• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
no, we did not sleep on it. it was not good. just really messy and tedious and bad pacing.

100% this. I bought it at launch, finished it, and regretted playing it. I really like the first two games too, but the third was easily the worst of the three and Lara was just so lifeless and boring, the bad guy was the worst cartoon villain with no charisma at all, and the story made little to no sense.

at least Jonah got a happy ending

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
100% this. I bought it at launch, finished it, and regretted playing it. I really like the first two games too, but the third was easily the worst of the three and Lara was just so lifeless and boring, the bad guy was the worst cartoon villain with no charisma at all, and the story made little to no sense.

at least Jonah got a happy ending

idk i thought it was much better than 2. the dlcs were also really good

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Gameplay was solid and it was better then Rise...

The problem was the story's emotional stakes weren't attention grabbing. TR2013 was the best at that, it's formula was simple, save best friend and escape supernatural island run by crazed shipwrecked cultists.

Replacing that singleminded determination and courage to guilt (Lara is a colonising theif, ) and daddy issues vs a nebulously evil organisation that isn't notable in any way. It just wasn't fun.

Jurec84

Oct 27, 2017
Played it and it was just meh, boring and uninspiring, flat characters, poor writing, mediocre gameplay. I barely finished the story. Easily the worst in the trilogy.

OP
OP
Tiago Rodrigues

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

This was the game where she supposedly becomes the Tomb Raider we know and love. That was the point for this trilogy.

Here's the original video where they actually tied the game with the story for the first Tomb Raider game, with a letter from Natla showing up:

Ths would've been the perfect ending for the trilogy that would tell us the origin of Lara Croft. With the perfect easter eggs. The buttler, Natla, double pistols, etc. They erased the first nemesis from the series and the video didn't make much sense since a lot ot it...changed.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
I've finally bought this as it was on sale, plus I figured I should finish the trilogy.

Already I'm wondering if I'll bother. There's two huge problems for me with new Tomb Raider—the character of Lara herself, and the setting, I.e. yet another fecking jungle.

I hate Lara's character, she's a thoroughly unlikeable person. The way she order Mr Friendzone around really grates. It's never, "help me with this, please" or "can you help me with this?" Its always orders. But the real kicker for me was when I switched to the Angel of Darkness character model. The dissonance seeing the old school character model with nu-Lara's personality was too great for me to continue using that model.

I guess one early scene that really hammers it home is
when she gets separated from Mr Friendzone and you're stuck fighting a leopard. Come fight's end she barely survives and makes a real show of that. Old Lara would have had some cool quip and acted like it was no big deal.

There's also the repetition of scenery. Ok, I'm not that far into it yet, but so far it all looks and feels just like Rise, which in turn looks and feels like TR 2013.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it like a month or so ago, and totally agree with the OP.

Honestly got more enjoyment out of the reboot trilogy than the Uncharted series. I can recognize Uncharted as the better crafted series in most ways, but i just enjoyed my time with this series more

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Felt like majority of the game was in the optional content.

The main story was pretty short.

Oct 28, 2017
This was the game where she supposedly becomes the Tomb Raider we know and love. That was the point for this trilogy.

Here's the original video where they actually tied the game with the story for the first Tomb Raider game, with a letter from Natla showing up:

Ths would've been the perfect ending for the trilogy that would tell us the origin of Lara Croft. With the perfect easter eggs. The buttler, Natla, double pistols, etc. They erased the first nemesis from the series and the video didn't make much sense since a lot ot it...changed.

Well this just makes me mad.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The general consensus is to hate on these new Tomb Raider games like they are the worst thing ever. Shadow was a great game.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
It was my favorite of the new trilogy, that being said I hope the next game finds a balance between camp and seriousness.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The plot was awful and problematic, but the gameplay was a great step forward. It had some pacing issues as well. Overall, I don't think it was the best in the trilogy, but it's still a great game that could have used more development time (and a better team of writers).

But it committed the criminal offense of going up against Spider-Man and, therefore, the internet had to make it much worse than it actually was.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Worst in the trilogy but still an incredible game, one of my favorites from 2018. Really hoping for a fourth game in this style rather than a reboot.

Oct 28, 2017
Worst in the trilogy but still an incredible game, one of my favorites from 2018. Really hoping for a fourth game in this style rather than a reboot.
Oh god no. New direction is a must, and I enjoyed all of the recent trilogy.

