• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
It's more this
EOG4x0CW4AAHeWt.png
I think this perfectly describes the situation. As I mentioned, this announcement more or less addresses many of the complaints about pokemon availability, post game content, and special editions, and even this isn't enough.

For many of these trolls, I think the goal is to either get GF to give up pokemon, or punish/harm their staff. It has nothing to do with addressing the issues anymore.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Interesting. I never had the impression old Pokemon are paywalled from the Direct announcements, but I can see where they are coming from.

They (players) wanted to be able to capture the old Pokemon by themselves, rather than having someone else trade their old Pokemon over to them. Even if the trading aspect allows everyone to trade old Pokemon for free, they feel the "capturing" game is "paywalled".
No Pokemon game ever allowed you to catch all the Pokemon and 400+ of SwSh I think are among the highest.

The fact that people now complain about paywall only depicts the problem with internet movements, most of them didn't care problem in the first place about missing Pokemon, read or heard about it on social media and decided to join the rage against "lazy devs and greedy companies that cut content, paywall stuff etc".

Oct 25, 2017
I get your point, but the guy is reading the well wishes his fans have been adding to a birthday card. It's like getting a birthday card at work and one of the people that signs it put's "why don't I have that report yet?" I don't think we can't ask people to not read their birthday cards.

I also hate to even think the world has gotten to this point yet but saying don't go on social media is almost akin to "don't go outside". I'm older and remember days without it, but to some it's a part of their every day tradition. Hiding is not really a great way to handle things.
Yeah, the context makes it much shittier than just the message itself, for sure.

About the second part, not going outside for a day isn't the most unthinkable thing in the world either, though. It's one thing to tell people to just leave it forever, but taking a break every now and then is good for everyone's mental health, imo. Though it has nothing to do with this particular incident, mind you. You're right that this kind of message shouldn't be included in birthday cards.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No, I'm saying that when you grab any Pokemon game off the shelf that game will only get you a selection of the overall Pokemon roster, and that you have to either transfer your collection from previous titles, trade with other players to get the rest, or pick up the next game in that generation. Only now in this case the next game is now DLC and the overall roster has been lowered to 600.

But you don't need the expansion to obtain the eventual extra 200 Pokemon not included in Sw/Sh, you can transfer them in from Bank. So the people I've seen saying Game Freak is now suddenly EA or whatever just kind of confuse me, because not much has changed here. (aside from the obvious 290 Pokemon that will still be unaccounted for)

Ok I get ya a bit better now, my bad! Honestly I think some people are getting tired of it feeling like they are being mislead by GFs messaging. When all this started I'm pretty sure game freak initially said old Pokemon would not be added as dlc. Fast forward to now just hearing the news headline or just not understanding it it makes it sound like they are doing a ea Activision move of adding in microtransactions after the fact.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Ok I get ya a bit better now, my bad! Honestly I think some people are getting tired of it feeling like they are being mislead by GFs messaging. When all this started I'm pretty sure game freak initially said old Pokemon would not be added as dlc. Fast forward to now just hearing the news headline or just not understanding it it makes it sound like they are doing a ea Activision move of adding in microtransactions after the fact.
Actually in a Famitsu interview they said it was undecided whether they'd be added as DLC.

Unless I'm mistaken, and I don't think I am, they never actually outright said no to DLC/updates

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I think this perfectly describes the situation. As I mentioned, this announcement more or less addresses many of the complaints about pokemon availability, post game content, and special editions, and even this isn't enough.

For many of these trolls, I think the goal is to either get GF to give up pokemon, or punish/harm their staff. It has nothing to do with addressing the issues anymore.
That's not really a fair characterization. It's a pretty reasonable stance to ask for the unfinished $60 game I purchased to be fixed before they start selling $30 season passes.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I think he needs to take some time off from social media during his holidays. Avoid those guys.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Actually in a Famitsu interview they said it was undecided whether they'd be added as DLC.

Unless I'm mistaken, and I don't think I am, they never actually outright said no to DLC/updates

Then I am likely mistaken or mis-remembering forum chatter for confirmations. It just feels like there has been just so much in the info cycle for this gen that I'm loosing track.

UnworthY

Nov 10, 2019
At most from the prior interviews, fans took it as a probable "no" from GF in regards to DLC, but yeah that got disproven. Even I didn't like the Dex situation but this a good step forward.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
What a bunch of sad losers.
From the morons that follow outrage merchants to the misinformed idiots harassing devs online.
Even when Nintendo provides an idiot proof direct specifically about a subject you STILL manage to find idiots to interpret it in the worst possible ways and somehow makes anyone's lives they interact with just that little bit worse.

Getting the White2/Black2 games still always cost me more than this DLC but they're being unusually greedy with this one sure, you could never transfer from GenVI to VII without the bank but somehow Home is horribly worse to the point of anathema because greed or something.

I swear this is getting stupider by the day.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
What a bunch of sad losers.
From the morons that follow outrage merchants to the misinformed idiots harassing devs online.
Even when Nintendo provides an idiot proof direct specifically about a subject you STILL manage to find idiots to interpret it in the worst possible ways and somehow makes anyone's lives they interact with just that little bit worse.

Getting the White2/Black2 games still always cost me more than this DLC but they're being unusually greedy with this one sure, you could never transfer from GenVI to VII without the bank but somehow Home is horribly worse to the point of anathema because greed or something.

We dont know exactly what home offers or the price.....but if it turns out that the gts is locked behind the home paywall, it's not going to go well with the fans.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
We dont know exactly what home offers or the price.....but if it turns out that the gts is locked behind the home paywall, it's not going to go well with the fans.
They could offers sexual gratifications it would not go over well with fans.
The situation is de facto better than it ever was if you ever wanted to catch them all by yourself but it's somehow bad that they offer free dlc to allow people to use mons they couldn't use in SwSh.
Is there any chance that Home could be worse than Bank?
You won't be able to transfer mons from gen VIII to gen VII and you're already stuck in 3DS land if you don't have Bank anyway.
Kinda like complaining about lootbox just because they're in Dr Mario at this point.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
They could offers sexual gratifications it would not go over well with fans.
The situation is de facto better than it ever was if you ever wanted to catch them all by yourself but it's somehow bad that they offer free dlc to allow people to use mons they couldn't use in SwSh.
Is there any chance that Home could be worse than Bank?
You won't be able to transfer mons from gen VIII to gen VII and you're already stuck in 3DS land if you don't have Bank anyway.
Kinda like complaining about lootbox just because they're in Dr Mario at this point.
I mean the gts was part of the base game from gens 4-7 which made trading for the pokemon you dont have access to much more accessible. For some strange reason they removed it from sword and shield, which is weird considering that Masuda wants the games to be more accessible to all audiences.
Now imagine if that feature is locked behind Home.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I mean the gts was part of the base game from gens 4-7 which made trading for the pokemon you dont have access to much more accessible. For some strange reason they removed it from sword and shield, which is weird considering that Masuda wants the games to be more accessible to all audiences.
Now imagine if that feature is locked behind Home.
It's pokemon, we're lucky they didn't cut GTS in gen 5 to be fair.
It was already absent from Let's Go (which according to gamefreak is mainline if you didn't know already).
I'll take GTS getting cut over having to shell out for an updated version.
We missed on USUM (or USUL here) because they wanted us to pay 100bucks for the privilege of SM postgame.
I'll take the pricecut, thank you very much.
And we know we can guess at to why GTS was cut, it's not in Let's go which probably shares more of its code than with any 3DS games.
Considering that the game was rushed to the point that they had to cut the full dex and weren't even sure that they would be able to patch the mons in time for Home compat, it makes sense that they didn't have time to replicate GTS as well.
Wondertrade is in and for my money it's more fun (until it's hacked to hell and back and we start seeing wild Arceus there).

