• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That was word for word the logic that leads to nonsense like "all lives matter" as a reactionary response to "black lives matter".

"We should care about marginalized groups" does not mean "we shouldn't care about non-marginalized groups", it means "people are being marginalized so let's work to undo that marginalization".

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know I'm in the minority on this forum but I find this way of thinking to be the complete opposite of the philosophy MLK preached - judging individuals based on their character/values as opposed to their skin color/group identity

Well, MLK was also pushing for civil rights for black people. He was literally engaging in identity politics. The ideal is that each person should be treated individually, but that isn't the case. Minorities are treated worse due to the color of their skin. The trans community is treated worse due to their sexual identity. And so on.

Oct 26, 2017
I would argue that you are mistaking focus for exclusion. Notice that this list does not say that male or white individuals should be excluded or prevented from being elected. The point of the tweet - as I interpret it - is to continue a long-running recognition that people of these identities do not typically get into office and are judged unfairly, as many studies have proved time and time again. Therefore, the effort - hamfisted as it arguably may be - is to simply raise recognition and argue that individuals with these identities and traits should not be prevented from being elected just because they have those identities or traits.
Yup. Identity politics isn't about exclusion. It's about signalling to the majority that many are left out of and/or behind in everyday society.

Nov 2, 2017
Peterson answered that AMA question just fine. I actually don't have a problem with a lot of it, if you allow the premise that Postmodernism is even a thing (I typically don't). But the notion that Postmodernism as he defines it (radical skepticism) leaves its doctors without ethic is bullshit. People can exercise radical skepticism in thought and pragmatically exercise restraint in the context of the human experience (see: Free Will).

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Why does the skin color of the individual matter when it comes to their views on healthcare, for example?
Why indeed? It's been widely observed that different races receive different qualities of medical treatment. Certainly a perspective of a maligned group may have a valuable perspective in this?

More to the point: you cannot excise the context of that tweet. The majority of all elected representatives of the US are old white men. As representatives in a society where race and gender still matter, the vast gulf in representation is an issue that needs addressing. When we live in a society that treats its citizens equally, then we won't have to worry about the color and orientation of those we elect.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't like how it puts individuals into groups and gives them value based off of their group identity. I think it's a dangerous philosophy because it gives people value based on immutable characteristics.

A great example of this is this tweet by the DNC:

I really don't care what color or sexual orientation a person is, I care about what policies they are advocating for and what their values are. And notice who's missing from the list - men, asians, and whites. Should we not elect more people from these groups? Should we value a black woman's politics over a white woman's politics simply because they are black? Why does the skin color of the individual matter when it comes to their views on healthcare, for example?

I know I'm in the minority on this forum but I find this way of thinking to be the complete opposite of the philosophy MLK preached - judging individuals based on their character/values as opposed to their skin color/group identity

USER ACTIVATES MLK TRAP CARD

There are people in this country who don't ever get represented by their representatives, electing people of color and minority groups to office gives people the proper representation they deserve

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To believe in the right's "idpol" bullshit is to believe that we already live in an absolute meritocracy and that everyone who reaches the station they do in life did so through fair, purely meritocratic means and therefore any challenge to the current social balance is a challenge to the concept of meritocracy itself.

Which is absolutely bullshit. There's piles and piles of studies to cite with regards to discrimination in hiring, in wages, in health care, in incarceration, in law enforcement, and so on and so forth, and almost no evidence of true "meritocracy" other than gut feelings from a privileged group.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sadly they're not the only people on this forum who think that same way. Our responses aren't just for ultra but for a lot of lurkers who need to hear the same things
What's funny is that we've had the same argument many, many times already in this thread and they always hit the same beats, although MLK got trotted out pretty fast.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i always find hilarious the brainless morons that think Peterson is great for "sticking it to identity politics"

the dude does literally nothing but spew identity politics literally every day. Even his supposed "self help" book is full of it. You have to be a special kind of stupid to miss it.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
i always find hilarious the brainless morons that think Peterson is great for "sticking it to identity politics"

the dude does literally nothing but spew identity politics literally every day. Even his supposed "self help" book is full of it. You have to be a special kind of stupid to miss it.