Tomb Raider 2 remake is what I feel would be best, and there's a number of things they could do to bring that game to life in the modern era. And there's a number of things that original game did that lessons could be learned from today. I strongly believe remaking Tomb Raider 2 is what is best for this franchise in the immediate future.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
For me it was a step down from Rise, I enjoyed Rise way more than Shadow. I had to force myself to finish Shadow, but to each their own.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Slept on? Absolutely not.

I wanted to love it so much, ended up just liking it. Crystal should have finished the trilogy, it's so damn noticeable how a different dev made this game. The balance between exploration and combat also is absolute trash.

Superb visuals though, gotta love that clean picture quality. And I really enjoyed the exploration too, but story wise, certain decisions, and again, the bad balance of combat and exploration really made it a big disappointment for me.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Game had no idea what it wanted to do with Lara.

From her remorse over the flooded city, to the sudden Predator killing machine scene at the Oil Refinery
Like holy shit was this stuff jarring. After every piece of interesting and mature character development the game went two steps back to the cardboard Lara and the old ills were forgotten. The game should have really hammered down on the "dark side." I know that the word "immersion" is kind of a meme at this point, but this is probably the only game where I literally lost all immersion because it honestly feels like there are two distinct teams writing two different Tr games and they just ended up being stitched together.

I think the people who are criticizing Luddington's voice acting seem to somehow brush over the fact that no amount of VO can fix script.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After experiencing the drizzling shits that was Rise's writing I ain't touching anything Tomb Raider in the next 40 years and hearing that things didn't change much this time around makes me feel validated

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Tomb Raider 2 remake is what I feel would be best, and there's a number of things they could do to bring that game to life in the modern era. And there's a number of things that original game did that lessons could be learned from today. I strongly believe remaking Tomb Raider 2 is what is best for this franchise in the immediate future.
They wouldn't get it right. Crystal seem to have always looked down on Core's games. Most of the time when someone from Crystal talks about the old games, there seems to be this "oh, those outdated old things, we don't want anything to do with those but who would, amirite" kinda attitude (there are exceptions, of course, like their community manager) and the mere notion that maybe Core's games did certain things better than Crystal's games seems to be utterly inconceivable to the people in charge of the franchise now. If they remade TR2 it would probably be even more of a shitshow than Anniversary was. They don't understand what made the original games special and they don't want to understand.

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The general consensus is to hate on these new Tomb Raider games like they are the worst thing ever. Shadow was a great game.
If the general consensus is that they suck maybe that's because huuuuh idk they suck? If you find redeeming qualities in that ocean of mediocrity then good for you tho

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who really liked TR2013, I found myself disliking this reboot with each new entry in the trilogy. Rise had bad writing as well but Shadow takes it to new heights. It also doesn't help that it takes itself so seriously despite the writing being awful. Plus as other have pointed out:

The patched out ending that tied into TR1 (dual pistols, Natla, etc.) was the better ending. That should have been the moment where it was clear this Lara had finally become the version we had all been waiting to see yet somehow they botched that too.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love the classic series, and the Crystal Dynamics trilogy(not recent reboots) but I thought Shadow was just boring and tedious. I kinda felt the same about Rise as well though. They feel a little too "AAA" to me, if that makes any sense. All flash and little substance.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
On my way to the platinum. Loving it but glad to have waited for bargain bin price. The dlc release calendar shit keeps me away from modern AAA games.

Oct 28, 2017
They wouldn't get it right. Crystal seem to have always looked down on Core's games. Most of the time when someone from Crystal talks about the old games, there seems to be this "oh, those outdated old things, we don't want anything to do with those but who would, amirite" kinda attitude (there are exceptions, of course, like their community manager) and the mere notion that maybe Core's games did certain things better than Crystal's games seems to be utterly inconceivable to the people in charge of the franchise now. If they remade TR2 it would probably be even more of a shitshow than Anniversary was. They don't understand what made the original games special and they don't want to understand.
I understand where you're coming from but I think it's a bit much calling Anniversary a shit show and the truth is the last time a Tomb Raider game got remade it turned out to be by far their best effort. I believe Anniversary is still the best Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider game. It had its issues. The modern automated platforming style was there, they ruined a number of iconic moments with quick time events such as the T-Rex fight, some levels were seriously gutted or straight up removed. But there were lots of positives to come out of Anniversary especially following Legend. It was a very good game and you could tell the original was respected when they made it.

