this stewing "they don't appreciate my genius" auteur role. Soulja Boy is just the icing on the cake knowing he's still not over it to this day.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Phil Fish's behavior was worthy of condemnation on more than one occasion but barring any further details I'm not aware of, sure I can agree that he isn't on the same level of what we're seeing from Jonathan Blow right now. It's a bit of a shame the two are forever tied together in public consciousness but it is what it is. If you wanted to say it's irrelevant to this topic, sure.

That said, it's still worth talking about why what Fish did was wrong, especially his reaction to the backlash, and calling people who do that "clowns" and "trash" and trying to make an unspoken connection between them and GamerGate level shit with the "gamers*" comment does make you seem a little proportionately angry, and you really might want to take a step back and look over this whole thing with some distance.

You know what, you're actually right. I edited my initial post because it was way too hasty and judgmental.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
You're right that the presentation is the filmmaker editorializing, but sadly reflecting "But...they're missing the most important thing..." because his game was played wrong is hilarious enough even without the sad music from 1970s Hulk show playing.
Irregardless of the audio (which is absolutely fair to say he didn't pick it), he's still choosing to play into this stewing "they don't appreciate my genius" auteur role. Soulja Boy is just the icing on the cake knowing he's still not over it to this day.
I think that's totally fair given what we know about jblow, his attitude toward detractors/critics, and his perception of his own work. Without the really heavy-handed framing from the filmmakers or biographical context, though, I don't think what he's saying is particularly risible or ridiculous. He's not saying that his game was played wrong or was unfairly maligned, he's saying that there's a disconnect between the things that the game was being celebrated for and his own perception of what's noteworthy about it, and that having one's work celebrated for 'succeeding at' the wrong things can be more alienating and dispiriting than someone's belief that you don't quite accomplish the right things.

I don't have an opinion on if he's right or wrong in this specific case—I do not care about Braid, I do not know exactly what disconnect he's identifying—but I do think that sentiment is reasonable, and is one of the things that he/the documentary actually astutely read into the cultural moment they're capturing. Bad readership, bad literacy, bad criticism did a lot to contextualize the 'rise of indie games' narrative, and have not really gotten better on a broad scale in the intervening years.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

Hum, you don't have to be an ass to be sad when you spend years of your life making something you think is special and then see it get famous for something that's completely not about what you wanted it to be about, especially if there's an emotional investment on your part. That's just being a normal person.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
The fact that right wingers scream cancel culture as soon as someone is called out for doing or saying something awfull is a real problem these days.

I had no idea of what he was like prior to this thread but Ill skip his games going forward.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody has ever given me any reason to be angry at Phil Fish. Jonathan Blow has given me plenty of reason to be angry at Jonathan Blow.

May 26, 2018
Hum, you don't have to be an ass to be sad when you spend years of your life making something you think is special and then see it get famous for something that's completely not about what you wanted it to be about, especially if there's an emotional investment on your part. That's just being a normal person.

Yeah, think maybe it's more on the odd production of that clip than it is on Blow there. I can totally see someone be like, "wait, no point? But it has a point..."

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
I think that's totally fair given what we know about jblow, his attitude toward detractors/critics, and his perception of his own work. Without the really heavy-handed framing from the filmmakers or biographical context, though, I don't think what he's saying is particularly risible or ridiculous. He's not saying that his game was played wrong or was unfairly maligned, he's saying that there's a disconnect between the things that the game was being celebrated for and his own perception of what's noteworthy about it, and that having one's work celebrated for 'succeeding at' the wrong things can be more alienating and dispiriting than someone's belief that you don't quite accomplish the right things.

I don't have an opinion on if he's right or wrong in this specific case—I do not care about Braid, I do not know exactly what disconnect he's identifying—but I do think that sentiment is reasonable, and is one of the things that he/the documentary actually astutely read into the cultural moment they're capturing. Bad readership, bad literacy, bad criticism did a lot to contextualize the 'rise of indie games' narrative, and have not really gotten better on a broad scale in the intervening years.

All fair, I did conflate Blow's role with the people working on the film, along with their portrayal of things. The heavy handiness doesn't come from Blow. The heavy handiness comes from the edit and the fact that it's so clumsy is what make it funny. The text in the post should be something more like "he's filmed in silhouette while wistful music plays over the sound of the infamous video of Soulja Boy and his friends playing Braid." I'll edit the original post.

I'm also all in for better media literacy (and should have exercised it more in this case lmao) to the point of "this should be a mandatory course in schools," but the one thing I will say is nobody is owed the perfect interpretation of their art. He's absolutely allowed to be depressed about it though, it's not a great feeling.

I think we can all agree that he still sucks though, especially right now.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Yeah, think maybe it's more on the odd production of that clip than it is on Blow there. I can totally see someone be like, "wait, no point? But it has a point..."

To me it looks like he's not reacting to Soulja Boy in the clip, right? He's talking about professional reviewers who gave Braid glowing reviews, but in his view still didn't "get" the game on some deeper level he was going for. The Soulja Boy clip is just edited on top