Oct 29, 2017
To be honest, the Vita was quite a bit more powerful than the OG 3DS and it came out only months later. The N3DS should have been the OG 3DS in terms of CPU power, and the screen should have been of a higher resolution and bigger, with the corresponding increase in GPU power, and it should of course have had a second stick and the triggers. If the Vita could have the chip it had at that price, so could the 3DS imo.

In a different vein, the Vita could have been like the Switch if Sony had had the courage of doing the Switch's form factor. You take the Vita's chip and give it the power the Switch uses, and you could port PS3 games to it no problem.

Vita came out a full year after the 3DS, not "months". And the N3DS tech simply didn't exist back then (Fun fact, N3DS is the only consumer device ever made with a 4 core ARM 11 CPU! It is also the only consumer device with a face tracking, auto adjusting, auto-stereoscopic screen too!).

3DS was also originally supposed to launch in 2010, not 2011, and all the launch systems were manufactured then. Thus Nintendo were limited to 2010 tech; and the 3DS was very good hardware for that time (CPU choice aside).

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good looking 3DS games still looks good but the best looking games came in the first two years, after that publishers abandoned ship apart from low budget stuff.

Stuff like Final Fantasy Explorers looks offensively bad for the specs of the system.

Also people seem to vastly overrate what the Vita was capable of. It's much closer to 3DS than it is to Switch power wise.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo consoles have always been made of old tech. It's their philosophy ("Withered technology with lateral thinking").
All that mattered is that it was an upgrade from the original DS. Games still look good to me anyway. It kind of feels like revisionism to say that people complained about the resolution back then.

Aren't all consoles made of "old tech"? They would be way too expensive if they used the latest and best components.

Also the N64 and the GameCube were very capable and up-to-date machines which were even more powerful than their Sony counterparts (PS1/PS2).

MaxwellGT2000

Nov 5, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Looks the same to me!

Kidding but yeah it's 7 year old hardware compared to a year old, factor in the larger size, the ability to get a fan in there for stronger hardware, and coming out at a higher price point, if you like graphics it's not going to compare, if you like handhelds the 3DS was the king until Switch and I appreciate the console for what it brought at the time.

Nov 8, 2017
It wasn't, and the Vita was.

(I still love my 3DS and Vita, but you can't call 3DS cutting edge. Even if referring to the screen)

It was a mixed bag really. Higher res 3d screens in that price bracket weren't especially feasible so in that sense it could be considered cutting edge. OTOH the internal specs were not close to cutting edge.

Vita's display was cutting edge in a different way and its internals were a lot closer to the best you could get that year. For its price, excellent specs. Shame about the mem cards hah

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Aren't all consoles made of "old tech"? They would be way too expensive if they used the latest and best components.

Also the N64 and the GameCube were very capable and up-to-date machines which were even more powerful than their Sony counterparts (PS1/PS2).

The Nintendo 64 used as a base a cheaper version of a 10 year old SGI workstation chipset.

The GameCube was the last time Nintendo tried to be cutting edge, and even that had a Power PC CPU and Ati graphics neither were new. Anything else follows Gumpei Yokoi philosophy of finding new use for old, obsolete tech.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil Revelaitons though holds up really well. Mercenaries as well. Games with anti-aliasing in general. Mario Kart 7 didn't look very good even seven years ago. They sacrificed everything to get it to run at 60 FPS online.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
games that rely mostly on 2D art or colorful, more cartoony 3D graphics without too much fine detail still look decent. The low rez really hurts other games like Monster Hunter. But Captain Toad, Luigi's Mansion and RE Revelations are still technical marvels that look impressive IMO.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Nintendo 64 used as a base a cheaper version of a 10 year old SGI workstation chipset.

The GameCube was the last time Nintendo tried to be cutting edge, and even that had a Power PC CPU and Ati graphics neither were new. Anything else follows Gumpei Yokoi philosophy of finding new use for old, obsolete tech.
The CPU and GPU were actually quite cutting-edge for when the system was first unveiled in 2000. It wasn't far behind the IBM G3 CPUs used in contemporary iMacs, and the graphics were roughly on par with the GeForce 2 GTS and Radeon 7500 in raw performance. Xbox was super cutting edge GPU-wise though, since when it came out the GeForce 3 its GPU was based off of had also come out around the same time.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It had a horrible resolution at release, even worst than the PSP release more than five years earlier. I honestly can't go back and play 3D games on it on my 3DS XL.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The 3DS was ancient hardware when it launched. It's been really hard to go back to it for several years now. It's not even just the resolution, but the cheap low quality screens make it hard to look at.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
3DS should had Vita's screen resolution.
But no, because Nintendo live in the past century.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The low resolution was never not an issue in general but I always thought it looked just fine for what it was. I don't play mine as much as I used to but it's still a solid little device. Pretty fun to hack and play around with too.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
3ds graphics were always trash to me. I missed out on some good games because I couldn't take it. I'm no graphics snob by any means, but I always hated it. Always a little blurry.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
I still say the 3DS is a fantastic system. I have no problems with the visuals on it and I've had the switch since day one. I've actually gone back to my dsi to play some games I missed. No issues with it either.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The resolution is the worst part. It's why the new iPhone XR is like :S