I believe that a Tomb Raider 2 remake would force them to look at the making of a modern Tomb Raider game in a different way, and much like Anniversary did in 2007, I think it would bring out the best in the developers. It doesn't need to be a perfect remake. Anniversary wasn't. Resident Evil 2 isn't. But as long as that core is there, imagined and realised in a good way for the modern era, I will be very happy with a TR2 remake.

Oct 28, 2017
They need to use the mechanics and the sick graphics and make a Metroidvania with as little story as possible.
Metroidvania is where this franchise needs to stray away from. We need to return to the linear level to level structure. Each level should be one big puzzle in itself. Exploration isn't optional. It's mandatory to figure the level out. Where Tomb Raider has gone wrong is making the exploration an optional side act where the purpose is mainly for finding optional content and getting more XP.

No, exploration needs to be the core of the gameplay. Puzzles aren't about single room physics puzzles. The level IS the puzzle. Navigating it is the puzzle. Also, level to level structure allows them to get more creative with providing wildly varying environments.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
They should have been more worried about Spider-Man
"Yea, exactly that. I'm not worried about Spider-Man," Bisson said. "I have friends working on it, so I'm very happy for them too, and I think, you were saying it, it's a great year. And for me, Spider-Man and Shadow of the Tomb Raider can co-exist. It's a different experience. One's way more about movement, the city and things, and this one is way more about exploring and finding things that make life special."

"Only one game has Lara Croft," Murray finished.

Jan 4, 2018
I loved Shadow of the Tomb Raider, especially that moment with the 7 stations. Some tombs were very fun to complete.

And the soundtrack really did a good job in creating an amazing atmosphere.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest

I respect your opinion as what may be best for the series but disagree on a personal level. My selfish wish is a continuation of this style because I was never an Uncharted guy so these games scratch that certain 'adventure' itch for me. I love the mix between combat and puzzles, although there could be more exploration. Heck, even the collectibles are fun to hunt down and I normally hate doing that in games.

I never played the original series.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand where you're coming from but I think it's a bit much calling Anniversary a shit show and the truth is the last time a Tomb Raider game got remade it turned out to be by far their best effort. I believe Anniversary is still the best Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider game. It had its issues. The modern automated platforming style was there, they ruined a number of iconic moments with quick time events such as the T-Rex fight, some levels were seriously gutted or straight up removed. But there were lots of positives to come out of Anniversary especially following Legend. It was a very good game and you could tell the original was respected when they made it.

I believe that a Tomb Raider 2 remake would force them to look at the making of a modern Tomb Raider game in a different way, and much like Anniversary did in 2007, I think it would bring out the best in the developers. It doesn't need to be a perfect remake. Anniversary wasn't. Resident Evil 2 isn't. But as long as that core is there, imagined and realised in a good way for the modern era, I will be very happy with a TR2 remake.
I don't quite agree with Anniversary being their best effort. Challenging 3D platforming was the core of the original game and with that being gone in Anniversary, it was mostly just boring and tedious. (The fact that the one thing they faithfully copied from the original was its bland colour palette which was mostly caused by technical limitations didn't help.) Legend may have been less of a Tomb Raider game but it was at least a fun game in its own right.

There is some part of me that does want to see how a TR2 remake by the TReboot team would turn out simply out of morbid curiosity but I'm quite certain that it won't be any good.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I think it's under-appreciated. Although it ran pretty poorly for me on Xbox One X, it did look amazing. I don't think I actually ended up finishing it, though, but I have fond memories of most of the game. I thought the pacing and enemy encounters were particularly good for these sorts of action games. I found most of the story segments pretty cliched and cringey, especially the present day stuff, but I thought the flashback to Laura's youth and how they handled the parent's relationship with each other, with Laura, and their ... uhh .. circumstances .. was pretty well done. I felt bad for child Laura, and exploring the giant estate actually gave me reformed flashbacks to the original Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider II, trying to lock the butler in the kitchen. The version of the Croft Manor in Shadow of the Tomb Raider is what my imagination made the Croft Manor in the original Tomb Raider or TRII feel like.
I swear to God, there's always at least one person doing this. At this point it must be on purpose lol

Back to topic at hand, no, people didn't sleep on it. Game is very mediocre. The added hub was definitely not a good idea. Writing is pretty bad. And LARA's character was just bad, I think I prefer Jacob from Mass Effect(lol) and I thought that character was pretty bad. So yeah...

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
It was a fantastic game; almost like a gritty callback to Tomb Raider: Underworld which partly took place in Mexico and had a similar vibe. The best thing about Shadow of the Tomb Raider is that it's very 'play at your own pace' and that's something all three games did well. It's a good looking game, it has very exceptional on-foot and underwater controls, by far the best puzzle design in any Tomb Raider, and it's a great all around adventure title: minimal combat, lots of climbing and swimming, tons of explorable locations, and a good amount of puzzle solving. The DLC was also a lot better than I thought it would be.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Loved it. My favorite game of last year. The game is gorgeous, the world and tombs are a lot of fun to explore, and I just enjoyed the story. Had some really great parts and I like the whole angle of Lara's obsession hurting others.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
It ended up being kind of an odd-feeling game, in that it both tried to re-use as many mechanics and systems as possible from Rise, but also tried to cater to the fans that wanted more exploration, more tombs/puzzles, and less emphasis on combat. While the latter goal is fine in theory, a lot of the incentive structure for exploration and doing other optional stuff is to get crafting materials, and get XP. Which you then use to upgrade your weapons and equipment, or unlock stills that will make you more effective in combat encounters. (Or make you better at getting crafting materials and XP, which then all feeds into the same funnel.)

So the root incentive for many things you can do—aside from things that progress the story, or just whatever intrinsic satisfaction you get from exploring and collecting—is to be more effective in combat. Of which there's so little in the game that it all feels sort of pointless. They re-used systems from a more combat focused game, but then took out most of the combat.

I still enjoyed the basic exploration, traversal, and scenery to some degree. But I don't think the game is great or anything.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
I found it repetitive and boring for some reason compared to the first reboot in the series. Which was astonishing and refreshing for me, but this one... I stopped after being 6/7 hours into the game.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Anybody else feel like there wasn't enough combat in the last game? One gripe I have with the series is that it has a very hard time balancing exploration, puzzles, and combat. It seems like each Tomb Raider skews wildly in one direction and then the pendulum swings for the next game!

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Metroidvania is where this franchise needs to stray away from. We need to return to the linear level to level structure. Each level should be one big puzzle in itself. Exploration isn't optional. It's mandatory to figure the level out. Where Tomb Raider has gone wrong is making the exploration an optional side act where the purpose is mainly for finding optional content and getting more XP.

No, exploration needs to be the core of the gameplay. Puzzles aren't about single room physics puzzles. The level IS the puzzle. Navigating it is the puzzle. Also, level to level structure allows them to get more creative with providing wildly varying environments.
i change my answer to this, this rules.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
There may be some spoilers if anyone cares.

I really liked both 2013 and Rise but Shadow was a total shitshow. We were supposed to get the trilogy's conclusion but what shipped felt more like some side-story (especially considering the fact that different locale was teased in the previous instalment AFAIK).

Everything from the story perspective was underwhelming, starting from the locations you visit (which felt same-y compared to older games that were those grand journeys around the world) to the companions and villain (...wasn't Trinity some kind of global conspiracy? Why we go after some random dude, kill him and we are done?).

I wasn't expecting to witness Lara's transformation to the posh lady we've known before, because it's reboot (BUT ACTUALLY IT'S NOT, NATLA NEXT...or not lol) etc but she's totally unlikeable psychopath and not in Nate Drake ludonarrative dissonance kind of way - she literally kills hundreds of people, destroys village and that's before she decides to go full on predator and slit everyone's throat. There is difference between fighting enemies Michael Bay style and Manhunt-like stalking them. That creeped me out (Jonah probably felt the same, I thought he was too scared to say no at times) and I'm saying it as a huge horror film buff who loves when heroine gets her revenge.

I'm not even going to get into that feral tribe plot which perfectly blends The Descent and My Little Pony when the queen goes OK LETS BE FRIENDS AND START FRESH.

Platforming's rubberbanding sucked and actually made some parts more difficult than they needed to be as Lara kept getting pulled in the wrong direction. Puzzles were OK and graphics amazing.

One of the few games that actually piss me off lol