Yes, but you see, it's identity politics they agree with, and not identity politics that they disagree with or the kind that makes them uncomfortable.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah telling that men fail more and that there aren't that many men in the humanities is identity politics. Peterson just don't like minorities disturbing the "natural order of things"

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, Reddit turning on Peterson was glorious. When you're too conservative for even Reddit

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol I was wondering why it was taking so long for Ultra to post a response and didn't see that he got banned.

Oh boy are we posting from Peterson's AMA now? Because I'm so glad I get first dibs on this gem

DeDpYT3WsAYRQPb.jpg
Wait... how can atheism be the cause of the Holocaust if atheists don't exist?

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
To believe in the right's "idpol" bullshit is to believe that we already live in an absolute meritocracy and that everyone who reaches the station they do in life did so through fair, purely meritocratic means and therefore any challenge to the current social balance is a challenge to the concept of meritocracy itself.
"Idpol is challenging our meritocracy so we had no choice but to elect Trump." The right's conservative mindset instigated this panicked accelerationism, exposing their naked inconsistencies by electing a meritless child-man to represent them.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
It's obvious to anyone who knows what basic critical thinking is that his shtick is dogwhistling the disenfranchised white male, but what's his end game? Book sales? Fame? Is there gonna be a point to it other than increasing the amount of knuckledragging toxic dudebros that there already are? What good is it doing putting that shit (packaging toxic ideals in the most smart-sounding and persuasive way possible) out into the world?

Last edited:

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I was wondering why it was taking so long for Ultra to post a response and didn't see that he got banned.

Wait... how can atheism be the cause of the Holocaust if atheists don't exist?

No, you see, NON-genocidal atheists don't exist. The other kinds (like Hitler and probably Ghengis Khan) definitely do.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's obvious to anyone who knows what basic critical thinking is that his shtick is dogwhistling the disenfranchised white male, but what's his end game? What good is it doing putting that shit (packaging toxic ideals in the most smart-sounding and persuasive way possible) out into the world?
He was given a mission to save the world from nuclear war from his and his wife's dreams.

No, you see, NON-genocidal atheists don't exist. The other kinds (like Hitler and probably Ghengis Khan) definitely do.
Damn. Foiled by that wily Peterson again!

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
It's obvious to anyone who knows what basic critical thinking is that his shtick is dogwhistling the disenfranchised white male, but what's his end game? What good is it doing putting that shit (packaging toxic ideals in the most smart-sounding and persuasive way possible) out into the world?
To be completely cynical? The dude's making a lot of money off of it.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
And couldn't remember the name of his most admirable woman... the interviewer had to tell him it was Florence Nightingale lol
A woman famous for caring for men in a quasi-motherly fashion. Shocker.
not to criticize this good woman, but given the context this part stood out to me on wikipedia

"Although much of Nightingale's work improved the lot of women everywhere, Nightingale was of the opinion that women craved sympathy and were not as capable as men. She criticised early women's rights activists for decrying an alleged lack of careers for women at the same time that lucrative medical positions, under the supervision of Nightingale and others, went perpetually unfilled. She preferred the friendship of powerful men, insisting they had done more than women to help her attain her goals, writing: "I have never found one woman who has altered her life by one iota for me or my opinions." She often referred to herself in the masculine, as for example "a man of action" and "a man of business".

'Some scholars of Nightingale's life believe that she remained chaste for her entire life, perhaps because she felt a religious calling to her career.'

Last edited:

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
not to criticize this good woman, but given the context this part stood out to me on wikipedia

"Although much of Nightingale's work improved the lot of women everywhere, Nightingale was of the opinion that women craved sympathy and were not as capable as men. She criticised early women's rights activists for decrying an alleged lack of careers for women at the same time that lucrative medical positions, under the supervision of Nightingale and others, went perpetually unfilled. She preferred the friendship of powerful men, insisting they had done more than women to help her attain her goals, writing: "I have never found one woman who has altered her life by one iota for me or my opinions." She often referred to herself in the masculine, as for example "a man of action" and "a man of business".

'Some scholars of Nightingale's life believe that she remained chaste for her entire life, perhaps because she felt a religious calling to her career.'
Bloody hell. I shouldn't be too surprised; this was early days and it's a trend you still see with women today. But yikes.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's obvious to anyone who knows what basic critical thinking is that his shtick is dogwhistling the disenfranchised white male, but what's his end game? Book sales? Fame? Is there gonna be a point to it other than increasing the amount of knuckledragging toxic dudebros that there already are?
The comparisons to L Ron Hubbard are apt. We might be witnessing the birth of our generation's Scientology.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

And he still couldn't remember her name.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

*edit*

You know what? Fuck it.
Two different posts saying fuck it? Women cause men to fail and casual sex will lead to state tyranny, bucko. Unless you want the murderous doctrine of the left to prevail, then you must not tell others to fornicate with two different things. I mean it's terrible! Men are being told that they are the denizens of tyranny and product of the patriarchy! They arent in the humanities as much anymore, allowing the post modern Marxists to seize control. What we are doing to men is a travesty and immensely horrible we should be helping these men!

But first, let me complain about identity politics.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

He's either insane and dangerous or deliberate and dangerous. He's studied and critiqued the source of demagogic power, then turned around to tap into that source for his own benefit. It seems psychopathic.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
It's obvious to anyone who knows what basic critical thinking is that his shtick is dogwhistling the disenfranchised white male, but what's his end game? Book sales? Fame? Is there gonna be a point to it other than increasing the amount of knuckledragging toxic dudebros that there already are? What good is it doing putting that shit (packaging toxic ideals in the most smart-sounding and persuasive way possible) out into the world?
He thinks he is saving the world (not kidding) from nuclear war, based on dreams.

Actually it would be an interesting origin story for a villain in some thriller/horror movie

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jordan Peterson is Ozymandias from Watchmen.

Jordan Peterson: On a Mission Given by His Wife's Dream to Stop Nuclear War

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Jordan Peterson destroys the entitled purveyors of identity politics when he talks about [checks notes] the needs of the incel movement.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017

He's either insane and dangerous or deliberate and dangerous. He's studied and critiqued the source of demagogic power, then turned around to tap into that source for his own benefit. It seems psychopathic.

I watched a video from Peterson's class a long time ago. He was talking about personality and finding your own voice, that a lot of people just repeat things they have heard elsewhere and
become ideological zombies. That's like, exactly what his supporters are doing. Even worse, they are not paraphrasing him or anything (they obviously don't understand him completely) and point you to 3 hour videos as an argument. Talk about intellectual submission.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oops turns out when you dig through his past you get some pretty clear views on women:

yMrO1g1.png

"If choosiness wasn't there rape would be unnecessary"

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Jordan Peterson is Ozymandias from Watchmen.

Jordan Peterson: On a Mission Given by His Wife's Dream to Stop Nuclear War
At least Ozy was responding to a real chance that Tricky Dick and Gorbachev might wipe each other off the face of the Earth, and is sceptical of whether the deaths he caused were worth it. Peterson is basing everything he does off of bogeymen, and either is oblivious to the harm he might be causing or doesn't care.

hexanaut

Dec 6, 2017
I see Dave Rubin made an account here.

Wow, reading the article from a former colleague. Peterson at one point got into "shamanic healing practices, where, to my great surprise and distress, he chose to be the shaman himself." lol

To be completely cynical? The dude's making a lot of money off of it.

Yeah the end game is to continue grifting and being talked about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.