• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I mean this is the guy who can't even say he supports gay marriage clearly (because he very likely doesn't but knows saying so would pin him down)

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
If anyone uses the phrase cultural Marxism, then they are idiots that don't understand what they are talking about.

If anyone uses the phrase cultural Marxism to describe post-modernism, then they are idiots that ironically don't understand what they are talking about.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not blaming the bill for anything. I'm saying Petersons justification(however stupid) for opposing the addition actually came true. Which is why he got so popular. There are a million other things you should criticize him on(sexism, blatant theism, Islamophobia, cult of personality), but his opposition to Bill C-16 shouldn't be a cornerstone of "Peterson = alt-right" because it is a weak-ass cornerstone.
No. It didn't. You're conflating people's reaction to Peterson with how Peterson thinks Bill-C16 would work. They're not the same. And one doesn't prove the other.
Except it didn't.

I didn't come true.... because the Bill never actually was used against her by people with the power to enforce the bill.... And he was already popular before Lindsay Shephard.... hence why she used him in her grammar class.

And I was using his testimony as an example of him taking a stand against my human rights.
This. So much this.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And he was already popular before Lindsay Shephard.... hence why she used him in her grammar class.
He was a footnote, in Alberta. I can count on one hand the number of people that knew him before Shepherd. I work in a University, after Shepherd we had a bloody training course.
No. It didn't. You're conflating people's reaction to Peterson with how Peterson thinks Bill-C16 would work. They're not the same. And one doesn't prove the other.

This. So much this.
No, I'm conflating too diametrically opposed professors having the same misunderstanding on a bill.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
I've been vaguely aware of him. General population and students didn't. Toronto isn't the center of the universe, startling I know.

I'm not talking about Toronto, I've never even been there. The list was broader than that. We had university wide emails about it sent by the administration in my university in a different country.

People were genuinely concerned about safety. I recall at least one article about it in The Chronicle of Higher Education.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'd seen some of his bad takes here and there but I hadn't realized he was this popular/well regarded, huh. He's entirely ridiculous, but at the same time I can see how just dumping enough words into vague enough writing can convince people that you know what you're talking about, and that you agree with them.

Which of course means that instead of just being ridiculous off in his own corner, he's actively harmful.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about Toronto, I've never even been there. The list was broader than that. We had university wide emails about it sent by the administration in my university in a different country.

People were genuinely concerned about safety. There was at least one article about it in The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Was it ever publicly released? I thought he recanted; probably after being threatened with lawsuits.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
wow this dude has gone to places, I meet him as a personality teacher. That's it. And his classes were a mess, with his fixation of Disney movies archetypes, at least he recognize that -sometimes-.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can't believe this guys is the public face of the University of Toronto.

Worth mentioning most academics here, at least the ones I've encountered, think he's a professional contrarian, which is a nice way of saying disingenuous asshole.

I wonder if he thinks his fall from grace was worth it, back when I had him as a teacher he was well regarded by students and faculty- personally speaking, sacrificing academic integrity just to have material wealth and fame seems like a trade-off that only seems lucrative in the short term. I would assume that as an academic he would value things like intellectual relevancy and the respect of his peers more than the Youtube comments section.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018

I mean this is the guy who can't even say he supports gay marriage clearly (because he very likely doesn't but knows saying so would pin him down)

Was gonna post this myself, but yeah one of Peterson's tactics is staying just ambiguous enough to give himself some wiggle room. The fact that someone tells him that they're against Gay Marriage because of "Cultural Marxist" and he agrees with them that that's a good enough reason undermines the facade he tries to put up.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i find it interesting this thread as been allowed to continue unlike situations where his excerpts have been posted in a not so negative light.
i haven't really read up too much on him but this disingenuous behaviour certainly pushes me to take him more seriously than i would've.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
One of the universities here in Nova Scotia has to deal with their own free speech nutcase now thanks to Peterson, spending time in his psychology class explaining to students that there is no gendered wage gap in Canada, that multiculturalism is a scam, and that any efforts to offer reparations to the native people in Nova Scotia is just them trying to take advantage of white people by making them feel guilty about everything. Example from our own Peterson-like professor:

On Twitter, he has retweeted a post that said it is "statistically impossible for all Native children to have had a negative experience with residential schools."

The Truth and Reconciliation Commission found that more than 150,000 First Nations, Metis, and Inuit children were taken from their families – often by force – to attend government schools. The commission heard testimony from roughly 7,000 survivors, including graphic details of rampant sexual and physical abuse at the schools, and found at least 6,000 Indigenous children died from malnutrition, disease and widespread abuse.

