OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I was shocked when you said you have 4 kids but you usually ride after they sleep so that's OK. I wonder what your partner thinks about this? Do they sleep early as well?

I rarely use Uber here in Brazil and generally during daytime I get pissed that drivers are so slow. I assume there are a bunch of people that think driving close to the speed limit is "too fast" (they probably never drove a car...) so drivers tend to drive waaay slower so that they get better ratings. Whenever I am paired with a driver that has the "safe driving" "skilled driver" (don't remember the exact wording) in the profile I am immediately pissed and know the ride will take 20-30% longer than the usual. At the same time I don't know how to politely say "why are you driving like a grandma?" so I just stay quiet and enjoy the extra 2-5 minutes of ride lol

Another reason I can think of is that drivers might think they are saving gas by driving slower (which in general isn't true). I assume you guys get paid better for mileage than for time spent so it doesn't make sense to be slower.

This happens more often where I live (600k inhabitants), when I am in a huge city Like São Paulo (20M+) they will drive at the usual traffic speed.

I have never tipped here, definitely find it weird that this is almost a necessity for the driver (or the waiter) to make a decent wage in the USA.

Random questions: have you been involved in a car accident while ubering? If so, does Uber offer anything for you? How often (if ever) you get traffic fines?

Yes, 90% of the time, my kids are sleeping. My wife goes to sleep at a regular time, but understands that I love driving. I might as well be playing golf, racquetball, and taking part in some other hobby, it just so happens that my hobby makes me money lol

I have heard from many riders over the year that may encounter many slow drivers, specifically on the interstate highway. I am not sure if people Drive slowly to try and engender positive feelings about their driving skills, or they think they'll make more money by doing so, but I don't think either is true. I drive at or above the speed limit on every Drive. I have a perfect rating at almost all times, with the only negative marks having come from people looking for a free ride.

I think if you said, "you can drive faster if you'd liek, I don't mind at all" it would be a clear indicator to the driver that he doesn't need to go slow to "impress" you,but maybe I'm wrong.

Tipping is 100% customary for restaurant service in the states due to the exploitation of the workforce. It is not necessarily "necessary" for gig work, but try getting a Doordash or Grubhub order accepted by a driver if you don't throw a tip on, it won't happen until or unless the companies take a loss on the delivery fee and pay more to the driver themselves, and that rarely happens.

On Uber and Lyft the drivers can't tell which riders will tip before accepting the ride. But, because about 50 to 60% of my riders do tip, I think it's a little annoying when difficult or desperate riders don't throw a few bucks of tip money on there to show their appreciation for me being out on a snowy night, or on a holiday, or Saturday night instead of going out partying myself. As I said before, though, I'll never rate anyone low because they don't tip. If Uber and Lyft did allow pre-tipping or showed the total ride estimate value before accepting the offer, I guarantee that riders would willingly pay more to get picked up and acceptance of rides would INCREASE (or the bad riders who scheduled shit rides would get weeded out of the system), and drivers would come back to driving, but there is a driver shortage all over for many reasons.

Never been in an accident in an Uber, I have witness several though. I keep my eyes peeled at all times, and especially through intersections, but even I have been incredibly lucky to have avoided what would have been bad wrecks. Admittedly, some of those would have even been my fault, although the majority were due to other drivers going through red lights, swerving into lanes, sliding on ice, etc.

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I've been pulled over twice while passengers were in my car, but once they saw I was an Uber driver, they apologized and sent me on my way. Cops appreciate that we are hauling drunks around and obviously don't want DUIs to skyrocket like the pre-rideshare days.

One time I did not follow airport and guidelines on a pickup and got a warning from a cop, but the airport cops are typically power tripping at all times oh, so it wasn't surprising

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I've been pulled over twice while passengers were in my car, but once they saw I was an Uber driver, they apologized and sent me on my way. Cops appreciate that we are hauling drunks around and obviously don't want DUIs to skyrocket like the pre-rideshare days.

One time I did not follow airport and guidelines on a pickup and got a warning from a cop, but the airport cops are typically power tripping at all times oh, so it wasn't surprising

this is a fascinating thread, thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
this is a fascinating thread, thanks for sharing!

You're welcome!

Here's another great week.
,decided to try a little harder this week than normal:

cDG6v8k.png

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great thread.

