harleyvwarren

Oct 31, 2022
Illinois
Who did Yuta switch with besides Yuji? Hakari or Higuruma? Since they have great barrier technique. Not to slight Yuji too much, but hard to find the benefit of that body switch for Yuta.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, based on TCB's translations the 99 seconds of Malevolent Shrine are up. And Sukuna is confirmed to be fucked? And Yuji's now working with his best fight partner, so it's hard to feel like they don't have this in the bag.

The only weird part is that Urame's glazing still feels disproportionate to what's actually happening.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
So yeah, based on TCB's translations the 99 seconds of Malevolent Shrine are up. And Sukuna is confirmed to be fucked? And Yuji's now working with his best fight partner, so it's hard to feel like they don't have this in the bag.
This is the part that's bothering me. Sukuna was weakened to the point Yuji was beating him up with Ino's help two chapters ago. It's why he had to throw together a patchwork domain in the first place. Now that they're out of the domain and he can barely use his CT, shouldn't Todo and Yuji stomp him?

I dunno, maybe they do kick his ass next week and Sukuna goes full Gon with one last binding vow where he sacrifices everything.

The only weird part is that Urame's glazing still feels disproportionate to what's actually happening.

The way the scans described it, Furnace feels like an autowin under most circumstances. I think Uraume just assumed the fight was a lock the moment Sukuna regained his DE.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
The way the scans described it, Furnace feels like an autowin under most circumstances. I think Uraume just assumed the fight was a lock the moment Sukuna regained his DE.
It's more that Sukuna isn't using this move casually and he would still be fucked up even if he did wipe them out. And Urame has no clue how many more fighters they have who could hop in and pose a threat to Sukuna in that state. Some worry from Urame should be warranted at this juncture.

Oct 27, 2017
Also, what happened to CT burnout after using a domain? Either Sukuna's domain is still open when he's using kamino or it's closed and he shouldn't be able to use it immediately...

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Yuji and Todo fights are the best, let's gooooooooo.

Get Maki in here too for more switching shenanigans. Screw it, have a freshly healed Yuta join in too
Also, what happened to CT burnout after using a domain? Either Sukuna's domain is still open when he's using kamino or it's closed and he shouldn't be able to use it immediately...
Something something binding vows let him sneak in the fire move after using his domain before burnout sets in

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yuji and Todo fights are the best, let's gooooooooo.

Get Maki in here too for more switching shenanigans. Screw it, have a freshly healed Yuta join in too

Something something binding vows let him sneak in the fire move after using his domain before burnout sets in
JumpJutsu Kaisen at its best, can't wait for the brothers to jump Sukuna.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man all I want from this Sukuna fight is for him to get the equivalent of a 7 page muda. Get like the ultimate jumpjutsu kaisen with everybody involved just stomping on this smug motherfucker's ass when he is defeated. Fuck even Kamo can get a free shot in, need that EVERYONE IS HERE moment with no dialogue and just a good old fashioned ass kicking.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
He used furnace during domain because he can't use it against multiple people outside a domain

And yeah he should be facing burnout now and Yuji before was fucking him up enough that he pull a desperate patchwork domain to try and kill him

now its yuji and todo

plus Todo saved everyone else

realistically the fight is done
sukuna should get stomped
time for gege to step in

Oct 27, 2017
He used furnace during domain because he can't use it against multiple people outside a domain

And yeah he should be facing burnout now and Yuji before was fucking him up enough that he pull a desperate patchwork domain to try and kill him

now its yuji and todo

plus Todo saved everyone else

realistically the fight is done
sukuna should get stomped
time for gege to step in
If Sukuna makes a binding vow to somehow avoid burnout/shorten the period, i'm going to flip out

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Really everyone remotely fighting capable should be jumping him at this point. He seems pretty thoroughly declawed.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
If Sukuna makes a binding vow to somehow avoid burnout/shorten the period, i'm going to flip out

Even if he does do this, his CT was barely working against Yuji two chapters ago. Even a point blank cleave only managed to scratch out Yuji's eye.

