• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wolftendo

Oct 30, 2017
Fact:
You pay $50 for Mew and get a controller on top.

So all the technology cramped in the Pokemon GO plus is cheap enough to be given free, while a pokemon has enough value to be prized at $60?

I don't know man, that's some logic you got there. I mean, by that logic, Wii Sports cost $250, but with each purchase you're given a free Wii. And we can't rule out that Mew won't be given at any other place (Event/Stores/whatever) four months before the game even launches. They have plenty of time to release info about it.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why lack of clarity of the Pokémon you catch in Let's Go will be forward compatible with the next game and/or be able to be moved to Pokémon Bank.

This needs more attention and outrage from Pokémon fans.

Imagine when you buy Pokémon 2019. And then you find out all the Pokémon you have on Let's Go are not compatible?

It'll be a mixed reaction honestly. I mean yes. It would fly in the face of this article. And probably drive up concerns if Pokebank wont come at all but... I don't know. Disappointment will be there

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure in other countries, but in the US around 50 percent of the country already had online access by 98 and most that did not have online access were older people. Not so much about other countries though. Right now it's at 85-89 percent. 50 percent was a shit ton still.
that would make 50% of people not having access a lot too lol. and access doesn't mean u have the leisure to browse wherever u want or permission from your parents to go online.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
that would make 50% of people not having access a lot too lol. and access doesn't mean u have the leisure to browse wherever u want or permission to go online from your parents.
Plus it was dial-up days where it could take several minutes to load a page and involved plugging through your landline.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, are we assuming Let's GO will get a sequel, or do you think it's a one time thing. I guess it can remain as an entry point for GO players throughout the whole generation. If it works as a transition now, it should still be able to do the same thing in 2020 or so.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Hmmm, are we assuming Let's GO will get a sequel, or do you think it's a one time thing. I guess it can remain as an entry point for GO players throughout the whole generation. If it works as a transition now, it should still be able to do the same thing in 2020 or so.
They implied the hope is for it to be its own new core series

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Okay, but it goes back again to this. You don't like this entry and what it is doing. Why? It's not want you want from a Pokemon game. That is more than fair. I also prefer the traditional games and cannot wait for Gen 8. Where you and I deviate is that Let's Go also looks interesting to me. To you, it does not. Again, both of our feelings are valid.

I will add, however, that sometimes a game not being with us in mind is exactly that. But instead, one can just choose not to buy it because the game does not seem like the type of game they will enjoy, or they can go on and on and on and on about it because they are making this game.

Now, if GameFreak came out and said every Pokemon game, even Gen 8, is going to be exactly like Let's Go from now on, then fair, I would be upset as well. That is not what they have said.

That said, please get rid of random battles for good. I won't complain about that.
I mean, you didn't say anything that I didn't already say. As I said earlier, I have no intention of buying these games. I also said that I'm not concerned about other traditional games being just like them. That doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't look at Let's Go and criticize it for what it is. The criticism of these games and the existence of the 2019 game are two entirely separate things.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
They implied the hope is for it to be its own new core series
Oh, interesting. I dont see that not working out so it makes sense.

I'm happy for them to take advantage of Pokemon being big enough to have 2 core franchises. I'll admit I had assumed that the secondary mainline would have the more focused audience but this makes more sense.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This thread is intense. Wow.

For me personally, I like some of the changes, and dislike others.

Good/interesting/ok changes: streamlining, no wild battles, no hms
Bad changes: opposite of streamlining, more tutorials, more restrictions, more linear

Pokemon has done some streamlining, but also some become more tedious and handholding over the past several gens. It's the main reason I haven't played a game since HGSS and gave up halfway through White. The game was so linear, that I coudn't figure out what to do in order to keep progressing and I just got bored at stopped.

There is some incoherence in the design of Let's go IMO.
Pokemon Go is the target audience, yet that game barely had any tutorials and handholding. Go was always online, let's go barely has any networking features. I'm not saying the game won't be successful, but I think there is a bit of missing the mark here.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is intense. Wow.

It always happens, it seems.

There is some incoherence in the design of Let's go IMO.
Pokemon Go is the target audience, yet that game barely had any tutorials and handholding. Go was always online, let's go barely has any networking features. I'm not saying the game won't be successful, but I think there is a bit of missing the mark here.