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I still say the 3DS is a fantastic system. I have no problems with the visuals on it and I've had the switch since day one. I've actually gone back to my dsi to play some games I missed. No issues with it either.
DS is ok to me because of the more simplistic graphics for the most part.
Stuff like Dragon quest 8 on the 3ds looks terrible.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
DS is ok to me because of the more simplistic graphics for the most part.
Stuff like Dragon quest 8 on the 3ds looks terrible.
But Dragon Quest VII looks great. There are lots of 3D 3DS games out there that are a delight to look at. Ever Oasis, Yo-kai Watch, Super Mario 3D Land. Games that were built with the limited resolution in mind.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
3ds has half the flops of the cube and the slower GPU clock speeds showed. True that it has more modern shaders, but it doesn't look as good as the GameCube. See gc ports like Luigi's Mansion, and infamously Xenoblade Chronicles

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
3DS will go down as one of my most conflicted consoles ever. It housed some absolutely incredible games, but the 3D visuals is pumped out were absolutely hideous. Even recent titles like Metroid Samus Returns, when people complimented its visuals I though they were absolutely insane. When Pokémon switched from sprite graphics to the ugly ass 3D in X&Y, I was crushed. I hope Switch can do 3D Pokémon justice, because the past couple gens have sapped out almost all charm from the visuals.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
all these talk that 3ds looks like shit day one..... does people even remember what most games shows during that era lol.

Mario 3d land, Luigi Mansion, FE:W, RE:R , Labyrinth no Kanata and many other games looks great lol.

Comparing one gen with another gen just seems silly lol. I dont suddenly said ps1 games looks like shit compared to ps2. They are literally different gen.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all these talk that 3ds looks like shit day one..... does people even remember what most games shows during that era lol.
It's a small bump from PSP graphics iirc and I bought it day 1.
Vita was huge upgrade but Sony pretty much abandoned it. Say what you want but I love the 3D gimmick though, SM3D was just mindblowing at that time. I wish there was a thread for the best use of 3D gimmick since 3DS will be the king of that.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a small bump from PSP graphics iirc and I bought it day 1.
Vita was huge upgrade but Sony pretty much abandoned it. Say what you want but I love the 3D gimmick though, SM3D was just mindblowing at that time. I wish there was a thread for the best use of 3D gimmick since 3DS will be the king of that.

I mean psp level of graphic during that time is still widely accepted. And 3ds is better than that. Not much but still with proper 3d. It can look numerous time better.

Hell, Ever Oasis also look quite good for 3ds considering how budget the game is.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean psp level of graphic during that time is still widely accepted. And 3ds is better than that. Not much but still with proper 3d. It can look numerous time better.

Hell, Ever Oasis also look quite good for 3ds considering how budget the game is.
That's why it's shit because it's just around psp level. We have Vita along with it and that's levels above psp, there's also mobile games at that time that looks a lot better. It's an underpowered portable during it's time propped up by the 3D gimmick. Ever Oasis looks underwhelming, Capcom and Level-5 did some sorcery with it though.

It's kinda how WiiU was positioned tech-wise, which is again the same with Wii. Hell, Switch is only Nintendo portable to be really cutting edge tech-wise, their philosophy was to use cheap tech which made them bank.

The library of 3DS is just stellar though better than Switch imo, launch aligned, but again the latter is just starting

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
3DS was already graphically old when it released actually... so sure it's a huge difference!

Oct 29, 2017
That's why it's shit because it's just around psp level. We have Vita along with it and that's levels above psp, there's also mobile games at that time that looks a lot better. It's an underpowered portable during it's time propped up by the 3D gimmick. Ever Oasis looks underwhelming, Capcom and Level-5 did some sorcery with it though.

It's kinda how WiiU was positioned tech-wise, which is again the same with Wii. Hell, Switch is only Nintendo portable to be really cutting edge tech-wise, their philosophy was to use cheap tech which made them bank.

The library of 3DS is just stellar though better than Switch imo, launch aligned, but again the latter is just starting

That just isn't true. Even the highest end mobile game at the time (Infinity Blade) compares very poorly with what the 3DS could do, even when ignoring the S3D.

It had practically no dynamic lighting or shading at all. It was propped up entierly by high res textures and was an incredibly limited, on-rails experience with a terrible framerate.

