Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This dude is a fucking doctor...
quote-somewhere-in-the-world-is-a-doctor-who-is-worse-than-all-other-doctors-and-someone-has-george-carlin-146-65-54.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Can she have Dr. Fred come and administer it since he's the one who prescribed it? That way the hospital isn't liable.

Generally a physician needs to be credentialed at a hospital if they will be seeing patients, giving treatments, doing procedures or surgeries. The initial credentialling process can take a while sometimes depending on the hospital. it basically involves verifying medical license/board certification/references/etc. Having a random doctor walk in and give a patient a treatment opens a whole other can of worms.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
It should be pretty evident by now that Ivermectin isn't some wonder drug for covid like people keep clinging on it to be. At the same time though, in a pretty dire situation like this, I truly emphasize with how hard it must be to watch a loved one decline from something like covid and want to try anything possible to try to improve their situation, even if it's almost certainly a fool's errand.

The people we should be pissed at isn't someone desperate to save their loved one, but the assholes who gave them false hope by continuesly pushing this snake oil in the first place.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I cross a lot of doctors in my line of work & I don't think you'd believe how many career MDs engage in anti-science / anti-vaccine rhetoric on an almost daily basis.
As someone with a significant other in the medical industry, I will say, what is somewhat troubling with both medical and engineer paths, at least in the schools I'm familiar with(and to an extent I get it due to the already extensive curriculum), but unless you really carve it and seek it out, you aren't really ever taught extensive college level critical thinking skills on your path. You certainly are taught to think in a certain way that is essential to your position, but I think people tend to just assume X person is a doctor, engineer, programmer, they are obviously smart, how can they be so stupid!

But you aren't really ever forced to expose yourself to things like logic, reasoning, philosophy, psychology(above an introductory level), political science, sociology, and the that really forces you to examine things like biases, motivated reasoning, media literacy etc.

So it has never shocked me that people like that exist. Or that you have a not insignificant amount of nurses that spout idiocy about vaccines.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
As someone with a significant other in the medical industry, I will say, what is somewhat troubling with both medical and engineer paths, at least in the schools I'm familiar with(and to an extent I get it due to the already extensive curriculum), but unless you really carve it and seek it out, you aren't really ever taught extensive college level critical thinking skills on your path. You certainly are taught to think in a certain way that is essential to your position, but I think people tend to just assume X person is a doctor, engineer, programmer, they are obviously smart, how can they be so stupid!

But you aren't really ever forced to expose yourself to things like logic, reasoning, philosophy, psychology(above an introductory level), political science, sociology, and the that really forces you to examine things like biases, motivated reasoning, media literacy etc.

So it has never shocked me that people like that exist. Or that you have a not insignificant amount of nurses that spout idiocy about vaccines.
We're really paying the price in the US for deemphasizing the humanities in education.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
This dude is a fucking doctor...
Every idiot can be a doctor. I'm not even joking, you don't have to be smart to be a doctor, you just have to be able to memorize things without understanding a lot and you can get through med school. You won't become a good doctor that way but it's still possible.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Every idiot can be a doctor. I'm not even joking, you don't have to be smart to be a doctor, you just have to be able to memorize things without understanding a lot and you can get through med school. You won't become a good doctor that way but it's still possible.

Not just that, you could be extremely specialized, and be the best in the field, but if you don't deal directly with the specific medical knowledge related your work you might be as dumb as just as any other people because well its not what you spent a whole career specializing in. Supposedly Ben Carson is a very good brain surgeon, but I wouldn't put any trust in him on medical advise outside of something dealing with that specifically.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
It's like the old joke - What do you call some someone who almost flunked out of med school, and barely made it through their internship?

Doctor.