I've considered doing it before. But I am the opposite of you. The proposition of talking to dozens of strangers a night is my idea of hell. I don't want to deal with people at all.

If I ever did it food would be my only passenger. Do you have any experience with the food apps? Or just people?

maspajamas

Jan 1, 2020
I had a bad kidney infection last year that needed a trip to the Emergency Room. Our Lyft driver was very surprised to see we arrived at the clinic and didnt notice me clutching my sides and covered in sweat. Have you ever had to act as an ambulance?

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Great thread.

I've considered doing it before. But I am the opposite of you. The proposition of talking to dozens of strangers a night is my idea of hell. I don't want to deal with people at all.

If I ever did it food would be my only passenger. Do you have any experience with the food apps? Or just people?

All in all, I've done about 300 food orders, but this just not my thing. You can make great money doing food, no doubt about it, and your own costs are lower (fewer miles on you car), but the biggest money comes around lunch and dinner times, and I don't want to drive around either of those times. If I were just looking for quality over quantity, food delivery would be where it's app, but it'd be shocking to me if someone could make this in a single day of Doordash or GrubHub, barring several miracles, lol :

oO1Bv4a.png

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I had a bad kidney infection last year that needed a trip to the Emergency Room. Our Lyft driver was very surprised to see we arrived at the clinic and didnt notice me clutching my sides and covered in sweat. Have you ever had to act as an ambulance?

Oh, yes, multiple times. Unfortunately, with our Healthcare system, an Uber ride is a lot cheaper and oftentimes faster than an ambulance.

Far and away, my craziest ride ever ended up at an ER. I'll write it up here in a minute, but it'll probably take a while.

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering when you actually sleep? Like I am a night owl too but I am just gaming late.

I only sleep between 4 and 5 hours per night. I'm an undiagnosed short sleeper and even when I was a kid, I stayed up very late and would still get up for I Love Lucy reruns before school.

If I wanted to, 9 times out of 10 I could stay up until 5 AM with basically zero issues the next day. But when I decide to go to sleep (with absolutely no sleep pressure most nights), I lay my head on my pillow and I'm out within 1 minute.

It's a nice problem to have lol

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Op appreciate you sharing your stories. Ive been thinking of doing lyft/DD as a side gig, and this thread has piqued my interest. I wfh everyday and i miss human interactions

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Op appreciate you sharing your stories. Ive been thinking of doing lyft/DD as a side gig, and this thread has piqued my interest. I wfh everyday and i miss human interactions

I get that entirely. I crave interaction lol

Here's a full-timer from my local Facebook Uber driver group's earnings for this week. He's not as strategic/lucky/crazy as me, but still good earnings for someone who sets their own schedule and doesn't work too much more than a regular job:

kwp8XP2.jpg

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the story of my weirdest/craziest ride:

About a year in to driving, I get a call to a dingy motel in the middle of town. I had seen this place a million times, since it is right off the highway, but never had a pickup there, despite having about 2500 to 3000 rides by this point. This ride was on Lyft, but the rider did not have a picture on his profile, so I was unable to see what the person looked like that I was picking up.

After about a minute, a older guy, somewhere between 50 and 60 climbs in the car and sits up front. He's probably about 6'4", 250 pounds and dressed head to toe in army fatigues. Definitely an interesting outfit for any time of day or location, but especially on a hot summer night.

"Hey, Steven, how ya doin tonight? Where are we headed?"

"I don't know, where ARE we headed tonight?"

Now, that's usually a bad sign if someone is being serious, because it means that they are not my passenger, or they are too drunk/high to know where they are intending to go. This made me uneasy from the start.

"Hmm, looks like the trip says the Candelight Bar. Is that right?"

"Sounds good to me, let's go."

The bar was just about 1.5 miles away, so while I was disappointed money-wise that this was going to be a short ride, this dude was giving off weird vibes, so I was glad to get him out of my car ASAP.

Within about 15 seconds of pulling out of the parking lot, he starts rubbing his temples with a bit of a grimace on his face, moaning"

"What's the matter, not feeling well?"

"Yeah, I'm sick."

"Oh, dang, man I'm sorry to hear that."

"Yeah, it's all these bacterias inside me...and they are eating away at the pleasure core of my brain."

