Dec 2, 2017
Julian Assange can be extradited to the US, the high court has ruled as it overturned a judgment earlier this year.

The decision today deals a major blow to the Wikileaks co-founder's efforts to prevent his extradition to the US to face espionage charges, although options to appeal remain open to his legal team.

A package of assurances were put forward this year as part of US attempts to overcome the ruling in January by the district court judge Vanessa Baraitser that Assange could not be extradited because of concerns over his mental health and risk of suicide in a US prison.

The Lord Chief Justice Lord Burnett, sitting with Lord Justice Holroyde, ruled today at the high court that that he could be extradited.

www.theguardian.com

Julian Assange can be extradited to US to face espionage charges, court rules

WikiLeaks co-founder’s lawyers say they will seek to appeal, as Amnesty International says decision is a ‘travesty of justice’

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
It was inevitable. I don't rate his chances of getting through the US legal system without catching at least one or more charges as very good either sadly.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
They decided like that after it is known that the CIA tried to kidnap and even kill him?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I hate how this whole ordeal which is obviously bad in how it will be a dangerous precedent for actual whistleblowers and journalists makes Assange look like "the good guy" here. This shouldnt happen but also Assange is scum, so many damn unaltered leaks from Wikileaks that endangered people all over the world, like that time they doxed most of Turkeys adult female population or endangered gay men in countries where they could be executed for it.

Not to mention the time Wikileaks was running propaganda for Russia about the crashed plane in Ukraine or the obvious antisemitism.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
They decided like that after it is known that the CIA tried to kidnap and even kill him?
The CIA gave a pinky swear to the judge, and for good measure, also swore on their Scout's honour. I think that's pretty solid. only a complete jerk would break their word after saying that

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
This entire ordeal is so fucked up, I hate that the whole thing works in the favor of the insane conspiracy theorists too.

undermines whistle blowers as well, it's just shit all around even if you hate assange.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hate how this whole ordeal which is obviously bad in how it will be a dangerous precedent for actual whistleblowers and journalists makes Assange look like "the good guy" here. This shouldnt happen but also Assange is scum, so many damn unaltered leaks from Wikileaks that endangered people all over the world, like that time they doxed most of Turkeys adult female population or endangered gay men in countries where they could be executed for it.

Not to mention the time Wikileaks was running propaganda for Russia about the crashed plane in Ukraine or the obvious antisemitism.

Dude is a rapist and fascism enabler and much of the world has been gaslighted into thinking he's a hero. It's a complex story. Also fuck the CIA.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Dude's a scumbag, but he absolutely should not be extradited to a country that was making plans on how best to murder him.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Yeah I'm reading all these post defending him and thought I was going crazy.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021

But he isn't tried for his scummy behavior. He is facing espionage charges. I do think wikileaks should face court for many of it's "leaks" but not in this particular case. So while Assange might deserve what is coming to him it's still not right way to do it, especially when this case will open doors to punish whistleblowers in the future.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah what could go wrong. Lets deliver him to the country that literally planned to assassinate him for exposing US war crimes. The whole thing makes me sick.
What's crazy is that (from what I remember of the reporting), the high level assassination plans really stemmed from the publication of CIA hacking tools by Wikileaks. Basically Pompeo and a bunch of higher ups in the CIA were simply angry at being embarrassed.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

You aren't crazy. Assange doesn't deserve uncritical defenders, and Wikileaks is unadulterated trash.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing him being propped up and an example of going after investigative journalists but why do we wash away all the vile shit he did that no self respecting whistle blower would engage in?

Did he not spread disinformation as well, act as a divisive chaos agent? Promote violence, steal money, and so forth?!?

I get the principals and implications at play here but I really would like to think that the journalists themselves have ethical responsibilities to uphold.

That only really addresses my lack of sympathy though and he isn't being charged for his criminal liability correct?

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dude is a rapist and fascism enabler and much of the world has been gaslighted into thinking he's a hero. It's a complex story. Also fuck the CIA.

it isn't complex in the slightest

the US intelligence community want to make an example of him for precedence sake. Fuck then to hell.

Also this case always gets liberals on their clay horses. Shows the ease in which you can manipulate perception through focusing on their personal conduct (here not proven to the degree to which some are implying on here) rather than what truly matters in the social and political sphere.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing him being propped up and an example of going after investigative journalists but why do we wash away all the vile shit he did that no self respecting whistle blower would engage in?

