overcast

Oct 25, 2017
A white man in a position of power taking advantage of a younger womans love and admiration IS a movie we've seen before though.

Keep in mind, he's not saying those movies shouldn't be made, he's just saying he isn't the one to make them.
That's quite the simplification of everything within Phantom Thread though. There are way more interesting gender dynamics at play there too.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for him, I don't care about weak concerns by weak people that are hurt about that comment. Their only concern is mudding the discussion.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds fine to me. There aren't enough minority lead movies or movies that are for that demographic. Why is anyone upset over this? Let people have something that actually caters to them. Carry on dude I'll continue catching your movies lol

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
I might be going out on a limb with this, but I think the major reason why minorities are underrepresented in the movie and music industry is due to the audience. Hollywood is like any other institution, they want to maximize profits. I'm sure they have tons of stats and surveys showing that a movie with a white male lead makes x dollars, and all other groups will pull in less so you can't really blame them for catering to their audience and making the most money as possible.

What Jordan Peele is doing here is fantastic. This will hopefully show that underrepresented groups out there can make similar or even more money than a white male lead IF you provide them with a good script and invest enough money into the movie to make it look as great as possible.

This line of thinking is exactly WHY Hollywood put White Male leads in these roles over other ethnic/social groups, but as other posters have pointed out, this line of thinking was a myth/hasn't been based in any reality for a long time. So yes, we can "blame them" for believing false information and making it harder for non White males in Hollywood/making it difficult for non White male TV/movie watchers to find representation all over the world.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
His movies, his choice. No problem with that. He also cast Tim Heidecker in Us and that flat out rules.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
Super facts

Hopefully more video games can follow suit. Sick of the boring generic white protag

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
That's quite the simplification of everything within Phantom Thread though. There are way more interesting gender dynamics at play there too.

True, and it's certainly interesting for those gender dynamics to be explored, but I don't see why Jordan Peele needs to be the one to explore white-male gender dynamics, when he can explore racial and society dynamics that haven't really been explored in film.

Get Out was so fresh because it explored racial dynamics that haven't really been addressed in film.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
True, and it's certainly interesting for those gender dynamics to be explored, but I don't see why Jordan Peele needs to be the one to explore white-male gender dynamics, when he can explore racial and society dynamics that haven't really been explored in film.

Get Out was so fresh because it explored racial dynamics that haven't really been addressed in film.
Oh he doesn't I wasn't arguing that. Just addressing the Phantom Thread aspect of that back and forth.

I definitely support Peele making original films in whatever manner he wants.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nolan casting a black lead is seriously most shocking film news of the year. Villeneuve, Fincher, and co. need to be pressed on why their movies are white as hell.
Villeneuve did have Incendies which was mostly Middle Eastern people. It's an excellent movie.

But he has been falling into more Hollywood stuff lately. Not that I don't like American white people, but I have seen that movie.

Oct 27, 2017

All you're saying is true and making his leads all-black is a great decision. "I've seen that movie" because the cast is white is still a dumb thing to say.

Apr 18, 2018
Santa Cruz
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory false equivalencies.
I don't understand. He makes his own movies the way he wants to make them and it's fine, which it is. I am all for artists creating their own vision.

But when an artist makes characters who's boobs are too big, even if it's it's their vision, people crawl all over them for seeing their character that certain way and they have to represented in a certain way that pleases everyone rather than just themselves.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
All you're saying is true and making his leads all-black is a great decision. "I've seen that movie" because the cast is white is still a dumb thing to say.

I think it gets the point across in the most succinct manner possible.

I don't understand. He makes his own movies the way he wants to make them and it's fine, which it is. I am all for artists creating their own vision.

But when an artist makes characters who's boobs are too big, even if it's it's their vision, people crawl all over them for seeing their character that certain way and they have to represented in a certain way that pleases everyone rather than just themselves.

If only people with big boobs were an oppressed minority group that rarely gets the lead in films. This is a terrible analogy.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Thats totally fine.

Hollywood is still pretty damn white. Broader representation is good for everyone.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

The artist's vision is banal. There's nothing special about having an idea or making something that protects you from feedback.

Oct 25, 2017
I love facts.

I also love Jordan Peele.

I also love black people.

I also love Get Out and Us.

I also love facts.

[God, I love facts]

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Ethan that you? I want my money back for jawbreakers

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
The people who feel slighted by this will just have to settle for most other films having white leads.

Peele's casting has been stellar. He is now one of my favorite filmakers.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I didn't think I could see a worse take on this. Thank you for proving me wrong.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its his movie. He can cast whoever he wants. I also seen that movie too many times.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
No problem with that

all I care about is if the movie is good and so far he's got a good track record

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's a shit ton of other directors making a shit ton of white lead roles. I think white people can live with one dude in Peele not making them.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Ah yes, that classic comparison of trying to prop up and support marginalized groups vs. crassly objectifying women.

Congrats on really exposing the hypocrisy of it all...

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't care who is doing the acting as long as the movies is good. It's his show and he can do what he wants with it. In other words, this does not bother me a bit.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Here are some questions.

If we have more successful black and POC film makers making films with diverse casts.....will it still be OK for a white male film maker to use a nearly all-white cast? At what point is it legit or no longer legit to criticize a film for its diversity or lack thereof?

Let's say I am a big fan of Mesopotamian history. Studied it all my life, I am a film maker and want to make a film about it. But I am white. I work really hard to build a diverse cast from that region, but I am still a white filmmaker. People will argue that I should cede the film to a filmmaker that better represents the region and the culture. Are those valid?

Are we only allowed to tell our own stories? Are we not allowed to make films about other cultures that we admire or are obsessed with?

Let's say we discover a race of friendly aliens who can do all the things that we can do. Do I have to now be careful about making a film like Alien? Alien insults not only alien life - painting them in a negative light, but androids are treated poorly as well.

At what point do these things matter? These are not easy questions.
It's already ok for them to do all white casts, for some people variety, or the way things look in the real world are just more interesting. For example I know it make sense for the new Quinten Tarrentino movie to seem to have an all white cast (I have only seen the trailer) but I'm just not interested in it at all so far. Mostly because it seem to be about Hollywood, a true story that don't interest me, and a seemingly all white cast. All of that together just has nothing to grab my attention, maybe the next trailer will have some awesome action and stunts to make me raise an eyebrow (speaking of eyebrow, that new Hobbs & Shaw movie had my interest). I did like the first few seasons of Mad Men, and some of How I Met Your Mother though (I should have known they would never really tell how he met her until the series has already overstayed it's welcome. I should google who it was actually). To me Living Single > Friends.

About Quinten's new movie, I didn't know what some other people were thinking about the cast before typing up my response. Checking to see if it was indeed an all white cast I saw the article on the responses from twitter. I have no idea what this true story is about, I don't remember the name of the real person, or his stunt double. It's what Quinten want's to do, I just hope his movie after it isn't based on a true story again and is something I'm interested in. If not, oh well.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy to see I'm proven wrong. I feel like the people in power are leaving a ton of money on the table. This would be a great opportunity for a new studio or any of the current ones to serve a market that's not currently being served. I wonder if the rise of the Chinese movie industry will kick some Hollywood studios in the butt and change the way they think.
The internet is helping but as long as we live in this capitalist system, especially one as unequal as this the benefits will always go to whites. Whites own the studios, the casting companies, are the directors, the lighting/camera people, and basically all aspects of the industry (and most industries to be fair). They may give little handouts to other races and even if they make good money on their movies the furthest consistency in terms of "minorities" they will go is white women.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like The Twilight Zone episodes are bursting with different types of people, looking good.