Once again, nobody actually remembers what 2010 mobile tech was actually like.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, switch to 3ds is an insane jump, albeit an unsurprising one. Tiny low res screens and hardware that was woefully outdated in 2011 (closer to the PSP which released when again?) vs. decently modern tablet hardware. The Citra emulator might make the visuals more bearable though. If it emulates without stuttering and sound issues? Of course at the cost of portability...

02-Mario%20Kart%207.jpg
05-The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20Ocarina%20of%20Time%203D.png
32-Metroid%20Samus%20Returns.png

Does anybody have experience with homebrewing the 3DS and ripping the installed games? There are two 3DS games I'd like to play at some point and would still buy if I could rip them and play them on the PC instead (Metroid and Majora's Mask). But I don't think I'll ever get motivated to play anything substantial on the 3DS again. At this point, I'd rather buy Switch ports, if they were available.

Last edited:

nikatapi

Jan 11, 2018
I remember when i first saw RE:R for 3DS and the trailer for MGS, i was very impressed.
It's super low res, but still the 3D makes up for it.
If someone is playing without the 3D turned on, for sure the games will look worse. Still, i think 3DS games look fine considering the time of release, with only resolution holding it back.

Still i think the 3D was so great (and i play on the OG 3DS), and i'm actually missing it on the Switch.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
3DS will go down as one of my most conflicted consoles ever. It housed some absolutely incredible games, but the 3D visuals is pumped out were absolutely hideous. Even recent titles like Metroid Samus Returns, when people complimented its visuals I though they were absolutely insane. When Pokémon switched from sprite graphics to the ugly ass 3D in X&Y, I was crushed. I hope Switch can do 3D Pokémon justice, because the past couple gens have sapped out almost all charm from the visuals.

A lot of the games actually look really nice when emulated in higher resolutions.

It was that original resolution which was the killer.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
It's rough to go back to for sure. I mean it was rough when I got it on launch day.

Main thing that makes it difficult for me to go back to is honestly the size. Makes my hands cramp with 10 minutes.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Vita came out a full year after the 3DS, not "months". And the N3DS tech simply didn't exist back then (Fun fact, N3DS is the only consumer device ever made with a 4 core ARM 11 CPU! It is also the only consumer device with a face tracking, auto adjusting, auto-stereoscopic screen too!).

3DS was also originally supposed to launch in 2010, not 2011, and all the launch systems were manufactured then. Thus Nintendo were limited to 2010 tech; and the 3DS was very good hardware for that time (CPU choice aside).
Of course not the tracking 3D. I mean the other things, like the N3DS's CPU, and a higher resolution screen (360p maybe) with the corresponding increase in GPU power, combined with the same size as the N3DS.
That could have been done. The 3DS sips power and has a tiny battery inside. Having two analog sticks and triggers could have been done too, as well as a decent plastic shell.

Oct 29, 2017
Of course not the tracking 3D. I mean the other things, like the N3DS's CPU, and a higher resolution screen (360p maybe) with the corresponding increase in GPU power, combined with the same size as the N3DS.
That could have been done. The 3DS sips power and has a tiny battery inside. Having two analog sticks and triggers could have been done too, as well as a decent plastic shell.

Again, that CPU did not exist back then. It was not an option in 2010.

And while they could've used a higher resolution screen, it would've greatly decreased overall performance (which was already an issue with having to render the game twice for S3D). The GPU was already clocked as high as it could possible go, and they were already fighting to pull off 2-3 hours battery life with S3D... What do you think an even higher resolution screen would do?

Releasing a console is a delicate balancing act of price, performance and size/heat dissipation. In a handheld, it's even harder because you have to balance battery life on top of that.

If there is one thing that I think Nintendo got wrong with the original 3DS design, that could've reasonably been addressed, it's the decision to target such a small form factor to begin with. Instead of targeting the DS Lite/DSi form factor initially, they should've targeted the DSixl size first (basically releasing the 3DSxl as the standard model in 2010/2011), stuck a larger battery in there and worked on shrinking it down later on. They also should've included the N3DS Zr/Zl buttons and analog nub to begin with as well (but then again, shoulda, woulda, coulda).

Jan 2, 2018
The resolution is really shit. It was already bad when the 3ds came out. Check out 3ds games on emulator on YouTube. They look pretty good at 1080p. The textures on most games are made for much higher resolutions.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017

Mario 3d land, Luigi Mansion, FE:W, RE:R , Labyrinth no Kanata and many other games looks great lol.

Comparing one gen with another gen just seems silly lol. I dont suddenly said ps1 games looks like shit compared to ps2. They are literally different gen.
There were indeed some nice looking 3D games consindering the system limitations.

top_0015copy1eoxc.png

top_0024copy4brst.png

mhs2strqd.png

BRD_0004.mpo

dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king-3ds_2015_08-12-15_003_jpg_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

top_0008m9qx1.png

nano-assault-ex-nano-assault-ex-7_0190000000027076.jpg

cqRje4t.jpg

image2013_0228_1432_4_jpg_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg