Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Avada Kadva instagibs everyone for years, wants to kill Snape, has Nagini do it so HP can scoop up some tears as he dies slowly

Doesn't notice or respond to Harry peeping in his mind for two whole movies

Doesn't confirm the kill on Harry

Gives Harry time to collect his bearings and come to his 1v1 rather than forcing his hand there

Lets Neville give an inspiring speech in front of him instead of icing that mofo

Lets the draco family get away with way too much

IDK as far as genocidal maniacs go this guy was pretty incompetent

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was more imposing and scary in the books. I thought the whole thing was done very well though.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Avada Kadvras everyone for years, wants to kill Snape, has Nagini do it so HP can scoop up some tears

This one was stupid because the only reason he had the need to kill snape was to own the wand. He would have done that personally.

Doesn't notice or respond to Harry peeping in his mind for two whole movies

Destroying horcruxes broke down the barrier and Voldemort never noticed it before. It was only Mr. Weasley being saved back in movie 5 via Harry's visions that he knew it existed.

Doesn't confirm the kill on Harry

He was scared after being knocked out after "killing" Harry. He didn't want to go anywhere the body.

Gives Harry time to collect his bearings and come to his 1v1 rather than forcing his hand there

He thinks that HE needs to kill Harry. And he thinks Harry is no match for him. And he's right. The movies were stupid to turn their final confrontation into a battle. Harry can't keep up with him. The book ending where Harry taunts him into attacking and beats him with rules lawyering wand lore is the only way Harry ever could have won.

Lets Neville give an inspiring speech in front of him instead of icing that mofo

It's just arrogance.

Lets the draco family get away with way too much

He kept them alive to torment them.

IDK as far as genocidal maniacs go this guy was pretty incompetent

yes

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Ii was never a book reader and I'm curious about how much was changed cause yeah he just turned into comedy relief towards then end there awkwardly hugging kids etc .

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Technically Voldy wanted Draco to fail in book6 so that he could kill them all. Leaving Malfoys alive but disgraced was torture for them.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Ii was never a book reader and I'm curious about how much was changed cause yeah he just turned into comedy relief towards then end there awkwardly hugging kids etc .
In the book the hug is not there, but it mostly plays about the same with the Death Eaters walking up to the castle, taunting them with Harry's body, and Neville cutting off Nagini's head.

But there was no big battle between Harry and Voldemort. Harry helps out while under the cloak and doesn't reveal himself until after Mrs. Weasley kills Belatrix and he stops Voldemort from killing her. They then proceed to walk in a circle around each other and Harry taunts him into attacking, betting on wand-lore rules protecting him.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Voldemort was always an idiot. From day 1 he was making a series of mistakes and only got away with it because the wizarding world was perpetually stuck in the 1600s

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This one was stupid because the only reason he had the need to kill snape was to own the wand. He would have done that personally.
If Nagini's actually a woman wouldn't she have had had dominion of the wand meaning that Neville is the true Elder Wand owner if Malfoy hadn't disarmed Dumbledore first?

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
If Nagini's actually a woman wouldn't she have had had dominion of the wand meaning that Neville is the true Elder Wand owner if Malfoy hadn't disarmed Snape first?

If Malfoy hadn't disarmed Dumbledore, the wand's power would have broken. Snape would have killed Dumbledore, but it wouldn't have been a true battle to win the wand. Dumbledore's death was pre-arranged. Dumbledore would have died undefeated and no one would be the next owner.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

Destroying horcruxes broke down the barrier and Voldemort never noticed it before. It was only Mr. Weasley being saved back in movie 5 via Harry's visions that he knew it existed.

He was scared after being knocked out after "killing" Harry. He didn't want to go anywhere the body.

He thinks that HE needs to kill Harry. And he thinks Harry is no match for him. And he's right. The movies were stupid to turn their final confrontation into a battle. Harry can't keep up with him. The book ending where Harry taunts him into attacking and beats him with rules lawyering wand lore is the only way Harry ever could have won.

It's just arrogance.

He kept them alive to torment them.

yes
In the book the hug is not there, but it mostly plays about the same with the Death Eaters walking up to the castle, taunting them with Harry's body, and Neville cutting off Nagini's head.

But there was no big battle between Harry and Voldemort. Harry helps out while under the cloak and doesn't reveal himself until after Mrs. Weasley kills Belatrix and he stops Voldemort from killing her. They then proceed to walk in a circle around each other and Harry taunts him into attacking, betting on wand-lore rules protecting him.
Yeah. The problem with the movie is that they only explained why Harry won AFTER the fight and thus confusing viewers who were not privy to Harry's internal monologue in the books.

The entire battle always came down to Harry figuring out the wand's bullshit gimmick and that he was the real master via Draco*

*The real problem is that Dumbledore's 4D chess plan couldn't have accounted for Draco disarming Dumbledore or Harry arbitrarily running into Draco prior to the final battle

Oct 26, 2017
He was bad in the books as well. As voldemort and the death eaters move more and more out into the open it becomes very clear Rowling wasn't actually prepared for it. 4 was the last decent one.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
He was bad in the books as well. As voldemort and the death eaters move more and more out into the open it becomes very clear Rowling wasn't actually prepared for it. 4 was the last decent one.
The books heavily rely upon the idea that everyone but Ron's family are racist idiots

But then brexit happened so I guess the series was right

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
NAxfmNx.jpg

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Harry Potter's storyline makes zero sense. This has always been the case. Everyone's a mastermind genius until they actually appear in Harry's point of view. His magic power is nerfing anyone in his line of sight.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. The problem with the movie is that they only explained why Harry won AFTER the fight and thus confusing viewers who were not privy to Harry's internal monologue in the books.

The entire battle always came down to Harry figuring out the wand's bullshit gimmick and that he was the real master via Draco*

*The real problem is that Dumbledore's 4D chess plan couldn't have accounted for Draco disarming Dumbledore or Harry arbitrarily running into Draco prior to the final battle

I think it actually works better for his plans. With how Voldemort thinks, he would never put together than Draco became the owner. He thinks it all has to be done via murder.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
This just reminds me that the entire concept of the deathly hallows was a total disappointment. We went from the build up of the horcruxes at the end of book 6, and how much of an awesome feat it was just to find ONE, to being overshadowed by these silly artifacts that all serendipitously fall in Harry's lap.

El Bombastico

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand how or why David Yates looked at Ralph Fiennes' Jim-Carrey-esque performance and said "Yeah, that's great, Ralph! More of that!"

Voldermort was always kinda a shit villain but at least in the books he could be menacing at times. In the movies that guy acts the villain in a fucking Adam West Batman episode.

Oh, and as always, Fuck JK Rowling.

El Bombastico

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Nagini's actually a woman wouldn't she have had had dominion of the wand meaning that Neville is the true Elder Wand owner if Malfoy hadn't disarmed Dumbledore first?

Congrats, you put more thought into this world building than JK "wizards used to just shit themselves and then zap it away" Rowling ever did.

Oct 26, 2017
Rowling's biggest failure with Voldemort is that she spent so long talking about how scary he is that by the time he appears she doesn't have a clue how to earn that fear and power for him. Nothing about him seems special or extraordinary once he comes back to life.

You've further proven how terrible the Fantastic Beast movies are, and now I can't forget this. God dammit.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This would be true if snape had actually had ownership of the wand, makes voldemort look dumber still
So even if it'd all gone to plan it still wouldn't have worked because Nagini would be the owner.

It actually would've been pretty interesting to have Voldemort realize this and kill Nagini, effectively trading off his last horcrux for this ultra powerful wand to try and take one last crack at killing Harry and his own hunger for power doing him in, and then having him turn around only for Harry to be gone and as he's looking around he gets a sword of gryffindor in the back because Harry was using the cloak.

I mean it's called the Deathly Hallows so the final battle should have more than one invested in it
If Malfoy hadn't disarmed Dumbledore, the wand's power would have broken. Snape would have killed Dumbledore, but it wouldn't have been a true battle to win the wand. Dumbledore's death was pre-arranged. Dumbledore would have died undefeated and no one would be the next owner.
Not necessarily. Disarming a corpse seems to still be an option if where Voldemort found the wand is any indication

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The whole wand thing seemed pointless to me anyway. Harry already had the Gold Fire of Plot Armor save him earlier in the same book. At no point is it established that he even needs the rules lawyering to win. There's just this unspoken assumption that the Elder Wand can totally beat that Gold Fire.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting. Thanks for the answer. I think that ending could have worked in the movie as well.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand how or why David Yates looked at Ralph Fiennes' Jim-Carrey-esque performance and said "Yeah, that's great, Ralph! More of that!"

Voldermort was always kinda a shit villain but at least in the books he could be menacing at times. In the movies that guy acts the villain in a fucking Adam West Batman episode.

Oh, and as always, Fuck JK Rowling.

Some of it honestly is just shit direction.

I remember being baffled when Voldemort started smacking Harry around like a common muggle in the final battle.

El Bombastico

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I remember being baffled when Voldemort started smacking Harry around like a common muggle in the final battle.

Yeah that took me out of the movie, especially when one of the books established that pureblood Wizards saw even using guns as tantamount to cavemen hitting each other with clubs.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I think it actually works better for his plans. With how Voldemort thinks, he would never put together than Draco became the owner. He thinks it all has to be done via murder.
That's true but Dumbledore could have never planned for that sequence of events. Even one wizard practice duel from the first 3 novels could've ruined the entire situation if, let's say, Neville disarmed Draco in a practice match.

