Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
A federal jury of six people found Katy Perry guilty of copying a Christian rap song to create 2013's "Dark Horse," one of the biggest hits of her career. The Associated Press reported that Perry, co-writer Sarah Hudson, Capitol Records, and producers Dr. Luke, Max Martin, and Cirkut have been found liable for copyright infringement due to the single's similarities to another song — a claim that may stand in court, but falls apart where music theorists are concerned.

The jury found Perry and her collaborators guilty of copying a 2009 Christian rap song called "Joyful Noise" by an artist named Marcus Gray, a.k.a. Flame. Gray wrote the song with two other writers, Emanuel Lambert and Chike Ojukwu, and they accused Perry of taking their song's hook.
Link

What does Era think? You can easily tell that the beat at the beginning sounds similar, but to call it a copy seems ridiculous.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so ridiculous. Although I don't care for Dr. Luke, both him and Max Martin are pretty amazing producers. To think they tried to copy some no name Christian rap song is so fucking funny.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how hard it would be for someone like me to write an original music beat that hasn't been done before, or at least done before in a similar manner. Seems daunting to someone like me. There's just so much music.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not really...and that song sucks ass by whoever noise is, but get yo money I guess 😂

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Honestly it's not complex enough to tell if it's even a sample of it.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, it's sounds too much the same in parts to be coincidence... they start with the same lyrics for fuck's sake.

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed this was going to be about Art of Noise when I saw the headline, but even that would have been a stretch. This is a weird decision.

Aphexian

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever, they copy stuff all the time for their messages. Thou shalt not steal my ass, pretty sure our old church didn't ask if they could completely rip off the 20th Century Fox logo and play the actual fanfare.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait don't you guys have judges or something? In America, random groups of people can just make legal sentences?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
they dont remotely sound the same.

this is because both have a black guy saying "you know what it is" in the beginning of the song isnt it?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
So much music has been created at this point I doubt anyone is coming up with anything that doesn't sound similar to another song.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
lol Flame. Wow that is a name I haven't heard for awhile. I use to listen to him and a few other Cross Movement rappers like Shai Linne and The Ambassador when I was in HS.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Jury of your "peers" setting massive precedent is totally wack when we start touching on the complexities of musical notation

Christ

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
To me this is absurd, unless it's a literal 1:1 copy you should not be able to sue.

Though I also think that sampling should be completely legal (provided you aren't sampling a huge part of the song).

I mean I listen to something like this and even then I don't hear it either:

(this led not only to a loss of money, but supposedly was one of the reasons the sax player committed suicide later on because he thought people would see him as a fraud).

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the Katy Perry song was sampling this:

Anyway, that is a dumb as fuck decision.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The rapper also claimed the former gospel singer, who has publicly renounced her Christian faith, tainted his song and reputation with lyrics about the Illuminati and other allusions offensive to some Christians. He seeks millions in damages and an injunction halting distribution of Dark Horse in a complaint that—unnecessarily and perhaps with intent to strike fear—lists the apparent addresses of Perry and her team for public view.

○_°

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Musical copywrite stuff like this is such bullshit IMO. Just some lawyer trying to make some money for a client, never has anything to do with how significantly "similar" or not something is, which is honestly kind of a ridiculous concept in music in general IMO. Even if a song contained literally the exact same notes or chords as another in the exact same sequence, it could still sound completely different due to a thousand other artistic choices. But I digress.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
the songs are extremely different. I guess the thing is the trap 'beep' that goes in the background for all of the Flame song and the verse parts in the Perry song, and they are similar, but also extremely simple. Basically go to a piano, play one note four times, play the note one step down three times, then play the note two steps down from that once and you got it. Repeat. That's the Flame version. The Perry version is slightly different at the end. If you were trying to make a trap beat it's probably one of the most obvious things you could write lol. And everything else about the songs are completely different. Also not in the same key.

if you took out 'you know what it is' at the start and had Dark Horse start with the chorus instead no one would think they had anything in common

and that flame song is super corny

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a stretch if I've seen one. The beeping is similar but it's such a basic that it's absurd to call it a copy. Looking forward to a judge fining all the drum and bass scene because the BPM and beats are the same in most songs.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
These lawsuits are getting outrageous.

This video about sums up my thoughts. Required viewing for anyone who wants to see these tracks broken down with music theory to show how ridiculous this case is.

This is getting problematic for the music industry.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
rrYAF8y.gif

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Was the jury judge somehow introduced to music for the first time? It's a very, very simple beat with a very prominent modern aesthetic applied to it and a lot of the song doesn't sound the same. This is just asinine. And it's not the first ridiculous ruling for music copyright.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Twist: they rounded up the jury at a Taylor Swift fan gathering.

Yeah it does sound similar, but it's also mostly a bassline. If copying a bassline becomes plagiarism then hoo boy is the music industry in trouble. I feel like there should be precedent for this?

Anyway yeah not something you should let determined by a jury.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is absurd, the musical equivalent of patent trolling. Jury ridiculousness aside, this sets a bad precedent for these kinds of nonsense suits - even if it doesn't have a legal aftereffect, it'll definitely encourage more artists to sue for similarities.

Nov 4, 2018
Everyday people compose more and more songs. As more music is composed, there will be more that sound similar to eachother. Music copyright needs to get its shit together before musicians are more known for their lawyer quality than music quality.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
These lawsuits are getting outrageous.

This video about sums up my thoughts. Required viewing for anyone who wants to see these tracks broken down with music theory to show how ridiculous this case is.

This is getting problematic for the music industry.

Came to post this. I hadn't even heard of this lawsuit until Rick's video. Out of all the recent lawsuits lately, this one has to be the least founded one.

I'm no music theory expert but I am constantly hearing familiar melodies in songs and scrambling trying to figure out why its familiar. I feel like I am more keen to noticing this kind of thing compared to the average person.

Jul 18, 2018
Aren't these lawsuits etc common? Im assuming one benefit of signing with labels is they have their own lawyers and funds to give pay outs for situations like this. Idk if artist themselves are part of the payout and all this was fabricated by the labels to get extra cash

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Her video has 2 BILLION views, and Ive never heard the song. Well huh.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not hearing the similarities but.. I can't be the only person to be kinda shocked at how terribly shite that KP song was.. am I?

Hearing it for the first time and oof