• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised it isn't rotten already tbh. I appreciate what the film does right, but as a whole, it's a disappointment to me. It has a lot going for it, but more weighing it down.
Yeah it's taking longer than usual, but I don't see it being as low as The Lost World and Jurassic Park 3(not yet at least).

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was really unsure how I really felt about it right after getting out of the theater. It was a bit underwhelming to me, in part because the trailers had pretty much shown every climax of every major scene, but with a few days behind me, it's really grown on me. Even though there were no points that was as exciting to me as some points in JW, I think it's by far a superior movie. It demolishes JP3, and I think it's neck to neck with TLW. Now I know TLW isn't a very good movie, but it has some scenes that I love enough for it to be a great experience for me. For Fallen Kingdom to come close to it, is not something I'd expect.

I'm really wondering what they're gonna do next. I mean
Sure, some dinosaurs escape, but how many are we really talking about here? In any reasonable scenario, they'll be rounded up quickly, and the problem taken care of. I don't understand how they're gonna be able to take this further (with these dinos) without it being really, really stupid. I see no way these few dinosaurs will somehow populate and conquer the earth. Either, someone is making new dinosaurs somewhere, or we're gonna end up with movies where we follow a crew hunting for rare dinos in the forest. I dunno. Anyone got any ideas?

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Back to rotten again(just before 100 reviews which is funny).
bandicam2018-06-1120-3ek9u.png

Dastidood

Oct 27, 2017
So can any body tell me if the boogeyman indo-raptor scene (where it stalks the little girl in bed) is as stupid as it seems in the trailers or is there any genuine tension to that scene like the kitchen scene in JP1...?

Waldini

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So can any body tell me if the boogeyman indo-raptor scene (where it stalks the little girl in bed) is as stupid as it seems in the trailers or is there any genuine tension to that scene like the kitchen scene in JP1...?

There's some tension.

But ... for a dinosaur (hybrid) that is labeled as extremely dangerous and unpredictable ... it sure takes it time to grab the girl. It's more of a raptor ... but it's just ... meh. The design is great though.

There's alot of stuff in Fallen Kingdom that's just terrible ... the film starts great, but goes downhill pretty fast. Please ... please clone the T-REX again, put all the people on an island and make an exciting movie again. The thrill of being hunted by a dinosaur. Hell, I'd pay to see 2 Rex'es hunt the cast ...

Dastidood

Oct 27, 2017
There's some tension.

But ... for a dinosaur (hybrid) that is labeled as extremely dangerous and unpredictable ... it sure takes it time to grab the girl. It's more of a raptor ... but it's just ... meh. The design is great though.

There's alot of stuff in Fallen Kingdom that's just terrible ... the film starts great, but goes downhill pretty fast. Please ... please clone the T-REX again, put all the people on an island and make an exciting movie again. The thrill of being hunted by a dinosaur. Hell, I'd pay to see 2 Rex'es hunt the cast ...

Lol... Just as I suspected...

Waldini

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lol... Just as I suspected...

I mean ...

The start of the movie is great. It's alot of tension ... the way it's shot is fantastic. When they start evacuating the park, there's some great shots in there ... and tension due to the lava flow. After that, it all goes to shit. Last 30~40 minutes happens in a Mansion? Really? It feels like a different director took over. Like I said, I want to have the same suspense as in Jurassic Park. I loved the T-Rex. It was menacing. The Lost World with both the male and female Rex was great. Just make a movie, on an island, where dinosaurs roamed free ... have more than one Rex and go at it ... I'm tired of this hybrid Dinosaur crap. It adds NOTHING to the franchise

Dastidood

Oct 27, 2017
I mean ...

The start of the movie is great. It's alot of tension ... the way it's shot is fantastic. When they start evacuating the park, there's some great shots in there ... and tension due to the lava flow. After that, it all goes to shit. Last 30~40 minutes happens in a Mansion? Really? It feels like a different director took over. Like I said, I want to have the same suspense as in Jurassic Park. I loved the T-Rex. It was menacing. The Lost World with both the male and female Rex was great. Just make a movie, on an island, where dinosaurs roamed free ... have more than one Rex and go at it ... I'm tired of this hybrid Dinosaur crap. It adds NOTHING to the franchise

Oh I meant that comment only for the boogey-raptor scene because it stood apart from the rest of the trailer as some grade F cheap cinematography...

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean ...

saw it and i agree completely
the part in the opening where you get brief glimpses of the trex and mosasaurus in the dark are excellent, really made me hopeful. the volcano run sequence is also very well done , though it doesnt have much to do with dinos. the whole resident evil mansion was however like a bad comic book movie.i dunno whos idea it is to make a raptor the hero of the franchise , this doesnt even sound good on paper. dinos were supposed to be scary. i dunno why they keep putting in those hero vs villain grudge matches in the end.and even tried to add humor to the indoraptor .

Waldini

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
saw it and i agree completely
the part in the opening where you get brief glimpses of the trex and mosasaurus in the dark are excellent, really made me hopeful. the volcano run sequence is also very well done , though it doesnt have much to do with dinos. the whole resident evil mansion was however like a bad comic book movie.i dunno whos idea it is to make a raptor the hero of the franchise , this doesnt even sound good on paper. dinos were supposed to be scary. i dunno why they keep putting in those hero vs villain grudge matches in the end.and even tried to add humor to the indoraptor .

The volcano sequence was good. Everything after that? Not so much.
At this point, I hope they just return to Isla Sorna. Release all the dino's and be done with it. Or, show the island that Lockwood bought to let 'em roam free.

I love that Rexy is still present in these movies but at this point ... she's just fan-service. At the start, she was very threatening. However, the Masrani company "cleaned" Isla Sorna, right? What happened to the 3 Rexes on that island? Did they die? I really-really hope that we'll get the supsense back that JP1 had ... I love the T-Rex, but at this point .. it has become a gimmick.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The volcano sequence was good. Everything after that? Not so much.
At this point, I hope they just return to Isla Sorna. Release all the dino's and be done with it. Or, show the island that Lockwood bought to let 'em roam free.

I love that Rexy is still present in these movies but at this point ... she's just fan-service. At the start, she was very threatening. However, the Masrani company "cleaned" Isla Sorna, right? What happened to the 3 Rexes on that island? Did they die? I really-really hope that we'll get the supsense back that JP1 had ... I love the T-Rex, but at this point .. it has become a gimmick.

I think thats the problem with everything since jp1 . dinos increasingly becoming gimmicks and heroes instead of scary majestic monsters. they just keep going more and more michael bay with dinos to the point where they hardly seem any more special than generic bigger animals.
dinos were scary because they were from a different era , where even 2ft tall compy's were savage predators.not because a few of them were relatively big. the whole blue arc is an utter joke. he's hardly different from an angry pet dog at this point. and finally theres just way too much dino screentime in these films. i literally liked that opening scene more than the entire movie.
And i dont think the 3rd one is gonna go back to roots to be honest.
Our best bet is some crazy producer doing an expensive tv show based on the novel. Its different enough , yet the same and modern AAA tv budgets are big enough to accomodate a season as dino sightings in the original book arent nearly as excessive.
Hell the first 3 to 4 episodes could be made with 0 dino cgi.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean ...

It's weird, I think the island stuff after
Owen was shot
is kinda shit

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is one of the worst scripts I've seen in my life. I feel bad for Bayona, he's a talented director and he did what he could with the material he was given

Deleted member 45166

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2018
The most interesting character in this film was the guy who ...

... killed the old-man.

The movie was a crumbling fossil after the first thirty minutes. And I can't, for the life of me, understand how ...

... it's become a established theme to create animals, and then hunt them down brutally.

Buy, hey, the lead characters are taking responsibility! Isn't that cool? The little girl was the most irritating part of the entire movie. If it hadn't been for the expensive back-seats, I would've walked out.

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I think thats the problem with everything since jp1 . dinos increasingly becoming gimmicks and heroes instead of scary majestic monsters.

They were still scary majestic monsters in The Lost World. There wasn't a single hero dino at all. Hell, you could say that for JP3 as well. Jurassic World on the other, is where it all started.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be driving two and a half hours through OC/LA traffic from Irvine, CA to LAX to see this with my girlfriend tomorrow evening. She goes bananas for anything dinosaur related, and she LOVED the two hour-hour Mercedes commercial that was the first Jurassic World. I did have some hope for this because Jeff Goldblum, but damn, looks like an evening I could have better spent on gaming. Good thing I'm crazy about my girlfriend.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
The ending definitely is a 'why would you do that' moment. It's a very patchy movie. I enjoyed it as a horror film, but it's whiplash all over the place in terms or writing and pacing.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, seeing the film 2 weeks ago, that ending is pretty out there on the weird front.

There's a post credit scene. But don't stay to watch it, it's a bad post credit scene that doesn't change anything.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I recommend everyone to go see the movie and then form your own opinion. I have seen it 3 times with different people and they all loved it. The only gripes they had with it was that the trailers spoiled the whole movie.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend everyone to go see the movie and then form your own opinion. I have seen it 3 times with different people and they all loved it. The only gripes they had with it was that the trailers spoiled the whole movie.
This movie works a lot better in theater. It was the first Jurassic Park movie that I saw in theater. The audience absolutely loved it in my theater.

As for the trailer spoil ratio, it basically spoiled all locations but many great scenes were still not spoiled. Or maybe I forgot about the trailer since I usually don't pay much attention to them. I also didn't watch every trailer and still had a good surprising time with some of the twists.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
D'oh went back up to 55%.

This movie works a lot better in theater. It was the first Jurassic Park movie that I saw in theater. The audience absolutely loved it in my theater.
I'm seeing it this Saturday!

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really get what the phrase "works better in theater" means in the context of a movie that's exclusively in theaters.