• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
images

And I never get bored it's such and amazing and timeless movie

It's 3:36 AM here but it was worth it

I'm not joking I have a top 20 of movies that I love and have watched at least 30 times each

I know some find it decent at best but for me it's a very special movie I love the cast story music photography (special shout out to the great LATAM dub Will Smith is voiced by his Fresh Prince of Bel Air voice) the President speech etc

What do you think about the movie? I think it has aged is a science fiction military action movie done right

P.S the sequel is such a missed opportunity...

gif-id4-speechgif.gif

Last edited:

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Love it. Can't get over how bad the sequel was. Bigger dropoff in quality than The Matrix to The Matrix Reloaded.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a bad film, honestly for what it is. Movie has like 10 main characters and you end up liking basically all of them and the story juggles all their stories quite well.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
The diversity of the cast was unusual for that kind of film at the time. I think it's lasted well because of that. The story is very simple but solid. The handling of the characters is what makes it a classic of the genre. The MCU films learned that lesson well and have used it on an industrial scale.

I've watched the sequel a few times. That's a different kind of film, in which stock characters serve the narrative. I have to admit I find the whole thing much less compelling.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of movies where the military features so prominently and in such good light.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome movie. The jets vs aliens fights still look incredible. Will Smith is awesome in this movie.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not a fan of movies where the military features so prominently and in such good light.
Not many blockbusters that avoid glorifying USA military, otherwise they wouldn't allow use of props and licenses. I love films that are more critical of them though, like Jarhead, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, and other anti-war films but then they aren't fun loving summer blockbusters.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Probably my favourite movie ever. I never get tired watching it.

The soundtrack is so amazing too, really sinister and foreboding

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never understood the "ID4" acronym for Independence Day. Obviously the 4 stands for July 4 but that doesn't make sense in an acronym.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It´s a great movie. A pity they don´t really make movies like this anymore.

Oct 28, 2017
Love it. Can't get over how bad the sequel was. Bigger dropoff in quality than The Matrix to The Matrix Reloaded.

Reloaded actually took the premise of the original and recontextualized it in a new and interesting way though. It is flawed for sure but I really don't think the sequels are as big a drop off in quality as people claim. Just my opinion 🙂

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Great War of the Worlds Tribute/Remake, good corny fun.

I can't bring myself to watch the Sequel, they probably left it too late from what I heard how bad it is.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
How do you keep count of how many times you see a movie? Or is that an estimate?

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017

War of the Worlds - 1953 - updated the 1800's book in a Hollywood movie to show American Military defeat the Aliens, Not too long after World War 2 not coincidently, they knew American military defeating the evil alien invaders & saving the rest of the world would sell quite well

ID4 - 1996 - practically a remake/Tribute of 1953 WOTW movie

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
This makes more sense. Interesting!

According to the Wikipedia article, ID4 was the working title of the film because another studio held the rights to the title Independence Day. The famous Bill Pullman speech was apparently introduced in a ploy to get the studio to bid for the title rights. They eventually cleared the rights but seem to have kept the short, snappy alternative title in the marketing. It made for what we would now call a very viral ad campaign.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
50 times? Why?

Why not watch a new movie you've never seen?

I have to go with the original poster on this. I occasionally watch new films but from a purely commercial standpoint it makes a lot of sense to watch the really good ones as often as you want. I haven't even decided whether I'm going to see Captain Marvel in a cinema this weekend, but I'll watch one or two MCU films on DVD or Blu-Ray in an average week.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I have to go with the original poster on this. I occasionally watch new films but from a purely commercial standpoint it makes a lot of sense to watch the really good ones as often as you want. I haven't even decided whether I'm going to see Captain Marvel in a cinema this weekend, but I'll watch one or two MCU films on DVD or Blu-Ray in an average week.

Understandable. I would prefer something new over watching the same movie over and over

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The only films I've watched more than like 3 or 4 times I think is Yojimbo and Lady Vengeance. As for ID - I've seen it - it was ok. Think I've seen it twice? but I could be wrong. It's fine, it's good even but not a rewatchfest for me.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
The only films I've watched more than like 3 or 4 times I think is Yojimbo and Lady Vengeance. As for ID - I've seen it - it was ok. Think I've seen it twice? but I could be wrong. It's fine, it's good even but not a rewatchfest for me.

Yeah. It's hard for me to remember, but before home video players became widely available in the late seventies we would rarely watch a film more than once. I saw Annie Hall once, in 1977, and have seen it only once or twice on television in the past forty years or so. I even saw Blade Runner only twice, in 1982 with the Harrison Ford voiceover, and then the Director's Cut version with the unicorn sequence in 1993. I bought a copy of the DVD around 2001, but never watched it.

More recently I bought a boxed set with all three major cuts of Blade Runner, and have watched all three versions. But that's me looking back in retrospect at my whole adult experience of film and deciding that is the most satisfying film of its type and well worth multiple viewings.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I watched it at the theatre on opening weekend, and have seen it maybe twice since then. I enjoyed it, but I've got no desire to watch it again. An old friend of mine from school had a role in the movie as the daughter of one of the leads, which is cool.

OP
OP
ATOMICJORGE

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
How do you keep count of how many times you see a movie? Or is that an estimate?

It's an estimate because I love this movies and I own them on DVD Bluray and whenever I catch them on TV I stay to see them

50 times? Why?

Why not watch a new movie you've never seen?

I do haha I love movies yesterday during the day I went to the cinema to see Captain Marvel with my GF and some friends

I love watching new films as well but I never get tired of seeing my personal favorite ones