alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
www.e-businessconsulting.it

The Public opt-out registry in Italy started on July 27, 2022

On July 27, 2022, the Public opt-out registry extended to all national telephone numbers, allows the CITIZENS to opt-out of unwanted telemarketing calls

From July 27, all companies wishing to carry out telemarketing activities, without prejudice to the acquisition of consent by the user, have the obligation to submit to the register all the numbers they intend to use for the campaign respecting the prohibition to contact the numbers entered. Law no. 5/2018, provides for the obligation for those who hold a database of telephone numbers for telemarketing purposes to check their data with the register at least monthly.

starting from the 27h of July the service has been amended, finally allowing users to also register their cellphone numbers to the registry.
the registry already existed in the past, but it only allowed to register landline phone numbers.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
We have a similar thing here in The Netherlands, but unfortunately it doesn't always work, some companies just don't care and call you anyways. Especially foreign ones.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
We've had this in the UK for years and it barely does anything. Legitimate companies might abide by it but calls from "Microsoft" about how your computer has been hacked or insurance calls about a car accident you didn't have recently certainly don't.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
I can only agree with the other posters, in France the equivalent doesn't work.

OP
OP

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
damn, let's hope for the best...

Li Kao NekoFever Carn

just out of curiosity what type of marketing calls are more common in your countries?

here for me 90% of them are about switching phone company / internet provider, with some electric company switching request sprinkled in.

in winter I was getting some crypto calls, but I've not got any since then

edit: thinking about it at least we should not be getting as many calls from international call centers as you guys do in the Netherlands, UK and France... italian is not really that commonly spoken abroad and marketing calls in english would be absolutely useless here

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah I think Switzerland has something like that, but it does not stop foreign calls. We get like a shitton of calls from like France on the home line, and we don't even bother using that anymore. It's just a spam machine

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
My dad already signed it and already got a couple of spam calls. I think big companies will respect it, but small contractors will keep going until they get hit with some lawsuit. Obviously grifters from foreign countries won't care, they're criminals to begin with.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
the US has this right? Pretty sure I'm on it but I still get 3+ calls a fucking day

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
damn, let's hope for the best...

Li Kao NekoFever Carn

just out of curiosity what type of marketing calls are more common in your countries?

here for me 90% of them are about switching phone company / internet provider, with some electric company switching request sprinkled in.

in winter I was getting some crypto calls, but I've not got any since then

edit: thinking about it at least we should not be getting as many calls from international call centers as you guys do in the Netherlands, UK and France... italian is not really that commonly spoken abroad and marketing calls in english would be absolutely useless here

Yeah it's similar. Mostly energy or internet or phone related things, or sometimes even some travel/vacation offers. The "foreign" ones are still in Dutch, but call from a foreign number. That said, it does help but companies still find loopholes to keep calling, hehe.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I've signed up for that in the US, but phone scammers don't care about breaking the law. Often they're in other countries and using VOIP to spoof local numbers. I never get spam calls from legit businesses, they're always phone scammers trying to harvest info or robot scare calls.

Oct 30, 2017
In the UK it largely stops "legitimate" marketing calls, but spammers and scam calls don't give a f**k so you still get them.

My old company had to put a number on the list because it kept getting marketing calls, and those stopped, and because it wasn't in any way a public number it never got scam calls. It was the emergency phone in the lift. Used to be hilarious when a marketing call would call it; you could hear them in the distance "hello, hello is anyone there?" because it was always set to auto-answer in case of emergency.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Had it in Norway for a decade+, not sure when they started the registry.

Still get scammers though. "I am calling from Microsoft support" with a heavy Indian accent, happens every couple of weeks.

GarbColle

Sep 5, 2019
The only two kind of cold calls I get here in Germany are polls (which IIRC are allowed to ignore these kind of lists because "research"), and scams (which do not care about these kind of lists).

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Have this in Netherlands for a while and it doesnt really work. Some still call. But worse now. These companies now come out your door instead off a call.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
As someone in Italy, fucking finally! I was sick and tired of my main number getting spam bombed while I work. A lot of the calls were outright scams too.

Oct 26, 2017
www.e-businessconsulting.it

The Public opt-out registry in Italy started on July 27, 2022

On July 27, 2022, the Public opt-out registry extended to all national telephone numbers, allows the CITIZENS to opt-out of unwanted telemarketing calls

starting from the 27h of July the service has been amended, finally allowing users to also register their cellphone numbers to the registry.
the registry already existed in the past, but it only allowed to register landline phone numbers.
Fucking finally. My parents actually got rid of their landline months ago due to these pests.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We have a similar thing here in The Netherlands, but unfortunately it doesn't always work, some companies just don't care and call you anyways. Especially foreign ones.
I kid you not that I'm literally being called this very minute. It's insufferable. I barely pick up my phone anymore, which is honestly quite disturbing since I'm a freelancer.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I always somewhat enjoy the weekly calls about being in the car accident that wasn't my fault. Even more hilarious when I tell them no I wasn't and they still carry on and insist I very much was in an accident that wasn't my fault.

Amazing I keep forgetting about these incidents

Oct 26, 2017
Same here, I literally had to unplug my landline. It's VOIP, so it's already included in my internet plan and I can't cancel it. Unplugging it was my only option.
I was always perplexed how shit like this is even legal. It's harassment plain and simple. Will talk to my parents today so they can opt out once it's available to them.

We've had this in the UK for years and it barely does anything. Legitimate companies might abide by it but calls from "Microsoft" about how your computer has been hacked or insurance calls about a car accident you didn't have recently certainly don't.
The problem in Italy is that the legit companies are harassing people on a constant basis. That is on top of the scam calls. It's absolutely out of control. We're talking 20+ calls a day in some cases.
They effectively made using a phone impossible for lots of people.

Last edited: