• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
being a Rock movie it means it's exciting or terrible.

Jumanji has a video game so cool.

The hot girl becoming an ugly fat guy hilarious.

The rock and Kevin hart can do no wrong

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I half-watched this the other night while working on my other computer. Surprised at how much I enjoyed it, the video game angle was fun. Was this a hit with kids? I feel like it should have been.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I like the idea that in the sequels it would be the same avatars but different kids playing, so they have to take on new personalities each time.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty good. I think my expectations blew up because of how well it was doing at the BO and the general buzz, plus I loved Walk Hard. I also think I got a little spoiled because I saw Game Night the week before and that surprisingly became one of my favorite comedies. I'm glad Kasdan got a huge hit, though.

Seriously, y'all--don't sleep on Game Night.

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the movie overall, but I laughed unreasonably hard at the girl in Jack Black's body learning to pee as a guy. The movie was a lot better than I expected, but that whole bit was great.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It was a lot better than I thought it would be. The trailers made it look like it could either be good fun or really, REALLY bad. Thankfully it was the former.

As someone who grew up with Robin Williams' Jumanji and liked it, I didn't think it needed a remake, but they did the source material justice and the cast was good. Jack Black was funny, The Rock was good in it (I do enjoy watching him in most movies even though I hate wrestling) and it was nice to see Karen Gillan getting a bigger role.

I wouldn't say it was "so, so good." It's not great, to me. But it is good fun and a pretty good movie, especially as far as remakes go. It starts better than it ends.

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it free on any streaming service? It looks like something that I'd be able to half watch which I'm always looking for.

Oct 30, 2017
I thought it was absolutely horrendous with no redeeming qualities. I watched the original a day after, and solidified that impression even more.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie. The cast is great together. Lots of funny moments.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's pretty good. I think my expectations blew up because of how well it was doing at the BO and the general buzz, plus I loved Walk Hard. I also think I got a little spoiled because I saw Game Night the week before and that surprisingly became one of my favorite comedies. I'm glad Kasdan got a huge hit, though.

Seriously, y'all--don't sleep on Game Night.
Truthfact. Game night was such an unexpected gem. I have such a crush on dorky Rachel McAdams.

GitarooMan

Oct 27, 2017
It's good but it's one of those movies where the first half is better than the second. The ending sort of falls flat IMO but still mostly enjoyable.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It honestly is. Just dumb and hugely entertaining with some fantastic comedic performances.

It's good but it's one of those movies where the first half is better than the second. The ending sort of falls flat IMO but still mostly enjoyable.

This is true. It kind of slogs after 2/3 in and never quite regains its footing and I wasn't super into the final scenes.

Dec 22, 2017
I really thought I would hate this movie, but soon as I saw Murray from Flight of the Conchords as the game host I knew I was in for a treat.

The Rock and Kevin Hart play off each other and the rest of the cast so well. I think this was Jack Black's best comedic performance in years, and Karen Gillan as Ruby Roundhouse was great too. She might actually be my favorite part. The flirting scene is incredible.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It was better than I expected, which is mostly because its previous attempts at sequels have been shit, and because it was actually fairly competent.

I think the spread of jokes revolving around Jack Black's penis are lame and counterintuitive to making a timeless kid-friendly action movie, and I'm not sure how I feel about the Ruby Roundhouse character and how they sexualized her.

Narratively, it clumsily straddles that line of being entertaining to pre-teens while being too juvenile for adults while being too adult for kids, and I think a better editor and scriptwriter(s) could have solved this.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I finally got around to seeing it a few months ago from Redbox. Both my friend and I we're excited to finally watch it given the box office performance and generally solid word of mouth.

My goodness - what a disappoint. I wasn't expecting a game changer or anything but it wasn't funny or entertaining. I would not watch it again.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see this sentiment a lot.

And it's fucking not. It's absolute garbage. The original is no high cinema or anything, but the sequel is bargain bin trash.

Also, there's something seriously wrong with people who like Kevin Hart or jack black. Let alone both.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyable film. I had low expectations going into it, but I loved it.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I really wonder where they'll take the sequel, and what the casting will be like. It'll have some very lofty expectations, considering the success of the 2017 title.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I was fine with it. Nowhere near the level of the original which is a true classic. Also enjoyed Zathura a lot more than this one.

That said, I enjoyed it. I'm just bummed the sequel will not reinvent the wheel again like this one. I guess it would be cool if they could bring the characters from the game into the real world, ala a mix of Jumanji 1 and Last Action Hero.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I thought it was gonna be rubbish, but was actually surprised it was not bad at all

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhhh, don't think I'll ever get around to watching it. Jumanji is a stone-cold classic even with its dated CGI. Fucking charming. I feel it'll tarnish.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine for an adventure comedy these days. I thought the main story arc around the bas guy could have been better though. It's also one of those films that suffer if you had seen the wrong trailer that gave away half of the gags.