Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
i'm fairly sure people have already explained the bill around 50 times to David Ricardo and he continously refuses to listen. He's honestly nothing but a troll. The conversations we're having here with him happened 20 or 30 pages ago and we're still on the same page. David Ricardo is either unable to read, unable to process information, or he's just a dumb troll. At this point i think it's the latter.

They're basically concern trolling at this point. Idk why anyone is still engaging with them.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I posted the above video without watching it. It's pretty good. This guy also pointed out how Peterson has looked to the wisdom of the devious fox for his oratory skills

David Ricardo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You realise that article agrees with everything I've said right? What she did wasn't against Bill C16, even if a University was a federal institution it still wouldn't be against Bill C16. University's can have their own policies, even if they base their policy off a butchered understanding of Bill C16, that's still their own policy - they're not using Bill C16. But that's not what happened anyway.

Nothing happened to Shepherd other than her accumulating a massive right wing following. It was a bunch of overblown drama.

The problem with her showing that video was that she didn't bother to unpack it. She treated it like another equal side of the debate, despite the contents of the video being factually wrong. Peterson's video shares more in line with a conspiracy theory than a logical side of a argument.

Part of being a university is filtering out garbage view points that don't represent the truth. You don't tend to show factually incorrect viewpoints from people outside of the field to students, you wouldn't show a video of a accountant spouting incorrect nonsense about how to preform surgery to a bunch of medical students. And present that video as just another side
The article talks about the consequences of showing a TVO video debate about pronouns to a class of students. That's not the same as what you were talking about, which was actually refusing to use a trans person chosen pronoun.

Do you have a link to the video she showed? I have the link to the full debate, but I don't know what part she did actually show to her classroom.

You do realize that even in this particular example, the most Shepard got was a reprimand by the university (which they retracted), which is rather far away from the "getting imprisoned on the first offense" that Peterson was fearmongering about, right?
To my knowledge, what Peterson said was that refusing to use a pronoun could be considered harassment, that they can fine you for that, if you don't pay the fine they can take you to a tribunal, and if you keep refusing to pay you could end up in jail. He was reaching but he wasn't obscure about it.

There was a similar law that was passed in New York City in 2015 that specifically mentioned 36 (or something to that effect) different genders. As far as I know, literally no one has been in trouble for misgendering someone since the bill was passed. In fact, I'm pretty sure hardly anyone in NYC is even aware this bill exists.
Petersons point isn't even about misgendering. It's about compelled speech, about forcing somebody to use a new gender neutral pronoun. That takes a very rare case to prove or disprove. It would take a gender neutral trans person asking a coworker to use a gender neutral pronoun, the coworker refusing and the trans person filing a human rights complaint because the coworker is refusing to use the genderless pronoun. Then, if the Ontario human rights commission fined the coworker for harassment, THAT would be compelled speech.

no you don't understand, you don't get to have "different views" about what a law entails

you can have a "different view" on whether or not you agree with a law and whether it accomplishes the goals underlying the intent to create the law, but you can't just pretend a law says something that it does not - that is called "being incorrect"

the interpretation of the law everyone cried about LITERALLY SAYS IN PLAIN ENGLISH that it DOES NOT LEGISLATE THE USAGE OF GENDER NEUTRAL PRONOUNS

because some people - and you don't have to look very hard to find them - think transgender people are "unnatural" and do not think they deserve to be treated with respect

and that is why people are creating strawmen of anti-discrimination laws, not because they cannot read at a grade school level, but because they are intentionally cultivating these false narratives

or maybe some of them really are that stupid, who knows
Look at these video from 22:25 to 23:35. This lawyer is talking in favor of bill c-16 and, if I am understanding it correctly, is also saying that a trans person with a non traditional pronoun would have a case in front of the Ontario Humans right commission.

i'm fairly sure people have already explained the bill around 50 times to David Ricardo and he continously refuses to listen. He's honestly nothing but a troll. The conversations we're having here with him happened 20 or 30 pages ago and we're still on the same page. David Ricardo is either unable to read, unable to process information, or he's just a dumb troll. At this point i think it's the latter.
Please take a look at the video above.

I also think it wouldn't hurt you if you took a look at this one:

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article talks about the consequences of showing a TVO video debate about pronouns to a class of students. That's not the same as what you were talking about, which was actually refusing to use a trans person chosen pronoun.

Do you have a link to the video she showed? I have the link to the full debate, but I don't know what part she did actually show to her classroom.

To my knowledge, what Peterson said was that refusing to use a pronoun could be considered harassment, that they can fine you for that, if you don't pay the fine they can take you to a tribunal, and if you keep refusing to pay you could end up in jail. He was reaching but he wasn't obscure about it.

Petersons point isn't even about misgendering. It's about compelled speech, about forcing somebody to use a new gender neutral pronoun. That takes a very rare case to prove or disprove. It would take a gender neutral trans person asking a coworker to use a gender neutral pronoun, the coworker refusing and the trans person filing a human rights complaint because the coworker is refusing to use the genderless pronoun. Then, if the Ontario human rights commission fined the coworker for harassment, THAT would be compelled speech.