I have no idea how Gege is going to attempt to justify this being a competitive fight. Yuji and Todo should easily win at this point. Maybe they will and Uraume will show up or something.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, were both Uraume and Hakari inside the domain? does that mean Uraume is potentially killed and Hakari is free to rejoin the fight against Sukuna?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn I love manga writers, they eally do be taking college courses just to come up with bullshit powers for characters. "Thermobaric"

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Sukuna needs to be hit with some kind of consequence for being the premier binding vow merchant cause lmao

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm gonna need a list of every single Binding Vow that Sukuna has made in this fight, because it's starting to feel like Gege's new favorite excuse for justifying Sukuna being able to do whatever he wants

Binding Vow, he just delayed the technique burnout off by twelve hours in exchange for not being able to use his CT for a week once it kicks in. Oops./SPOILER]

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna need a list of every single Binding Vow that Sukuna has made in this fight, because it's starting to feel like Gege's new favorite excuse for justifying Sukuna being able to do whatever he wants

Binding Vow, he just delayed the technique burnout off by twelve hours in exchange for not being able to use his CT for a week once it kicks in. Oops./SPOILER]

All written here

During the current arc:

1) In exchange for the World Slash he used against Gojo requiring no set up, all future uses of world slashes now require at least 3 hands, a chant and additional cursed energy to use.

2) The vows he used to create the makeshift domain last chapter (details currently unknown)

During previous arcs/before the series:

1) The one he made with Yuji to take over his body.

2) The one(s) he made with Kenjaku in exchange for creating the fingers.

3) In exchange for powering up its speed, he can't use his fire against multiple opponents unless it's within his domain.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
you're supposed to get some steep consequences from placing a binding vow on oneself but the way Sukuna has been using them has been a get out of jail free card

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
you're supposed to get some steep consequences from placing a binding vow on oneself but the way Sukuna has been using them has been a get out of jail free card
This isn't HxH
Kenjaku said breaking your own vow just means you lose the boosts
though i have no idea how it works with World Slash
does Gojo come back from the dead lol

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't HxH
I thought I remembered it meaning death during the whole Mechamaru stuff

If it's just removing a boost then wouldn't Miwa just pick up another sword?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I remembered it meaning death during the whole Mechamaru stuff

If it's just removing a boost then wouldn't Miwa just pick up another sword?
idk honestly
Gege being generally vague about binding vows
i guess she dies
Its not like it did anything to Kenjaku anyway
Kenjaku explanation about losing the boosts is the only one we got

so i guess she dies

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't HxH
It bugs the hell out of me that the whole angle of "breaking a binding vow with oneself" isn't explained more beyond a throw away line.

Like what would happen if Miwa tried to swing a sword again? The slash she traded for didn't even do anything so there would be nothing to refund in theory.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It bugs the hell out of me that the whole angle of "breaking a binding vow with oneself" isn't explained more beyond a throw away line.

Like what would happen if Miwa tried to swing a sword again? The slash she traded for didn't even do anything so there would be nothing to refund in theory.
Even the explanation for what happens when you break a vow with someone else is so annoyingly vague lol
Kenjaku explanation was basically just: idk something bad happens just don't do it

It's really annoying how since my closest comparison is HxH where you have a concrete idea how nen contracts work

Gege seems to keep it vague so he can have shit happen when he needs to

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like my favorite binding vow is really just Nanami overtime because it ties to his salaryman gimmick and it's a straightforward if the battle takes too long I go super salaryman and hope I end it quickly

Too bad he only does it once lol

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm just gonna assume that a binding vow can only be broken if its something you can't take back. So the nerf to World Slash is permanent, he couldn't undo it if he wanted to, because Sukuna traded it for a one-time sneak attack, while say, reducing the range of a technique to increase its power can be undone because its a general buff and not a hyper-limited sacrifice

But who knows if Gege thought it through to that extent lol

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
My best guess is that, for binding vows, the specifics of a contract overwrites the general rule.

For example, since Miwa specified not using a sword again for a temporary power up, she either physically can't or dies. Same thing with Sukuna, who seems physically incapable of using world slash without the long set up now.