"Ohhhh, man, that's crazy. How'd that happen?"

"When I was in Vietnam, Prince Charles and his secret girlfriend ground up Chuck Hagel, turned him into powder and injected him right up my asshole."

"Wow, that's nuts."

"Now, I have to rub P-23 all over my body, including inside of my cockhole every day or it'll eat my brain away."

"What's P-23?"

"Pure Flouride. It's the only thing that works for what I've got"

At this point, I have slid to be as much to the left on my driver's seat away from this guy as possible. I am cognizant that he is either high on some terrible drug or a paranoid schizophrenic. I have worked in healthcare, and partially with schizophrenics enough to know that most are incredibly harmless and grounded when they are on anti-psychotics and are going through counseling/have a support structure. This guy clearly did not check any of those "safety" boxes to me.

I am relieved that at this point, I am a half mile away from his destination.

But then, almost at the exact time he is going into how he has been injected with unknown substances by shadowy government and royal figures of all types, he whispers under his breath that he would actually like to go to the ER instead.

"I'm sorry, did you say you want to go to the ER???"

"Yeah, I think that's a good idea."

"Sounds good to me, let's get you to the hospital"

So, I head onto the highway towards a hospital about 3 miles northeast of where we were at. He continues to ramble on about conspiracy theories involving himself and the US government. He is angry and bitter, and he smells like stale cigarettes and sweat. It's nauseating and my stomach is already in knots since he seems unstable and unreasonable. Just as I am about to make the final turn into the hospital to the ER, he whispers again that he wants to go to a different ER, since they had saved his life before and would be the only ones to know how to do it again.

Of course, being the world's most accommodating Uber/Lyft driver, I agree.

Back onto the highway, this hospital being another 3 miles northeast of the first one. As I get on the highway, I look over and notice that he has unzipped his pants and has produced a bottle of lotion from his pocket. He squirts a large amount and starts rubbing his hands together. I figure I am just about to witness an old dude in army fatigues furiously masturbate in the front seat of my car, but thankfully (and strangely), he instead puts the cap on the bottle and puts it down the waistband of his underwear, zips his pants back up and goes back to regaling me with more stories.

We finally pull into the hospital ER and I pull right by the door, but Steven is not moving.

"Hey man, we're here. They'll definitely help you out man. Just head right inside."

He still doesn't budge for what feels like minutes, but is assuredly only a few seconds.

He finally opens the door, steps his feet out and stands up in the V between the open door and the car, but just stands there, unmoving, kind of slumped looking down. I waited 15 seconds or so and he still stood there, so at this point, I had enough, was sufficiently flashed full of adrenaline and fear and so I just inched my car forward until I could reach the door handle from the inside, yanked it shut and drove off.

I called the Hospital's ER department to let them know of the presumable future patient in their drop-off zone and took off.

It doesn't sound so scary reading the story 2 years later, but I was freaked the hell out the entire time. In all my thousands and thousands of rides, many of which are down dark dead-end alleys at 2:00 in the morning in rough areas of town, or out in the middle of nowhere, I have never felt so incredibly freaked out like I did with this dude. I ended my night after that ride and told myself I'd never pick up at that motel ever again, just in case.

Another crazy ride about 2 months in to driving I picked up outside of a gay bar known for it's super fun drag shows. There was a super tall, super buff masculine person in a mini-skirt and corset outside talking to other patrons.

Evan, the rider, gets in the car, and I say, "Wow, did you see him? That's a pretty impressive outfit!"

"Oh yeah, that's Sam. He's great right? I dress up sometimes, too, but I play a character named Bitzy"

"That's cool, I've heard they have pretty good drag shows in there. So you walk the catwalk and everything?"

"Yeah, and I love it! but I wasn't performing tonight, just drinkin... and (sighs) now I gotta go home to my roommate..."

"Haha, why do you say, "gotta go?" Is he pretty lame or something?"

"No, he's actually really nice, but I love sucking dick and he pierced the end of his and it ended up bifurcating like a snake's tongue. Like I said, I love sucking dick, but his is just gross to look at.

"Damn! I've seen pictures of bifurcated dicks online and it does look pretty horrible. Gotta be one of those situations where you say to yourself, "I immediately regret this decision!"