Look at these video from 22:25 to 23:35. This lawyer is talking in favor of bill c-16 and, if I am understanding it correctly, is also saying that a trans person with a non traditional pronoun would have a case in front of the Ontario Humans right commission.

Please take a look at the video above.

I also think it wouldn't hurt you if you took a look at this one:

People already seen the videos you posted. People already throughly debunked them. You refuse to address that and just repeat what you've been repeating 30 pages ago.
You're honestly the perfect example of why it isn't useful to talk to you. You're like a brick wall.

David Ricardo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People already seen the videos you posted. People already throughly debunked them. You refuse to address that and just repeat what you've been repeating 30 pages ago.
You're honestly the perfect example of why it isn't useful to talk to you. You're like a brick wall.
We weren't talking pronouns 30 pages ago and this is the first time I link these videos in this thread.

I read what other people write and try to answer honestly and provide links that support what I say. You said earlier in the thread that Peterson constantly uses the term cultural marxism and constantly goes out of its way in his self help book to address specifically white males.
https://www.resetera.com/posts/6371814/
Could you please provide some evidence of him constantly using the term cultural marxism or tell me where in the book he goes out of his way to address white males so I can check it out myself?

Oct 25, 2017

what you keep failing to understand is that jordan peterson - and that lawyer too, in spite of his good intentions - are FACTUALLY INCORRECT

like i can't change the law just by saying "actually i think the law says this" - that is just not how the concept of laws operate

i could make an argument in a court case, but i wouldn't get very far citing c-16 or the tribunal's interpretation because

"THE LAW IS OTHERWISE UNSETTLED AS TO WHETHER SOMEONE CAN INSIST ON ANY ONE GENDER-NEUTRAL PRONOUN IN PARTICULAR"

this is a direct quote from the interpretation of the law used by tribunals you are claiming force people to use gender neutral pronouns

is there any word in that sentence that you need for me to define for you? do you genuinely not comprehend what that means?

since you clearly didn't read last time, i'm gonna post the other sections of the interpretation that will probably debunk anything you try to say after this

"Gender-neutral pronouns may not be well known. Some people may not know how to determine what pronoun to use. Others may feel uncomfortable using gender-neutral pronouns. Generally, when in doubt, ask a person how they wish to be addressed. Use "they" if you don't know which pronoun is preferred. Simply referring to the person by their chosen name is always a respectful approach. - that interpretation even addresses common concerns with gender-neutral pronouns and even takes into account that some people may feel uncomfortable using them

"Other important considerations are the vulnerability of the group affected by the speech, and the degree of impact on their ability to access employment, services and housing on an equal basis." - the interpretation clearly indicates that this legislation is targeted at addressing discrimination against trans people in accessing employment, services, and housing

"A court that imposes a sentence shall also take into consideration the following principles:
(a) a sentence should be increased or reduced to account for any relevant aggravating or mitigating circumstances relating to the offence or the offender, and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing,
(i) evidence that the offence was motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, or any other similar factor."
- any sentencing is related to explicitly making someone feel unwelcome in the workplace to the degree that there is conclusive evidence

its the same as any other anti-discrimination law (because it is literally the same anti-discrimination law), and you sound exactly like the sort of person who bitches that banning racial slurs in the workplace means no one will know what to call different races

do you think that a co-worker saying that they won't stop referring to a black worker by the n-word is okay? do you think banning it in the workplace is forced speech? you're reaching for the most abstract case you can think of and ignoring the text of the bill and its interpretation to make imaginary hypotheticals and slippery slope arguments

let me give you a real world example of the amendment to c-16 being cited:

that case brought up misgendering as evidence that a transgender person was refused medical service (who died because of being refused that medical service) because of prejudice

in fact, 33% of a sample size of 20,000 transgender people report having been denied medical care because they are trans - https://transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/usts/USTS-Executive-Summary-Dec17.pdf

real people are suffering, and here you spinning ridiculous hypotheticals because are unable to read a single sentence

when its written clear as day

"THE LAW IS OTHERWISE UNSETTLED AS TO WHETHER SOMEONE CAN INSIST ON ANY ONE GENDER-NEUTRAL PRONOUN IN PARTICULAR"

you are very clearly not reading what i am writing, or are just failing to understand it in some way

Last edited:

Oversoul

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
I have to say, the chapter about rule 9 (assume the person you are listening to knows something you don't) is a very enjoyable read. It's mostly stories about Petersons clinical practice and the choices he makes during those conversations. It's almost no politics and religion.

The book in general is better when it doesn't try to shoehorn Christianity into every page.

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
I gave a point by point argument about how someone could link Peterson to fascism and no one even cared! Some activists you all are. Hopefully Oblivion reads it at least.