Source: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...es-campus-free-speech-debate/article38199740/

Same as Peterson, he hides behind the right to free speech (along with the fact that he's unionized) to seemingly avoid any punishment, while teaching his students with articles he likely pulls from Breitbart. And the other teachers are mostly afraid to publicly say anything, out of fear of their own jobs for the ones who aren't unionized (from my own personal source on the ground).

It's insane.

I honestly do not believe there is a single person who can respect Peterson even a single bit after actually reading into the things he argues against, rather than just listening to his interpretation of them. You sort of see how much of it falls apart the moment you realize he's talking out of his ass. That actually reading the laws he references, and finding the actual sources for statistics, paints a very different picture than the one he's trying to sell people on.

Last edited:

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think Rationality Rules has done a good job dissecting some of Peterson's remarks, especially as he's championed as an intellectual fortress amongst his cultish fans.

Truth is that which increases your chances of survival and reproduction? That which does not serve life is not true?

I'm all for philosophical discussions and what not, but that is such a...stupid definition of truth that is so easily counter-able (and it is, later in the video).

JBP is a nut case honestly.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
The rise of Jordan Peterson is a result of extreme leftists arguing with their emotions which always looks and sounds bad.

The only thing that's missing from a Jordan Peterson debate is "U Mad? U Mad. Y U Mad tho?"

His followers LOVE it. Every second YouTube video relating to him is titled "Jordan Peterson DESTROYS ________"

If it weren't for that, I have no doubt that Jordan Peterson would just be a relatively insignificant self-help dude.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The rise of Jordan Peterson is a result of extreme leftists arguing with their emotions which always looks and sounds bad.

The only thing that's missing from a Jordan Peterson debate is "U Mad? U Mad. Y U Mad tho?"

His followers LOVE it. Every second YouTube video relating to him is titled "Jordan Peterson DESTROYS ________"

If it weren't for that, I have no doubt that Jordan Peterson would just be a relatively insignificant self-help dude.

?

Peterson is famous because he made a trans rights bill about how he's gonna go to jail and starve.

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: Shitting on trans people is a lucrative market.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I wasn't aware that those lefties were giving him tens of thousands of dollars a month on Patreon to own the cons or whatever but sure, let's go with the asinine explanation that it's somehow the fault of anyone remotely to the left of the guy whose thoughts on Disney films are on par with Mike Pence.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i find it interesting this thread as been allowed to continue unlike situations where his excerpts have been posted in a not so negative light.
i haven't really read up too much on him but this disingenuous behaviour certainly pushes me to take him more seriously than i would've.

Those threads weren't locked because of the way the excepts were posted, they were locked because they became complete shitshows. And this thread might, too, it's still fresh and more of his bigger fans don't seem to be there yet.

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
Jordan Peterson is having a bit of a melty on twitter tonight, I'd recommend checking it out

Edit oh wait I'm late

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017

No one believes people who do this

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Eh, I love listening to JP. He is very misconstrued by the media.

If he is helping people better themselves then I say good for him. I still need to read his book. He is motivational for me.

After watching this I don't see what was so dishonest about the cut. A lot of what was cut out of the interview felt almost more damning than what's in there.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Someone wrote a mean thing about his shitty book where he talks about wanting to hit a child and barely restraining himself.

As an adult, he has chosen The Rational Way™ to deal with this by having a hissy fit. Because psychology.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
peterson1-768x701.jpg

This is halfway to Time Cube-level nonsense.

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
Someone wrote a mean thing about his shitty book where he talks about wanting to hit a child and barely restraining himself.

As an adult, he has chosen The Rational Way™ to deal with this by having a hissy fit. Because psychology.

This is how he's reacted to every bad review he's gotten

He tweeted at Ira Wells for like ten hours lmao

He has his legion of lost boys but none of his peers respect him and it's making him crazy

Oct 27, 2017

Gotta work on your script, little see through. But yeah man, no ones stopping you from taking idiots seriously, have fun.

Or, if you wanted to read up, there are some awesome links and videos posted in this very thread. I'm most of the way through the rationality rules one, and I think I'll subscribe after I finish watching. Really good stuff, thanks to whoever posted it!

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
One of the universities here in Nova Scotia has to deal with their own free speech nutcase now thanks to Peterson, spending time in his psychology class explaining to students that there is no gendered wage gap in Canada, that multiculturalism is a scam, and that any efforts to offer reparations to the native people in Nova Scotia is just them trying to take advantage of white people by making them feel guilty about everything. Example:

Source: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...es-campus-free-speech-debate/article38199740/

He hides behind the right to free speech (along with the fact that he's unionized) to seemingly avoid any punishment, while teaching his students with articles he likely pulls from Breitbart. And the other teachers are mostly afraid to publicly say anything, out of fear of their own jobs for the ones who aren't unionized (from my own personal source on the ground).

It's insane.

I honestly do not believe there is a single person who can respect Peterson even a single bit after actually reading into the things he argues against, rather than just listening to his interpretation of them. You sort of see how much of it falls apart the moment you realize he's talking out of his ass. That actually reading the laws he references, and finding the actual sources for statistics, paints a very different picture than the one he's trying to sell people on.

For the record the quotes from that article are from a different professor, Rick Mehta

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
?

Peterson is famous because he made a trans rights bill about how he's gonna go to jail and starve.

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: Shitting on trans people is a lucrative market.

I wasn't aware that those lefties were giving him tens of thousands of dollars a month on Patreon to own the cons or whatever but sure, let's go with the asinine explanation that it's somehow the fault of anyone remotely to the left of the guy whose thoughts on Disney films are on par with Mike Pence.

So you don't agree that he's been given a platform by leftist media to express his views against emotionally charged interviewers which has in turn created more interest in him?

And sorry, but I did say extreme leftist, not "anyone remotely to the left of the guys whose thoughts on Disney films are on par with Mike Pence.". That type of emotionally charged response is exactly what Peterson and his followers look for because it elevates them.

The impression I have is that the Media is maintaining Peterson's fame. Same as Milo, same as fucken' Ben Shapiro and any other supposedly intellectual right winger. The media supposedly hates these guys but yet they're on their channels, debating against less informed, emotionally invested people which makes these guys come off as intellectual...

Stop giving these people a platform beyond their own YouTube channels and they will settle into their own corner of their internet, along with the racists, Nazis and other hate groups.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I would like to take this moment to remind everyone that this two-bit lobster is still employed by one of Canada's most prestigious universities.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So you don't agree that he's been given a platform by leftist media to express his views against emotionally charged interviewers which has in turn created more interest in him?

And sorry, but I did say extreme leftist, not "anyone remotely to the left of the guys whose thoughts on Disney films are on par with Mike Pence.". That type of emotionally charged response is exactly what Peterson and his followers look for because it elevates them.

The impression I have is that the Media is maintaining Peterson's fame. Same as Milo, same as fucken' Ben Shapiro and any other supposedly intellectual right winger. The media supposedly hates these guys but yet they're on their channels, debating against less informed, emotionally invested people which makes these guys come off as intellectual...

Stop giving these people a platform beyond their own YouTube channels and they will settle into their own corner of their internet, along with the racists, Nazis and other hate groups.

There is no leftist media giving him a platform.

What are you talking about.

Oct 25, 2017
i sat through a peterson interview once at the behest of one of his supporters and wrote a long-winded response to it - they never responded

he writes exactly like i wrote when i was a teenager, trying to hide something that i felt burning emotions for behind the plausible deniability of overcomplicated language and drawing from disparate fields so no one person was likely to fully grasp the material - except i wrote primarily about not being able to express my sexuality and he writes primarily about not feeling respected enough as an authority figure

i'm pretty sure we've written the exact same paragraphs on ORDER and CHAOS, except we used them to justify opposite conclusions

except my weird non-sequitur metaphors were deliberately written as an absurdist joke that served to take the edge off of whatever i didn't feel comfortable expressing, and his seem to be played completely straight

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I think he hid it better than many. That allowed him to get invited more places.

I agree it seems people should be more careful about booking him and giving him unneeded exposure. Let him tweet to gamergate and ignore him.

I disagree that it's the left's fault. It's his fault, and the fault of his racist sexist transphobic followers who are funding him for lending their hateful idealogies the veneer of legitimacy.

It's always a battle of who to debate down with words, and who to deplatform. I think JP is pretty clearly disingenuous and should be deplatformed.

You're always gonna find people on the left who are willing to debate, either genuinely or as a punching bag, because $$$.

Last edited:

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No. You should stop reading Rebel articles or wherever you're getting this nonsense from.

Oct 25, 2017
  • "Meaning is manifestation of the divine individual adaptive path"
  • "Meaning is the ultimate balance between… the chaos of transformation and the possibility and…the discipline of pristine order"
  • "Meaning is an expression of the instinct that guides us out into the unknown so that we can conquer it"
  • "Meaning is when everything there is comes together in an ecstatic dance of single purpose"
  • "Meaning means implication for behavioral output"
  • "Meaning emerges from the interplay between the possibilities of the world and the value structure operating within that world"
i'm pretty sure i tortured high school essay graders with every single one of these sentences, except i took the path of looking to the future and advocating an existentialist outlook towards cultivating meaning whereas he took the path of looking to the past and advocating stagnation

and i graduated beyond using flowery metaphors to prove my points and into the realm of epistemology to more explicitly map out the cognitive processes i was referencing

Status
Not open for further replies.