Hmm, true. To be fair, GO will continue to serve the needs of GO players (more so than this game can, naturally) so Let's Go doesn't need to hit all of the buttons. But it will be interesting to see if there really is any significance to the design changes they've made in terms of having a broader appeal. I'm still on "GO Success + Switch Hotness + New Pokemon" was a formula for success no matter what they had decided to do.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry, but appeal IS an important factor when deciding whether or not the game as a whole is presented as a successful idea regardless of the Era Bubble toughts on it. What other measure do you want? Metacritic Score? Game is most likely also going to score well so the remaining reason to criticism is precisely the fact that it is not following the ideal that many actual Pokémon fanboys have in this thread to what should be considered a Pokémon Game, even retorting to the Spinoff fallacy in other to take importance away from it. As for the attacks against me, I apologize as I mistook you from another user that did call me names, but insufferable fanboy Is none the less a direct attack and literally the Only Reason you have to call me like that is that apparently it is wrong to find the massive hyperbole directed against this game funny in hindsight of it's eventual success, as I said directly, I was not even targeting you but somehow your warped percepción of what the word Boycotting means made you think I was personally offending you, which is nothing short of pathetic.

Why do you keep insinuating that I was offended, wtf???? All I said was your logic in calling this a boycott was horrible. That's not me getting offended, that's me calling out your shitty logic. You are making shit up to try and make me sound worse than I actually was. You clearly didn't read or selectively read what I wrote. Especially as you confused "appeal to popularity" as appeal when they are both completely different things: 1) Appeal to popularity is a fallacy where you use popularity to handwave away any criticisms, so you make the assumption that "it sold well so therefore everyone loves it." 2) Appeal means the quality in something that makes it attractive. Both are CLEARLY different things.

And ffs, do you actually believe the word Boycotting is to be used in political/social causes only? Shall I use the very own definition that you gave me?

"A boycott is an act of voluntary and intentional abstention from using, buying, or dealing with a person, organization, or country as an expression of protest, usually for moral, social, political, or environmental reasons. The purpose of a boycott is to inflict some economic loss on the target, or to indicate a moral outrage, to try to compel the target to alter an objectionable behavior.

See the bolded, a boycott can be used to inflict economic loss on the target as a form of protest that NOT ONLY involves sociopolitical matters. You know how a boycott looks like in gaming? Just fucking watch the massive spectacular debacle that the Metroid fanbase, which is significantly less toxic than this one, had with Metroid Samus Returns after the C&D of AM2R. If you are still going by your perception of that word, fine let me change that word with one that is easier to understand: Sabotage, there, now I'm not targeting you. Happy?

So basically what you did is bold the parts that you think is relevant to your argument and then ignore everything else. For instance, you bolded the economic loss on a target while forgetting the other part of the sentence that said to compel someone to alter an objectionable behaviour. And usually = "under normal conditions; generally" so you did jack shit in proving how people complaining about LGEP and wanting it to fail is a boycott when 1) by all indications this is going to sell well as I've been saying, and 2) there's no supremely negative consensus to the point that its affecting sales. This in particular is why your Metroid example falls flat, because there hasn't been released sales info that points to a clear negative effect as a result of people complaining about the C&D. Even then, the "negativity" of CD'ing AM2R wasn't even enough to cause people to fully disregard the game to make a point to Nintendo. So, using Metroid as an example has fallen flat, even more so considering we're about to get Metroid Prime 4 on the Switch, which begs the question that if SR did so poorly, Nintendo would not have continued to give more publicity to the Metroid franchise.

If you still believe your own delusional definition of a boycott then give me examples of boycotts that occurred without the aforementioned reasons (political, social, moral, environmental). If you can't, then you only have your poorly conceptualized definition to blame.

And finally, it's clear that you haven't been around the Let's GO thread when you are innocent enough to think that people mainly looked at the lack of Pokémon as the main cause for lack of content, most people I see Actually cite stupid shit like "No REs" and "No wild battles" as Lack of content. You know why? Because Genwunners are a big part of the crowd that this game is trying to please, so they actually see the "151 poke only" as a good thing. I myself have said before that the only legitimate argument to say about lack of content is precisely the lack of post Gen 1 Pokémon, see my post history if you don't believe, but given that you're dense enough to think that I have been targeting you, even though I already explained what boycotting is, I have no hopes for that. Hyperbole comes through the implication that these are bad games because apparently no REs and no Wild battles are an objectively bad thing. Difficulty and other complaints aside obviously, but then again, these games are not out yet so I can't judge that yet.

