A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the difference between HxH/JJK is that limitations/vows/restrictions/risk/conditions are more or less an inescapable aspect of creating a unique hatsu. Versus JJK where cursed techniques are ready made abilities you're born with, so they don't necessarily need limitations to become powerful.

It's never really explored in the series, but it's notable that Sukuna and Kenjaku seem to know far more about vows than even someone like Gojo. Sukuna is the one who first introduces the concept to the series, and he's repeatedly said things that imply he holds it with a higher importance than anyone else (calling it "true" jutsu, for example). It could be an Heian era thing, but none of the other sorcerers from that era besides those two rely so heavily on it.
I like the theory that Sukuna just spread a bunch of propaganda about binding vows so everyone else would be scared off from using them.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get the vibe that Gege read HxH and was confused why everyone wasn't doing Gon-san style rash sacrifice contracts all the time rather than understanding Togashi's intention of it punctuating a tragic and shocking moment.
I don't know how tragic and shocking it is when it was undone pretty much right after.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, in the moment it was. And even then Gon seemingly lost his ability to use nen and the story shifted away from him.
Yeah, and then a deus ex machina just wiped that all away. I'm sure reading it at the time must have been nuts, but the way it got "resolved" just completely took away any sort of weight the moment had.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't know how tragic and shocking it is when it was undone pretty much right after.
That right after was an arc of 26 chapters (about 2 to 3 volumes) that took years to release.
and the character is basically written of the story as a result.
Also Killua was also written out of the story as well and now has to travel with his sister as well.

It changed the dynamic of the story more than anything that happened since the start of the story!

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That right after was an arc of 26 chapters (about 2 to 3 volumes) that took years to release.
and the character is basically written of the story as a result.
Also Killua was also written out of the story as well and now has to travel with his sister as well.

It changed the dynamic of the story more than anything that happened since the start of the story!
I feel like a lot of this just comes down to HxH release schedule, which is obviously mainly due to Togashi's unfortunate medical problems. Wish the dude wasn't as physically frail as he is given everything he's done, I'm sure he would wish to be able to release chapters in a more consistent and normal schedule but just physically can't. All that said, some of these things would have happened a lot faster obviously if HxH had a more regular release schedule, if it was a consistently weekly manga it would have gotten there in a little over half a year instead of years.

Anyway this is a tangent, better to get back to talking about the next bullshit Sukuna will pull out his ass.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
So Sukuna is literally cooking.
I think Sukuna still has ace on his sleeve.
Things he used so far
-Cleave
-Dismantle
-Furnace
What comes after you cooked your food?
EAT!
I remember he tricked and almost ate Hana.

Oct 27, 2017

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It was undone like in the very next arc and from I'm looking at here it even says that there's a chance of him regaining his abilities anyway. Man spent about as much time in the hospital as Sabine did in Ahsoka after being stabbed.
Gon only had his life & body restored. His nen is still gone since he sacrificed his potential for the temporary power up. It was both a literal loss (his powers) and a metaphorical one (his main character status). It's one of the more intriguing Shonen power ups because Gon's short sighted decision resulted in long term narrative changes that directly affects the reader themselves (since Gon is no longer a featured character in his own manga)

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Gon only had his life & body restored. His nen is still gone since he sacrificed his potential for the temporary power up. It was both a literal loss (his powers) and a metaphorical one (his main character status). It's one of the more intriguing Shonen power ups because Gon's short sighted decision resulted in long term narrative changes that directly affects the reader themselves (since Gon is no longer a featured character in his own manga)
The thing here though, is that as soon as Gon met his dad, he basically reached his goal, accomplished what he wanted, and finished his adventure, that's why the end of the anime is perfect and for his story, even if he didn't lose his nen it wouldn't matter, he accomplished what he wanted -becoming a hunter and finding his dad-, the main story ended here, Gon as a character doesn't have any further need to be present, no loose ends on his part.

So he wasn't going to be featured in the current arc anyway, he doesn't have a reason to go for the dark continent, neither Killua for that matter who didn't lose his power or anything, it's more like a post-content thing where it can focus on other characters -mainly Kurapika and i guess the Phantom Troupe- but there is really no sense of loss since this isn't his adventure

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What he did was at least partially reverted not long after and there was already an indication given that it could be totally reversed, any kind of consequence that decision had for him basically evaporated as far as I'm concerned. If the manga had switched to Killua needing to go to the dark continent along with Kurapika in order to find a way to cure Gon and he was in a coma the entire time, it'd have more narrative weight, but that didn't happen. He was basically healed very soon after and as the other poster mentioned Gon had already accomplished his original goals. So for now, it doesn't matter that he lost his nen. Again this goes back to HxH's release schedule not helping matters when it comes to the narrative overall.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Atleast this is better than the whips.....but ive all but reached the same point of tiredness.

I wonder how long this fight will be in episodes......still excited for Gojo vs Sukuna and immediate fallout from the fans.
And Yuji coming back with Shrine is obviously going to be hype.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
This is really dumb, so we never got a follow up from Todo, the guy was involved just off screen the whole time which makes no sense from how he is written, he's delusional and he's Yuji's protective big brother figure but he doesn't appear until Yuji's other brother (who he never gets the chance to interact with) dies

And this whole Sukuna spamming Binding Vow shit is just bad, it's really Gege doing what ever he wants when Sukuna is written into a corner

Last edited:

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Gege said Choso and Nanami are two of his favourite characters and you can tell because they got the most respectful, well written deaths in the series by a country mile.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
binding vow merchant. Hakari is a fraud and not a heavy hitter

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
So Sukuna should be getting stomped right
Like how is Sukuna going to bullshit his way out

Yeah Gege is going to have to pull some bullshit to justify this being a competitive fight. Yuji using either the flames or a domain expansion (based on the fact Yuji trained with Yuta and Sukuna's repeatedly using DE in his body) feels like where this is going, and for that to make sense Sukuna has to somehow pose enough of a threat to push him there.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
The parallels to Shibuya are funny especially since Miwa/Maki/Ino all got a vague comment about them surviving. I guess we will never hear from them again.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
How many binding vows is Sukuna gonna use to weasel his way out of this. Is he gonna dump the burnout on Megumi's soul

And what's stopping Ui Ui from just warping around and grabbing everyone to bring them over and jump Sukuna

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Since we're (probably) getting an obligatory opening flashback next chapter, I wonder if Gege is even going to try to justify why Todo wasn't helping out during the Culling Games.

Like, it still fails to stand up to scrutiny, but I can at least suspend by disbelief enough to the point where I can buy the explanation in this chapter for why Todo waited so long to jump in this fight. But why wasn't he there beforehand? Was he in a coma? Did someone use the free month they had to build his prosthetic?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Since we're (probably) getting an obligatory opening flashback next chapter, I wonder if Gege is even going to try to justify why Todo wasn't helping out during the Culling Games.

Like, it still fails to stand up to scrutiny, but I can at least suspend by disbelief enough to the point where I can buy the explanation in this chapter for why Todo waited so long to jump in this fight. But why wasn't he there beforehand? Was he in a coma? Did someone use the free month they had to build his prosthetic?
It really feels like Gege was bored or just didn't feel like using Todo so he made a handwave explanation
Or just didn't want two big brothers on Yuji team because it'll be repetitive

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Useless title went from Miwa to Hakari
Hakari's entire kit is pretty much just hit hard which apparently feels like being hit with a serrated bat or something and instant healing. Dude barely even uses the other aspects of his technique outside of his domain (we saw him using the doors to it like once or twice on Yuji and I think Charles). If his opponent has a good defence there's pretty much fuck all he can actually do. Yuta's flexibility is just unparalleled in comparison, meanwhile Uraume can pretty much freely manipulate ice which is always way more versatile. He's really just in a war of attrition with them and trying to keep them away from the main fight. Against most opponents, if he can close in and continues getting lucky I get why he's considered dangerous but overall he just doesn't really have an interesting technique. This is a man that only didn't lose to Kashimo because Kashimo decided to try to test out the extent of Hakari's healing ability.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Wish I cared about Choso's death but I personally can't because he still murdered dozens of innocent people.

Todo coming back was hype though. Can't wait for Sukuna to kill him in a few chapters and then Yuji gets another angry power up.

Sukuna spamming binding vows just makes me laugh. Gege will do anything to let this character control the battle. It seems like terrible writing to me imo.

Gege said Choso and Nanami are two of his favourite characters and you can tell because they got the most respectful, well written deaths in the series by a country mile.

Can't wait to see how he kills off Sukuna. He'll probably give him multiple full page spreads with great art and then a giant funeral with all the surviving characters showing up to glaze him. "Yeah he killed thousands and thousands of innocent people but he was truly the best jujutsu sorcerer ever." Lmao.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I can believe they were holding Todo back for anti MS purposes. It makes sense.

Gojo is the strongest.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm in the minority but I'm okay with what Sukuna has been doing with binding vows.

Like, Gege could have written everything we've seen without using vows, just saying "hey, this CT only works in a domain" and the result would have been the same. While using vows conveys the fact that Sukuna knows his shit and can fine tune his techniques, not just through brute force but also tradeoffs.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Hakari's entire kit is pretty much just hit hard which apparently feels like being hit with a serrated bat or something and instant healing. Dude barely even uses the other aspects of his technique outside of his domain (we saw him using the doors to it like once or twice on Yuji and I think Charles). If his opponent has a good defence there's pretty much fuck all he can actually do. Yuta's flexibility is just unparalleled in comparison, meanwhile Uraume can pretty much freely manipulate ice which is always way more versatile. He's really just in a war of attrition with them and trying to keep them away from the main fight. Against most opponents, if he can close in and continues getting lucky I get why he's considered dangerous but overall he just doesn't really have an interesting technique. This is a man that only didn't lose to Kashimo because Kashimo decided to try to test out the extent of Hakari's healing ability.
Really wish Hakari uses the pachinko effects more like the doors and the balls
It would at least make him less of a one trick pony
Him not using those is also why he only had one real fight

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, it would make things more interesting than him just being in the unkillable mode and then trying to punch people to death without any other plan.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
That page turn to Todo showing up is maybe the most hyped/excited I've been reading this since the last time Todo showed up- love that shit.

Oct 27, 2017
There's absolutely no logic for why Todo didn't tell anyone about his plan. It's just pure nonsense. If this resonance was really a big issue that would've jeopardized all of the planning done in the month long break that involved Yuji. Was rolling my eyes during the leaks/early translations and I'm still rolling my eyes now

Yeah he used this technique against Yuji during that fight club arc, right? I remember him hitting Yuji with doors out of nowhere, and then we never saw that being done again for some reason (unless I'm forgetting other instances)

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Swear if next week isn't them beating that fraud that would have lost to Gojo I am calling BS on this whole manga

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Next week we'll have Sukuna pull out a bunch of whips for 10 chapters in a row and then after that Takaba comes back and goes on a trip with Sukuna to the grape fanta sea.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Binding Vow this, Binding Vow that. They sound like they're just convenient cheat codes. Can he make a Binding Vow that allows him to not die? Next chapter better be a jumping.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Mei Mei forcing her crows to make a binding vow to create her projectile attack is still the wildest use of the concept in the series.

Sukuna had to nerf an attack he spent an entire fight trying to learn into the ground just so he didn't have to use a hand signal once. Mei Mei kills a bird and gets an attack even Gojo doesn't want to take head on.

survivor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be a hater and say it. I don't like how we are about to do that Yuji/Todo team up for a third time. Maybe it will be different when it's against Sukuna, but I was hoping for something else.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be a hater and say it. I don't like how we are about to do that Yuji/Todo team up for a third time. Maybe it will be different when it's against Sukuna, but I was hoping for something else.
I kind of agree with this actually. It mainly bugs me because Todo's been a pretty famous safety net in most of Yuji's big fights, so it's weird to reintroduce him for this one.