David Ricardo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what you keep failing to understand is that jordan peterson - and that lawyer too, in spite of his good intentions - are FACTUALLY INCORRECT

like i can't change the law just by saying "actually i think the law says this" - that is just not how the concept of laws operate

i could make an argument in a court case, but i wouldn't get very far citing c-16 or the tribunal's interpretation because

this is a direct quote from the interpretation of the law used by tribunals you are claiming force people to use gender neutral pronouns

is there any word in that sentence that you need for me to define for you? do you genuinely not comprehend what that means?

since you clearly didn't read last time, i'm gonna post the other sections of the interpretation that will probably debunk anything you try to say after this

"Gender-neutral pronouns may not be well known. Some people may not know how to determine what pronoun to use. Others may feel uncomfortable using gender-neutral pronouns. Generally, when in doubt, ask a person how they wish to be addressed. Use "they" if you don't know which pronoun is preferred. Simply referring to the person by their chosen name is always a respectful approach. - that interpretation even addresses common concerns with gender-neutral pronouns and even takes into account that some people may feel uncomfortable using them

"Other important considerations are the vulnerability of the group affected by the speech, and the degree of impact on their ability to access employment, services and housing on an equal basis." - the interpretation clearly indicates that this legislation is targeted at addressing discrimination against trans people in accessing employment, services, and housing

"A court that imposes a sentence shall also take into consideration the following principles:
(a) a sentence should be increased or reduced to account for any relevant aggravating or mitigating circumstances relating to the offence or the offender, and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing,
(i) evidence that the offence was motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, or any other similar factor."
- any sentencing is related to explicitly making someone feel unwelcome in the workplace to the degree that there is conclusive evidence

its the same as any other anti-discrimination law (because it is literally the same anti-discrimination law), and you sound exactly like the sort of person who bitches that banning racial slurs in the workplace means no one will know what to call different races

do you think that a co-worker saying that they won't stop referring to a black worker by the n-word is okay? do you think banning it in the workplace is forced speech? you're reaching for the most abstract case you can think of and ignoring the text of the bill and its interpretation to make imaginary hypotheticals and slippery slope arguments

let me give you a real world example of the amendment to c-16 being cited:

that case brought up misgendering as evidence that a transgender person was refused medical service (who died because of being refused that medical service) because of prejudice

in fact, 33% of a sample size of 20,000 transgender people report having been denied medical care because they are trans - https://transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/usts/USTS-Executive-Summary-Dec17.pdf

real people are suffering, and here you spinning ridiculous hypotheticals because are unable to read a single sentence

when its written clear as day

you are very clearly not reading what i am writing, or are just failing to understand it in some way

I am reading what you are writing. And I noticed you didn't quote certain sentence of the interpretation. The one bolded in the first paragraph I quoted:

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/questions-and-answers-about-gender-identity-and-pronouns#_edn2

"Refusing to refer to a trans person by their chosen name and a personal pronoun that matches their gender identity, or purposely misgendering, will likely be discrimination when it takes place in a social area covered by the Code, including employment, housing and services like education. The law is otherwise unsettled as to whether someone can insist on any one gender-neutral pronoun in particular."

"Gender-neutral pronouns may not be well known. Some people may not know how to determine what pronoun to use. Others may feel uncomfortable using gender-neutral pronouns. Generally, when in doubt, ask a person how they wish to be addressed. Use "they" if you don't know which pronoun is preferred.[2] Simply referring to the person by their chosen name is always a respectful approach."

The way I read the bolded parts, refusing to use a specific pronoun might be discrimination.

Remember that what we are discussing here is whether it is reasonable for Peterson to think that the way this is written, you might be forced to use one of the new non gendered pronouns.

We are not talking about using racial slurs (strawman) or denying transgender people medical service (false dilemma). That was never in the conversation.

I have to say, the chapter about rule 9 (assume the person you are listening to knows something you don't) is a very enjoyable read. It's mostly stories about Petersons clinical practice and the choices he makes during those conversations. It's almost no politics and religion.

The book in general is better when it doesn't try to shoehorn Christianity into every page.

Earlier in the thread I read some accusations about Peterson going out of his way to mention specific white male issues in the book. Did you find any of that?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I am reading what you are writing. And I noticed you didn't quote certain sentence of the interpretation. The one bolded in the first paragraph I quoted:

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/questions-and-answers-about-gender-identity-and-pronouns#_edn2

"Refusing to refer to a trans person by their chosen name and a personal pronoun that matches their gender identity, or purposely misgendering, will likely be discrimination when it takes place in a social area covered by the Code, including employment, housing and services like education. The law is otherwise unsettled as to whether someone can insist on any one gender-neutral pronoun in particular."

"Gender-neutral pronouns may not be well known. Some people may not know how to determine what pronoun to use. Others may feel uncomfortable using gender-neutral pronouns. Generally, when in doubt, ask a person how they wish to be addressed. Use "they" if you don't know which pronoun is preferred.[2] Simply referring to the person by their chosen name is always a respectful approach."

The way I read the bolded parts, refusing to use a specific pronoun might be discrimination.

Remember that what we are discussing here is whether it is reasonable for Peterson to think that the way this is written, you might be forced to use one of the new non gendered pronouns.

We are not talking about using racial slurs (strawman) or denying transgender people medical service (false dilemma). That was never in the conversation.

oh, you noticed that? ah, well now i know you don't read, because that's the same exact fucking sentence i wrote a thousand words about

instead of linking you to a long post for the third time, i'm going to quote the entire thing

actually, jordan peterson is just factually incorrect about c-16 in a way that would be blatantly obvious if he read the actual laws and interpretations he is referring to

first of all, c-16 is not "an attempt at government overreach based on flawed logic/research"

to prove it to you, i will cite the entire text of c-16

"gender identity or expression gender identity or expression gender identity or expression or gender identity or expression on"

those are all of the words in c-16, all eighteen of them

all the bill does is amend existing anti-discrimination laws - which already include "sex" and "sexual orientation" as protected categories - by adding the phrase "gender identity or expression" four times

something that a coherent complaint could potentially is with the ontario human right's campaign webpage's interpretation, which says "Refusing to refer to a trans person by their chosen name and a personal pronoun that matches their gender identity, or purposely misgendering, will likely be discrimination when it takes place in a social area covered by the Code, including employment, housing and services like education. The law is otherwise unsettled as to whether someone can insist on any one gender-neutral pronoun in particular." WOW IT IS THAT EXACT SENTENCE, LOOK AT IT AND THE WORDS I WROTE EXPLAINING IT

people have misinterpreted this to mean that people are "forced to use preferred pronouns", but they are performing some rhetorical sleight of hand here to obfuscate the truth - people are "forced to use preferred pronouns" in the same sense as they are "forced to not repeatedly refer to minority coworkers as slurs"

first of all, the first word is REFUSING, which means that already in this scenario we've ruled out the common strawman of "people going to jail for accidentally misgendering someone" - this interpretation refers to the scenario in which someone says "hey, please do not call me that, it is very hurtful" and someone decides that they are going continue calling that person something hurtful

later on the word PURPOSELY is used, which takes this even further that accidentally misgendering someone is clearly not what the law is talking about

next up we have a phrase, WILL LIKELY BE DISCRIMINATION WHEN IT TAKES PLACE IN A SOCIAL AREA COVERED BY THE CODE, INCLUDING EMPLOYMENT, HOUSING AND SERVICES LIKE EDUCATION - which demonstrates that the intent is not punish random people for accidentally misgendering people or even making dumb edgy jokes, but rather to expand pre-existing anti-discrimination law that pertains to employment, housing, and education to include another category

this should be self-evident, since it is an interpretation of a bill adding eighteen words- most of which are the same four word phrase repeated four times - to existing discrimination legislation

next up is a whole sentence, THE LAW IS OTHERWISE UNSETTLED AS TO WHETHER SOMEONE CAN INSIST ON ANY ONE GENDER-NEUTRAL PRONOUN IN PARTICULAR

wow, it turns out that the interpretation of the law that has people up in arms explicitly says that it is unsettled on whether someone can insist on a particular gender-neutral pronoun

that was the biggest part of the controversy and the law actually says in it that there is no ruling on that matter, and therefore the hysterics about being charged for not using gender-neutral pronouns is especially hilarious given that the law itself says that there is nothing in the law saying that people can insist on a particular gender-neutral pronoun

but wait, there's more! let's take a closer look to the "sentencing" people are so concerned about:
(i) evidence that the offence was motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, or any other similar factor"

EVIDENCE THAT THE OFFENCE WAS MOTIVATED BY BIAS, PREJUDICE OR HATE - so it turns out that the law once again explicitly states that sentencing is based on evidence that there was demonstrably intent to cause distress

hey, here's part of the interpretation to the law directed at the fact that people are unaware of gender-neutral pronounds - Gender-neutral pronouns may not be well known. Some people may not know how to determine what pronoun to use. Others may feel uncomfortable using gender-neutral pronouns. Generally, when in doubt, ask a person how they wish to be addressed. Use "they" if you don't know which pronoun is preferred. Simply referring to the person by their chosen name is always a respectful approach. - turns out that the law even explicit says THAT, which is just another example that the law is not meant to frivilously charge people for their ignorance

let's keep going - Other important considerations are the vulnerability of the group affected by the speech, and the degree of impact on their ability to access employment, services and housing on an equal basis. - another line demonstrating that this bill (which is an amendment to existing law about discrimination in access to employment, services and housing) is about discrimination in access to employment, services and housing

peterson's interpretation is FALSE, and anyone who says that this is government overreach either doesn't know what they are talking about or has wider issues with existing anti-discrimination laws that had nothing to do with trans people when they were created

ironically, to use your words, peterson attacked a caricature that existed in his head instead of the actual law

actually, you know what, i should address that "Obviously this resonated with an audience because we, and thousands of others, talking about him today" line to say that, yes, this DID resonate with an audience and many people ARE talking about it, which is why i'm so frustrated that so many people are being convinced of something that is BLATANTLY UNTRUE

the last thing i fucking need is some pseudointellectual who writes like i did in high school - peterson isn't the only one to figure out that angsting about ORDER and CHAOS through extended metaphors that hop between fields is a good way to be seen as Smart - rallying up a bunch of people about how trans activists are supposedly trying to restrict their freedom of speech because they have hurt feelings

and yeah, it did resonate with so many people because shockingly, the public has negative opinions about trans people! and an easy way to gain notoriety is to target them! (though societal views of trans people are improving, which is appreciable)

that's the appeal to popularity fallacy right there, on top of it all - "a bunch of people didn't read this law, how could they all be wrong?"

i'd appreciate a response to this from you, when you have time, of course

never did get a response on it, haha

but hey, do you recognize a certain sentence? you seem to have failed to read the part you didn't bold

i'll just write it out for you again

The law is otherwise unsettled as to whether someone can insist on any one gender-neutral pronoun in particular

so, once again, it is unreasonable to conclude that this law will force peterson to use a gender-neutral pronoun, because it clearly says right there that the law does not mandate the usage of gender-neutral pronouns - you literally copied the sentence, you must have read it at this point

using racial slurs as an example isn't a strawman, it is an analogy to a similar situation covered by the exact same law

how is denying transgender people medical care an example of a false dilemma? i brought up that case to show what c-16 actually legislates and how the pronoun part of the interpretation is actually applied

since you like fallacies, i'm going to call you out on moving the goalpoints - we've shifted from "is it true that c-16 legislates this" to "is it reasonable for peterson to misunderstand this law"

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Refusing" in this context refers to doing something actively. What the bill basically says is that if you know someone uses a particular pronoun but you actively refuse to use it, then that's being discriminatory because you then refuse to accept their identity. And yeah, if someone tells you that they prefer to use a particular pronoun yet you insist on calling them a "he" or "she" when they do not identify with those pronouns is, then yeah, you are being forced to use their preferred pronouns OR use the entirely neutral "they". Just how you're forced to refer to women as "she/her" and men as "he/him" in the context of work, education, housing, etc. Knowingly misgendering a cis-gender person would also constitute harassment so it makes complete sense that doing so to a transgender person should also follow the same logic.

A boss calling a woman who he believes has masculine features as a "he/him" or calling an effeminate man a "she/her", especially when neither of them are comfortable with being called by those pronouns is harassment. You can joke all you want in your private space but you should not be doing so in a professional environment, whether it be work, school, or in business dealings, including housing.

And as I said, you can still use "THEY/THEM", which is entirely neutral.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

Earlier in the thread I read some accusations about Peterson going out of his way to mention specific white male issues in the book. Did you find any of that?

Okay, what you're doing right now is literally against the rules of this forum. You're completely ignoring the multiple well-explained posts in here completely debunking your thoughts on bill c-16, and rebutting them with the exact same "but actually..."

Also, you can't just start quoting logical fallacies as a rebuttal to someone's argument without actually explaining why you think that person's argument was a logical fallacy! Both of the examples Slanos used were directly related to the bill, which made them relevant to the conversation.

Tbh I'm genuinely surprised you haven't been warned by a mod yet for brick walling this conversation. People aren't even responding to Kristoffer's excellent post above because they're too busy trying to get you to wrap your head around some simple wording in a bill.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Refusing" in this context refers to doing something actively. What the bill basically says is that if you know someone uses a particular pronoun but you actively refuse to use it, then that's being discriminatory because you then refuse to accept their identity. And yeah, if someone tells you that they prefer to use a particular pronoun yet you insist on calling them a "he" or "she" when they do not identify with those pronouns is, then yeah, you are being forced to use their preferred pronouns OR use the entirely neutral "they". Just how you're forced to refer to women as "she/her" and men as "he/him" in the context of work, education, housing, etc. Knowingly misgendering a cis-gender person would also constitute harassment so it makes complete sense that doing so to a transgender person should also follow the same logic.

A boss calling a woman who he believes has masculine features as a "he/him" or calling an effeminate man a "she/her", especially when neither of them are comfortable with being called by those pronouns is harassment. You can joke all you want in your private space but you should not be doing so in a professional environment, whether it be work, school, or in business dealings, including housing.

The bill does not in fact say that actively refusing to use a person's preferred pronoun is discrimination. That's how the OHRC might interpret it, but the OHRC is not the final authority.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that Peterson has become a thing and I hate that this thread has to exist because his very existence and presence on the web annoys me to no end.
I think from the first or second viewing of him talking just shows he's a sophisticated gishgalloper (focuses on overwhelming one's opponent with as many arguments as possible, without regard for accuracy or strength of the arguments). By sophisticated, I mean that what he says "seems reasonable" in point by point basis, but then you're realizing he's just weaving a web around his moronic framework of how he was reality to be and at some point if you keep letting him weave his moron stories around his points you will fall into his blackhole surrounded by his "logic". Well actually, that's not true. Most people DON'T realize that this is what he is doing, which is why he is able to ensnare so much mindshare. He's a slippery spider of a man.

That he is able to seduce vulnerable young men (and whoever is sympathetic to his cause) with dumb as rocks common sense things (clean your room, take responsibility!) while not at all deciding to take responsibility himself for his own influence and mayhem is another part of his poisonous scheme. He knows exactly what he is doing or he is a useful and utterly naive fool for the alt-right, and none of these things are redeemable to me, so I hope his day comes when it all bites him in the ass and he loses everything. /bile

David Ricardo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
oh, you noticed that? ah, well now i know you don't read, because that's the same exact fucking sentence i wrote a thousand words about

instead of linking you to a long post for the third time, i'm going to quote the entire thing

never did get a response on it, haha

but hey, do you recognize a certain sentence? you seem to have failed to read the part you didn't bold

i'll just write it out for you again

The law is otherwise unsettled as to whether someone can insist on any one gender-neutral pronoun in particular

so, once again, it is unreasonable to conclude that this law will force peterson to use a gender-neutral pronoun, because it clearly says right there that the law does not mandate the usage of gender-neutral pronouns - you literally copied the sentence, you must have read it at this point

using racial slurs as an example isn't a strawman, it is an analogy to a similar situation covered by the exact same law

how is denying transgender people medical care an example of a false dilemma? i brought up that case to show what c-16 actually legislates and how the pronoun part of the interpretation is actually applied

since you like fallacies, i'm going to call you out on moving the goalpoints - we've shifted from "is it true that c-16 legislates this" to "is it reasonable for peterson to misunderstand this law"
You are right, I hadn't read that post you just quoted. I am sorry. But I disagree in your interpretation. Let's quote the same paragraphs one final time:

In your explanation of the first paragraph, you assimilated "refusing to refer to a trans person by their chosen name and a personal pronoun that matches their gender identity..." to actually using a wrong pronoun. That's not the case we are talking about. We are talking about refusing to use the personal pronoun period. Just using the persons name or avoiding the use of personal pronouns altogether. Seeing the wording in the first paragraph, do you think that would be allowed? Or do you think the second sentence of that paragraph, the one you quoted a thousand times, cancels the "personal pronoun" part of the first sentence? Do you think the second paragraph indicates you can just use the persons name and avoid the use of personal pronouns altogether? Wouldn't there be a case for discrimination if a coworker used personal pronouns for everybody but those who had a non gendered pronoun?

The way I see the racial slur as a strawman:
Petersons point: I don't want to say words I don't believe in.
Strawman: Peterson wants to say any words he likes.
Beating the strawman: If Peterson said any words he likes he could use racial slurs with his coworkers and that wouldn't be appropriate.

The way I see the false dilemma fallacy:
Petersons point: Passing bill c-16 (supposedly) includes compelled speech in legislation.
False dilemma: If we don't pass Bill c-16 trans people could be discriminated by being denied medical assistance.
Alternative option: Bill C-16 could have been passed with an ammendment allowing to avoid the enforced use of non gendered pronouns in certain cases AND still protecting trans gender peoples rights to medical assistance.

To the moving goal posts accusation: I don't think ever argued it was factually true that the bill introduced free speech. I just said there are various lawyers, not all from the right side of the political spectrum, that think you could be fined for refusing to use certain pronouns. I was arguing that in opposition to many opinions here stating that the law makes it perfectly clear that is not the case.

I don't think it's so self evident. Even some lawyers are supposedly misinterpreting it.

I don't think anybody would oppose to this.

Okay, what you're doing right now is literally against the rules of this forum. You're completely ignoring the multiple well-explained posts in here completely debunking your thoughts on bill c-16, and rebutting them with the exact same "but actually..."

Also, you can't just start quoting logical fallacies as a rebuttal to someone's argument without actually explaining why you think that person's argument was a logical fallacy! Both of the examples Slanos used were directly related to the bill, which made them relevant to the conversation.

Tbh I'm genuinely surprised you haven't been warned by a mod yet for brick walling this conversation. People aren't even responding to Kristoffer's excellent post above because they're too busy trying to get you to wrap your head around some simple wording in a bill.
I already explained the logical fallacies. And if you read my comments up here, I think it would be reasonable for you to concede that there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on what the actual effects of the law are at this point in time.

Last edited:

Oversoul

Banned
Dec 20, 2017

I don't think the term "white" is even mentioned once in the book (so far).

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the term "white" is even mentioned once in the book (so far).

There are multiple mentions of race and gender (especially gender) throughout the book, I guess "white men" isn't mentioned explicitly... Well... aside from this

The strong turn towards political correctness in universities has exacerbated the problem. The voices shouting against oppression have become louder, it seems, in precise proportion to how equal—even now increasingly skewed against men—the schools have become. There are whole disciplines in universities forthrightly hostile towards men. These are the areas of study, dominated by the postmodern/neo-Marxist claim that Western culture, in particular, is an oppressive structure, created by white men to dominate and exclude women (and other select groups); successful only because of that domination and exclusion.187.

He goes on and on about justifying oppressive structures because they've always been there.

Shortly after..

the recent technological revolutions, including the invention of the birth control pill. At least such things might be taken into account, before the assumption that men tyrannized women is accepted as a truism.
It looks to me like the so-called oppression of the patriarchy was instead an imperfect collective attempt by men and women, stretching over millennia, to free each other from privation, disease and drudgery.
the recent technological revolutions, including the invention of the birth control. pill. At least such things might be taken into account, before the assumption that men tyrannized women is accepted as a truism.
It looks to me like the so-called oppression of the patriarchy was instead an imperfect collective attempt by men and women, stretching over millennia, to free each other from privation, disease and drudgery. . .

