Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
went to the loo in the cinema and there were two kids mucking about in there. one was white, one was black, and they both looked super young - like 4 or 5. what kinda surprised me is that i could overhear both of them using 'fuck' and 'fucking' in their conversation - odd for kids that young, but whatever i guess - but then there was the clincher: during a bit of a playful tussle, the white kid called the black kid the n-word. they were obviously pals and they went running out of the toilets together - but good lord, that shit caught me off guard, especially because of their age. clearly neither of them really knew what it meant (or at least i assume so) - and i can only hope the white kid wasn't calling him that because he was his black friend and therefore associates the word with dark skin - but where tf does a 5 year old white kid even pick that word up? i'd hope that if this kid was using it freely with everyone, his parents (unless that was who the kid had learnt it from) or teachers would have nipped it in the bud already. i didn't hear the black kid use the word during this either.

i'm not sure where they will have got it from, especially at that age - it's not like rap songs played on mainstream radio/channels are gonna be dropping n-bombs, and it doesn't seem like the kind of age where a discussion about the word will have been had (especially considering that he was freely swearing anyway). complete conjecture, but perhaps the word was picked up from hearing a 'heated gamer moment' from a YouTuber/Streamer? they do appeal to very young kids often.

but i dunno, this shit surprised me and it felt kinda surreal - i'd more likely expect to hear it from a young teen trying to be edgy - not a nursery aged kid. this definitely ain't normal right??

(this was in the UK btw)

edit:
worth noting that it wasn't akin to 'my n—a' which people in this thread are assuming -but more like 'you n—er'. it sounded like they were play fighting at the time so presumably it was a response to the black kid getting a hit in on the white kid.

not that the first variation would have been much better, all things considering. but it definitely sounded like it was a name-call aimed at the black kid.

Last edited:

moonie

Oct 25, 2019
It seems like people have been more openly expressing racism and bigotry lately. Most likely due to bad influence from important social figures (like the US president Orangutan in Chief).

We also see it in the media and pop culture, where language like that is "cool". But mostly it starts at the top, if the world leaders don't see fit to conduct themselves in a respectable manner then it just trickles down to the general population.

That's the REAL trickle down theory at work, right there.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
when kids are cursing that young it's a direct result of how things are done in their homes

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Where I grew up such vulgarity wouldn't be foreign to a number of my friends at that age range, we were raised by filthy mouths, racists, and gun slinging scallywags. Though '4' is young, enough to indicate it being just liminal parroting.

Have little idea how things go in the suburbs of your corner of the UK though! If they seemed innocuous enough, it could very well be from some kind of online influencer(s) lol.

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
Kids are probably exposed to it pretty early via the media they consume and are probably too young to understand the full meaning and context of the word

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where were the parents? I feel like I would have scolded the brat.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
A 4 year old has mom or dad in the bathroom as well. Lots of 5 yo as well. These kids were much older. Also, yeah that's kinda fucked.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kid is just mimicking those around him. Doubt he has any motive at all besides 'the other kids don't say it but dad does' etc.

OP
OP
Theecliff

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be surprised too. That sounds really young to even drop an f-bomb.
Where were the parents? I feel like I would have scolded the brat.
one of the kids mum's called for them from outside the toilet, that's when they ran out. they definitely weren't in earshot of a parent when they were saying this.

but the idea that a super young white kid picked up the n-word from their parents and ends up calling their black friend it is all kinds of fucked, honestly. i'm kinda hoping it's not that and they've just picked it up elsewhere (not that that's much better, honestly).

Those kids don't sound 4 or 5 years old....
i mean during this one of them asked the other if they could tie his shoe lace and neither of them knew how to, so they were clearly young. they certainly looked and sounded it, which is why i was surprised to initially hear them effing and blinding.

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
It's actually getting pretty normal where I live among teenagers and adolescents. I'm 30 and in a fairly diverse city and the high school-aged kids I see and hear all use the nword (no hard r) with regularity. A while back I heard this scrawny white boy say it among a group of black kids and I thought his life was about to be over, but then I saw them all start laughing and realized they didn't care. Gooo progress?

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... maybe he learned it from his black friend? You didn't say if it was -a or -er.

They sound older than 4-5, in any case. Still might be young enough to be parroting stuff they've heard adults say.

Oct 27, 2017
White kid probably got it from his white parents who probably are not accepting of his black friend while not referring to him as "black".

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
when I was in Europe pretty much everyone used it as a replacement for bro

shit was surreal

EDIT: Mostly in Paris, Brussels and Budapest

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
4 or 5 seems abnormal.

Where I grew up, it was basically normal for kids of any race to casually use that word (not the hard-r) in middle school and high school though. (Not that everyone used it, but no one would bat an eye or really care about who used it.) I have a couple non black friends from the same area in college+ now who will occasionally slip the word. And nowdays I'll point it out. Not out of me being offended at all, but more worried about them getting in trouble for using it out in "the real world".

TheHolyTurnip

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tulsa, OK
It's from music and popular culture. Kids don't typically see it a race thing, the context behind all the important essays and books and figures don't mean shit to kids, they just emulate most of the time. This shouldn't be suprising.

OP
OP
Theecliff

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
It's actually getting pretty normal where I live among teenagers and adolescents. I'm 30 and in a fairly diverse city and the high school-aged kids I see and hear all use the nword (no hard r) with regularity. A while back I heard this scrawny white boy say it among a group of black kids and I thought his life was about to be over, but then I saw them all start laughing and realized they didn't care. Gooo progress?
but that's the thing, if anyone, i'd expect to hear it from white teenagers acting edgy (even if that's still shitty). but these were super young kids who couldn't even tie their shoelaces, which is why i thought it was pretty surreal.

Nothing1016

Oct 25, 2017
California
Depends on the environment they are growing up in. I grew up in a very poor neighborhood, predominately Hispanic and black, so it was very common to hear everyone say the N-word with a soft a. No one really bat an eye regardless of skin color.

This doesn't come as shocking to me at all.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hear it all the time from Latino, white, Asian and Indian kids everyday picking up my son from school. It's ridiculous how normal of a word it's become for kids nowadays. I blame hip hop/ Rap turning pop. The music kids are listening to is crazy. Watch TikTok and you'll see 12 year olds talking about pussy poppin. The times they are a changin

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if its "normal" but I was exposed to all kinds of shit once I hit the school system.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
I hear it all the time from Latino, white, Asian and Indian kids everyday picking up my son from school. It's ridiculous how normal of a word it's become for kids nowadays. I blame hip hop/ Rap turning pop. The music kids are listening to is crazy. Watch TikTok and you'll see 12 year olds talking about pussy poppin. The times they are a changin

Someone I know is a middle school teacher. They're constantly suspending people for being caught having sex in bathrooms and such. One time they caught a train going on. And she showed me the facebook of the girl. She looked so sweet. Shit's crazy. I want a girl when I have kids but damn, her leash is going to be short lol.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I see this from time to time. The kids never get decked for it so I guess it might be becoming more normalized.

I couldn't do it.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Someone I know is a middle school teacher. They're constantly suspending people for being caught having sex in bathrooms and such. One time they caught a train going on. And she showed me the facebook of the girl. She looked so sweet. Shit's crazy. I want a girl when I have kids but damn, her leash is going to be short lol.

Shit aint that new. Lots of kids used "nigga" in my highschool, most of them not being black. As for the train thing, similar thing happened at my middle school but with blow jobs.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I volunteered a few years ago at an after-school program for refugee kids in Atlanta. They were mostly kids from Burma or Nepal, but a few were from Somalia. I was supervising them and walked over right when a Burmese kid was arguing with a Somalian girl and he called her a "black-assed n--". It was just so mean-spirited, and incredibly revealing how transparently inferior society must communicate black people are that this stateless, very dark-skinned Burmese kid who had been in America for under a year felt comfortable enough that he was higher on the social totem pole than she was.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't be surprised. My wife's two little cousins, white as can be, was over their place for dinner with her uncle and they were in the room playing fortnite. As we're having dinner they're fucking screaming it. I'm side eyeing my wife real hard at the time until her uncle goes up there to tell them to keep volume down and in turn walks in saying it himself to his kids. I lost it. Haven't been back since and kept my daughter from em too.

OP
OP
Theecliff

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
I mean... maybe he learned it from his black friend? You didn't say if it was -a or -er.

They sound older than 4-5, in any case. Still might be young enough to be parroting stuff they've heard adults say.
Depends on the environment they are growing up in. I grew up in a very poor neighborhood, predominately Hispanic and black, so it was very common to hear everyone say the N-word with a soft a. No one really bat an eye regardless of skin color.

This doesn't come as shocking to me at all.
But was it the hard R.
worth noting that it wasn't akin to 'my n—a' which people in this thread are assuming -but more like 'you n—er'. it sounded like they were play fighting at the time so presumably it was a response to the black kid getting a hit in on the white kid.

not that the first variation would have been much better, all things considering. but it definitely sounded like it was a name-call aimed at the black kid.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City

Yea, gross