Oct 25, 2017
Great trailer!

But.

BUT.

YAKUZA CHASE SEQUENCES.

Why are they back? I thought we'd finally killed them dead :(

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Looks interesting. Although tailing sections are always the worst, hopefully that stuff is minimal.
Fairly minimal. Mostly confined to just a few side cases, only trailing section that really grates is the one in chapter 11?12? of the story as it goes on for far too long, otherwise they are mercifully over quick (and are basically impossible to fail if you upgrade certain skills of Yagami's.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Chases are the best they've been in Yakuza. They are basically QTE segments. The best chase is without a doubt in chapter 2. You'll know why when you play it. Some of the side cases (well, one series of side cases) have entertaining chases as well. Its just unfortunate the team didn't make them more scripted (as in, full blown QTE's, with 0 control outside of button presses for actions) - basically make them like the Dobuita chase sequence in Shenmue 1, really stylish and scripted, rather than giving the player a bit of control in terms of movement so you basically perform one of a selection of actions (dodge, jump, vault) at specific times. They are still lightyears ahead of the crap Yakuza 3 threw at you though, as much as I love that game I still hold a tiny bit of resentment at it for introducing chases (but hey, Mack rocked so its not a total disaster).

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, this looks awesome. More Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio is always appreciated. Can't wait!

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
New (?) English gameplay with English VA.

Kinda funny where Yagami is English while others Japanese.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks like it's going to be so much fun.

After I played Yakuza 6 I've been itching to see what the team could do with a new story

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
There's a House of the Dead like minigame? Sweet!

It's also reference to Yakuza zombie game; Yakuza Dead Souls.

157981_front.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Kamuro of the Dead is one of my favourite mini games in Judge Eyes. Its basically a super duper condensed version of Dead Souls where you fight the various enemies and bosses from the main game including the final boss. We even get stages using the character combat music from DS, it actually ends up playing better since the on rails gameplay works way better compared to the hap hazardly controlled DS. But its missing Majima so its kinda missing the heart of the experience!
Fun fact, this is the second HOTD styled take on DS, the first takes place in the PSP exclusive Kurohyou 2 (the second PSP Yakuza spinoff). Its basically a shooting gallery with non animated DS enemies creeping closer to you, you just gotta shoot them all before they get you. Its a cool little mini game, but nowhere near as good as KotD in JE.

I'd love to play a demo like they usually do for yakuza games.
There's one out in Japan, or just wait until a month/couple of weeks before the games release date over here - it'll get one and it'll probably be the first chapter of the game like in the Japanese release - speaking of which, I never played the demo (didn't want to be spoiled) but the first chapter of the game (not the prologue) was insanely long (took me 8 hours) so I wonder if we'll get that again over here, granted mini games will probably be disabled in the demo but its a hefty chunk of gameplay to play.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
My mistake, actually "new" gameplay video above quite old; February 2019.

Gamespot extended gameplay video:

DangerMan

Oct 29, 2017
I wish I didn't hate his clothes so damned much. I love the Yakuza series and dig the vibe of everything I'm seeing other than that. I know its nitpicky but its going to bother me having his jacket halfway up his back every time I run somewhere or fight someone. His whole outfit looks two sizes too small for him.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
My mistake, actually "new" gameplay video above quite old; February 2019.

Gamespot extended gameplay video:

So wait, is February 2019 considered "quite old" for a game build now, or do you just mean that the video itself has been out for a while and may not be new to people?

Interesting that dining in restaurants doesn't give you experience points anymore, or maybe the UI just isn't in the game yet? Is there still an RPG-like character progression system like Yakuza?

Also, those are 100% the character models from Dead Souls in the Kamuro of the Dead game. I bet it plays better than Dead Souls too.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Can't decide if I want to play this in Japanese or English. I'm not big on the English dub, but I don't really want to have to read a bunch if I don't have to. Plus, it seems there's no subtitles for non-cutscene or incedental dialogue

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So wait, is February 2019 considered "quite old" for a game build now, or do you just mean that the video itself has been out for a while and may not be new to people?

Interesting that dining in restaurants doesn't give you experience points anymore, or maybe the UI just isn't in the game yet? Is there still an RPG-like character progression system like Yakuza?

Also, those are 100% the character models from Dead Souls in the Kamuro of the Dead game. I bet it plays better than Dead Souls too.

Well, its a light gun type game (though no move support :( ) so yeah controls are way better than Dead Souls! And the XP system is tweaked again over Kiwami 2, so you get SP for just doing anything - its one type of XP for unlocking everything VS needing to get specific types of XP to unlock certain things - but you should still get XP from eating (I think, I honestly forget, there are better ways at farming it in the game!).

https://www.resetera.com/threads/judgment-features-trailer.103921/reply?quote=18656088
I wish I didn't hate his clothes so damned much. I love the Yakuza series and dig the vibe of everything I'm seeing other than that. I know its nitpicky but its going to bother me having his jacket halfway up his back every time I run somewhere or fight someone. His whole outfit looks two sizes too small for him.
Well you can actually change clothes in the game in your initial playthrough, unlike previous Yakuza games making you wait until premium adventure mode. But I think there are restrictions on when you can change clothes (again, I never really used the function outside of disguises so I forget the exact requirements).

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
It's confirmed that this has nothing to do with Yakuza despite being set in sort of the same universe right? I haven't had time to really deep dive into the Yakuza series and I really want to play it.

DangerMan

Oct 29, 2017
Well you can actually change clothes in the game in your initial playthrough, unlike previous Yakuza games making you wait until premium adventure mode. But I think there are restrictions on when you can change clothes (again, I never really used the function outside of disguises so I forget the exact requirements).

Awesome news, thanks! I'd tried looking into outfits a bit after noticing an icon on the closest in the preview videos of the apartment but hadn't been able to find anything

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It's confirmed that this has nothing to do with Yakuza despite being set in sort of the same universe right? I haven't had time to really deep dive into the Yakuza series and I really want to play it.
Only thing it shares is Tojo Clan and Kamurocho, otherwise you'll only find Easter eggs that have no official bearing on the story at all.