Versus someone like Nanami, who would just permanently lose the boost from overtime if he broke his vow.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna assume that a binding vow can only be broken if its something you can't take back. So the nerf to World Slash is permanent, he couldn't undo it if he wanted to, because Sukuna traded it for a one-time sneak attack, while say, reducing the range of a technique to increase its power can be undone because its a general buff and not a hyper-limited sacrifice

But who knows if Gege thought it through to that extent lol
My best guess is that, for binding vows, the specifics of a contract overwrites the general rule.

For example, since Miwa specified not using a sword again for a temporary power up, she either physically can't or dies. Same thing with Sukuna, who seems physically incapable of using world slash without the long set up now.

Versus someone like Nanami, who would just permanently lose the boost from overtime if he broke his vow.
Good enough for me

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
How has Mei Mei managed to avoid getting hit???? Literally, the one person who should die.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This isn't HxH
Yeah, there's actual consequences in HxH if you want anything worth shit.
Kurapika's vow for his Emperor time is 1 sec used means 1 hour less of lifespan.
His vow for jail that puts spider members in Zetsu is that he can't use it against anyone else and if he breaks his vow he dies.
That's how the jail managed to be so efficient.
If the difficulty of the condition is too easy you don't get much of a boost.

Gon's infamous vow basically cost him all his future potential and was going to kill him with how much he lost.
It literally took a wish granting mc guffin to not die and he still lost his potential.

Knuckle's vow is interesting,
he lends aura to someone,
as much as he can really.
If the borrower doesn't pay back the aura before the interest pile up enough to put in bankruptcy then the borrower is in Zetsu for a month.
That's the consequence for being provided so much aura.
It's basically a curse someone imposed by Knuckle.

if JJK was like HxH, the world cleave would have had a rather steep price just for its regular use and that includes the one that offed Gojo.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I get the vibe that Gege read HxH and was confused why everyone wasn't doing Gon-san style rash sacrifice contracts all the time rather than understanding Togashi's intention of it punctuating a tragic and shocking moment.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I get the vibe that Gege read HxH and was confused why everyone wasn't doing Gon-san style rash sacrifice contracts all the time rather than understanding Togashi's intention of it punctuating a tragic and shocking moment.
Heck that's basically what Kurapika did for the Yorkshin arc.
And even then Gon was like "nah, I'm gonna pass on this, that's way too risky".
Gon's final form really was the culmination of his arc and it's not powerfantasy type of power we see.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Kurapika's vow for his Emperor time is 1 sec used means 1 hour less of lifespan.
His vow for jail that puts spider members in Zetsu is that he can't use it against anyone else and if he breaks his vow he dies.

Gon's infamous vow basically cost him all his future potential and was going to kill him with how much he lost.
It literally took a wish granting mc guffin to not die and he still lost his potential.

If the borrower doesn't pay back the aura before the interest pile up enough to put in bankruptcy then the borrower is in Zetsu for a month.

if JJK was like HxH, the world cleave would have had a rather steep price just for its regular use and that includes the one that offed Gojo.
Miwa slash would have at least damage Kenjaku and not be a joke

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Miwa slash would have at least damage Kenjaku and not be a joke
There was a million way to not make that shit such a joke.
Like even if she just slashed the air because Kenjaku dodged in some way would have been better there.
As it is the price is way too high for what you got out of it.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017

Knuckle doesn't have a vow, that's just how his hatsu works

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
There was a million way to not make that shit such a joke.
Like even if she just slashed the air because Kenjaku dodged in some way would have been better there.
As it is the price is way too high for what you got out of it.
it all makes complete sense when you remember Naoya is actually Gege's self insert

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I think the difference between HxH/JJK is that limitations/vows/restrictions/risk/conditions are more or less an inescapable aspect of creating a unique hatsu. Versus JJK where cursed techniques are ready made abilities you're born with, so they don't necessarily need limitations to become powerful.

It's never really explored in the series, but it's notable that Sukuna and Kenjaku seem to know far more about vows than even someone like Gojo. Sukuna is the one who first introduces the concept to the series, and he's repeatedly said things that imply he holds it with a higher importance than anyone else (calling it "true" jutsu, for example). It could be an Heian era thing, but none of the other sorcerers from that era besides those two rely so heavily on it.