Did you even read a single word I wrote? Like fucking seriously, did you? When I told you about the lack of content stuff, I was talking about stuff IN ADDITION to the "No RE" complaints, but ofc, you misconstrue everything I said and made it as if I was talking about one complaint > the others. I was in the same thread too and I saw a lot of complaints ranging from "No RE = no content" as well as complaints about cutting out 650+ Pokemon as well as the game being Kanto-only. All of which are valid complaints with regards to lessening the amount of content in a Pokemon game compared to previous games. It doesn't matter if the game is only catering to "Genwunners" because we have better technology now than 20 years ago, and that should be used to its advantage instead of sticking to standards from 20 years ago.

Again with the stupid shit, you're accusing me of feeling "targeted" by whatever stupidity you're saying when I never did. Can you fucking stop making shit up? If you're going to keep saying nonsense like this there's no point in continuing a discussion with you.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Woof, there's some things been said in this thread. Just glancing over some of the things in this thread.

- 3 things that Let's Go had in comparison to Go outside of the catching? Well there is the CP Value assigned to each pokemon to show "Overall strength", sending your excess pokemon to the professor for "Candies", and no ability to breed your pokemon.

- On Mew, It is lame that it's held behind the $50 controller, the controller itself is probably a fine controller, hopefully it can work with other switch games and not just the upcoming pokemon titles, but when you actively block trading Mew's from Let's Go as well a Pokemon Bank. It does feel like you are paying $50 for Mew if that's what you want. It's a step down from ORAS as well which created an in-game event for catching Deoxys. I won't rule out the possibility yet of there being a new event for Catching Mew ingame, or another future distribution giving Mew out, but the Mew from the controller makes both of these unlikely to happen until at least the 2019 game comes around.

- Lastly on the whole "Making it easier for little kids" thing, I want to ask. Have they confirmed touch screen controls for this game yet? Assuming most kids are coming from Go having a control scheme that matches Go seems like the simplest way for them to pick up and play the game since that's what they are already familiar with.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Man I really hope Let's Go does NOT become a series. Imagine if they used this as their new 'remake' series and we never got real Sinnoh remakes...

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
- Lastly on the whole "Making it easier for little kids" thing, I want to ask. Have they confirmed touch screen controls for this game yet? Assuming most kids are coming from Go having a control scheme that matches Go seems like the simplest way for them to pick up and play the game since that's what they are already familiar with.
The only thing they've confirmed for portable mode is gyro aiming. That's the only way you can catch Pokemon currently.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing they've confirmed for portable mode is gyro aiming. That's the only way you can catch Pokemon currently.

Ouch, thought they would at least let you swipe the screen to throw pokeballs. Not even that?

Looking at the UI for battles so far, they aren't making it easy to select which moves you want to use either. So I'm uncertain if they are going to have touch screen controls for that.

CVZXfvZ.png

Feels backwards after the DS and 3DS games all having touch options.

image-3.jpeg

(Also just noticed the information button to tell you what a move does mid-battle is gone now as well, can't tell if the Super Effectives and Not Very Effectives are in because Take Down would deal neutral anyway and everything else is a status move).

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See that's the thing.

People seem unable to differentiate the difference between explanation of reasoning behind things and agreeing with things.

And I'm right about Crystal and USUM. It's an empirical fact that Crystal barely has any changes and USUM has more than people give it credit for.
It isn't just about the number of changes though. The reason USUM got backlash and not crystal, emerald or platinum is because patches and DLC are a thing on 3DS but not on GB, GBA, and DS. Therefore an alternate story as a new packaged title was the only way to present C, E and Pt. But USUM should have been a $15 DLC for SM with new copies of SM including both games ~ 6 months later.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Would be strange to reveal a new Eeveelution now when they didn't bother to do it where Eevee was a focus of a movie

Though it's also pretty weird revealing an Eeveelution when the game your releasing stars an Eevee that can't even evolve

My guess is it's the female Eevee introduced with Let's Go