If GTS is in Home, it'll probably be for the same reason SNES/NES app is locked behind a sub : make the service more appealing.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being that guy laying the blame on Masuda when he just wanted to thank a fan for wishing him a Happy Birthday.

Get help.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Imagine being that guy laying the blame on Masuda when he just wanted to thank a fan for wishing him a Happy Birthday.

Get help.
It's even more pathetic when he responded telling him that "he will continue tomorrow" and using the attention in order to get a 6V Ditto and then he "might forgive masuda", the guy is such a loser

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Why is "how about stay off social media for your birthday?" even a suggestion?...

It's the year 2020. I thought all the "nothing productive or worthwhile gets done on social media" people were in resting homes by now lol...

But honestly, responding to well wishes on his birthday that were only delivered on social media could literally only be done by being on social media. Maybe he cares about connecting with those people. Even if that isn't the case, exactly what is the argument for "people shouldn't be on social media on their birthdays"?...

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
I'm more of a casual player but this makes me want to have nothing to do with Pokemon fanbase. The harrassment has been disgusting to witness. I hope the man will have a nice birthday.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
you could never transfer from GenVI to VII without the bank but somehow Home is horribly worse to the point of anathema because greed or something.

If GTS was stripped from the main games to be a feature of Home and Home costs more than $5 a year, it's not a good look for them.

Things are definitely getting dumber by the day but the people you're blaming aren't the cause of it.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If GTS was stripped from the main games to be a feature of Home and Home costs more than $5 a year, it's not a good look for them.

Things are definitely getting dumber by the day but the people you're blaming aren't the cause of it.
GTS wasn't stripped to get people to sub.
It wasn't made for SwSh AT ALL, it's not part of Let's Go after all.
Gen VIII was rushed to production and GTS was cut.
Same as with the dex cut, time is a finite resource and regardless of how much you think they have infinite everything, choices have to be made.
Kind of like idiots who think that somehow they cut the dex to sell dlc.
With idiots mischaracterizing literally everything out of GF, I'm pretty confident in seeing where the idiocy is coming from.
It's not GF that is harassing Masuda on his bday after all.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
GTS wasn't stripped to get people to sub.
It wasn't made for SwSh AT ALL, it's not part of Let's Go after all.
Gen VIII was rushed to production and GTS was cut.
Same as with the dex cut, time is a finite resource and regardless of how much you think they have infinite everything, choices have to be made.
Kind of like idiots who think that somehow they cut the dex to sell dlc.
With idiots mischaracterizing literally everything out of GF, I'm pretty confident in seeing where the idiocy is coming from.
It's not GF that is harassing Masuda on his bday after all.

The GTS has been a core feature for the last twelve years. The game was already rushed and felt unfinished. DLC and cut features does nothing to help that situation. No mischaracterization there. It's easy to see why people are (justifiably) upset.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The GTS has been a core feature for the last twelve years. The game was already rushed and felt unfinished. DLC and cut features does nothing to help that situation. No mischaracterization there. It's easy to see why people are (justifiably) upset.
Totally justified to harass a dev on his bday on unrelated posts.
Masuda had it coming after all, amirite?

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I absolutely dislike what they have done to Pokemon Sword and Shield since it launched but I will never drag myself to harrass developers in any way. Sure this specific tweet is not harrassment as is but still. It's just a freaking videogame it's not like your life depends if freaking psyduck is in the game or not. Those "fans" need to chill. Just vote with your wallet if you don't like what they have done.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
Totally justified to harass a dev on his bday on unrelated posts.
Masuda had it coming after all, amirite?

If we're talking about the original tweet, it doesn't seem like harassment at all, though I can only go by the translation.

The logical reason the fan tweeted him in the first place is because of the DLC news that just hit recently, not that the person was targeting Masuda on his birthday.

DuvJones

Oct 30, 2017
Sadly lots of devs get these kinds of messages. Mortal Kombat fans come to mind.
True but FGC Twitter isn't a place of nuance. It's screaming at the top of lungs over a topic ad infinitum.
Which becomes a problem with technical discussion.

But then that is also all of Twitter.