(talks about the history of the birth pill and tampon )

. Did Muruganantham, Simpson and Haas oppress women, or free them? What about Gregory Goodwin Pincus, who invented the birth control pill? In what manner were these practical, enlightened, persistent men part of a constricting patriarchy?
Why do we teach our young people that our incredible culture is the result of male oppression? Blinded by this central assumption disciplines as diverse as education, social work, art history, gender studies, literature, sociology and, increasingly, law actively treat men as oppressors and men's activity as inherently destructive.

Hey women hear that! You can't be oppressed, men made you Tampons and birth pills. You're welcome!!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I gave a point by point argument about how someone could link Peterson to fascism and no one even cared! Some activists you all are. Hopefully Oblivion reads it at least.

I read it and appreciated it, but I should have indicated so. I get frustrated too when I perceive that people are ignoring posts I worked hard on. It was a very insightful post! It's a shame that I'm wasting my time on people who don't read instead of engaging more with you.

Ricardo, once again I've already explained that, and will do so again when I have more time.

Your suggestion that bill c-16 include text that specifically says it does not govern the usage of specific gender neutral pronouns is hilarious in that I've pointed you to the line that specifically does exactly that many times. I will address your other wilfull understandings later.

You even admit that you aren't even arguing whether or not your claim is true. You're strawmanning an anti-discriminatuon law and saying "but wouldn't it be reasonable to believe this strawmanning"?

I don't think dismantling the rest of your poor logic will actually change your mind, since you admit that you aren't arguing about the truth of a claim, but rather whether you can find any shred of doubt to use with the intent of framing an anti-discrimination law which specifically addresses your concern as "forcing speech". But I'll do it anyways.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
David Ricardo

"Refusing to refer to a trans person by their chosen name and a personal pronoun that matches their gender identity, or purposely misgendering,"

you see that first comma, between "identity" and "or", that i highlighted in red?

it isn't signifying part of a list like using "and" would - rather, it presents the phrase "purposefully misgendering" as a semantic handle for the idea of "Refusing to refer to a trans person by their chosen name and a personal pronoun that matches their gender identity"

therefore, your claim that c-16 requires the usage of a pronoun and that it is discrimination to only use a person's name is ludicrous without even taking into account that the law recommends doing that a sentence later

the case that sentence covers is "purposefully misgendering" as it applies to creating a hostile environment which restricts ewual access to employment, housing, and heathcare

not using a pronoun at all is not "purposeful misgendering", and is in fact recommended for the case where people like peterson are made uncomfortable by the idea of a gender-neutral singular pronoun

you can figure that out by reading where it says that

the rest comes later

David Ricardo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sianos, stop writing. That is enough. If we agree on the meaning of that sentence, then we can end the bill c-16 conversation. I will write my answer in a few minutes.

"Refusing to refer to a trans person by their chosen name and a personal pronoun that matches their gender identity, or purposely misgendering, will likely be discrimination..."
So, in your understanding, this sentence means that it's only discrimination if you use a wrong pronoun (purposely misgendering). But it's totally ok to refuse to use the gender identity matching pronoun as long as you don't use a wrong one. Agree?

That's a yes or no question. We could end this conversation right here.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sianos, stop writing. That is enough. If we agree on the meaning of that sentence, then we can end the bill c-16 conversation. I will write my answer in a few minutes.

"Refusing to refer to a trans person by their chosen name and a personal pronoun that matches their gender identity, or purposely misgendering, will likely be discrimination..."
So, in your understanding, this sentence means that it's only discrimination if you use a wrong pronoun (purposely misgendering). But it's totally ok to refuse to use the gender identity matching pronoun as long as you don't use a wrong one. Agree?

That's a yes or no question. We could end this conversation right here.

Yes, that is exactly true.

Beyond that, even using the wrong pronoun is only discrimination in the case where there is evidence that is wilfull - that it is being done with the intention of making someone feel unwelcome based on their gender identity.

It is difficult to prove such a claim, and proving such a claim necessitates citing other discriminatory behavior to use as evidence that the continual misgendering was itentional.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The pronoun apocalypse that Peterson feared was nothing but a dream because he can't read and you shouldn't rely on a psychologist's opinion of a law when an actual organization full of lawyers says it's A-OK

David Ricardo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, that is exactly true.

Beyond that, even using the wrong pronoun is only discrimination in the case where there is evidence that is wilfull - that it is being done with the intention of making someone feel unwelcome based on their gender identity.

It is difficult to prove such a claim, and proving such a claim necessitates citing other discriminatory behavior to use as evidence that the continual misgendering was itentional.
Ok, my interpretation of that sentence is different but that doesn't change the fact that our conversation is over. I don't think any brick wall any of us writes will change the opinion of the other. At least we know exactly where we differ.

Please don't write another brick wall, just 2 or 3 other members agreeing with your interpretation of that sentence will suffice.

The pronoun apocalypse that Peterson feared was nothing but a dream because he can't read and you shouldn't rely on a psychologist's opinion of a law when an actual organization full of lawyers says it's A-OK
So you agree with Sianos interpretation of that OHRC sentence in my last post?