Did he not spread disinformation as well, act as a divisive chaos agent? Promote violence, steal money, and so forth?!?

I get the principals and implications at play here but I really would like to think that the journalists themselves have ethical responsibilities to uphold.

That only really addresses my lack of sympathy though and he isn't being charged for his criminal liability correct?
Make him be judged in another country. The US is clearly biased

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
it isn't complex in the slightest

the US intelligence community want to make an example of him for precedence sake. Fuck then to hell.

Also this case always gets liberals on their clay horses. Shows the ease in which you can manipulate perception through focusing on their personal conduct (here not proven to the degree to which some are implying on here) rather than what truly matters in the social and political sphere.

Example of who?

I am still unconvinced we should view him as a journalist or whistleblower

Ok this I can get behind

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Will be interesting to see if the US sticks to its promise to not stick him in conditions the UK sees as unacceptable

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
For more on the "plans" to abduct or harm Assange, this article has some details and is a quick read. It appears that the ideas weren't seriously considered or generated — but that Assange was an obsession for Pompeo, who unleashed and enabled the worst kind of brainstorming. As far as where things were left:

The plans were mostly blocked by lawyers associated with the White House or the Justice Department, who saw any abduction as straightforwardly illegal. The idea of an assassination was shut down even earlier, with one official describing it as "just spitballing."

(I can completely understand reluctance to trust commentary like this, however. But it's the most updated on-record journalism I found.)

I haven't seen anything on what'll happen regarding charges, but I imagine that we'll see a DoJ statement about this soon.

That said, no country should extraditing anyone to another country that employs the death penalty. The UK has this concept as law, so I'm guessing it's off the table per assurances from DoJ.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
A complete travesty of justice and a major blow journalism and freedom of information worldwide. The journalists who have kept silent should be ashamed.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Example of who?

I am still unconvinced we should view him as a journalist or whistleblower

Ok this I can get behind

Assange / Wikileaks...it's a pretty standard game. They want to discourage future leaks while nailing somebody they despise.

People should remember that the kind of stuff the CIA get up to is horrifically deprived. Just read up about the School of the Americas for instance. Weaponising rape is just one of their crimes.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sending a journlist to the country that plotted to kill him. Very nice.

They're not charging him for publishing US war crimes, right? Because as far as I know, you can't get charged for publishing those unless it's ridiculously careless.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the charges are about putting people in danger ... however I read he redacted thousands of names and worked with the state department to withhold thousands of documents.

Ironic that this is happening at the same time as US's democracy summit.

Last edited:

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

They're not charging him for publishing US war crimes, right? Because as far as I know, you can't get charged for publishing those unless it's ridiculously careless.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the charges are about putting people in danger ... however I read he redacted thousands of names and worked with the state department to withhold thousands of documents.

Here's details on the actual charges: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/wikileaks-founder-charged-superseding-indictment

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

He didn't work with the State Department. Best I found is a YouTube video claiming that he sent a warning. Here's how Chelsea Manning describes it:

Manning's assessment of the effect the leaks would have on America's top diplomat at the time was nearer the mark: "Hillary Clinton and several thousand diplomats around the world are going to have a heart attack when they wake up one morning, and find an entire repository of classified foreign policy is available, in searchable format, to the public."
It's from a German site: https://amp.dw.com/en/wikileaks-cab...arnished-look-at-us-foreign-policy/a-55755239.

As far as redactions:
Initially, the embassy cables were published by WikiLeaks' media partners in installments. But a data breach resulted in the entire cache of unredacted Cablegate material becoming, and remaining, publicly accessible. Names, including the people American diplomats were communicating with, were not blacked out — something Wikileaks was heavily criticized for.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Judged for what? The US is alleging he violated US espionage laws, that's not something another country can try.

Generally I feel these charges are bullshit to use against someone not in the U.S., is not a U.S. citizen, nor lives in the U.S. For these people, espionage charges generally aren't used since espionage is typically conducted by nation states.

Assange is a piece of shit, but he should not have any obligation to protect US secrets. This just lends credence that the rape charges were a horseshit reason to get him out from protection.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thank you, so hacking charges.

He didn't work with the State Department. Best I found is a YouTube video claiming that he sent a warning. Here's how Chelsea Manning describes it:

It's from a German site: https://amp.dw.com/en/wikileaks-cab...arnished-look-at-us-foreign-policy/a-55755239.

As far as redactions:

This is my source of the info:
REDACTIONS
Earlier, John Goetz, an investigative reporter who worked for Germany's Der Spiegel magazine on the first publication of the documents in 2010, said Assange was careful to ensure that the names of informants in hundreds of thousands of leaked secret U.S. government documents were never published.

He said the U.S. State Department had been involved in a conference call suggesting redactions, and WikiLeaks had agreed to hold back about 15,000 documents for publication.

"There was sensitivity and it was one of the things that was talked about all the time," Goetz told the court. Assange was concerned that the media should take measures "so no one would be harmed", he said.

www.reuters.com

WikiLeaks acted in public interest, 'Pentagon Papers' leaker tells Assange hearing

The man who leaked the "Pentagon Papers" about the Vietnam War defended Julian Assange at his London extradition hearing on Wednesday, saying WikiLeaks had acted in the public interest and warning Assange would not get a fair trial in the United States.

Regarding the leaks that contained names:

Goetz said WikiLeaks was frustrated when a password that allowed access to the full, unredacted material was published in a book by Guardian reporters in February 2011.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I wish he wasn't such a scumbag but any "trial" he would face in the US is going to be a formality for his execution.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Dude is a huge piece of shit but no one should be extraditing non US citizens (or anyone really) to the usa for crimes while the USA prison system is as fucked up as it is with daily human rights violations, when the CIA (even if not seriously considered) still were planning how best to kill the person while on foreign soil, and while the usa maintains the death penalty.

There's 0 promises, pledges or written documents the usa can give that anyone can take at face value and be expected to be followed. They're not exactly known for giving a fuck about other countries thoughts on this stuff. I'd rather not let a corrupt country and legal system have easy access to someone they've wanted to make an example of for so long just because they've made some promises not to do shit they have 0 issues doing anyway.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm reading all these post defending him and thought I was going crazy.
Nobody in this thread has "defended" him - its well established Assange is a piece of shit. However, our current government has a tried and tested method of watering down human rights and civil liberties by using publicly disliked targets. The moment a refugee commits a violent crime? More inhumane asylum seeker laws. Climate activists blocking the school run? Draconian anti-protest bills.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Thank you, so hacking charges.

This is my source of the info:

www.reuters.com

WikiLeaks acted in public interest, 'Pentagon Papers' leaker tells Assange hearing

The man who leaked the "Pentagon Papers" about the Vietnam War defended Julian Assange at his London extradition hearing on Wednesday, saying WikiLeaks had acted in the public interest and warning Assange would not get a fair trial in the United States.

Regarding the leaks that contained names:
This is interesting! Thank you for the update — I didn't know the initial piece. Looks like poor cybersecurity practices were significantly to blame too, plus whatever the Guardian did.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
He fucked himself over, really. He treated the Ecuadorian embassy like it was a shitty rental house and then sued the government when they imposed rules on him.

That said, I will never applaud a CIA target operation, because they have a hell of a history.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
He fucked himself over, really. He treated the Ecuadorian embassy like it was a shitty rental house and then sued the government when they imposed rules on him.

That said, I will never applaud a CIA target operation, because they have a hell of a history.

Yup

You can see both Assange and the CIA (and US government as a whole) as the bad guys here

Sucks when trying to navigate all this

I think the best take so far in the thread was the suggestion that he face consequences on neutral grounds. Extradition to the US is a mistake.... as badly as I want this guy to face the music

The damage he helped cause outside of the shit that is supposedly good wasn't a great tradeoff

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Nobody in this thread has "defended" him - its well established Assange is a piece of shit. However, our current government has a tried and tested method of watering down human rights and civil liberties by using publicly disliked targets. The moment a refugee commits a violent crime? More inhumane asylum seeker laws. Climate activists blocking the school run? Draconian anti-protest bills.
Yeah, I was reading this thread when I first woke up. Rereading the first few posts it does not come across as defending him. That was my misjudgment.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Assange is a monster and a stooge for foreign powers, and it's unfortunate that these monsters have destroyed things for legitimate journalists/leakers everywhere.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Not sure why you feel this way. Assange gave us Trump. Fuck him.

Ahh yes, because releasing (true) information in a curated fashion to support a political party in another country deserves the extraordinary rendition of a non-citizen, and the setting of a precedent to do so more in the future. Really well thought out position friend.