"Yeah, he still keeps a big ring in it, too, and it's just nasty!"

"Yikes."

"I bet you got a BIG ol' dick, though, don't you?"

I laugh at this comment, since you could tell he was trying to both get a rise out of me, and see if I was interested.

"Yep, at least that's what my wife tells me"

"Well, why don't you pull it out and show it to me?"

"Yeah, no thanks. I'm married and I don't think my wife would appreciate that"

"I won't tell her. I'd love to suck your dick."

"She definitely wouldn't appreciate that, and I'm straight man, so not interested."

"I've sucked lots of Uber drivers dicks and they all say they're straight."

"That's cool for them, but I actually mean it, plus the whole not cheating on my wife thing. Not interested."

He goes on and on about the various dicks he's sucked and how I should just pull over, etc. I am starting to get very agitated because it went from being jokes and even an open invitation, which is fine, to persistent nagging and crude comments, which is sexual harassment.

At the end of the ride, I said,

"Is this your house here on the right?"

"Yeah, but there is actually a parking lot at the end of the street, why don't you pull in there and I'll take care of you really quick?"

"Ride's up, man, time to get out."

I definitely reported Evan to Lyft. I'm not sure if they got kicked off the platform or not, I never received word one way or the other.

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I was just sad in general and I just wish you were doing something else with the hustle is all. Apologies for the snipe / vague posting and thanks for actually contributing to the discussion.

No worries! Trust me, if there was better money to be made in a side hustle elsewhere, I'd probably do it, but there is very few places on earth that I can legally make $650 on a Saturday.

I am all ears if you know a spot, though. :P

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
7pm-10pm is like the only time I have to see my kids/wife during the week.

Sounds like good side money, but I miss my kids and wife like crazy, so I couldn't do this. (3 kids)

Already feel like I don't spend enough time with my children.

That easy weekend money sounds sweet though. I do enjoy driving.

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
No worries! Trust me, if there was better money to be made in a side hustle elsewhere, I'd probably do it, but there is very few places on earth that I can legally make $650 on a Saturday.

I am all ears if you know a spot, though. :P
Yeah, im being very optimistic and wishing you could just hang with your kids all day, but the world must change first!

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, im being very optimistic and wishing you could just hang with your kids all day, but the world must change first!

There's only so much of those loveable small people I can take lol :)

Had a ride last night at 11 pm that took me 2 hours and fifteen minutes away. Didn't get home until almost 4 in the morning! Fortunately, I got a 2-hr power nap and I'm feeling great. Omaha has the NCAA Women's volleyball tournament in town for the next couple weeks, so I am sure there will be a lot of good nights to come :)

That ride paid $174 (with tip) and took 4:40 there and back, so it was good total cash, but not amazing per hour.

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Question: I haven't used either app before. Which works you recommend as a new user?

As a rider using them infrequently, download both and check how much each ride will cost and which has an estimated ride closer and then figure out which has better value. In my region, Uber drivers make a lot more than Lyft drivers, so if they are about the same, go with Uber for the sake of the driver, but if not, just go with the better option that works better for you.

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
In an effort to gauge the conversational aspect of my driving, I recorded about 6 hours of driving last night on an audio recording and, wow, my voice is annoying as hell! Lol

Between rides, I also sing to myself (badly, most of the time lol) , randomly replay a comment or aspect of the ride under my breath, and burp loudly.

I might start doing this on a regular basis to be able to capture any over-the-top funny moments, for my most-likely-to-never-happen stand-up comic career turn.

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Made $880 last night! Biggest day ever. College World Series being back in full swing is amazing and seeing downtown Omaha really come alive for the first time since 2019 os awesome.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Wow nice update! I'm in Boston where I heard on the news they are short on drivers. I know I could probably bust my butt(long daily hours) and make what I used to make in 5 days in just 3.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Used to drive Uber/Lyft in Omaha as well about 3 years ago. It's a great market for it and you learn about so many cool spots and different places you've never been in the city.

Always use to go to 120th and Dodge Hyvee as that was nearest to town and that seemed to get me a lot of fairs.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Man I just wanted to say I really appreciate your writing style. Very interesting and funny thread, thanks!

dmncnby2k20

Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking of doing uber on the side. I WFH so my car aint moving much. Have a Tesla Model 3 with free charging for a year. This is a thread i will be following. Any tips for a begineer?