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Ok, my interpretation of that sentence is different but that doesn't change the fact that our conversation is over. I don't think any brick wall any of us writes will change the opinion of the other. At least we know exactly where we differ.

Please don't write another brick wall, just 2 or 3 other members agreeing with your interpretation of that sentence will suffice.

So you can use they/them or their name

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I agree with the Canadian Bar Association on it. They are the actual legal experts. Listen to them.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with the Canadian Bar Association on it. They are the actual legal experts. Listen to them.

Of course you shouldn't listen to them! They stand to gain from litigation and uncertainty on this matter! It's a conspiracy!

I'm sorry. I don't have anything further to add to this ridiculous conversation but sarcasm and jokes.

Oct 26, 2017
Me reentering this thread to see why it keeps popping up on page one of OT:
giphy.gif

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep referring to some non legally binding article on the HRC website and not the bill itself? The bill plus the definition we have on discrimination provided by the Supreme Court AND the Canadian Bar Association (the organisation that decides who becomes lawyers) saying misgendering won't get you in trouble should be more than enough. But no, people keep going back to this one non legally binding article on the HRC, probably written by an intern that... Wait for it... STILL doesn't even say that misgendering gets you in trouble!!
It's literally a conspiracy theory

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep referring to some non legally binding article on the HRC website and not the bill itself? The bill plus the definition we have on discrimination provided by the Supreme Court AND the Canadian Bar Association (the organisation that decides who becomes lawyers) saying misgendering won't get you in trouble should be more than enough. But no, people keep going back to this one non legally binding article on the HRC, probably written by an intern that... Wait for it... STILL doesn't even say that misgendering gets you in trouble!!
It's literally a conspiracy theory

It's the literal definition of concern trolling. When a whole host of people collectively debunk your point with objective evidence and you still refuse to concede, you aren't "just disagreeing." You're actively undermining the conversation and derailing otherwise productive discussion.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because David Ricardo is so worried that it'll be illegal (it's won't) to not refer transgenders to their chosen name and gender, I propose we stand behind his viewpoint.

From now on, we shall call David Ricardo, "Fucker McFartface." Oh and refer to her as she because... hey 1st Amendment, you crazy Canadians!

You know, freedom of speech and all that shit.

Dear God, I hope people see my point lol

David Ricardo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because David Ricardo is so worried that it'll be illegal (it's won't) to not refer transgenders to their chosen name and gender, I propose we stand behind his viewpoint.

From now on, we shall call David Ricardo, "Fucker McFartface." Oh and refer to her as she because... hey 1st Amendment, you crazy Canadians!

You know, freedom of speech and all that shit.

Dear God, I hope people see my point lol
Here I explain why your point is a strawman:
Beating the strawman: If Peterson said any words he likes he could use racial slurs with his coworkers and that wouldn't be appropriate.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Look dude, just refer to a transperson as his/her pronoun and name he/she wants to go buy.

Don't be a dick. It's not that bloody hard. It's called good manners.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Watched half of the video, now im not native english speaker so just to clarify I understood it right:

JP/society expects women to leave their careers to be moms, fair point. There is other assumptions like that in general from JP I haven't really paid attention before. However did he say "biology could be altered", what does he mean by this? Is he also saying estrogen/testosterone has nothing to do with anything and there, in general, is no difference in men/women personality traits? Everything is a social construction and there simply isn't anything biologically different between men/women (other than physical) in general population?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Here I explain why your point is a strawman:

How hard is it to just not be a dick, dude.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Our point and one of the points of C-16 because Peterson can't read: you can avoid using pronouns by using the persons name. Fucking simple.

Watched half of the video, now im not native english speaker so just to clarify I understood it right:

JP/society expects women to leave their careers to be moms, fair point. There is other assumptions like that in general from JP I haven't really paid attention before. However did he say "biology could be altered", what does he mean by this? Is he also saying estrogen/testosterone has nothing to do with anything and there, in general, is no difference in men/women personality traits? Everything is a social construction and there simply isn't anything biologically different between men/women (other than physical) in general population?
I think he means it could be altered through evolution and only through evolution. If he argues that something is biological then it would take thousands or millions of years. He doesn't want the differences to be sociological because then we could change it and he doesn't want that.

David Ricardo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look dude, just refer to a transperson as his/her pronoun and name he/she wants to go buy.

Don't be a dick. It's not that bloody hard. It's called good manners.
I already said in this thread that I would be happy to refer to a trans person by the name and pronoun this person preferred. What we were talking about was whether Peterson has a point that it is possible that this bill could have been used as a backdoor to introduce compelled speech in Canadian law.

Regarding your "good manners" comment, I would recommend you to practice what you preach.

Peterson believes both biology and socialization have an influence on people. He is against the social constructionist world view and he doesn't think you can change biology, so I think you didn't get it right. I recommend you watch videos at normal speed that are not edited by a hater if you want to understand what he says.

Just search peterson + name of the topic on youtube and you will know what his views on that topic are.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
We've reached a new low, after posting hours long vids to make a point.
Now the argument is "go do a Google search" and do a month long report on everything you find?

Status
Not open for further replies.