• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
This guy would be a hero of the US state if it was Russian and Chinese secrets he was exposing.

This ruling is a disgrace.

No citizen regardless of the crime should be extradited to the US when it's prisons abuse human rights.
This logic seems strange, unless you think the opposite would be just as bad.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
I have plenty issues with what Snowden did, he leaked more than just wiretapping stuff. I would also argue in terms of of the U.S., Assange was under no obligation to protect U.S. secrets while Snowden did.
Snowden is an example of a person who defied the orders of their government when the government was going against their people. I personally think that this is a process that should occur when the government is doing shady shit. This also isn't about protection of secrets, but rather, aiding and abetting a hostile foreign power in their cultural proxy war with america.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Snowden is an example of a person who defied the orders of their government when the government was going against their people. I personally think that this is a process that should occur when the government is doing shady shit. This also isn't about protection of secrets, but rather, aiding and abetting a hostile foreign power in their cultural proxy war with america.

Had Snowden limited his leaks to said shady shit then I would be fine, he didn't. As for Assange, again he's not a U.S. citizen so why should he care if his actions are perceived as hostile to U.S. interests? What sucks for him is because he's not actually in the direct employ of the Russian government they are likely less willing to trade him for U.S. spies in their custody.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This logic seems strange, unless you think the opposite would be just as bad.

I don't care for any states feelings over a journalist leaking things they claim are state secrets.

Moreso someone who isn't even a citizen of the country they allegedly commited espionage against.

How he obtained such information is irrelevant and journalists shouldn't need to worry about publishing material that governments and corporations find inconvenient.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Flight MH17.

I see people are running the "CIA planned to kidnap/assassinate him!" line. If the CIA wanted him dead, he'd be dead. Full stop. They spitballed the idea of it, but it wasn't seriously considered.

Pls don't do this lol I know which plane

But I was already shown how Wikileaks chose to...uh... involve themselves, so my question is answered

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care for any states feelings over a journalist leaking things they claim are state secrets.

Moreso someone who isn't even a citizen of the country they allegedly commited espionage against.

How he obtained such information is irrelevant and journalists shouldn't need to worry about publishing material that governments and corporations find inconvenient.

For the record you shouldn't while arguing he shouldn't be extradited, dignify Assange with the label of journalist.

Assange isn't a journalist

Doesn't mean you can't argue against extradition but Assange is not a journalist

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
Had Snowden limited his leaks to said shady shit then I would be fine, he didn't. As for Assange, again he's not a U.S. citizen so why should he care if his actions are perceived as hostile to U.S. interests? What sucks for him is because he's not actually in the direct employ of the Russian government they are likely less willing to trade him for U.S. spies in their custody.
Wait, why do you care about Snowden exactly?

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Just a note that extradition isn't guaranteed. It's going to the UK Home Secretary, and even that's after an appeals process. This Ars article has all relevant information, including part of US assurances to the UK being that he'd serve any prison sentence in Australia.

The US also agreed to let Assange serve any prison sentence in Australia if he is convicted and to give Assange appropriate clinical and psychological treatment while he is held in the US prison system. The High Court was "satisfied that the assurances were sufficient to meet the concerns" that led to the district judge's decision to block the extradition.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the CIA and this ruling. Dude could be a convicted rapist and this still shouldn't happen.
also lmao at all the people in here trying to do some "OOO HE WAS THE ONE WHO GOT TRUMP ELECTED" mental gymnastics. Americans will really try to blame anything instead of looking inward on the absolute shitheap that is their country.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Fuck the CIA and this ruling. Dude could be a convicted rapist and this still shouldn't happen.
also lmao at all the people in here trying to do some "OOO HE WAS THE ONE WHO GOT TRUMP ELECTED" mental gymnastics. Americans will really try to blame anything instead of looking inward on the absolute shitheap that is their country.
Acknowledging he was a factor in Trump winning/people not voting Clinton doesn't mean someone thinks he's the ONLY reason Trump won.

Gtfo with your strawman. You know very well the people bashing Assange for his shit in the election don't think he was literally the sole component of Trump.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
She won the popular vote by millions of votes, the real issue is the electoral college.

The EC sucks and our constitution is shit but there were literally enough people who voted Green (Jill Stein, a literal joke character) to stop Trump if they decided to cast a vote that could elect a winner instead of acting as a spoiler instead.

That doesn't even count the people who protested by staying at home or voted for 'John Kasich' as a write-in and so on.

It could have been stopped. There was enough will to not stop it.

That could happen again.

You'd think the country would have collectively learned after Nader.

Make a vote. Make a vote that counts in the EC.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
For the record you shouldn't while arguing he shouldn't be extradited, dignify Assange with the label of journalist.

Assange isn't a journalist

Doesn't mean you can't argue against extradition but Assange is not a journalist
Several journalist organizations and unions disagree with you. Journalist/journalism is fairly loose term so I guess, there is case to be made that he is not a journalist. Present it as clear cut issue is nonsense, considering how the journalist industry has recognized Assange as journalist for a long time.

It's not surprise that mostly US press has hardest time call Assange journalist. But even in US you can see arguments for both sides.

edit. Given that his credibility as good or ethical journalist/publisher is another issue.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Several journalist organizations and unions disagree with you. Journalist/journalism is fairly loose term so I guess, there is case to be made that he is not a journalist. Present it as clear cut issue is nonsense, considering how the journalist industry has recognized Assange as journalist for a long time.

It's not surprise that mostly US press has hardest time call Assange journalist. But even in US you can see arguments for both sides.

edit. Given that his credibility as good or ethical journalist/publisher is another issue.

Good for them

He's no more a journalist than Project Veritas or the OAN organization, if they want to throw their lot in with these kinds and celebrate propagandists as their own , more evidence the entire media structure is rotten, ineffectual

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Not good. This will give precedent to arrest and disappear journalists in the U.S. if he is really extradited. All the U.S. wants from this is revenge for the revealing of war crimes. The U.S. government is fucking dumb man, this won't stop future whistleblowers like they think.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Flight MH17.

I see people are running the "CIA planned to kidnap/assassinate him!" line. If the CIA wanted him dead, he'd be dead. Full stop. They spitballed the idea of it, but it wasn't seriously considered.

Is that why Fidel Castro died peacefully as an old man?

It isn't fair to assume they would succeed any assassination attempt, especially after failing hundreds upon hundreds of them that we know about.