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Been thinking of doing uber on the side. I WFH so my car aint moving much. Have a Tesla Model 3 with free charging for a year. This is a thread i will be following. Any tips for a begineer?

I wouldn't necessarily do it in a Tesla until you know your market. You may end up with a lot of excess miles until/unless you get the hang of it.

However, if done correctly, you could mark excellent money without worrying so much about regular expenses that I incur, which is already way less than what most other drivers incur, ie: fuel cost, oil changes, etc.

Achievement Earned: 15,000 Rides passed!
OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Given that I have recently passed the 15,000 ride/delivery mark, I wanted to provide a bit of an update to my thread:

Lifetime:

Uber: 9758 Rides, $123475.70 Gross, not including cash tips.
Lyft: 5126 Rides, $50,680.19 Gross, not including cash tips
DoorDash: 218 Deliveries, $1978.89 Gross, Did not receive cash tips

Total: 15,102 Rides/Deliveries. $176,134.78 Gross, not including cash tips

I went full-time Uber driving back in March after being disgruntled with work and generally not enjoying office life any more. I can't say full-time driving is OPTIMAL, but I can say I'd rather do this than almost anything else at this point realistically. It has given me time to play golf each week, have more time for the kids, and so on. I am working A LOT less than when I made this thread back in April, 2021 (like 45 to 50 hours weekly instead of nearly 70 before) and I am still making enough to pay the bills.

In fact, I am on pace, roughly, for about 90k gross this year (including what i had made in my other job and commission checks I continued to receive into May) and love controlling every aspect of my schedule.

As before, if anyone has any questions, I am an open book :)

Nov 19, 2019
Just discovered this thread and read the first page "snail trail" story.

Any chance you drive in Chicago? I knew someone in a past life who liberally used that term.

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Breh, you are the Crazy Taxi

Lol! It's all a bit crazy, I know!

Lots of changes in the last 16 months:

In my market, Uber will now show pickup AND dropoff intersections and guaranteed pay for each ride request (minus tips by the riders). This is HUGE. No more wasted rides to the middle of nowhere during peak times. No more unexpected garbage rides. $/hr and $/ride rates are way up for me lately. Have never made more money on average in 4.5 years doing this.

Lyft continues to be garbage. They reintroduced paying surge rates to drivers, but it's super limited and extremely uneven (eg: charge riders $60 for a $15 ride and give the driver an extra $2…)

I also had my first Uber accident ever. Not my fault, luckily, but dealing with insurance companies is always a nightmare. I'll upload the crash footage if anyone is interested. It's pretty funny, imo.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting thread! Have your earnings gone down much with the recent increase in gas prices? Or have fares gone up also? Last couple times I used uber it seemed a little more expensive.

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting thread! Have your earnings gone down much with the recent increase in gas prices? Or have fares gone up also? Last couple times I used uber it seemed a little more expensive.

Covered in a previous reply after posted this, but nope, they are definitely up! Average earnings per ride is now $14/ride. It's gone up YoY for each of the last 4 years, too

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
How many people tip you?
If someone tips, is it usually $1, $3, $5, or more?
DOes Uber take a cut of that tip?
Have you gotten hosed on insurance or any other fees like that?

(Just reading the thread now, will remove Qs that are answered)

dose

Oct 29, 2017
It happens regularly. I don't mind since, at first I got Covid anyway and wasn't afraid of re-infection, and now I am vaccinated so they can't really give it to me again.
Offtopic, but this is completely untrue. Wtf. You can easily get it again, and it may be more or less severe than last time too.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
bruh good shit! appreciate the hustle man!
its crazy that ive been thinking about doing this since last year but never made the leap and still stuck in my WFH job that im not happy about lol..

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
How many people tip you?
If someone tips, is it usually $1, $3, $5, or more?
DOes Uber take a cut of that tip?

Lately, I'm getting tipped by between 60 and 70% of riders. Most opt for app tips of $3 or $5, but in my last 100 rides, I've had 14 people tip me higher than that, including 3 $20, 1 $25, 1 $10 and 1 $8 cash tips and 8 app tips between $6 and $10.67.