He should go full Kamiya but then again people also complain about him
Ah yes, the Kamiya response. Honestly that guy has the thickest skin in all of gamer media.

Jan 10, 2018

There is space inbetween being upset and being a constant annoyance

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I was all for reversing the national dex decision, but I feel like Pokémon fans completely lost the plot and are just complaining about anything now.

I've disengaged with the community on social media, and I recommend everyone else does the same. I'm seeing web masters get in fights with people on Twitter and I'm like... that has to be exhausting. Mute them and let them shout at each other.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If we're talking about the original tweet, it doesn't seem like harassment at all, though I can only go by the translation.

The logical reason the fan tweeted him in the first place is because of the DLC news that just hit recently, not that the person was targeting Masuda on his birthday.
Yes the response of the tweet with a big image about Masuda's bday had nothing to do with said bday.
Because context is never a thing and pestering people is always justified.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
That's not really a fair characterization. It's a pretty reasonable stance to ask for the unfinished $60 game I purchased to be fixed before they start selling $30 season passes.
Why does everyone think I'm talking about the disapointed fans that are being reasonable? I'm talking about the ones that endlessly harass gamefreak and others over the game. And I think its very fair to say once you're at the point of harassing and tormenting someone no matter what they try to do, you don't care about fixing the problem anymore. You care about punishing the offender.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
For more context, the complaint tweet is a response to a tweet by Matsuda where he responds to a tweet congratulating him on his birthday.

Congrats tweet: Happy birthday mr Matsuda! [roughly] May you have a happy (new) year!

Matsuda: Thank you!! Psyduck's glasses are the best (laughs).

So it's not just a random tweet but someone who thought that tweet was a good place to complain.

Right, but are we SURE it's harassment? /s

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of insane, really.

Pokemon is now finally doing proper DLC instead of just releasing another game.

And people are STILL mad.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The game isn't unfinished, it's just mediocre. They gave us 8 gyms and a story. It's not like they're patching in the 7th and 8th gym leaders.

These DLCs are completely new concepts. An exploration team hasn't been done before in a Pokémon game. And all of the national dex Pokémon are being patched in for free, so they aren't being withheld either.

You're better off complaining about the $50 Mew.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
If you have a beta copy of the game somehow that's probably worth a pretty penny on eBay and then you'll have plenty left over to buy the finished version at a store. I've seen stock everywhere.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The game isn't unfinished, it's just mediocre. They gave us 8 gyms and a story. It's not like they're patching in the 7th and 8th gym leaders.

These DLCs are completely new concepts. An exploration team hasn't been done before in a Pokémon game. And all of the national dex Pokémon are being patched in for free, so they aren't being withheld either.

You're better off complaining about the $50 Mew.
Yours had a 7th and 8th gym? They must have left the placeholders in for mine. My 8th gym takes place in a reused asset room from somewhere else in the same city, imagine that.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Yours had a 7th and 8th gym? They must have left the placeholders in for mine. My 8th gym takes place in a reused asset room from somewhere else in the same city, imagine that.
Yeah the 7th and 8th gym were weird.
Having the city the city for the 7th Gym totally non-interactable apart from the Pokemon Center and the rest being the arena challenge really disappointed me.
The Beat em up style sidescroller vibe it gave was neat though.
And for the 8th gym I didn't really mind.
Having double battles in a gym again was a nice enough gimmick.
I was more suprised there was nothing in between the 7th and 8th gym.
Only that short sequence were they defeated that rabdom dynmax Pokemon which you didnt even see yourself.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I was all for reversing the national dex decision, but I feel like Pokémon fans completely lost the plot and are just complaining about anything now.

I've disengaged with the community on social media, and I recommend everyone else does the same. I'm seeing web masters get in fights with people on Twitter and I'm like... that has to be exhausting. Mute them and let them shout at each other.
The next thing to complain now appears to be the cursor that appears for one second on the direct because somehow that's proof that Gamfreak are a bunch of lazy hacks and don't have quality control

Last edited: