Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Cant remember one bigger than this in like 20years. Only difference now is i no longer live with him so we may not be speaking for a long long time if even.

just had to say it.

not gonna go into details but i had to get it off my chest.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't sound to good, hopefully it can be fixed. I haven't seen my mom in 13 years and I can tell you it's not worth it.

Nov 1, 2017
Its about him thinking im a worthless and that without him ill amount to nothing and that im still nothing

this is how i felt my enttire life

he has never said anything oositive about me. Like ever

Fuck him. Your better off without him and the only person you got anything to prove to is yourself. If your happy, good, that's all that matters. Live how you want. Let him stew in his own miserable sorry excuse of a life.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Man I hope you're able to salvage your relationship. My father was depressed the first 9 years of my life. Woke up for the next 5 years, and then died of a bad heart. Had 5 years with my father, and I was fortunate that it made a lasting impression in a positive way, but God knows I wish I had a father to talk with about stuff growing up.

I won't sit here and project my own wishes unto you, because I know some suffer really bad relationships with their parents - your dad sounds like a bad fucking influence - but I hope you manage and somehow find each other in a good way.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its about him thinking im a worthless and that without him ill amount to nothing and that im still nothing

First, that's an incredibly painful thing to hear from your father, completely understandable that this hurts you so much.

Second, you should avoid speaking to him for a long time, because clearly any kind of interaction is just going to lead to him hurting you. For you own health, you should avoid any interaction for as long as you need. You may feel guilty about that, but just remind yourself that you are doing it to protect yourself, not to hurt him.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
OP, it sucks but dont let it get you down. A good father doesn't ask for accolades from their children on Father's Day. They get celebrated by their kids oif they were indeed a good parent. It sounds like your father is perhaps not a good man.

ArtTeitlebaum

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Don't let him drag you down in a sea of anger and negativity. Try to cool down and distract you from this trouble.
Then be cool and analytical and try to avoid him in the future. It's better for your and his mental health.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't sound to good, hopefully it can be fixed. I haven't seen my mom in 13 years and I can tell you it's not worth it.

Being in a toxic relationship is not worth it either.

Sadly there is no painless solution for these things, usually.

That's abuse. Not an argument or fight. You should cut ties. I'm sorry.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017

What a cunt

Good on you for standing up for yourself. No reason to keep that poison in your life.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Father's Day, at the end of the day, is just a marketing plot, OP. If your father is a piece of shit it's better to cut him out.

Mine had he same mentality as yours, it seems - for him parenthood was providing money. The rest wasn't included, it seems, and I can say the scars left do hurt. I cut him off two years ago, and not having to deal with all his bullshit is a reprieve.

It's gonna hurt, and it isn't easy. Go open a beer, do something you like, and don't give him the satisfaction of ruining your day.

OP
OP
Phonzo

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Father's Day, at the end of the day, is just a marketing plot, OP. If your father is a piece of shit it's better to cut him out.

Mine had he same mentality as yours, it seems - for him parenthood was providing money. The rest wasn't included, it seems, and I can say the scars left do hurt. I cut him off two years ago, and not having to deal with all his bullshit is a reprieve.

It's gonna hurt, and it isn't easy. Go open a beer, do something you like, and don't give him the satisfaction of ruining your day.
Great advice on the alcohol right now. Totally forgot. Gonna make me a cocktail and finish tlou 2.

joel for father of the year.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Love/Respect is earned, not given. If he's shitty then fuck him, regardless if he is your dad. I understand how you feel. Excise all that negative bullshit, you don't deserve that.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry to hear that OP. But from what I can tell you are at least in a position where you can take a stand against him and cut him off if everything fails.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Get ready for clowns who are going to barge in and say that you shouldn't disown family

OP
OP
Phonzo

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
My boss of 8 years, who just retired 3 months ago, is much more of a father figure to me. When he retired and announced it to our team during a conference i cried during the conference and people were consoling me.

he helped me moved onto a different department within the company once he left, and guess what he said to my new boss? Treat him as if he was my son. It hit me so hard. He was well respected Within the company.

edit: im just having random thoughts now that im tipsy.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Living well is the best revenge.

Not going to make assumptions but I wouldn't be surprised if he is suffering from his own personal inadequacies and has spent a lifetime offloading them onto you. Probably unaware of the damage. Not an excuse but merely trying to re-frame his bullshit so you don't blame yourself or take his grievances seriously.

Just don't let his discouraging words overwhelm. Focus on yourself and your positives, he wins if you let him take that away.

Also, you are upset because you care. It's normal and it shows the good within that he isn't recognizing. Unfortunately you may be unable to reach him through words, arguments, etc... so again divert your frustration and anger to more productive things. He isn't worth ruminating over or spiraling into self doubt. Sometimes that does mean cutting off that negative source, but until you can get used to brushing off his BS and just seeing it for what it is, it's best to let him go.

Oct 30, 2017
My wife spoke to her dad for the first time today since Thanksgiving when he threatened to kill our dog, probably the biggest fight ive seen them have. I almost stepped in to lay him out if it came to it. At Christmas he cocked his arm back and threatened to punch his other daughter. Whats up with them dads?!

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry OP. You don't need that negativity in your life. Any anger or resentment about you is on him and not you.