• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
In space, no one can hear you scream, "Avengers Assemble!"

Over the course of the Alien franchise, the fearsome creatures known as Xenomorphs have encountered — and eviscerated — all types of enemies, including workers, soldiers, prisoners, scientists, and even Predators. But this summer, they'll reach a new level when they come face to face with superheroes.

Now that Disney owns the rights to both Marvel and Alien (the latter stemming from the studio's 2019 acquisition of Fox assets), Entertainment Weekly can exclusively report that these two franchises are colliding in the crossover comic Aliens vs. Avengers, from writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Esad Ribic.

That creative team last worked together on the Secret Wars event comic (which has been teased as a potential future Marvel Cinematic Universe film) and are two of Marvel's most accomplished creators. Ribic handled art on Marvel's recent Eternals comic (which was miles better than the movie), while Hickman has been busy with all kinds of projects over the last few years, from revitalizing the X-Men to bringing back the Ultimate Universe.

"I've never worked on a licensed or 'non-superhero' property the entire time I've been at Marvel, so when all of this came together almost two years ago, I kind of jumped at the opportunity," Hickman tells EW. "I love the Aliens universe and the mythology, and obviously just how atmospherically and well-designed everything is has always gotten my creative juices flowing. It was tricky finding a way to make these two things work together, but I think Esad and I landed on something that works for fans of both franchises."

aliens-vs-avengers-041724-1-abf62c8ccf894f179fd83a5d5941020d.jpg

ew.com

Jonathan Hickman teases Marvel's upcoming 'Aliens vs. Avengers' comic

Jonathan Hickman teases what to expect when Marvel's new 'Aliens vs. Avengers' comic brings superheroes face to face with Xenomorphs.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
So someone will end up getting implanted by a face hugger right? Who will it be!

But this series is set a little into the future, outside the typical continuity for either Alien or Avengers stories, which gives some room to play.

I assume this gives Hickman license to just straight up off heroes with no consequences to main 616 continuity?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I struggle to picture any scenario in which Xenomorphs stand even a remote shadow of a chance against Carol Danvers.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
seriously... the mans work always thrives in act 3 and we'll never see that on his mutant run
We aren't even getting to see his act 2, as the reason he left iirc is that when he was ready to wrap up act 1 the rest of the x-men team said "but this status quo is such fertile soil to explore brand new stories and we aren't done yet" and he said fair enough

but then that x-men writing team just regurgitated the same x-men stories we've been reading on repeat since the 80s.

I've felt so robbed by the whole affair.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems a bit of a waste of Hickman's talent, but if he's gung-ho on the story, he has to have some creative ideas already.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Uhh...Cap is the only one on that cover who could realistically be harmed by an Alien?

Tony would see them coming with heat/motion sensors, and has more powerful guns than whatever the soldiers were using in Aliens.

Carol would obliterate them.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Hulk. We will get Hulk Aliens and he could survive having his chest explode.

Actually that gives me an intriguing set of thoughts:

1) xenomorphs usually have dna based on their host right? Wouldn't they technically be able to get super powers from a superhero that way?

2) if the target can survive the bursting out of the alien, like say through regeneration or something, then if the aliens can capture someone and imprison them would they be able to just make a metric fuck ton of offspring? Possibly with regenerative powers of their own?

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh...Cap is the only one on that cover who could realistically be harmed by an Alien?

Tony would see them coming with heat/motion sensors, and has more powerful guns than whatever the soldiers were using in Aliens.

Carol would obliterate them.

Tony's armor would probably be destroyed by the acid.

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of Ribic's art but I'm sure people will really have fun with this.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how they'll be a threat to superheroes. Captain Marvel, Hulk, or Thor could exterminate them entirely solo.

Another battle of the titans
F5COqYrXcAATVZ0.jpg

Bengraven