Harry walked into victory purely because Draco was the right mix of bully yet good to not do shit until Harry reappeared at Hogwarts

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Instead of a triumphant battle in front of all the characters where Harry gets to talk shit to Voldemort and explain why he's a douchebag, we get a Dragonball Z fight where he gets Thanos dusted at the end

Fuck David Yates and Jk Rowling

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of a triumphant battle in front of all the characters where Harry gets to talk shit to Voldemort and explain why he's a douchebag, we get a Dragonball Z fight where he gets Thanos dusted at the end

Fuck David Yates and Jk Rowling
Does he at least get congratulated in the book?

I've always thought in the movie it was super odd that he kills Voldemort and everyone just looks at him like "oh, ok....anyways"

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah that took me out of the movie, especially when one of the books established that pureblood Wizards saw even using guns as tantamount to cavemen hitting each other with clubs.

Fist fights are seen as savagery, notable example is how McGonagall reprimanded Harry for repeatedly punching Malfoy in the gut after he insulted his dead mother

So that whole thing was absolute OOC for Voldemort

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I've ditched this franchise but I remember being super frustrated that they stuck with Yates for the entire second half of the movies. I enjoyed that the first four movies had a variety of directing styles.

Then they had the opportunity to get a fresh start with someone else with Fantastic Beasts, but... Yates again. If his style didnt mesh with you then you may as well write off the entire movie franchise.

P.s. JK Rowling is the worst.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

I've always thought in the movie it was super odd that he kills Voldemort and everyone just looks at him like "oh, ok....anyways"
Nope. It's even worse in the book. Harry defeats Voldemort. Luna flirts with Harry. The final conversation with Harry, Ron & Hermonie about the Elder Wand. Then the epilogue. Happens in a matter of pages and it's basically fanfic quality

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Theres a really nice moment where they cheer as Voldemort's corpse hits the ground. Really cathartic.

But in the movie it's basically like if instead of the Portals scene in Endgame you just had Iron Man fighting Thanos 50 miles away in an abandoned factory.

But then that really nice moment is ruined for me now because Rowling is TERF trash.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Theres a really nice moment where they cheer as Voldemort's corpse hits the ground. Really cathartic.

But in the movie it's basically like if instead of the Portals scene in Endgame you just had Iron Man fighting Thanos 50 miles away in an abandoned factory.

But then that really nice moment is ruined for me now because Rowling is TERF trash.
Meh. It was literally just a single paragraph and the book immediately pivoted away from it. Wasn't really that cathartic:

One shivering second of silence, the shock of the moment suspended: and then the tumult broke around Harry as the screams and the cheers and the roars of the watchers rent the air. The fierce new sun dazzled the windows as they thundered toward him, and the first to reach him were Ron and Hermione, and it was their arms that were wrapped around him, their incomprehensible shouts that deafened him. Then Ginny, Neville, and Luna were there, and then all the Weasleys and Hagrid, and Kingsley and McGonagall and Flitwick and Sprout, and Harry could not hear a word that anyone was shouting, nor tell whose hands were seizing him, pulling him, trying to hug some part of him, hundreds of them pressing in, all of them determined to touch the Boy Who Lived, the reason it was over at last

I really think the scene was hurt by the next paragraph which was about Voldemort's body being placed near everyone else dead and Luna weirdly flirting with Harry. Then the Ron & Hermonie conversation about the Elder Wand and finally the timeskip epilogue.

There was no time given to breathe.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Meh. It was literally just a single paragraph and the book immediately pivoted away from it. Wasn't really that cathartic:

I really think the scene was hurt by the next paragraph which was about Voldemort's body being placed near everyone else dead and Luna weirdly flirting with Harry. Then the Ron & Hermonie conversation about the Elder Wand and finally the timeskip epilogue.

There was no time given to breathe.
Eh I liked it as a 14 year old. Also I'm fairly sure Voldemort's body was placed away from the others, but it's been a while

Dec 31, 2017
Voldemort was handled overall better in the books. Even in half blood prince, his lore was established a lot better. He seemed overall more competent, and the final showdown was better. That being said, he was still rather superficial as a villain.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I liked it as a 14 year old. Also I'm fairly sure Voldemort's body was placed away from the others, but it's been a while
iirc, it specified that his body was placed in the same room but separate from everyone else. I just think it was a really weird line to include considering the entire post-Voldemort, pre-epilogue part of the novel was only 40-50 sentences long. Him disintegrating in the movie was honestly the better choice.

Last edited: